shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling madelise!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies....I have been catching up a little here on the last bit. I didn't mean to lurk but I did read the last bits about the school and stuff and making choices. So with that, I just have to chime in.

I am older than all of you. I will actually be 37 in three months. And I started my entire life all over again about five years ago. I actually graduated from college at 20. I had no idea what I wanted to do and took a job that was "expected" and had huge $$$ potential. I hated it. I moved back to the state I went to college and took what I thought would be a temp job doing something I didn't really like because I was not sure what I should be doing. I had a bunch of opportunities including a free MBA (yes I know unbelievably lucky). I got married, settled in. We did well, we spent a lot, we had a huge mortgage. I planned my whole life out. But I was not happy. I switched jobs to something with more flexibility and more autonomy. It was a pay cut at first but I was happier. Then I realized I was happy at work but not at home. After much soul searching, I walked away and there went my plan. Out the window. We had to divide everything, he wanted the house luckily because I didn't. I moved back with my parents!!!!! I was lucky they were close enough but I felt like a kid. Then there was SO, we took a chance and moved in together. Rented a bunch of places moved 6 times in two years. Now we own a beautiful house, we are going to get married. I am going to marry my very best friend. And I took a few years long setback but now I am so much further ahead even further than I would have been if I had stayed with my ex in the first place. Emotionally, financially, career wise. Everything.

So, my long story has nothing to do with divorce and that negative stuff. It has to do with letting go of the plan sometimes because you need to go to plan B. And sometimes that is ok. And sometimes you have to take two steps forward and one step back. I think, at least for me, the idea is accepting it. It's letting go of the path, trusting in figuring it out, realizing you have a partner that can help you get through.

Aud, I know you have to make some difficult choices. And wonder if they are the right ones. They might not be perfect for today but they may be right forw later. Trust in yourself. You will find the best path for YOU, even if there are a few bumps and glitches along the way!!! Plus, I don't know you that well but I don't think you would be happy living like some of your friends you described. It's ok to have dreams and sacrifice to achieve them. But it is ok to change your dreams because new ones come along. Even if it's time with Andrew, less debt and little things. Little things can be big for your happiness!!

Dust to you and all my fellow LIWs. This is definitely a great group!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Phdecorate|1336179219|3187879 said:
Hi ladies....I have been catching up a little here on the last bit. I didn't mean to lurk but I did read the last bits about the school and stuff and making choices. So with that, I just have to chime in.

I am older than all of you. I will actually be 37 in three months. And I started my entire life all over again about five years ago. I actually graduated from college at 20. I had no idea what I wanted to do and took a job that was "expected" and had huge $$$ potential. I hated it. I moved back to the state I went to college and took what I thought would be a temp job doing something I didn't really like because I was not sure what I should be doing. I had a bunch of opportunities including a free MBA (yes I know unbelievably lucky). I got married, settled in. We did well, we spent a lot, we had a huge mortgage. I planned my whole life out. But I was not happy. I switched jobs to something with more flexibility and more autonomy. It was a pay cut at first but I was happier. Then I realized I was happy at work but not at home. After much soul searching, I walked away and there went my plan. Out the window. We had to divide everything, he wanted the house luckily because I didn't. I moved back with my parents!!!!! I was lucky they were close enough but I felt like a kid. Then there was SO, we took a chance and moved in together. Rented a bunch of places moved 6 times in two years. Now we own a beautiful house, we are going to get married. I am going to marry my very best friend. And I took a few years long setback but now I am so much further ahead even further than I would have been if I had stayed with my ex in the first place. Emotionally, financially, career wise. Everything.

So, my long story has nothing to do with divorce and that negative stuff. It has to do with letting go of the plan sometimes because you need to go to plan B. And sometimes that is ok. And sometimes you have to take two steps forward and one step back. I think, at least for me, the idea is accepting it. It's letting go of the path, trusting in figuring it out, realizing you have a partner that can help you get through.

