shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Have a Favorite Gold Designer?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S You can also press leaves and other objects into it to get patterns.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a little time yesterday to take additional pictures of a few high karat gold items yesterday. This time, I got a little smarter and added in a 25 cent coin aka quarter to help with size reference. First off is the Lily pendant again.

Lilypendant1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lighting is quite poor and I took these pictures at the vault room with only a single fluorescent lamp.

Lilypendant2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last picture of the pendant.

Lilypendant3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn’t as nice as the Lily pendant but keys are typically gifted at the age of 21 to signify independence.

keypendant1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this one is 91.6% which should translate to 22K.

keypendant3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 99% or 24K bracelet that DH picked out for me. The design makes it incredibly flashy.

braceletgift1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contrasting background with quarter reference since my wrist shots were a disaster.
9.gif

braceletgift2A2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moving on to earrings. I think these are 22K since they cannot be too soft as earrings.

hoopearrings1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As usual, DH picked them out as he has far better taste in jewellery than I do.

hoopearrings3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what’s the weight on it but this piece is incredibly substantial. Again, it is 22K gold and passed down through several generations.

heirloombracelet1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dangly part shows a little flying bird. I expect this to be at least 50 grams in weight and you will see why once I post the next set of bracelet pictures.

heirloombracelet3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only wrist shots that work. I was gifted with this pair from my in-laws during my wedding. Both are 24K and the larger of the pair is 28 grams.

weddingbracelet2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A second wrist shot. These two are quite typically Asian in design but I am only posting them because they are substantial pieces.

weddingbracelet3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Proof on the tag that it is 99% pure gold (24K) and weighs 28 grams.

weddingbracelet4A.jpg

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Oh Chrono all of those pieces are gorgeous! Love the bracelet DH picked for you [harmony ball] quite femenine
30.gif
As for the larger bracelet timeless.... thanks for posting
30.gif

ETA omg, I think I recognize one of the bracelets lol [small world] Loving all of your pieces.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,

I am dying of envy. This is the way I often feel when iluvcarats posts her collection of jewelry: overwhelmed with the sense that I can never compete and own all of that richness! I will have to accept that I wasn't born into a family with generations of heavy, pure gold jewelry among its treasures...and live vicariously through you! I love the enlarged photo of the key that shows its detail. The two heavy bracelets are simply grand, too. (Not that I would reject the one your husband bought you that sparkles so much!) It is all too much...and that is a wonderful thing.* Thank you so very much for sharing it with us!!!

*I remember (possibly incorrectly) William Blake having said, "Enough! Enough! Or too much!". That sums it up.

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 2:09:20 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
1/20/2010 1:33:53 PM
Author: Rachel9

Congrats on your purchase now.......I WANT a hammered band
Well, then you should get one! I almost got the satin one I just mentioned from dianafinejewels on EBay, where I could have gotten one for a fraction of the cost of the one I am having made on Etsy. (I believe that my hammered gold ring was from one of the eBay vendors in Turkey.) The only reason I did not was that while I was corresponding with dianafinejewels I was not sure that they understood English well enough to give me the correct size. I probably underestimated them; after all a ring size isn''t that hard to understand, but I was worried. (I had never used the relatively new dianafinejewels before.) I might have gotten the hammered ring from Atlantis (Turkish vendor selling on eBay) or maybe it''s a Gurhan one I got from minata.
34.gif

The rings pictured below are from dianafinejewels and are sold on eBay.
Sorry AGBF, forgot to thank you for the links above, I''m still on the fence: I want a hammered and /or a swirly band
30.gif
can''t decide yet. While looking for a charm the other day, I stumbled upon this bracelet
5.gif

21kF.jpg

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been lurking on this thread for a bit, loving the bracelet galore, All beautiful
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/26/2010 7:27:55 PM
Author: Lulie

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, loving the bracelet galore, All beautiful
Well...you're no longer lurking! So keep posting! Welcome, Lulie!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/12/2010 12:24:52 AM
Author: Imdanny

AGBF, have you considered becoming a gold designer? If you did you'd be my favorite gold designer.
17.gif
Danny,

Thank you so much for saying this. I am not sure in what way I have ever showed any creative ability whatsoever, but it pleased me enormously to read what you wrote above. I have been looking for gold charms on-line and have not been finding charms of a quality that I liked. It has been making me want to ask a jeweler to make up some charms. Up until today the two that I had in mind were simply a frying pan and a pot with a lid. I had seen one nice, vintage, frying pan charm and kept a picture of it. I was going to ask that someone make it a little larger and in 22K gold...just tweak it a little for my purposes. It had good lines (unlike most frying pan charms). I had also seen one pot with a lid that was moveable and I saved that picture. I had the same idea about that charm, that it could be tweaked.

