shape
carat
color
clarity

Vegan Stuff!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
We had some serious threadjackin'' over in LIW on vegan stuff, so I thought I would start a thread here to post our recipes, vents, ideas, anything vegan-y!!!!

I''ll go first. I have a killer bean burrito recipe. My BF loves it - he could eat this every day - seriously.

I use my food processor and grate the following:

1 onion
1 sweet potato
1 red pepper
1 zucchini
3 clove garlic.

Saute this mixture in coconut oil for 5 minutes or so.

Add 2 small cans of black beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes. I usually also toss in a can of tomato paste and some filtered water, or some yummy fresh tomotoes.

Add your spices - 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, and then about 2 tsp curry powder.

Cook for another 8 or so minutes.

I serve various ways. You can serve on a burrito with my spinach pesto (obviously, parmesan free!), hummus, sprouts, spinach, tomatoes, hot sauce, whatever.

Sooooo yummy!!!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That sounds amazing! I'm totally going to make it this week. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was so out of it I didn't really buy any food (meals) lol!

Here's my vegan/vegetarian gravy recipe, even my 11 yr old nephew who NEVER eats veg liked it! Sometimes I make fries and grate some organic mozzarella and make poutine
18.gif

I adapted an All Recipes recipe:

Makes about 2 cups of gravy (I double it and freeze the leftovers)

1 very finely minced onion (I food process it)
1/4 cup olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (essential for flavour)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cups veg broth (I boil water and add a 'chicken' veggie stock cube)
1/2 tsp sage (I use poultry seasoning)
pepper & salt if needed

Saute onion and garlic in large saucepan over med-high heat in oil about 5 min. Sprinkle in flour, nutritional yeast and soy sauce and stir together to form a paste. Gradually whisk in broth. Add seasonings, bring to boil and simmer about 5-10 minutes.

I eat this with everything: on tofu slices marinated and sauteed in garlic soy sauce, veggie 'chicken' burgers, poured over steamed veggies, fries, and my absolute favourite is over 'egg' noodles and sauteed mushrooms to make a stroganoff.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Shimmer that sounds so yummy!!!!!!!! Thanks.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I made this ridiculously yummy soup last night for supper. Takes about 20 minutes. Soooo easy.

Saute 1 large onion (about 1 cup chopped), 2 bay leaves, sea salt (say 1 tsp) and pepper (say 1/2 tsp) in coconut oil for about 6 minutes, till starting to go translucent.

Add 1 cup of chopped zucchini, 4 cups of chopped broccoli (stems and all!!!), and 2 cups of vegtable stock (I make my own - sooo yummy and great to have frozen for quick use).

Cook for about 10 min, til your broc is tender.

Puree with an immersion blender or in my case, a Vitamix, til nice and smooth. You can add some almond milk, but I don''t bother. So delicious as is!!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a vitamix
5.gif
, will have to try this one too! I just haven''t made it to the store as I have an ear infection that is kicking my butt
14.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t you love the vitamix Shimmer??? I make a green smoothie in it every morning. It is so freakin'' incredible!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ha! I have a fruit and carrot with flax seed smoothie every am! Hubbie makes it because I always sleep in
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have one to add. It''s my cous cous with mashed black beans!

You start by putting two cans of black beans into a large sauce pan. I actually tend to use the juice out of the can, but you can also use vegetable stock if you prefer (it would be about a 2-3 cup ratio). Set the burner on medium, and work with a fork to mash the black beans. As they start to warm add paprika, pepper, jalapeno peppers (you can leave them whole or chop them up, I use pickled but you can also use fresh), some chopped onion, and a smidge of garlic powder. Add tobasco sauce or some other hot sauce to taste. As it gets warm, go ahead and prepare the cous cous. Once that is ready you serve the black bean mixture over the cous cous
18.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
DF, that sounds really yummy!!! Mmmm love couscous

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a vegetarian, but a lot of my recipes are vegan or can be made vegan. So, here ya go :)

Minestrone
INGREDIENTS:
1 leek
2 carrots, chopped
1 zucchini
4 oz. green beans
2 stalks celery
3 tbsp olive oil
6 ¼ c. broth
14 oz diced tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh basil/1 tsp thyme (fresh or ½ dried)
14 oz cannellini beans
½ cup orichiette

DIRECTIONS:

Put all the fresh vegetables into a large saucepan with the olive oil. Heat until sizzling, cover, and lower the heat and sweat the vegetables for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.

Add the stock, tomatoes, herbs and seasonings. Bring to a boil, replace the lid and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.

Add the beans (with the juice) and pasta. Simmer for 10 minutes more.

Check seasoning and add salt/pepper to taste.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Vegetable Paella (from vegetarian times)

2 tbs. olive oil
14 oz spicy marinated tofu, finely diced (Nasoya “chinese flavored” tofu is what we use)
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 large carrots, diced
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
14 oz. chopped tomatoes (drained)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 lemon
3 green onion

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu when ripples appear in oil, and season with salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown.