Aud, I know you have to make some difficult choices. And wonder if they are the right ones. They might not be perfect for today but they may be right forw later. Trust in yourself. You will find the best path for YOU, even if there are a few bumps and glitches along the way!!! Plus, I don't know you that well but I don't think you would be happy living like some of your friends you described. It's ok to have dreams and sacrifice to achieve them. But it is ok to change your dreams because new ones come along. Even if it's time with Andrew, less debt and little things. Little things can be big for your happiness!!

PH!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I love your story. I had to read it twice. I'm so happy that you've had a second chance at EVERYTHING!!! Love, career, LIFE!!! Whenever i'm doubtful of my own choices, i will def come back and think of your story. I was actually just resting my head down at work thinking about going back to school again and how i should be in my career right now...and i heard the little "ding" on my iphone and read your story and feel INSTANTLY better about everything. So again, THANK YOU! :) :appl:

and AUD! So glad that you have narrowed it down to not do part time, and are looking into that 2 year program! So happy for you. I just know everything is going to work out for you and A. Everything will work out in time :)

And Star and Madelise...Such good advice too.

You know what, i really love this outlet to talk to everyone here. It's great to see that someone can have a problem, and a few people answer with varying responses. And you can read through these replies, and find a meaning within yourself and things you are going through. YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!

audball

Ideal_Rock
PhD. Seriously. Thank you. Your post is inspirational. A very nice reminder that life isn't just about the destination, the journey counts too. Thank you, very much, for being so open. I'm going with one day at a time, one decision at time. We'll see what falls in to place. Being religious, I know God has a plan for us. We'll find our way.

audball

Ideal_Rock
And rsg -- definitely. This group of ladies seriously is awesome. Better than most women I've met in real life. I'm so glad we can confide in each other and get honest feedback. Thank you again for your support.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1336158194|3187670 said:
Thanks. Yeah, our state doesn't regularly employ SLPAs. Yeah, I'm more frustrated with having to make a decision than upset, really. There are so many options and choices it is hard.

You'll be happy to know that I am seriously considering the SLP consortium track that my school offers. I called my friend who is finishing year 2 of it and she's telling me to go for it. She joined her cohort 2 years ago ONE WEEK before classes started. So she thinks if I emailed the program director that starting this fall wouldn't be a problem. I sent the note, we shall see. I've also applied for SLPA positions in her county. She told me what she makes and it's teacher pay + a stipend for SLP and it ends up coming out to a hair more than I make now! Woot! And summers off (to do practicum for the program) and it finishes in 3 years. She's also receiving a "scholarship" that may still be available that pays 2,500/semester for people in the consortium track. She said her out of pocket expenses have only been about 1,000/semester. It may be a winner all around....

I went ahead and emailed the AuD program director and said that I won't be doing the part time track next year. That I wasn't able to work it out with work (not entirely true) and that I couldn't risk my position here in case admission next year doesn't work out. I'm sure she'll be understanding.

So, dust, please? For things to work out how they're supposed to?

*************************DUST**************************
for things to work out the way they're supposed to :)

2k/year sounds amazing. I'm looking into 50k/year schools! :errrr: You can also look into the federal loan forgiveness for teachers. I attended a NSSHLA meeting a while ago, where a recruiter from the local school district came by to give us pointers. If you end up as a SLP in a public school, she says you can opt for signing up as a "speech teacher" for the first two years, with a small pay difference, and then be able to get the teachers' loan forgiveness of up to ~18k from that loan forgiveness act Obama put out. Anything helps, IMO!

But don't rush into this decision either! Take it slow. Let all the options come and lay them all out on the table, and let em all just sink in. Then go forth when you're ready to.~

(Secretly, I do the happy dance that you're considering to join "the other side" :naughty:)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phdecorate|1336179219|3187879 said:

Thanks for sharing your story, phdecorate! And for letting us in on your life. I'm so happy everything ended up so well for you. It's very inspirational that you had to start all over again at 32. I agree that us "planner types" need to just let go and let fate pan out on its own sometimes. I think all of those seeming "setbacks" in life are meant to happen: they make us so much stronger and wiser in the end. Every little bump in the road is just a blessing in disguise. :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1336181907|3187894 said:
You know what, i really love this outlet to talk to everyone here. It's great to see that someone can have a problem, and a few people answer with varying responses. And you can read through these replies, and find a meaning within yourself and things you are going through. YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!

