Do You Have a Favorite Gold Designer?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 3:42:32 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 6/26/2005 6:40:32 PM
Author: canuk-gal
I have seen neither--but wondered which YH pieces you saw and if their website pictures did them justice. We will be in California this year--and wondered if it worth it to track his stuff down somewhere (I know Gurhan is available at NM).

Sharon,

I saw a number of pieces in the store, trying on a few, and then saw a catalogue with many, many more pieces. I tried on a thin bangle and a stackable gold ring with a tiny, bezel-set diamond. I didn''t try on, but did buy a pair of earrings: each has a gold ball hanging from an earwire. I thought that if I was going to see some Gurhan that having a piece of Yossi Harari would help me to compare colors. That means it was bought for research purposes only and anything bought for science, doesn''t count. So I didn''t spend any money. And Mara''s cake ( for 10,000 postings) will have no calories, based on the same principle. I mean, she posted to help others if not for science, right? It''s all the same. Money, calories, science. Just trust me on this.

Deb
HI:

Of course--but since you''ve no formal plans for hypothesis
2.gif
testing, may we at least see your new bobbles? In what karat gold?

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 4:43:51 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Of course--but since you''ve no formal plans for hypothesis
2.gif
testing, may we at least see your new bobbles? In what karat gold?

Sharon,

I believe Yossi works only in 24K gold, but that-unlike Gurhan, he uses solid 24K gold while Gurhan places 24K gold over platinum (presumably for strength?). His work and Gurhan''s are very similar. In fact, both of them produce their jewelry in Turkey!

I cannot find a photo on the ''net of the earrings I bought. (I''ve been trying!) I did find photos of some of Yossi''s classic designs, however, and will try to post them. When I return home to Virginia (where I have software for photos on the computer) I will post a photo that I take of my Yossi earrings, however!

As to whether Yossi''s website does justice to his jewelry: I don''t know. I find his website very hard to navigate. Did you know that if you click on names of magazines on his website that photos from those magazines come up and then that if you click on the name of the piece of jewelry someone has on that you see an "official" photo of it? That site needs a search feature desperately!!!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These earrings by Yossi Harari seem to be very popular. I saw them in the store yesterday. They are called, "Espresso" earrings.

YossiEspressoEarrings.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are one pair of Yossi Harari''s Gold Jerusalem earrings, the ones with white biwa pearls. He uses these small gold squares in many "Jerusalem" pieces. In his catalogue I saw that one could even buy small, square, gold studs.

GoldJerusalemBiwi.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a Jerusalem necklace by Yossi Harari.

YossiJerusalemNecklace.jpeg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a site with some interesting high-karat gold jewelry. www.kathleendughi.com .

Most of her stuff is way too contemporary to my taste, but it is interesting. Apparently all of her pieces are hand forged..whatever that means.
20.gif

She has a little shop in Mill Valley, CA. She mounted my Mom''s asscher for me years ago...

widget

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 5:44:19 PM
Author: widget
Here''s a site with some interesting high-karat gold jewelry. www.kathleendughi.com .

Most of her stuff is way too contemporary to my taste, but it is interesting. Apparently all of her pieces are hand forged..whatever that means.
20.gif

She has a little shop in Mill Valley, CA. She mounted my Mom''s asscher for me years ago...

widget
HI:

Thanks for this link. I liked a handful of pieces--chains especially--but the golden tahitian pearls and use of colored stones were greatly admired by me...including the turquoise and coral.....

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 5:44:19 PM
Author: widget

I like a lot of Kathleen Dughi''s jewelry, but it looks like a lot of other jewelry at which I have been looking recently. The wedding bands that are part silver metal and part 22K yellow gold remind me of the bands I saw by Ursula Scholz. The stack rings are done by absolutely everybody. The bands in rose, white, and yellow gold with diamonds set in them look familiar. The black diamonds are being used by Gurhan...and I am sure everybody else. Maybe it is always like this...when something is in fashion it is all that you see!

Deb

internallyflawless

Rough_Rock
look at alex sepkus and YURI ICHIHASHI....

alex''s work is extraordinary alex''s website is www.alexsepkus.com - not sure if Yuri has a website

It''s 18K gold but has a very interesting look!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2005 1:01:30 PM
Author: internallyflawless
look at alex sepkus and YURI ICHIHASHI....

I had seen Yuri Ichihashi's work before. When I was interested in buying a gold mesh scarf, someone posted a picture of one Yuri designed (with matching earrings). I am pretty sure I had also seen Alex Sepkus'work, but hadn't internalized his style. A lot of what he does is too complicated for my taste, but he has designed some round gold earrings, each with a diamond set in its center, which I love! I also like his apple shaped "Orchard" earrings that are set, I believe, with tzavorite.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the Orchard Earrings (or one of them). I wish I could find a photo of the other gold earrings by Alex Sepkus that I like!

AlexSepkusOrchardErgs.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the round, gold Alex Sepkus earring I like so much!

Deb

AlexSepkusRoundGold.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2005 9:16:41 PM
This is the round, gold Alex Sepkus earring I like so much!

Deb
HI:

That apple is adorable--elegant and simple, just my style.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I went into a jewelry store to see some Alex Sepkus earrings...and discovered Buccellati! While much of the Buccellati jewelry is far too ornate for my taste, I absolutely loved an engraved bracelet with diamonds. (I liked the smaller one.) The price tag was such that I could not just buy it on a whim. It''s a bigger purchase, more in line with the tennis bracelet and ruby ring I hope one day to buy!

