shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of custom setting?

Paullytle9

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to have a pretty simple 8 prong, split shank, knife edge setting made in 14k yellow gold. Size 5.25. I've contacted several jewelers and the quotes have been all over the board. What should I expect to pay?

_6470.jpeg

_6471.jpeg

_6472.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Paul:

I can't help you with cost estimates. For that information, you'd be better off posting your question in Rocky Talky, where there's more foot traffic and you're more likely to get responses that reflect a variety of custom ring experiences. I can tell you that David Klass in Los Angeles is one of the site's favorite jewlers and designers for cost-conscious work.

Generally, 8 prongs is a lot of prongs, and could overwhelm "normal" size diamonds (say, less than 3 carats. If you're looking as something larger than that, consider posing your question in the colored stone forum, where people are more likely to have experience with setting larger stones.

There are exceptions to every so-called rule, of course! Eight-prong settings are sometimes used in trellis designs, or where the prongs are clustered into four groups of two ("twin prongs"). This Stuller setting uses both the trellis design and twin prongs:

http://www.stuller.com/products/123016/?groupId=193446&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

Here are a few six-prong settings, also from Stuller:
groupId=193446&recommendationSource...egoryId=21344&recommendationSource=SiteSearch
http://www.stuller.com/products/722...egoryId=21344&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

(Stuller makes pre-fabricated settings that can be bought by local jewelers. It can be a cost-effective way to have a stone set. We've seen a lot of beautiful Stuller settings here, some set by vendors that are highly regarded in the PS community. Stuller doesn't publish the prices of their settings to the public, so they can vary by jeweler. If you want to go this route, be sure to go through a trusted jeweler, since they will be doing the final polish and setting, and that can make all the difference.)

ETA - I prepared my response before seeing your pictures. That's a beautiful ring! Since you have a specific design in mind, I'd suggest you post in Rocky Talky for some ideas re price and take it from there.

Paullytle9

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1485553930|4120817 said:
Hi Paul:

I can't help you with cost estimates. For that information, you'd be better off posting your question in Rocky Talky, where there's more foot traffic and you're more likely to get responses that reflect a variety of custom ring experiences. I can tell you that David Klass in Los Angeles is one of the site's favorite jewlers and designers for cost-conscious work.

Generally, 8 prongs is a lot of prongs, and could overwhelm "normal" size diamonds (say, less than 3 carats. If you're looking as something larger than that, consider posing your question in the colored stone forum, where people are more likely to have experience with setting larger stones.

There are exceptions to every so-called rule, of course! Eight-prong settings are sometimes used in trellis designs, or where the prongs are clustered into four groups of two ("twin prongs"). This Stuller setting uses both the trellis design and twin prongs:

http://www.stuller.com/products/123016/?groupId=193446&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

Here are a few six-prong settings, also from Stuller:
groupId=193446&recommendationSource...egoryId=21344&recommendationSource=SiteSearch
http://www.stuller.com/products/722...egoryId=21344&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

(Stuller makes pre-fabricated settings that can be bought by local jewelers. It can be a cost-effective way to have a stone set. We've seen a lot of beautiful Stuller settings here, some set by vendors that are highly regarded in the PS community. Stuller doesn't publish the prices of their settings to the public, so they can vary by jeweler. If you want to go this route, be sure to go through a trusted jeweler, since they will be doing the final polish and setting, and that can make all the difference.)

ETA - I prepared my response before seeing your pictures. That's a beautiful ring! Since you have a specific design in mind, I'd suggest you post in Rocky Talky for some ideas re price and take it from there.

Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results