I think PS has an awesome "type" of user. We're all planners. That's why we're on here: to plan our important purchases and vent because we can't plan every tiny little detail. ;)) And as planners, we view the world in a tweaked version of those free birds out there. We want to see the end picture.. and scrutinize every life choice so that we end up in that end picture we envision.

I think that's why we have great people to turn to for advice, all collected on one jewelry forum. It's not just the jewelry we have in common.. We're diverse in cultural background, in religious preferences, in educational backgrounds, and in political preferences-- but we're all planners. With the planning personality comes the love for researching, and the love for striving for the best. That's a bunch of brainiacs we've got here! I'm just so happy that we have a group here to come to, that understands that "type".. and bounces off some amazing advice :)!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Good morning ladies! So glad that you all seemed to get something from my story. I do agree that there is a certain type of person who goes to PS and then stays around participating and learning. Definitely planners and people reaching out for experienced ideas as well as those not just satisfied with the status quo. Dreamers as well as planners. And I really believe that it is your dreams that get you to where you want to be, not someone else's expectations.

I can tell you that I don't feel "old" but I do look back and realize not just how far I have come, but how much I didn't know and had to figure out along the way. My dad always told me when I was younger how much life would change me and how I really didn't have any wisdom (other than natural intelligence, book smart stuff) because I hadn't really LIVED yet. I always blew it off but I can tell you that at this point in my life, I finally understand. There is still so much out there and the saying about the older you get, the faster it goes feel so true.

You guys have a lot of time. I know it feels like it is going to take you awhile to get where you want to be, but that is part of the reward of finally getting there. I know it's hard to go to school and work (I did that with my MBA) but no different from having responsibilities like kids or a sick parent and having a full time demanding job. There will always be obstacles in life, it's how we conquer them that makes the difference.

I have faith in each one of you. You are all much more driven and mapped out than I was when I was your age. I was too busy chasing a dream I created that I did not even realize it wasn't what I actualy wanted. So all I can tell you is planning is good and reevaluating the plan from time to time is even better.

Listen to the little voices in your head, even when they don't tell you what you want to hear or what everyone else is telling you. Don't be afraid to make the hard decisions. Honestly, if I look back, I should not have married my ex. When he asked me the voice inside said NO NoT YET but the voice outside said yes. Little things like not being able to pick a wedding song because there was not one that MEANT anything should have been another sign, but I glossed over it. Thinking it was dumb when people wrote their own vows because I couldn't even relate to that probably should have been a third sign. It isn't that I didn't love him, its that I should not have made that commitment. So, obviously, if I hadn't, my life would have been completely different. I would have been married to someone else maybe or maybe not head over heels happy. But I would never have met SO. I wouldn't be who I am today. I would be a different person with a different job living a different life somewhere else.

So don't look back and wish you changed it, look ahead. Go for it! whatever it may be!

(ok that is enough of my "wisdom" for now! :saint: :saint: :saint: - - here's to a wonderful day!)

My two favorite quotes:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly. Anon

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. Oscar Wilde

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1336190034|3187980 said:
*************************DUST**************************
for things to work out the way they're supposed to :)

2k/year sounds amazing. I'm looking into 50k/year schools! :errrr: You can also look into the federal loan forgiveness for teachers. I attended a NSSHLA meeting a while ago, where a recruiter from the local school district came by to give us pointers. If you end up as a SLP in a public school, she says you can opt for signing up as a "speech teacher" for the first two years, with a small pay difference, and then be able to get the teachers' loan forgiveness of up to ~18k from that loan forgiveness act Obama put out. Anything helps, IMO!

But don't rush into this decision either! Take it slow. Let all the options come and lay them all out on the table, and let em all just sink in. Then go forth when you're ready to.~

(Secretly, I do the happy dance that you're considering to join "the other side" :naughty:)
Thanks girl. I'm hoping whatever is supposed to happen will work out. I'd ideally like to be moving on school this year, but if I don't get into either I guess I'll be taking a year off. I'll look into the loan forgiveness gig -- idk if that would work for SLPs or not, but maybe!

