shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I Crazy........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
or is my boyfriend a jerk? Would like some honest opinions. Here is goes........... I met Ed almost a year ago. We are both late twenties, out of college, etc.....
When we met, we instantly fell in love. I had previously been in serious long term relationships, but never discussed marriage because I just didn''t see it with these people. Right up front when I met Ed in Oct of last year, we were both like "No marriage for a long time, we are going to try not to rush it." But after about a month (late Nov), our relationship got so amazing that he actually asked me to marry him kind of unofficially (no ring, no telling anyone else). He even said he would marry me right then, but he would rather wait until he had money for a ring. I wasn''t sure, but I knew how much I loved him and put my faith in the fact that he loved me enough to break his own rules to propose to me even unofficially. So I jumped on the bandwagon and said yes, so excited that I actually felt like marrying someone for the first time in my life. We talked about it alot, he even drug me into a jewelry store at the mall one day around Christmas to look at rings. Then after about a month, the talk stopped and I have not heard anything else about marriage until last night, when I asked him what was up.

He said he wasn''t ready to get married, and didn''t see us being engaged until two years from NOW! I told him I wanted to at least be officially engaged, and he said no. We moved in together right around the time we decided to get married unofficially, have already dealt with some major issues and come out great due to high level of communication and love for each other, and share most everything.

I guess I just thought that since we are already committed to each other by living together, I just want to be able to tell everyone else that we are intending to marry. It hurts too, because he was so gung ho at the beginning, and I let my guard down and allowed myself to get caught up in all of it, now I am hurt that he has changed his mind just because we have had some arguments since then. I feel like leaving the relationship, what do you think?

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I don''t think you should leave the relationship. He sounds like a good guy, and you even said yourself that you have great communication and a deep love for one another. So what if he''s not ready to get married yet - he''s doing you a favor to both you and your relationship by saying so. It takes maturity and guts to both realize that and admit it. Wait until both of you are ready, because if one person isn''t - if both people aren''t jumping into the marriage with both feet and on the same page - there will be nothing but problems, and that is a bad way to start a marriage. It sounds like you were both just caught up in the rush of adreneline and emotions that happens to everyone in the begginning six months of a new relationship when he "unofficially" proposed to you. Now that some time has gone by and that rush has worn off, he''s realizing that it may be time to slow down and take things at an easier pace. Marriage is serious and IMO, should not be rushed in to. Live together for awhile first and develop a long-standing relationship, that is my advice!!
2.gif

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Thanks, you are right. I guess I am just hurt because I feel like he "used" to love me enough to do something crazy like that, now I am not "worth the risk". But you are right, and more than likely, I would tell him to wait if he asked. I am getting ring envy!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stacy:

Of course you are Crazy.... Otherwise you wouldn''t be on this forum to begin with. Welcome to the club.

Irish has given you some good advice from one perspective. I hope that is the situation.

However, just thought I would check with another perspective. Is there any evidence that your S.O. is trying to control you life. Limit your freinds, direct what you do, need you to give up things for him, etc ...

If so, then things might not be so good. One of the identifiers of people who emotionally - and later often physically - abuse people are people who want to move in together right away or shortly into the relationship and claim to seek "marriage"...

Now this is just one of many traits, and wanting to move in toghether by itself does not qualify.

But if any of my other list seems to be true - then I suggest that you do some reasearch into the issue (woman abuse) and if other things match (and there are several common profiles) - take appropriate actions (sooner, instead of later).

I hope everything works out for the best.

Perry (also crazy)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Well both IrishEyes and Perry have given you some solid adivce. I am going to come at you from a third point. Maybe he does not want to get married any longer. If you feel like you could leave him then why do you want to marry him? Also if you are living together what will change for him once you are married? Perhaps he just does not see any reason to bother since you are already living together.
Re-evaluate things but I am not sure I would stay in your posistion.

elephant

Shiny_Rock
Well, should you leave the relationship? I don''t know. If he''s wanting to slow things down, then maybe you could do the same -- and just move out and see how things go? I will admit that I''m not a huge fan of the living together before commitment because a) it doesn''t really give the guy any incentive to actually get married and b) you get all attached without an actual commitment and it''s actually really hurtful if it doesn''t come to fruition. Ok, enough about that. But, if I were in your situation, I would be honest with him about your feelings. Could you ask him what changed?

It seems to me that you all decided to move in together based on this anticipated level of commitment (maybe you would have anyway, not sure....) -- that you would get engaged. Now, that''s not really on the table or you feel like it isn''t. Could you say something like: I was under the impression that the whole reason we did this is because we were working towards marriage and now that that is not certain, I don''t know that I feel comfortable continuing this living situation.

A couple of questions:
You know, something that occured to me while I was writing this, is -- did you ask him WHY he didn''t feel ready?

What do you mean when you said: "Break his own rules?" Did he say something about not wanting to get married?

