shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian jet snake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Now my Victorian jet snake.

I bought this piece from a woman at a flea market I frequent. She sells pretty high-end antique jewelry at pretty high prices, so I've never bought from her before, but I always assumed she knew what she was talking about. But when I asked about this snake, she told me it was a "French jet art deco necklace."

Jet is a relative of coal, a hard, black, lightweight stone made of fossilized organic material. It was very popular in the Victorian period for mourning jewelry. The term "French jet" refers to black glass meant to look like real jet. So I said, "Are you sure it's French jet? French jet is glass. This feels like real jet to me."

She got a little huffy and said, "It IS real jet. Real French jet from the Art Deco period. It's typical of that design style." The piece is currently strung on elastic cord. She said, "You can wear it lots of different ways: Knot it around your neck, knot it around your wrist as a bracelet, or just let it hang as a lariat."

I don't know much about French deco period, but what this piece IS typical of is English jet jewelry of the 1870s-90s. Snakes were popular in 19th century England after Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria a snake ring. They represent eternity.

A jet snake bracelet like this should be strung on springy wire to wind around the wrist. I'm trying to decide whether to restring it on wire. I think it would be easier to wear that way. It's 24 inches long.

jetsnake6.jpg

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif

That is SO COOL. So you think it's real jet, but the woman said it was glass jet? Or did she just not know what "French Jet" means?

His snakey face looks like he's smiling! I think you should string it on wire so it can be worn as intended.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, ts44!

Sorry, I guess my little anecdote got rambly and unclear.

The seller thought it was real jet, made in France in the 1920s-30s deco period. By "French jet" she meant "jet made in France," although the term usually means "black glass made to look like jet."

Actually, it''s real jet, probably made in England in the late 19th century.

I was just surprised that someone who sells a lot of really nice 19th century pieces wouldn''t recognize such an utterly typical English Victorian piece.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that''s really cool and he has such a cute little face!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 4:49:53 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you, ts44!

Sorry, I guess my little anecdote got rambly and unclear.

The seller thought it was real jet, made in France in the 1920s-30s deco period. By ''French jet'' she meant ''jet made in France,'' although the term usually means ''black glass made to look like jet.''

Actually, it''s real jet, probably made in England in the late 19th century.

I was just surprised that someone who sells a lot of really nice 19th century pieces wouldn''t recognize such an utterly typical English Victorian piece.
Wow Glitterata,You post some pieces that are so fun to discuss.This is no different.Ive waited a bit to post so I could think on this one a bit for the following reasons...1-this piece does have the ear marks of an english victorian jet piece...but has so many earmarks of an art deco piece!Heres what im thinkin.
1- victorian
The shape of the snakes head is like a victorian piece as well as the deep hand carved intricate design(very much like the cut crystal glass pieces of the victorian era)The multi coils are a sign of a victorian bracelet.The size is victorian as jewelry was bigger in scale.This looks to be genuine jet as seen in the photo.
1-Deco
The deep carving has a strong African feel to it.There was a strong trend in early art deco that used African influences.The famous 1920s entertainer Josephine baker used this style of art deco in her french stage shows(feathers around her ankles, head dress, and all)This multi coil piece would have been worn as an arm band,bracelet or neck piece.The multi faceted surfaces on the beads are very deco and sophisticated.The eyes are carved circles which is again very African and ethnic in design.The victorian heads in some cases are left smooth without eyes.
These are the reasons Im hesitant to commit because either way could be correct.One thing is for sure...I again bow to your great eye and great taste in jewelry and collecting.So amazing!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting, Jewelerman!

In general I think you''re way more likely than me to know about a piece of jewelry, but I''m close to 100% sure this bracelet is Victorian rather than deco. Take a look at this page:

Victorian jet examples

My bracelet is identical to several of the bracelets on that page, as well as in reference books.

It''s true that the snake motif continued through the deco period. But I''ll eat my hat if mine isn''t a Victorian piece.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 1:22:20 AM
Author: glitterata
Thanks for posting, Jewelerman!

In general I think you''re way more likely than me to know about a piece of jewelry, but I''m close to 100% sure this bracelet is Victorian rather than deco. Take a look at this page:

Victorian jet examples

My bracelet is identical to several of the bracelets on that page, as well as in reference books.

It''s true that the snake motif continued through the deco period. But I''ll eat my hat if mine isn''t a Victorian piece.
After seeing the examples you have found,i must whole heartly agree that you have found a victorian example and are 100 %correct.I have seen many of the other examples shown on the page ,but didnt know until this posting with multi-photos(you learn something new everyday in this biz)that the carved head,faceted bead body, coil style was so common in this period.Now I see that the carved arm bracelets ive seen in photos worn in the Deco period are probably these exact examples revived because they had the African carved flavor needed for the look.I am now going to re- research victorian jet jewelry and see what else ive missed!What else have you got for us to discuss!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results