I knew you'd be happy that I'm considering going to the dark side ;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1336264514|3188372 said:
Thanks girl. I'm hoping whatever is supposed to happen will work out. I'd ideally like to be moving on school this year, but if I don't get into either I guess I'll be taking a year off. I'll look into the loan forgiveness gig -- idk if that would work for SLPs or not, but maybe!

I knew you'd be happy that I'm considering going to the dark side ;-)

dark side? lol!! we just all.. talk a lot.. there's no way we'd be "dark", we'd spill the beans and ruin our plans!

i remember the loan forgiveness only works if you're an SLP in a public school system that works with inner-city kids :X i don't know if you're near an area that counts, but half of LA is dirt poor, so i think most schools count :X :X

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1336397477|3189187 said:
dark side? lol!! we just all.. talk a lot.. there's no way we'd be "dark", we'd spill the beans and ruin our plans!

i remember the loan forgiveness only works if you're an SLP in a public school system that works with inner-city kids :X i don't know if you're near an area that counts, but half of LA is dirt poor, so i think most schools count :X :X
Hahahah. That's probably true! There are definitely inner-city schools in Tampa. I'll look into that.

I heard back from the program director this morning. She said they've already accepted all the entries for the Fall 2012 cohort and even have some on a wait list. She invited me to apply for next year. So same boat as Audiology. Doesn't look like I'll be doing anything in either of these fields this year. Sooo frustrating. I'm just SO SO SO ready to move on.

And now I'm additionally torn about what to do with my job. My friend says there is a VERY strong chance of being hired by a local county where she works as an SLPA. Pay is about the same as I make now and I'd be in the position to enroll in the Masters the following year with a year of experience under my belt. It would also help get me reacquainted in the field since I haven't touched anything CSD in 3 years, including phonetics...

Downside is that in our state you CAN NOT work more than 2 years without being enrolled in a Masters. So If I quit my cushy job now for one of these gigs and don't manage to get enrolled to the program within 2 tries (Fall 2013 or 2014) I'd lose that job too. Seems like the online track is becoming more popular because when my friend joined, she literally was accepted the week before classes started because they didn't have enough interest. Her cohort only has 9 students in it. The one behind her almost doubled to 15. And this year has a waiting list. What if I don't get in?

She gave me the requirements for GPA and GRE. My GPA is.7+ over the minimum 3.2. I have a 3.9ish in the CSD coursework. The GRE is the problem. I'm 10 points (or 1 question) too little on the Verbal from their cutoff. My Quantitative is over 100 points higher than the minimum. I'm literally one freaking question short. I asked the program director if it would be advisable to retake it or just see how it goes. Ugh. I DO NOT want to take the GRE again. My scores will be 5 years old in January of 2014 so I have to be enrolled into a program by next Fall or I'll have to retake it anyway because my scores will be too old.

This.blows.so.much. It feels like everything I'm trying to put together just fails. Epically.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The minimum is 3.2, but what's the average GPA of the accepted student? Compare yourself to that. I'd just retake the GRE if I were you-- they changed it recently anyway so the #s are a little bit different. If you do better, they look at the new score. If you don't, they will keep your old score.

If you do get accepted into the program, you can work more than 2 years? For the duration of your grad program + the year(s) prior? Or is it 2 years MAX?

Do you *HAVE TO* go to your alma mater, or can you apply elsewhere?

You still have a year to decide! Don't rush into anything. I think if you rush into it, you get swept up into the idea, and you'll end up right where you were a few days ago: confused if you REALLY want it or not. Take your time~

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1336402897|3189236 said:
The minimum is 3.2, but what's the average GPA of the accepted student? Compare yourself to that. I'd just retake the GRE if I were you-- they changed it recently anyway so the #s are a little bit different. If you do better, they look at the new score. If you don't, they will keep your old score.

If you do get accepted into the program, you can work more than 2 years? For the duration of your grad program + the year(s) prior? Or is it 2 years MAX?

Do you *HAVE TO* go to your alma mater, or can you apply elsewhere?

You still have a year to decide! Don't rush into anything. I think if you rush into it, you get swept up into the idea, and you'll end up right where you were a few days ago: confused if you REALLY want it or not. Take your time~
I don't know, I'd have to ask them. Either way, I have nearly a 4.0 so my GPA is very likely above average.