Stir in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in rice, 2 ¼ cup water, and saffron (or turmeric). Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.

Add peas on surface (Do not stir), cover, and allow to steam 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Black Bean and Corn Chilli
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
3.5 ounce diced green chilies, mild (1 can)
30 ounce black beans, low sodium (2 cans)
8 ounce sweet corn cream style (1 can), no salt added
8 ounce diced tomatoes (1/2 can)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.

Sauté onion and garlic for 4 minutes.

Season onion and garlic with chili powder, cumin, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute.

Stir in vegetable broth, diced chilies, 1 can of beans, and corn. Bring to a boil.

In a food processor or blender, process remaining 1 cans of beans and tomatoes until smooth. Stir into boiling soup mixture, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Butternut Squash Soup

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter substitute
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 medium yams, cubed
1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
32 oz. vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Cut the squash in half length-wise (be careful, they are hard) and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes to soften.

Melt the butter sub in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Pour in enough of the vegetable stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.

Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with a vegan sour cream if you''d like.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love the butternut soup for Thanksgiving! In fact, I love Thanksgiving because I always do a completely vegetarian meal and people really seem to enjoy it. Last year I did butternut soup, an asparagus and pea risotto (which could be done vegan, but I''d have to find a parmesan substitute because that''s what gives it the creamy texture), beans and cherry tomatoes (love this recipe! It''s good over pasta too!), roasted garlic potatoes, and of course desserts which are not vegan (sorry! I''m not a baker, I''m a cook. I bake because people like it, not because I enjoy doing it. Vegan cooking is a challenge that I welcome and enjoy, any sort of baking is a pain in the patoot, so I haven''t ventured into vegan baking. One day though! One day!) :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Beans and Cherry Tomatoes (also good over pasta)

1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut in half (fresh)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup butter substitute
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (do not use dried)
2 cups cherry tomato halves

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Place beans and water in a large saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Set heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain off water, and set aside

2.) Melt butter sub in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugar, garlic salt, pepper and basil. Add tomatoes, and cook stirring gently just until soft. Pour the tomato mixture over the green beans, and toss gently to blend.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I make a ton of curries too because they are always easy to make vegan. I make my own block of spices using garam masala, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt, and pepper. I've played around to get a good taste and I add a little water to make it thick and gooey, put it in an ice-tray and put it in the fridge so that it becomes blocks of ready-made curry. I then use a few blocks at a time with some water and simmer. Add veggies and, voila, easy curry. :)

Also, I like the urban housewife on blogspot.com She always has links to other vegan sites with recipes.

Cheers!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh the black bean and corn chilli sounds delicious!!!!

Shame its so hard to get my hands on black beans in supermarkets...

Can I use any other beans, cellososweet?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Cellososweet, I am printing this page and adding it to my recipe book!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:58:15 AM
Author: cindygenit

I''d say that black beans are what makes the meal so, unfortunately, they are the way to go.

I have never had a problem finding black beans at any supermarket.

Don''t go for dried beans, look for canned ones.

If they aren''t near the other canned veggies, look near the soups, near the rices, or in the hispanic/ethnic foods aisle. Or if in doubt, ask someone.

They have to be somewhere and are the easier, yummiest, and cheapest protein source ever! :)

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:41:18 PM
Author: cellososweet

Date: 8/17/2009 3:58:15 AM
Author: cindygenit

I''d say that black beans are what makes the meal so, unfortunately, they are the way to go.

I have never had a problem finding black beans at any supermarket.

Don''t go for dried beans, look for canned ones.

If they aren''t near the other canned veggies, look near the soups, near the rices, or in the hispanic/ethnic foods aisle. Or if in doubt, ask someone.

They have to be somewhere and are the easier, yummiest, and cheapest protein source ever! :)
I''m gonna sound like a total newbie in the kitchen but... my FI can only find red kidney beans in store... he said no black beans!!! Are they *possibly* the same thing?

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Definitely not the same things. Kidney beans are red and really starchy. I suggest you go to the store and look. Men are ummmmm. . . .well-intentioned at the grocery store for the most part ;-)

My DH still buys the wrong thing even when I write the brand and the colour of the box. Haha.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 10:18:23 AM
Author: cellososweet
Nope. Definitely not the same things. Kidney beans are red and really starchy. I suggest you go to the store and look. Men are ummmmm. . . .well-intentioned at the grocery store for the most part ;-)

My DH still buys the wrong thing even when I write the brand and the colour of the box. Haha.
AGREED!!!

The first time FI went grocery shopping by himself, i wrote him a list. Of the items in the list, he bought the first two, and then went on a grocery shopping spree fit for a diabetic!!!
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results