shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs: How are screwbacks and are they uncomfortabl

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering how diamond earrings would stay on the ears (I've lost gemstone studs many times) .
Today at the jeweler, he told me that he could get me a diamond pair of earrings with screwbacks - they sound painful - how do they work? is this what everyone wears to secure their diamond earrings???

:confused:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Diamond studs: How are screwbacks and are they uncomfor

I have stud earrings with screw backs. It's painful to push the post through the earlobe. It also takes quite some time to screw the back piece on. So I rarely wear those earrings.

I also have stud earrings with "Protektor" (a.k.a. "La Pousette") backs and posts. The Protektor backs are much easier to put on and take off than the screw backs. They are just as secure, if not more so, than the screw backs. They are very comfortable to wear. I love them.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

My newest studs have screw backs, but only because they are larger studs and I feel much more secure with that. Ordinarily, I prefer plain old friction backs, as I wear 5 pairs of studs all at once, so if they were all screw backs, it would be such a production to get them in and out for cleanings. I like that they're more secure, and I don't find them at all uncomfortable. I have heard some mention that they think it's uncomfortable, especially putting them in.

Cookie: Do you have to have special posts for la pousette backs, or do they fit with regular old posts for friction backs as well? I think they would be a better choice for me, but I'd rather not have to have all the posts of my earrings changed.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

well, i kept losing a backing off of my studs (1/8 carat each) when they were the regular, snap-on backs. so i had the jeweler switch them to screwbacks. he warned me that the posts for screwbacks have to be thicker to allow for the threading, and that many women find the thickness makes their lobes sore. i was determined that's what i wanted, so i went ahead with the change anyway.

i no longer wear them. the extra thickness did bother me *a little* but probably not enough to stop me from wearing them. however, the posts were also longer and dug into the area behind my ears which hurt, and they were a pain to put in and take out because it takes forever! since i like to clean my diamonds fairly often, i quickly tired of doing this and finally just left them out. also, because it took so long to get the backs off, it required handling my ears more, which also irritated my ears. so all around i just began to dread wearing them!

i want to switch them back to snap-on posts & backs, and just ask them to be sure they both have a very tight fit.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

manderz|1317947078|3034925 said:
Cookie: Do you have to have special posts for la pousette backs, or do they fit with regular old posts for friction backs as well? I think they would be a better choice for me, but I'd rather not have to have all the posts of my earrings changed.

Yes, I believe the la pousette backs require special posts.

Below are two pictures of the la pousette posts and backs. The stones are not diamonds. Hope the Admin will be OK with me posting them, solely for the purpose of showing what la pousette posts and backs look like. The stones are 6.5mm in diameter, just to give you some idea how big the backs are. There might be larger backs available, but I never checked.

backs.jpg

posts_backs.jpg

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

I like my screwbacks, I don't find them uncomfortable at all but they do take longer to take off.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock

I am not a fan. They hurt my lobes going in and worse, I actually found one dangling out of my lobe at the airport - the back had come loose and the post was ready to fall out! If you get them make sure you tighten them every single day (I used to sleep in those). Eventually switched to the push on back.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found screwbacks to be very painful - it really hurt to take them in and out, and my earlobes became very sore. I switched to regular posts and extra large backs, and they seem very secure. Some people wear screwbacks with no problems, though.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock

I have no problem with the screwbacks and they are not painful. They take a little longer to put on or take off, but that's the point isn't it? I've had and worn my screwback studs nearly every day for 18 years and have never lost one.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock

iluvdiamonds2|1317945288|3034910 said:
I was wondering how diamond earrings would stay on the ears (I've lost gemstone studs many times) .
Today at the jeweler, he told me that he could get me a diamond pair of earrings with screwbacks - they sound painful - how do they work? is this what everyone wears to secure their diamond earrings???