I just hated taking the GRE in the first place. I really do not want to re take it. But maybe I should. I mean, the good thing to retaking it I guess would be that my new scores could buy me more time since they don't expire for 5 years. Ugh. I don't know. I suck at standardized tests.

You can work for 2 full time years as an SLPA before you have to be enrolled in a Masters program. At 2 years, you're either in a Masters or you're not. If you are, you have 5 additional years to complete the Masters while you continue working as an SLPA. If not, you can't continue working as an SLPA. Sorry for the confusion. Does that make sense?

I guess I don't have to go to USF, but they are the only ones in this state with an online SLP program that allows you to work and go to school. In the interest of reducing loans and not taking out more than necessary, I'm not willing to go out of state. Besides, both of our families are here and I don't want to leave. I'd only consider USF or UF since my family is in the UF area and his is here in the USF area (and is where we have both lived the last 7 years). And UF would have to be full time student, no job, more loans, so I'm not as inclined to go that route. And I happen to know that USF's SLP program is better than UF's anyway. So long and short, I'm not really interested in going anywhere but USF.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a week! Any new news?

and,

would you consider doing an online program from an out of state school?
California State Uni of Northridge (STATE school. very cheap.)
University of Norther Colorado
Uni of North Carolina
Uni of Wyoming
East Carolina U
Nova Southeastern ;-)*

Edfind used to have an option where you can opt to show a list of schools that offer it online.. and it's been changed ;(

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1336974089|3194697 said:
It's been a week! Any new news?

and,

would you consider doing an online program from an out of state school?
California State Uni of Northridge (STATE school. very cheap.)
University of Norther Colorado
Uni of North Carolina
Uni of Wyoming
East Carolina U
Nova Southeastern ;-)*

Edfind used to have an option where you can opt to show a list of schools that offer it online.. and it's been changed ;(
Not much at the moment. The Human Resources department contacted me about my application and let me know what other things I needed to submit. I know there are a ton of openings, so if I want one, I'm probably a shoe in. I don't know about an out of state online program. Wouldn't the tuition rate still be for out of state students? That'll get way pricer than staying in state and public. I know I can get into USF's, just not this year. I don't know about their programs, but USFs, even though the classes are online, there are two on campus practicums over the summer. If they other programs had something similar, that would probably definitely be out.

I'm thinking if I can get offered a spot that isn't more than a 45 minute drive from my house, that I'll take it. Give it a shot. What the hell, right? I won't know if it's for me if I don't try it!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they offer you the position, are you going to take it? Or are you still on the fence? What does A feel about all this changing of plans?

and HOWS MIMIIIII

(I emailed EdFind to see if they can email me a full list of all distance programs in the US)

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337004924|3194832 said:
If they offer you the position, are you going to take it? Or are you still on the fence? What does A feel about all this changing of plans?

and HOWS MIMIIIII

(I emailed EdFind to see if they can email me a full list of all distance programs in the US)
I am certainly leaning that way.....Andrew is super supportive no matter what. He just wants me to happy!

Mimi is WONDERFUL! She is a sweet little girl. She is sleeping on the couch next to me at the moment. Passed out. WITH a toy, haha.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337018434|3194980 said:
I am certainly leaning that way.....Andrew is super supportive no matter what. He just wants me to happy!

Mimi is WONDERFUL! She is a sweet little girl. She is sleeping on the couch next to me at the moment. Passed out. WITH a toy, haha.

What a lucky girl~ ::)

Isn't it wonderful to have a dog back in your life? I seriously. LOVE. dogs. I love how they don't leave your side, and will knock out keeping you company while you browse PS.

Is Darwin adjusting to having to share your and Andrew's loving?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RSG/LLC! - You started your new classes already, right? How's that going for you? And happy belated birthday!!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1337061476|3195478 said:
RSG/LLC! - You started your new classes already, right? How's that going for you? And happy belated birthday!!!

