shape
carat
color
clarity

watch gurus - ulysse nardin?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you think of this watchmaker for ladies watches?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
specific question:

I'm looking at a ladies michelangelo. Secondhand. I know ladies watches often are quartz watches. I think this one is mecha quartz? I'm a watch noobie, but wondering what exactly this means?

I have two quartz watches. They're fine, but there's no soul in them obviously. I'd like watch with a little bit of soul.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that watch movement is like the Citizen Eco Drive or the Seiko Kinetic, where the mechanical movement part doesn't load a spring with stored energy, but generates electrical energy with charges a rechargeable quartz battery. So I'm pretty sure it is quartz, it is just that you don't have to change batteries.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much ksinger! It seems like it does have some mechanics, but that you're right.

Here are the pics...

Front.jpg

back.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
side:

full.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297124687|2846050 said:
Thanks so much ksinger! It seems like it does have some mechanics, but that you're right.

Here are the pics...

Nice looking. However, before you jump, since you like the tonneau shape, you might want to check out Ebel. They have some gorgeous tonneaus with cool faces similar to that one. I'm not sure what your price range is, but take a look. Ebel is a very nice watch...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ksinger, I will take a look. Thanks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took a look at the ebels ksinger. They are pretty! I currently own two watches - nothing special...overpriced quartz stuff but I like them. One's an old gucci and the other is the baume & mercier hamilton with a blue face. I have a thing for blue faces.

I thought I'd get an even more conservative watch in the sense of a black leather strap, etc. I like the one I posted because it still has a blue face, but other than that is pretty low key - nothing that is going to knock your socks off which is what I'm going for. But still, I'd like to have something that's cool on the inside, and it seems this may not be it.

I don't have the budget to buy some of the really cool stuff, but it sure is fun looking. I am SO sick of pulling out my cell phone to get the time...wasn't bad on my blackberry, but on my new smartphone it sucks because it's always buried in my bag since it's not in a holster like my blackberry was. I could wear my old watches (what a novel idea!) but what fun would that be? (I'll probably do just that anyway).

ETA, I think my B&M is a hampton, not hamilton. Boy, can't remember!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297141184|2846313 said:
I took a look at the ebels ksinger. They are pretty! I currently own two watches - nothing special...overpriced quartz stuff but I like them. One's an old gucci and the other is the baume & mercier hamilton with a blue face. I have a thing for blue faces.

I thought I'd get an even more conservative watch in the sense of a black leather strap, etc. I like the one I posted because it still has a blue face, but other than that is pretty low key - nothing that is going to knock your socks off which is what I'm going for. But still, I'd like to have something that's cool on the inside, and it seems this may not be it.

I don't have the budget to buy some of the really cool stuff, but it sure is fun looking. I am SO sick of pulling out my cell phone to get the time...wasn't bad on my blackberry, but on my new smartphone it sucks because it's always buried in my bag since it's not in a holster like my blackberry was. I could wear my old watches (what a novel idea!) but what fun would that be? (I'll probably do just that anyway).

ETA, I think my B&M is a hampton, not hamilton. Boy, can't remember!

Well, women's watches are a bit tricky. Because of their size being smaller (in general) they've almost been exclusively quartz. Nothing against quartz, but as you say, pretty dull in terms of fun factor. And I find them generally fluffy. Style is great and all, but I appreciate classic watch styling and function, so dammit....put the numbers in the right place, in readable font, thank you very much.

I really tend to gravitate towards men's watches. They're cooler. I bought my husband a Hamilton Khaki .... King? a couple of holidays ago, and I've been known to swipe it on occasion, although at 38mm, it is at the upper limit of what I can really wear. But is has the cool window on the back to watch the movement. Mmmm!!

I have several watches. An old Bulova, and a Fossil with a cool irridescent blue/green face. One Wittenauer that I wear almost all the time because it is a good size (25mm) and is very thin, and the styling is classic and no-nonsense. The other is a larger (31mm) silver guilloche faced Accutron with diamonds and a black leather band. It didn't cost an arm and a leg yet I get lots of compliments on it. I really need a black face, or a tonneau. Or a black face tonneau! ;)) Maybe one day I'll be able to spring for that Ball Lady Trainmaster I love....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1297162792|2846444 said:
Well, women's watches are a bit tricky. Because of their size being smaller (in general) they've almost been exclusively quartz. Nothing against quartz, but as you say, pretty dull in terms of fun factor. And I find them generally fluffy. Style is great and all, but I appreciate classic watch styling and function, so dammit....put the numbers in the right place, in readable font, thank you very much.

I really tend to gravitate towards men's watches. They're cooler. I bought my husband a Hamilton Khaki .... King? a couple of holidays ago, and I've been known to swipe it on occasion, although at 38mm, it is at the upper limit of what I can really wear. But is has the cool window on the back to watch the movement. Mmmm!!

I have several watches. An old Bulova, and a Fossil with a cool irridescent blue/green face. One Wittenauer that I wear almost all the time because it is a good size (25mm) and is very thin, and the styling is classic and no-nonsense. The other is a larger (31mm) silver guilloche faced Accutron with diamonds and a black leather band. It didn't cost an arm and a leg yet I get lots of compliments on it. I really need a black face, or a tonneau. Or a black face tonneau! ;)) Maybe one day I'll be able to spring for that Ball Lady Trainmaster I love....

