shape
carat
color
clarity

How to clean diamonds in silver setting?

jerseygrl

Rough_Rock
DH just got me lovely john hardy pave diamond earrings that are set in sterling silver- I am worried about how I can keep these beauties looking shiny and new..

My silver cleaning solution says do not use on gemstones and I just use ammonia for my diamond/platnium jewlery

Is there any solution that is safe to use on both silver/ diamonds??

Thank you!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 11:39:30 AM
Author:jerseygrl
DH just got me lovely john hardy pave diamond earrings that are set in sterling silver- I am worried about how I can keep these beauties looking shiny and new..

My silver cleaning solution says do not use on gemstones and I just use ammonia for my diamond/platnium jewlery

Is there any solution that is safe to use on both silver/ diamonds??

Thank you!!
no ammonia for silver jewelry.My recommendation is hot water and liquid dish soap and keeping the earring away from make up,creams, perming solution and hairspay that will turn the sterling dark and coat the diamonds.store in plastic zip bag when not in use.what does the designer recommend?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wearing a silver ring a lot will keep a "tarnish" from developing but it will develop a "patina" that is actually desired. however, if you''re looking for that new, bright, shiny silver look, i''d contact the store the ring was purchased from and/or the designer. there may be info at his website re care.

mz

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have a few pieces of gemstone jewelry in silver but have been doing what jewelerman says to do. So far it has worked great but I don''t wear the pieces a lot.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For tarnished pieces, I use the foil and baking soda solution.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
no ammonia, no peroxide, no bleach, the only think I use on silver is toothpaste like toms of maine or a soft pencil eraser

Kgougasian

Rough_Rock
Hiii!! The only way to do this is Broil Hot water with baking Soda! and it will shine right away... Don't use too much sprays or Lotions!

Judicious

Rough_Rock
Yes, I agree with you all don't use ammonia. Instead of using ammonia, bleach or any other spray you can use lukewarm water with baking soda. Cleaning with toothpaste is also a good option for silver setting.
Hope these will help you...............

OliiaThacker

Rough_Rock
Locate a mild dish soap and pour into a bowl. Add warm water and allow bubbles to form. Place your jewelry into the bowl. Silver pieces with diamonds are ideal for this type of cleaning. Soak for about 30 minutes. Remove jewelry from water and 1 by 1, hold each piece over a second bowl of clean rinse water. Gently scrub with the old toothbrush. Then gently it in the clean rinse water.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the earrings have any intentional blackening or tarnishing to highlight the details? If so, do not use any of the tinfoil/salt/baking soda/hot water home remedies that proliferate on the Internet. It will remove this detailing and leave your earrings looking unfinished. Not knowing what the earrings look like or how they are constructed, what comes to mind for me is that I would use a silver polishing cloth to polish the silver, and then a dish soap and hot water depth to keep the diamonds clean and sparkly.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1460046355|4016590 said:
Do the earrings have any intentional blackening or tarnishing to highlight the details? If so, do not use any of the tinfoil/salt/baking soda/hot water home remedies that proliferate on the Internet. It will remove this detailing and leave your earrings looking unfinished. Not knowing what the earrings look like or how they are constructed, what comes to mind for me is that I would use a silver polishing cloth to polish the silver, and then a dish soap and hot water depth to keep the diamonds clean and sparkly.

Great point! I've done this :( Had to Google some strange hardboiled egg trick to retaining then carefully clean (NO diamond in ring). It would be a shame to remove any intentional antiquing or oxidizing on the silver. Happy cleaning :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use paste silver polish and then clean out with toothbrush and dish soap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results