Just now, however, I wondered if anyone had ever made a charm of spaghetti. I did a search and found absolutely nothing. I thought about what a great charm it would be, and how popular! I wondered about whether gold wire would make good spaghetti. One could also put gold clay through a garlic press. I am starting to wonder if necessity is the mother of invention in the case of high karat gold charms! Will I end up designing my own gold charms just because no one else will do so for me?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Your friend,
Deb (AGBF)
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 7:03:00 PM

Date:

Well, then you should get one! I almost got the satin one I just mentioned from dianafinejewels on EBay, where I could have gotten one for a fraction of the cost of the one I am having made on Etsy. (I believe that my hammered gold ring was from one of the eBay vendors in Turkey.) The only reason I did not was that while I was corresponding with dianafinejewels I was not sure that they understood English well enough to give me the correct size. I probably underestimated them; after all a ring size isn''t that hard to understand, but I was worried. (I had never used the relatively new dianafinejewels before.) I might have gotten the hammered ring from Atlantis (Turkish vendor selling on eBay) or maybe it''s a Gurhan one I got from minata.
34.gif

Sorry AGBF, forgot to thank you for the links above, I''m still on the fence: I want a hammered and /or a swirly band
30.gif
can''t decide yet. While looking for a charm the other day, I stumbled upon this bracelet
5.gif
i think that bracelet should be copied into a smaller version as a ring!

mz

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 11:13:40 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 1/26/2010 7:03:00 PM

Date:

34.gif

30.gif
5.gif
i think that bracelet should be copied into a smaller version as a ring!

mz
Oh MZ....maybe after the hammered band project? j/k
2.gif

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I love Gurhan... he often uses high karat gold and I love that his pieces have an organic, slightly ethnic feeling.
Check it out here: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/gurhan-jewelry

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/15/2010 4:12:57 PM
Author: Gleam

I love Gurhan... he often uses high karat gold and I love that his pieces have an organic, slightly ethnic feeling.
Check it out here: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/gurhan-jewelry
Gleam,

We have discussed Gurhan a lot in this thread. I have bought some of my Gurhan pieces from Bill Pearlman to whose site you linked us. Did you have any particular piece in mind that you wanted to point out? If you are new to this thread, welcome!

AGBF
34.gif

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I'm loving this thread and
34.gif
After checking Gurhan site I'm totally scared. Never knew bangles could be so expensive! 3 thin ones for 3k? coworker comes to mind: she wears SIX!
9.gif

ladysweet

Rough_Rock
I am new to this thread, and i am very impressed, checked out the link above in regards to gurhan Orhan, I have never heard of him before, his rings are so unique and beautiful! One of my favorite designers is Sonia Bitton, a lot of her designs are very exotic, and like Orhan, pretty pricey, but the pieces are to die for. check out www.soniabdesigns.com, & www.soniablive.com for a coupon to save a little $ off of her designs.
Is Orhan''s design''s available anywhere else?

lil425

Shiny_Rock
AGBF -

I would love to have a 22 or 24k hammered gold bangle made for me. I would like it to be solid, on the thin side and rounded all the way around. Can you recommend someone to contact to have this made? I have read most of this thread on this snowy day and you seem to be very knowledgeable about yellow gold. I am falling in love with yellow gold!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/26/2010 10:15:38 AM
Author: lil425

I would love to have a 22 or 24k hammered gold bangle made for me. I would like it to be solid, on the thin side and rounded all the way around. Can you recommend someone to contact to have this made? I have read most of this thread on this snowy day and you seem to be very knowledgeable about yellow gold. I am falling in love with yellow gold!
Welcome, lil-

There are many people out there who can make you a bangle of the kind you describe, and many bangles that you can find already already made that fit that description, too. If I wanted a bangle custom made now, however, I would go either to Rupert at Grunberger Jewelers in Stamford, Connecticut or I would contact =tags&includes[]=title:2o8h065d]kateszabone on Etsy. Rupert is definitely the more expert goldsmith. He is a highly experienced bench jeweler who has worked in the finest jewelry shops in Greenwich, Connecticut. If I wanted great 24K bangles to rival Gurhan's I would ask Rupert to make them, but they would not be cheap. If I wanted simple but reliable bangles-maybe thin ones-I think I would contact Kate.

Is that at all helpful? Can I tell you something more?

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/22/2010 3:05:44 PM
Author: ladysweet

Is Orhan's design's available anywhere else?
Hi, ladysweet-

I think that in this thread we discuss Gurhan jewelry being available at Pearlman's. When you ask if it is available, "anywhere else" do you mean besides at Pearlman's? It is available at many high end retail stores, both jewelry stores and department stores. I would have thought that some of the places where it can be found had been mentioned in the thread somewhere (not that you can be expected to remember it!). I cannot keep track of exactly who carries Gurhan, but I know that the on-line jewelry website called minata used to. I think that Neiman Marcus carried it. Stores called Richard's in Greenwich, Connecticut and Ed Mitchell's in Westport, Connecticut carry his line. So does Ylang23. I would just do a search on-line or go to the Gurhan website if I were looking for a retailer.

AGBF
34.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results