:confused:
The back or earring post screws in and out. I have them on my studs, they are a pain to take on / off. I guess that's the point - to keep diamond studs secure!

stci

Ideal_Rock

Go for la pousette lady, you will like it!

smc7277

Rough_Rock

I have screwbacks on my .50 ttw, and 1.0 ttw diamond studs and the first few times I wore them they were harder to get in bcse the posts are somewhat thicker. Otherwise no problems.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

I have a pair of screw back studs and I love them! The posts are thicker but once i started wearing them it only took a day or two for my lobes to get used to the larger size. I have never lost an earring but I have lost a back before so I have just made it a habit to check them periodically to make sure the back are in the right place. Also I had a pair of la pousette (sp) backs and they broke almost immediately and I lost my sapphire stud :(

jessilee99

Rough_Rock

I have 2 pair of screwback diamond studs,and I don't have any issue with comfort...but I have lost seriously 3 earring backs. Over the course of a day, the backs just come unscrewed and fall off. Because my earrings are platinum, the backs are expensive little buggers to replace. I have tried to be diligent about checking daily to make sure they're screwed on far enough, but too many times I'd reach up to check that they're screwed on to find one gone. The other part of that, is I'm so paranoid about losing the backs and therefore the earrings, I keep them screwed on so tightly they're not comfortable. I see a reset/new posts in my future.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock

Future Mrs. Williamson!!|1318020891|3035537 said:
I have a pair of screw back studs and I love them! The posts are thicker but once i started wearing them it only took a day or two for my lobes to get used to the larger size. I have never lost an earring but I have lost a back before so I have just made it a habit to check them periodically to make sure the back are in the right place. Also I had a pair of la pousette (sp) backs and they broke almost immediately and I lost my sapphire stud :(

I think all earring backs have to be replaced eventually... if you take then on and off enough. The difference between screw and la pousette is that the screw backs fail over time...and the la pousette fail very quickly and dramatically. The springs just snap and the back falls off.

It's happened to me twice now.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, so I was so happy and exciout the pousette backs but now I'm not sure which one! I don't want to lose them, and I dont' want my ear lobes to get sore.....Any other options for us?

:wavey: :read:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

iluvdiamonds2 said:
Wow, so I was so happy and exciout the pousette backs but now I'm not sure which one! I don't want to lose them, and I dont' want my ear lobes to get sore.....Any other options for us?

:wavey: :read:

I know!! I don't know a single person in real life who's ever had la pousette backs, even having worked at a jewelry store, so I'd never heard a review til now. Guess I'll stick with my screw backs, at least for my larger studs.

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock

MrsBettyBoop|1317952106|3034995 said:
I like my screwbacks, I don't find them uncomfortable at all but they do take longer to take off.
Ditto this. But I don't usually take mine off. I have lost one back over the years, so now I check them (habitually) throughout the day.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

you could get regular friction backs...that's what I have with my studs and so far no problems. I assume I will have to replace the earring backs at some point.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock

I've had La Pousette backs for years and am very happy with them, never had a problem. But maybe I was just lucky?!

I was considering getting screwbacks for the earstuds that I'm about to buy but now I wonder. My ears are very sensitive so I'm just not sure anymore...why is it always so complicated when it comes to diamonds :D

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

I have fairly large studs (2.5 carats total) and I just have the regular friction backs. They fit securely, they are comfortable to wear, and I haven't had any problems with them coming off in almost six years of regular wear. I have heard from friends that the screwbacks are uncomfortable and can lose their threading over time. With any stud have a jeweler check them now and then.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always use plain friction backs too - my 2.5ctw studs will be mounted w/ plain friction backs, double-notched posts.

Screwbacks hurt my ears and get tangled in my longer hair and unwind themselves, I used to worry constantly about losing an earring. I tried La Pousettes but the spring locking mechanism broke right away - I may have just got a bad pair, but that scared me off them too. I have extra large (9mm) friction butterfly backs in sterling, 14k, and 18k, and I wear the same backs for all my earrings! I tighten them every couple of months with pliers - just push the butterfly ribbons in and down a bit.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I use plain friction backs. I haven't lost a back in years, but I check them several times during the day, and always when in the changing room at the department store. That's where I lost one many, many years ago.