Yes, I've been reading a few of the watch forums that the watch lovers here have posted, and it's been fun to learn. But I want more feminine watch, as I have a tiny wrist and men's watches don't look right on me. I don't want to play for pure fluff...even though some of that fluff is gorgeous! But I guess watchmakers (rightly) believe that most women don't care.

I'd love a round face watch, but haven't found something I really adore. I'm always drawn to rectangular/tonneau ones. Which is the one you want...post a pic!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger, if you are still reading this...

I'm reading a bit more and am thinking if it's a mechanical watch, but auto, it's not a quartz. It is just self winding, right? VS a traditional manual mechanical watch. I think the watch in question is more than that, as it has some long power reserve that doesn't really make it a real auto mechanical watch, but I'm not sure. Boy, this stuff is kooky.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1297186227|2846660 said:
ksinger, if you are still reading this...

I'm reading a bit more and am thinking if it's a mechanical watch, but auto, it's not a quartz. It is just self winding, right? VS a traditional manual mechanical watch. I think the watch in question is more than that, as it has some long power reserve that doesn't really make it a real auto mechanical watch, but I'm not sure. Boy, this stuff is kooky.

OK, I'm answering my own question here (and talking to myself I believe, but hey) but it does seem to be a quartz watch, just no battery as you mentioned.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh I'm around, just not at liberty for long replies. ;))

Later!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...here is the one I wear pretty much daily. It is a Wittenaur Ambassador, and is NOT silvery, it is all gold-toned, so don't let the pic fool ya. It is 25 mm and only 5mm thick. I replaced the black band with a dark brown rougher leather. It is a great size - not too small to read, but not huge either.

Wittenaur_watch.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is one I've been eyeballing for quite awhile. It's an Accutron Saleya in brown and rose gold color. (Must be that redhead thing)

Accutron_saleya.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...and you like blue-faced mechanicals, here's a pretty one... JS Watches, from Iceland...

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 08 21.10.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ksinger!

I passed on the ulysse...it WAS an autoquartz. The seller was awesome and initially thought it was mechanical, but called his authorized dealer and the dealer confirmed what we both said. Plus I decided forget low key...I think I want bling, hehehe.

I love the bulova you posted, and I LOVE your watch! I used to have a massive watch fetish, but that was just in general that I loved them, not that I appreciated the fine workings of one. Now I feel it coming back, but as someone who is not far from 40 and wants to treat herself. Might take some saving though!

I don't know why I love blue faces, but I do. They soothe me. But I think maybe MOP is the way to go. So many choices. I do know that my next watch will not be a quartz. I have two totally serviceable ones and don't need another.

DF posted a women's A.Lange & Sohne watch that I nearly fell over for...but obviously THAT will never be in my possession!

I saw a few Zenith watches that I liked, but those are pricey too. I think I need to go watch shopping!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh DF, hubba hubba! :love: And yes, the first one was the one, except you initially posted it in white/MOP, I believe.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Ulysse Nardin DF? I'm not partial to it...it was just a watch I was considering and now have passed on.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297228239|2847357 said:
Oh DF, hubba hubba! :love: And yes, the first one was the one, except you initially posted it in white/MOP, I believe.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Ulysse Nardin DF? I'm not partial to it...it was just a watch I was considering and now have passed on.
TG..i don't know enough about UN to give you an opinion.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1297230082|2847380 said:

WHAT? I thought you knew all about watches? What is the point of having you around here if you can't help with this manly stuff? :rodent: :tongue: ;))

How about a good women's watch with mechanical movements? Let's say budget is anywhere between 1-5K.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297230295|2847383 said:
Dancing Fire|1297230082|2847380 said:

WHAT? I thought you knew all about watches? What is the point of having you around here if you can't help with this manly stuff? :rodent: :tongue: ;))

How about a good women's watch with mechanical movements? Let's say budget is anywhere between 1-5K.

JLC?
http://www.prestigetime.com/items.php?brand=34&series=1303

if i had your money... ;))
http://www.swissluxury.com/patek-philippe-watches-complicated-watches-ladies-annual-calendar.htm

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow that last one is really beautiful DF...even though it isn't blue. ::)

JLC is definitely on my radar. Think I'm going to have to go down to newport beach to traditional jewelers the next time I get my haircut and try watches on.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297232721|2847417 said:
wow that last one is really beautiful DF...even though it isn't blue. ::)

JLC is definitely on my radar. Think I'm going to have to go down to newport beach to traditional jewelers the next time I get my haircut and try watches on.
the next time when i'm in the area i will do some window shopping at TJ.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a nice store, and I've gotten good service there. I bought my pendant there and was pleased.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang yer hide, TGal. Now you've got me jonesin' for watches again. I had put that particular vice on the back burner, and now I'm drooling again. Grrr! ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry ksinger! But they are such pieces of art, aren't they? :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results