shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs: How are screwbacks and are they uncomfortabl

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Re: Diamond studs: How are screwbacks and are they uncomfor

Ive always had screw backs and I used to struggle with the posts being too thick. About five years ago I had a pair custom pair made and specifically asked for thinner posts and they turned out beautifully! Also my newest studs from Whiteflash have really thin, delicate posts and they are an absolute pleasure to wear! Is there any chance you can ask for the posts to be made a little thinner than the norm???

Cheers,
Tanya

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock

Ive always had screw backs and I used to struggle with the posts being too thick. About five years ago I had a pair custom pair made and specifically asked for thinner posts and they turned out beautifully! Also my newest studs from Whiteflash have really thin, delicate posts and they are an absolute pleasure to wear! Is there any chance you can ask for the posts to be made a little thinner than the norm???

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Years ago I had a pair of small (.50cttw) screwbacks. I put them in Kimberly's ears when she was little, and she still managed to lose one! What I don't like about screwbacks, aside from how uncomfortable the posts are to put in and take out, is that the screws collect detritus and if you don't take them out daily and clean them they can cause infection more readily than standard posts. The princess cut studs Mercier made me (.40cttw, 18k white with standard posts) never give me a problem. I can wear them for weeks before I take them out to clean, and they clean up really nice. My only issue with them is they are bezel set, so if stuff gets under the stone I have to soak them well in the Gemcare and take a toothbrush to them. I've contemplated resetting them, but I just can't bring myself to do that. He made them from the diamonds of my original engagement ring, and to reset them would be to lose that last little tangible link I have to him.

Luxxy

Rough_Rock

I have never heard of la pousette backs until now, but I have always appreciated my screw backs when it comes to my diamond studs. They may take longer to put on, but it gives you a great sense of relief knowing that your diamonds are safe.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock

I have screwbacks on my diamond earrings. They hurt the first several times I pushed them through my holes but now they're fine and I can't feel them at all when I'm wearing them. Just challenging sometimes to screw them on straight :)

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock

I have just today changed the backs of some diamond earrings from screw backs to the butterfly backs. The jeweler said that screw backs are not necessarily safer as they can get loose too. He made the butterfly backs ultra tight and said if they start to feel loosE to take them back and he will tighten them again. They are very tight now and seem very safe. I am glad because the screw backs were killing my ears. They made wearing my earrings painful and they were a chore to put in and take out. I am very very happy they are changed and I can finally enjoy wearing them!

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade

The difference.
Almost all standard friction backs (butterflies) are machine made in an electric press in the thinnest gauge possible for cost reasons (cost to the jeweller) they make 50,000 a day in a good machine.
If you ask your jeweller to handmake a pair they will be significantly better and probably last a lifetime without issues.

Most threaded backs are machine made, or have cast posts. Again for cost reasons. the cast posts have softer metal and the thread wears out, the butterfly back then falls off. The machine made ones have thicker posts due to production methods, and can be uncomfortable for many.
Again, if you ask your jeweller to handmake a pair the will be better and last longer.

La Pousette, or Spring Lock Butterflies, are easier and more comfortable, the jeweller buys the post and back as a set, but like all things come in different qualitys.
Good ones in 18ct can be up to $300 or so a pair, cheap ones half the price. I have never had anyone complain they have failed.
One issue is that Rhodium Plating done on most white gold alloys has Sulphuric acid as an agent, if the jeweller plates the backs with the earrings it gets inside and corrodes the spring, the backs should never be plated in my opinion.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock

This is the reason why I avoid screwbacks!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock

Definitely do not like the screwbacks. It is very annoying unless the jewelry is amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results