Here it is!

BuccellatiBraceletandmore.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another Buccellati design I absolutely loved!

BuccellatiNecklace.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.38 carat unset diamond. I wonder if it would look in proportion if set in a ring of this size. (This is a Gurhan spessartite ring.) I also wonder if it would be safe, given that Gurhan uses platinum under 24K gold.

GurhanSpess.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
AGBF: I think your diamond in that ring would be sensational!!

I've been meaning to pop in here and say how much I've enjoyed this thread. I even went "looking" for a new favorite high karat gold designer, but couldn't find anything as nice as the ones you've posted.

I love Bucellati! and particularly the more contemporary pieces you posted. It's amazing to me how recognizable and basically unchanged their designs are, even after YEARS!

I did find this designer: Carolyn Tyler...who seems to specialize in "convertable" jewelry: detachable pendants, etc. For example this necklace I'm posting can apparently be worn six different ways...

widget

iyg.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, widget! What a great designer! I love her website! Thank you for posting this information!

Deb

CarolynTylerRings.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 8:04:35 PM
I have a 1.38 carat unset diamond. I wonder if it would look in proportion if set in a ring of this size. (This is a Gurhan spessartite ring.) I also wonder if it would be safe, given that Gurhan uses platinum under 24K gold.
ok, now you''ve done it: spess and 24K gold!

what is the purpose of the Gurhan technique? won''t the 24K wear off the platinum?

peace, movie zombie

Rezi

Rough_Rock
I want to chime in and introduce Lapponia, which is to me the ultimate Finnish Jewelry designer & manufacturer - probably best known internationally. Their jewelry is made of rich yellow gold (also silver and platinum) with high quality craftmanship, and the designs are very special. You either like them or not. I personally love some of the pieces, but unfortunately own only one item (the little cross) from the collection.
15.gif

http://www.lapponia.com/

What do you think of the designs?

-Rezi

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2005 4:14:12 AM
Author: Rezi
I want to chime in and introduce Lapponia

What do you think of the designs?

Rezi-

I have not yet checked them out, but believe me, I will! I have been admiring the rings in your icon for days. Are they high karat gold? Who designed them?

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2005 1:03:59 AM
Author: movie zombie

what is the purpose of the Gurhan technique? won't the 24K wear off the platinum?

I honestly do not know the purpose of it. I was assuming that, since platinum is less flexible, that it gave a piece a solid core. The gold on top of that would be more malleable and impressionable (as 24K gold is) and give the impression of a solid gold piece (which can be dented, etcetera) without as much chance of losing the basic shape of the piece. Bill Pearlman carries the Gurhan line. Maybe he, or one of our resident goldsmiths (Richard Wise, Andrew Lane) will give us their thoughts on this.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2005 4:14:12 AM
Author: Rezi
I want to chime in and introduce Lapponia, which is to me the ultimate Finnish Jewelry designer & manufacturer - probably best known internationally. Their jewelry is made of rich yellow gold (also silver and platinum) with high quality craftmanship, and the designs are very special.

http://www.lapponia.com/

That link does not work for me, Rezi. Not with Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer. :(

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This link to Lapponia does work for me:

Lapponia

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Lapponia jewelry is not really my taste. I find it too assymetrical. I did think that these earrings were attractive, however. They are called, "Way to the Light" and were designed by Pekka Hirvonen.

LapponiaEarrings.jpg

Rezi

Rough_Rock
Well, like I said - you either like them or you don''t..
9.gif

Other famous (at least inside Finland) Finnish manufacturer is the Kalevalakoru. The jewelry combines historical heritage and modern life. I would dare to guess that almost every female Finn owns at least one piece of Kalevalakoru jewelry.
Hope this link works for you..
http://www.kalevalakoru.com

(Design below is once again one of my favourites - "Kalevankarhu". 14K gold. Very small pendant, though in the picture it looks huge)

1135.jpg

Date: 7/5/2005 6:40:14 AM

Rezi-

..... I have been admiring the rings in your icon for days. Are they high karat gold? Who designed them?

Deb
And back to my rings again
2.gif
The diamond ring has been designed and manufactured by Suokko Jewellery - the small jewelry shop owned and run by Iiro Suokko. I could say that Iiro is somewhat a diamond cut pioneer in Finland, because his shop specializes is selling diamonds with excellent cuts. He has introduced ideal scope to us local consumers and given much needed knowledge on cut of diamonds on local forums (like in timanttifoorumi http://www.timanttifoorumi.com , which is our Finnish substitute to your Pricescope - a bit smaller scale though).

My ring is 18K gold. The colour is just a bit more yellow that you might have been used to. It is still quite typical colour of gold in Finnish jewelry, as you might have noticed from the Lapponia designs.

Here is Suokko webpage. Unfortunately it doesn''t really cover the whole collection and should need updating.
http://www.suokko.com/

-Rezi

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here are some "estate" Lapponia pieces I found...c. 1970s

The gold chain and silver pendant were designed by Bjorn Weckstrom...the guy who designed Princess Leia''s necklace for "Star Wars"

widget

lapponia.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Rezi...

Do you have any more detailed pictures of your ring set? It looks just fabulous!!

widget

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results