Screwbacks hurt like H*LL. That's why I don't wear them. Whenever a jeweler comes on here and says they are comfortable, I wonder if he (it's generally a he) has ever worn them? Take a regular screw and saw the threads across your arm a few times, and see how comfortable that is. :evil:

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

1. What are friciton backs?

1. What is the most popular size for diamond studs (so they show up and are noticed)??

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had screwbacks on my first pair of diamond studs. My sister now has them or I'd take a comparison photos of the posts for you.

I found the posts to be wider than normal. It didn't bother me much on my bottom holes unless I hadn't worn anything in a few days. On my top holes, they wept nearly everytime I put them in. The posts were too wide for my ears and just shred the ear holes. If I wore them for a few days it was fine. I needed to remember to check the backs sometimes as they could come slightly unscrewed over the course of a couple of days.

My second set of diamond earrings were normal backs. I liked them and don't recall having any problems with them, but I did lose them about a year after I bought them. Not because of the backs, I think my jewellery bag wasn't tied well enough and they fell out.

My 3rd set has La Pousette backs and I love them. I feel much more secure wearing them since they lock in place. I wear them tighter than the notch that locks them, but ever after wearing them for a few days in a row the loose they get is for the back to lock into the notch. I do find them slightly fiddly to put on and take off, the backs are flatter and not as easy to grab a hold of. It just means I need to remember to put them on in the house - not in the car or over a sink. I'll have the same type of backs for my next pair of earrings.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

iluvdiamonds2|1318199413|3036718 said:
1. What are friciton backs?

1. What is the most popular size for diamond studs (so they show up and are noticed)??

Friction backs are normal butterfly backs, but I find they are usually a bit nicer on higher priced earrings. We're not talking about cheapie Claire's earrings here!

There's a great thread in SMTB for diamond studs, it can be found her: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-studs.51981/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-studs.51981/[/URL]
All shapes, styles, and sizes - it's a great starting place for seeing what earrings look like on other people. Some people want a bit of sparkle and other people want to cover their entire ear lobe - it depends on what you want for an earring to look like as to how big it needs to be.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks u guys are so HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Maybe I should get simulants since they might fall out! That's a lot of cash to risk! :cheeky:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

My studs are made by whiteflash.com. They have the push on backs with two spots indented so that hopefully if the back goes past one spot the other will stop it. I have not had an issue and when I put those earrings in I leave them in for months and sleep and everything in them. Mine are larger at 1.80ctw.
I hear different things, everyone seems to have a different opinion. I didn't want screwbacks though as I heard that the threads on the earring wear down fairly quickly and then they aren't secure at all. I have a gold bracelet that goes on with a screw and I found this did happen within a couple of years. the screw got very loose. I didn't want this to happen with my earrings as they cost 6 or 7 times as much as the bracelet and I didn't want to lose them. So far so good.
HOWEVER, I would not depend on any kind of back to keep my earrings safe, they are insured for the full value and I think that's the most important thing with any expensive jewelry--insurance.
P.S. I would guess that different companies make different screwbacks and also that people have different tolerances for what goes through their ears, hence the disagreement as to comfort. I personally dont' have big pierced holes and now that I am 54 am in dread of stretching the holes out--so many older ladies I know have stretched out ear piercings and I don't think this looks great. so I only wear not heavy earrings nowadays with thin posts.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do not like screwbacks. They are uncomfortable and some times hard to get off or on. I use plain old friction backs. You can tell if they are loose or not so I just pay attention to ones that don't seem to catch and get new backs or have them adjusted.

:wavey: I have a pair of screwbacks and I find them very comfortable unlike many on here. I agree, imo the only downside to having screwbacks is that they indeed take longer to put on/take off but other than that, I like them. I don't like plain friction backs and have lost plenty of earrings and earring backings. I've not yet tried the la pousette backs but have heard many great things about them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results