I don't start classes until september...last summer of freedom :naughty: ! I was going to do the CNA class this summer, but it is pricey at 700 bucks for 6 weeks and my first semester of nursing = me being able to sit for cna exam...so it was kinda dumb to spend the money for something i'm doing in the fall. I haven't talked to my boss yet, but I'm hoping they will juggle around my hours a bit and let me do 1/2 days using paid time off for my first semester, then looking to transfer to a CNA position and cut hours to part time. They have not changed our majors yet or enrolled us in the first class, so i haven't been able to appeal financial aid yet. My parents told me they would loan me the money (no interest!) and we could work out a payment plan after i'm done, so that makes me think i might do that instead of financial aid...So that's where we are on that!

Thank you for the belated b-day wish! My work got me Tip*C cupcakes...they are cupcakes made exclusively with booze. kinda funny since i work in a hospital. Obviously the booze is burned off but they have a very strong scent and taste :naughty: :naughty:

Off topic: That other thread was wrongly accused haha. I have seen some of the "regulars" be downright RUDE and pushy and mean to people when pointing them to a stone, or telling them they got ripped off and they never get moderated...LOL I would have never guessed our thread would have gotten "spoken to". Silly if you ask me :wink2:

what have you been up to madelise?

@aud : glad you are moving forward with trying for that other position! And OMGGGGG today is ring day for you!! I'm so excited for you!!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337061358|3195477 said:
audball|1337018434|3194980 said:

What a lucky girl~ ::)

Isn't it wonderful to have a dog back in your life? I seriously. LOVE. dogs. I love how they don't leave your side, and will knock out keeping you company while you browse PS.

Is Darwin adjusting to having to share your and Andrew's loving?
She's a wonderful addition to our little family. Darwin is doing great. She prefers to sleep on her dog bed next to ours which is A OKAY with Darwin. And she doesn't want to play with him at all, so they are happily coexisting (just as we'd hoped!).

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1337093312|3195623 said:
madelise|1337061476|3195478 said:

I don't start classes until september...last summer of freedom :naughty: ! I was going to do the CNA class this summer, but it is pricey at 700 bucks for 6 weeks and my first semester of nursing = me being able to sit for cna exam...so it was kinda dumb to spend the money for something i'm doing in the fall. I haven't talked to my boss yet, but I'm hoping they will juggle around my hours a bit and let me do 1/2 days using paid time off for my first semester, then looking to transfer to a CNA position and cut hours to part time. They have not changed our majors yet or enrolled us in the first class, so i haven't been able to appeal financial aid yet. My parents told me they would loan me the money (no interest!) and we could work out a payment plan after i'm done, so that makes me think i might do that instead of financial aid...So that's where we are on that!

Thank you for the belated b-day wish! My work got me Tip*C cupcakes...they are cupcakes made exclusively with booze. kinda funny since i work in a hospital. Obviously the booze is burned off but they have a very strong scent and taste :naughty: :naughty:

Off topic: That other thread was wrongly accused haha. I have seen some of the "regulars" be downright RUDE and pushy and mean to people when pointing them to a stone, or telling them they got ripped off and they never get moderated...LOL I would have never guessed our thread would have gotten "spoken to". Silly if you ask me :wink2:

what have you been up to madelise?

@aud : glad you are moving forward with trying for that other position! And OMGGGGG today is ring day for you!! I'm so excited for you!!!!

Enjoy your last summer :razz: and I hope your work will compromise with you! Keep trying to the financial aid, regardless of your parents awesome lending hand. If you don't have to pay for it, go for it :). Its awfully nice of them to offer you the loan though.!

TipC sounds awesome.. but I wouldn't know if I could hang with those! I had a slice of a stronger rum cake this past holiday season, and boy, I glowed! Darn Asian Glow lol. It was at work, too, so it was uber embarrassing. All my pals laughed at me.

I won't (CAN'T) comment anymore on the other threads. Whatever.

And as for me? :naughty: I've been naughty.

I posted in the antiques side (and mentioned in the 2012 preferences thread) about looking for an LA area to view old cuts. Poor boyfriend. He was just 1 week post-op from his surgery, and I dragged him out "since we're in the area", to go look at diamonds! I went to one place that was on the same exact block, and got to see some pretties. Perks is, SO is totally smitten with old cuts! They had one that I wanted to see, but since I didn't make an appointment to let them know ahead of time, that particular ring was out of the office ;( I'll be going back to see it when the BF goes for his 1 month post-op follow up :) just 1.5 more weeks!

