shape
carat
color
clarity

Art deco watch yay or nay

Luellaq06

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking about possibly purchasing an Art Deco watch which is striking. I just am having a hard time getting over the synthetic sapphire thing. Even though the diamonds in it are real and it is set in platinum.

Has anyone purchased one I'd these and enjoyed it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the synthetic sapphires bother you now they will probably always bother you and the watch won't be mind clean. It's a personal decision with no right or wrong and once something isn't mind clean it may always be a sore point with you. Remember the saying. A deal's only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I agree with Missy, if it bothers you now it's always going too. I have two old watches with the synthetic stones but that doesn't bother me at all, I feel it is part of the whole of the piece, it is what the trend was at that time. I am not a person that has that much concern about that in a stone in general. If you have doubts, listen to them because you will probably not be comfortable wearing the piece.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Synthetic sapphires were ubiquitous at that time. I would go for it, but that's a personal decision. I agree with the previous posters that your purchase has to be mind clean.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have a collection of lovely vintage watches which I adore. You just can't find the same level of workmanship or attention to details in most modern watches. And usually you'll be the only one wearing such an elegant timepiece. But yes, most vintage watches will use synthetic coloured gems. This doesn't detract from their beauty. They are usually small and uniquely cut and complement the overall design. They weren't used because they are "cheap", they were used alongside precious metals and diamonds. So buy what you love the look of, and not worry that the sapphires aren't natural.

Luellaq06

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. In the end while I was debating someone bought the watch :eh: but I would probably consider one in the future if I could see it in person I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results