shape
carat
color
clarity

Stunning Locket

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hey there,

I''m not sure if I''m even in the right place, but everyone here seems friendlier than some other sites.
26.gif

I''ve got a soft spot for jewellery, I''ve been waiting for a locket which is big enough to put a picture of my son in.

My partner has given me a stunning engraved locked, apparently it''s from 1840-1860. But there''s no marks. It looks like it''s silver plated on copper? and the engraving is amazing.

I''ve got no idea where to start, who to ask etc. I''d just like some information on it. Has anyone got any ideas?

x x

Here you go.

It doesn''t show just how detailed the engraving is. You can see every tiny flower, the shoe buckles, the knots on the tree trunk... etc,

It''s soooooo stunning!!

x

stunning.locket.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

I''ve seen a LOT of lockets from that period and this one doesn''t look quite like anything I''ve seen, so I''m really intrigued.

More photos, please! Back, front, inside, bail, hinge, locking mechanism. Close ups (use the flower icon on your camera, and try using the flash but holding a piece of white paper over it to diffuse it).

What are the dimensions?

Did it come with a chain?

Are there any hallmarks?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 7:01:56 PM
Author: little.miss.sunshine
Here you go.

It doesn''t show just how detailed the engraving is. You can see every tiny flower, the shoe buckles, the knots on the tree trunk... etc,

It''s soooooo stunning!!

x
You do have a real stunner there!The locket looks like its done in a neo-classical revival style.The motif of the classic greek statue and columes and nature would suggest a date of 1840-1860.The style was very popular just before the civil war.Also silver with colored gold as detail was being used.Do you have any marks on the piece to show us.The piece has very nice detail for a plated piece or costume piece.thanks for sharing...looking foward to hearinf what Glittereta has to say about thid locket!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's clearly a locket about love. The lady and gentleman are kneeling at the temple of what I bet is Venus, with little cherubs (amoretti?) flying around getting their garlands of flowers in a twist.

The couple seem to be wearing clothes and hairdos from the 1840s-50s, the romantic period when the poets Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning had their great romance.

Large silver lockets were very hot a little later, in the 1870s and 80s. This one seems early for its size and material (if I'm right about how big it actually is).

The material is also really puzzling. It looks too well made to be silver-plated copper. I would expect something that detailed to be made of silver or gold.

I'm hoping more photos will shed light on this delightful puzzle.

Where (geographically) did your partner find it? When you post more photos, can you include one with a standard coin for scale (a quarter, pound, euro, or whatever they have where you are)?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s quite a stunning locket! Congrats!!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I love antique jewelry and your locket is stunning. I love the detail on the front.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that''s very intricate and beautiful, a lovely heirloom piece. Good luck finding out more details.

P.S. Is it just me or are you tempted to put a piece of paper on it and do a crayon or pencil etching?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results