I also have an appointment to meet with Grace with JbEG!! So I'm twice as excited! I swear, being on PS for the last 2 years has made these vendors like celebrities to me. Kim Kardashian WHO?! Haha. I'm super excited to be seeing some pretties.

..and I've only got 3 more weeks of school left (for this quarter)! Woohoo!

So things have been extremely well for me :) Thanks for letting me share!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337099581|3195695 said:
She's a wonderful addition to our little family. Darwin is doing great. She prefers to sleep on her dog bed next to ours which is A OKAY with Darwin. And she doesn't want to play with him at all, so they are happily coexisting (just as we'd hoped!).

Thats great to know, aud!

audball

Ideal_Rock
OooOooOo!!! Be sure to fill us in on how it goes with JBEG!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will do :razz:

I'm going to have to remember to bring my dinky little macro lens for my iPhone, and catch lots of pretty videos and pics!!

I also just got an email back from another vendor (private seller thats based off Etsy and Ebay) about a "sold" ring that turns out to be not-quite-sold. Yay I'm so excited! I've managed to find multiple OECs that fit my "need", in our budget, and all local to Los Angeles area so I can see before deciding!

I think the final deciding factors will be price and well.. return/upgrade policies. I'm super nervous and OECs just for the sake that the "true" oldies are usually consigned, and aren't backed with buy-back or upgrade policies. What if one day, I want to rid of it? :sick: I'm nervous about large purchases.. I mean, I doubt I'll want to ever get rid of a sparkly.. but there are always those "what ifs" lingering in my pessimistic, non-risktaking little mind.

Thinking about it too much actually makes my heart flutter in happiness for bling, yet tummy ache in nervousness. I just want the search to be over with, for SO to just buy it and get it over with, so I can take my mind off of it and just wait for when he's ready to propose.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see them!

In other news...I think I may be able to apply for the SLP jobs soon. I checked our student system and my transcripts were sent to the HR department. I emailed the lady today to see if anything else was required.

The school my friend works in is going to have a full time opening this year! It would be AWESOME if that worked out. There's also a posting listed at a nice school that's only a half hour drive from my apartment. That one would be good to.

I'm hating my job. I can't wait to hear if I can get something else and move on....it's time for a change.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337293815|3197711 said:
Can't wait to see them!

In other news...I think I may be able to apply for the SLP jobs soon. I checked our student system and my transcripts were sent to the HR department. I emailed the lady today to see if anything else was required.

The school my friend works in is going to have a full time opening this year! It would be AWESOME if that worked out. There's also a posting listed at a nice school that's only a half hour drive from my apartment. That one would be good to.

I'm hating my job. I can't wait to hear if I can get something else and move on....it's time for a change.

lots of dust for you!! I hope it works out! It'd be great to get away from a job you hate. Extra stress = no bueno. :(

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
ahhh madelise! that is SO exciting. Lucky that you are in such close proximity to go and meet all these diamond gods/goddesses :love: Pics, pics, pics. I need someone to live vicariously through since i will not be seeing bling for a while :naughty:

Aud! Thats awesome that everything is going well so far with the SLP program. Hope you get that job too. I'm sorry to hear that your current job is getting you down :blackeye: I hope that the other prospects pull through for you!

As for me, i talked to my boss today and he said they will DEFINATELY work with me and juggle my hours so i can use PTO. I also didnt want to keep him in the dark about wanting to transfer out asap to a part time position in february. He asked how many hours i wanted to work...we chatted a little and i'm getting the feeling they want to keep me around. I appreciate the fact, but i also want to get into a cna role - something working toward my future career and also part time with more hours avail if i want to work more.

And madelise, i actually told my parents just that. I wanted to try on my own first and go through with the appeals process. They did talk me into books right now, so as of this time they are paying for the books and i am paying them back for the books by the semester. As for anything else, if the loans don't work out, at least i know they are there for me to help - which feels really good.

Also MADELISE! I heard gossip girl is going to have a "shortened" final season! ;( I can't believe next season will be it's last. I am saddened. wahh.