Overall, I can definitely understand why you''re upset. You counted on what he said to be the case and now things have changed and you feel it''s unfair. And, it could be as simple as he got caught up in the moment and now is taking this more seriously and wants time to really develop the relationship. And that''s good? But, overall, I would be very honest with him about how you feel. If you feel like he''s stringing you along, well, then I wouldn''t continue if you genuinely feel like he''s not going to propose, if that''s what you want.

My bottom line with FI was: "If you can''t be a part of what I want eventually and within a reasonable time frame (i.e. a marriage and family), then my time is too precious to continue in something that is not leading anywhere, so it''s really up to you [him]...."

Good luck! :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mat makes some good points. If you are thinking of leaving him and this situation (which I think you should consider...but don't do anything on impulse) then why would you still want to marry him if he were interested?

Also it's bizarre to me that he asked you to marry him unofficially after a month, you guys moved in together, and now it's been almost a year and there's been absolutely nothing said since then??

Having been in a position where I lived with someone intending it to probably be the marriage route and then 3 years later leaving the relationship...I decided I would not again live with someone unless we knew for sure we were getting married rather than live together 'to see' or because it was fun or whatever. Myself and my hubby moved in together 2 months before getting officially engaged. To me the living together thing to many guys is kind of in lieu of an engagement or moving fwd. Many guys do not want things to 'change' if you are happy and are unengaged and living together..to them it's like why ruin a good thing.

ETA I think you should value yourself and your time and decide what is right for YOU in this relationship, discuss it with him to see if you can both be on the same page and agree on some sort of compromise... and if you cannot see eye to eye...maybe you should think about moving on.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks guys. ALL of you are giving great advice. I guess to clarify a bit, both of us take marriage very seriously, and have been in a lots of relationships where we knew the other person wasn''t marriage material. So, we kind both "broke our own rules" about talking about such a serious subject so early in a relationship. Yes, I let him move in with me anticipating an engagement, and am now disappointed that he feels that he is not ready (I kind of feel like "So you will live me, but you won''t officially commit to anything long term? Even an engagement? I don''t get it")

I did ask some questions, and he promised to propose within a year. So we will see. I wouldn''t really leave the relationship over this, I guess my pride was hurt that I had to be the one to break down and say "what''s going on?" I hate looking like I am trying to beg him to marry me (I am not, but it just kinda feels like that).

All of his friends are married and the wives have these ginormous rocks that they wave in my face all of the time. I just kinda feel like I am "illegitimate" because we live together, I do all of these same things for him that these women do for their husbands, but I am not a part of the club. His friends are very important to him, and it seems like he doesn''t want to admit to them that he is that serious with me.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
You know what.. the same thing sort of happened to me, but it was the other way around. My fiance and I started talking about getting married right away.. We just sort of always knew we would. Then, right before our one year anniversary he started talking seriously about getting a ring, getting engaged.. etc.. I was sick over it.. I loved him SOO much and he was the most important thing in the world to me, but I was soo afraid to make that commitment at that point.We were REALLY young (I was 21, and he was not even quite 20) I didn''t know what to do, and it caused a lot of pain and stress in our relationship for a long time... because he always felt the same way.. like he wanted to marry me right THEN..
But slowly, our relationship sort of re-evolved. We went past being "crazy" in love and got to the point where we were just IN LOVE.. and knew we had to be together forever.. you know.. Anyway.. about a year and a half after the initial "Scare" sure enough.. I was ready to be engaged, and now we are! We are getting married in May!

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Congrats Melissa Sue. You guys have helped me out more than I can say. I am pretty sure I don''t want to get married right away, I think I was just hurt and stunned by the change of mind he had.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2005 8:46:04 PM
Author: stacyQ
Wow, thanks guys. ALL of you are giving great advice. I guess to clarify a bit, both of us take marriage very seriously, and have been in a lots of relationships where we knew the other person wasn''t marriage material. So, we kind both ''broke our own rules'' about talking about such a serious subject so early in a relationship. Yes, I let him move in with me anticipating an engagement, and am now disappointed that he feels that he is not ready (I kind of feel like ''So you will live me, but you won''t officially commit to anything long term? Even an engagement? I don''t get it'')

I did ask some questions, and he promised to propose within a year. So we will see. I wouldn''t really leave the relationship over this, I guess my pride was hurt that I had to be the one to break down and say ''what''s going on?'' I hate looking like I am trying to beg him to marry me (I am not, but it just kinda feels like that).

All of his friends are married and the wives have these ginormous rocks that they wave in my face all of the time. I just kinda feel like I am ''illegitimate'' because we live together, I do all of these same things for him that these women do for their husbands, but I am not a part of the club. His friends are very important to him, and it seems like he doesn''t want to admit to them that he is that serious with me.
To me, this is really a warning sign. Why the heck would he NOT want to admit to his friends that he is serious about you-...especially since you said all his friends are married? I have a lot guy friends who when they found "the one" couldn''t wait to introduce her to their friends.

I won''t go on a whole tangent about living together before marriage (or at least living together without being engaged) but it sounds like he doesn''t have an incentive to marry you since you just admited you do all the things wives do for their husbands anyway. He''s got all the benefits of being married without the commitment in front of him. Something isn''t right about that. My grandmother used to say - and it really is true as I have seen it with my friends -- "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". I know that''s pretty crass but I have seen it time and time again.