Anndddd its been raining here for what seems to be like FOREVER! This is our first nice weekend in a while and it's going to be 83 degrees on saturday and sunny wahoo! So the FF and I are going to six flags for the day. I am not as excited as him, because i have been there sooooo many times, but they do have a new coaster and i loooove coasters! Now i feel like i can really enjoy summer that all my "affairs" are in order ha ha.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337294864|3197740 said:
lots of dust for you!! I hope it works out! It'd be great to get away from a job you hate. Extra stress = no bueno. :(
Definitely. Let's hope I hear something from the HR lady tomorrow. And thanks LLC :) I Hope it works out for the best.

So good to hear that your boss is going to be flexible! That'll make things easier!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1337304400|3197929 said:
ahhh madelise! that is SO exciting. Lucky that you are in such close proximity to go and meet all these diamond gods/goddesses :love: Pics, pics, pics. I need someone to live vicariously through since i will not be seeing bling for a while :naughty:

Aud! Thats awesome that everything is going well so far with the SLP program. Hope you get that job too. I'm sorry to hear that your current job is getting you down :blackeye: I hope that the other prospects pull through for you!

As for me, i talked to my boss today and he said they will DEFINATELY work with me and juggle my hours so i can use PTO. I also didnt want to keep him in the dark about wanting to transfer out asap to a part time position in february. He asked how many hours i wanted to work...we chatted a little and i'm getting the feeling they want to keep me around. I appreciate the fact, but i also want to get into a cna role - something working toward my future career and also part time with more hours avail if i want to work more.

And madelise, i actually told my parents just that. I wanted to try on my own first and go through with the appeals process. They did talk me into books right now, so as of this time they are paying for the books and i am paying them back for the books by the semester. As for anything else, if the loans don't work out, at least i know they are there for me to help - which feels really good.

Also MADELISE! I heard gossip girl is going to have a "shortened" final season! ;( I can't believe next season will be it's last. I am saddened. wahh.

Anndddd its been raining here for what seems to be like FOREVER! This is our first nice weekend in a while and it's going to be 83 degrees on saturday and sunny wahoo! So the FF and I are going to six flags for the day. I am not as excited as him, because i have been there sooooo many times, but they do have a new coaster and i loooove coasters! Now i feel like i can really enjoy summer that all my "affairs" are in order ha ha.

WTH. I thought I responded to you. :angryfire: I hate that! I always lose my posts! So sorry, I wasn't neglecting this on purpose! I DID respond.. it just got lost somewhere in outerwebz.

You are SOOO lucky that your boss is working with you! You are so blessed! I wish I had that opportunity! Then I'd still have medical insurance, the thing I miss most!

GG having a shortened finale? Por que?! AHHh. I need things as long as possible to entertain me while I'm procrastinating schoolwork!!!

How did 6 flags go? I was *JUST THINKING* about going to a theme park a few weeks ago! I haven't gone on any roller coasters in forever and a day, SO is starting to "get old" and not be able to withstand the stomach churns. I want to go before he gets any "older"!

E. N. J. O. Y. your "last" summer of freedom! lol. Milk it! Do everything you've ever wanted to do, so you don't regret it later when you're too busy trying to cram for things in advance.

----------

I am. Über. Nervous. and Excited. SO is excited too, but he's probably just excited to "get it over with" :devil: even though he wears a smile on his face when I talk about Friday. We have a PACKED SCHEDULE this Friday, but I'm starting it off right with JbEG. I'm also going to make a followup appointment at Claude Morady, an estate jeweler that we visited last week, to see one ring that wasn't there the day I went. I also just sent out an email to Adam at OWD. I should also hear back from another seller on Wednesday or so about another ring. My tummy gets all fluttery thinking about it. I just want to find THE one. the ONE. And never have to upgrade, and never have to change my mind. SO is VERY adamant about no-upgrading, and I can see his point. After buying a house and having kids, it'll be impossible to find true "disposable" income. And that's a LOT of pressure! Is there an emoticon for sick-to-my-stomache?

Are there any OEC for dummies, 411 / 101 threads out there? Audball, have you a clue?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results