So he gave you the promise to propose within a year. What will change by then? Why this arbitrary timeline of one year? I''m not trying to sound cold but it sounds like a line to me.

You said in your first post that you two have this great level of communication. If that''s the case, why did you have to feel guilty about asking him what the heck is going on?

I obviously don''t know all the in''s and out''s of your relationship, but this sounds soooo much like a similar situation one of my friends went through. "Chris" met this guy and had a whirlwind romance and they moved in together about a month after the met. He gave her lines about how she was the one, how he had never felt like this before, yada yada yada. Promised they would be engaged within a year. That year came and went and nothing. Chris didn''t say anything because she was afraid of rocking the boat and pushing him for something he wasn''t ready to do. Another year came and went. Like you, she did all the things for him a wife does for her husband. He kept saying "I already feel like we''re married". Finally after almost 2 1/2 years of them living together she finally asked what was going on. He gave her the "I''m not ready" line and told her within the year. Chris finally realized this was just a line. He was perfectly happy playing house and didn''t care if he had the comitment in front of him or not. She gave him 6 months - after that she was out of there. She was an emotional mess throughout those 6 months. Finally the deadline came. No proposal, no ring, no mention of marriage. She almost broke down and gave him more time, but she finally realized she had to be true to herself. She said leaving was one of the hardest things she''s ever had to do. He begged and pleaded for more time, even cried when she left. She said once she got to her new place, she felt like a weight had been lifted off her chest. It was very hard, and for a while we all thought she would get back together with him as she kept talking to him on the phone. She finally ended it. About a year later she met her now-husband. Last we heard, her ex-boyfriend was living with another woman.

I obviously can''t tell you what you should do, but it sounds like there are some serious issues to think about. Just remember to please be true to yourself and that you deserve the very best. If Ed won''t commit to you, then you deserve to find someone that will. Heck, do you still want to even marry him? These are questions only you can answer.

I too had to leave a dead-end relationship. I wasn''t living with the guy but it was still very hard to do. I was depressed for a while, asking if I did the right thing, why wasn''t I good enough to marry, etc. I realized that I am the only one capable of making myself happy and if the situation I was in wasn''t making me happy, it was up to ME to do something about it.

I hope all works out for you and that I am wrong about Ed.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Jellybean: You are totally right that what you said could be the case. I am in the process right now of trying to sort out what is real about the situation and what is just magnified by my insecurity. I honestly don''t know what he has told his friends about me. I am making a list of questions for for him that if I don''t get more than vague answers to, will herald my departure from this relationship (this was inspired by all of the great advice I have gotten here). I agree with the cow analogy, and I really didn''t intend for things to turn out this way, but here I am and I am trying to clean up the mess I made. I would never suggest that anyone live together before marriage if you REALLY want to marry that person, it is too frought with expectations.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Stacy-

I''m sorry that you are going through this. I too have know too many people in this situation and unfortunately it hasn''t turned out how one person wanted it to. I realize I don''t know him (or you) and I''m not meaning to sound like I''m making sweeping judgements. However, if a man says ''all the right things'' at the very beginning, he wants to reel in the woman in his life as fast as possible to have that ''companion'' there. That''s it. Sometimes it goes no further and he is perfectly happy with that, while the GF is waiting to make it official. I''m not saying he won''t change his mind, but search through everything that you two have said to each other honestly. Do you really feel like that''s what he wants? Do you know in your heart if marriage is what YOU want? If so, don''t ever settle for anything less- you are worth far more than being ''the person he lives with.'' I told my BF long ago (when he was talking about possibly getting a place together) I said why? I''m not your wife. He was upset but I told him if I''m good enough to have around 24/7, then it shouldn''t be a problem to make it the real thing. We aren''t engaged yet (though it supposed to happen by the end of the year) but I value myself more than that. And he knows it. It''s time your BF knew that, too

Honestly, if asking him what is going on makes you feel bad, you have your answer. It''s your future too.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stacy! You''ve already received a ton of great advice and it seems like it helping you to get clear about the future of your relationship. All I can add, is that I wish you the best in making your decision (either way). At a time like this you need support, so I am giving you mine. Just try to focus on what you want to happen with regard to your relationship, ask the direct questions and if your BF does not seem to be on the same path as you, put some real consideration into that. Good luck!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stacy:

I belive Jellybean hit the nail on the head. I just asked to be removed from the list. Want to know the key issue that I have been struggling with. "D" was not interested in telling everyone about me. Now we worked on the issue for a while, but, in the end I was not that important to her (at this time), and she really was not willing to support my dreams and goals because I was not that important to her. I finally got her to admit it.

My advice: Get Out Now.

If he was interested - he'd be sharing you with all of his freinds, talking about you, and defending you.

Perry

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Stacy,

How''s it going? Any updates to how the conversation went? I hope all is well and working out for the best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results