shape
carat
color
clarity

Low Salt Diet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am trying to cut salt out of my diet (to see if it helps with chronic dizziness) and would love some ideas of what to eat. I am looking for quick and easy things. TIA!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum. not sure i have food solutions, but i don''t do much salt either. hubs and i never add salt to anything we cook nor after. well, rarely i should say. very rarely. and if it helps any, once you start eliminating it, you don''t miss it and when you do have a salty meal, you really notice it. the bad thing, it starts making going out to eat not as much fun.

cheese + butter are things to be aware of. they contain lots of salt. maybe try getting unsalted butter.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks J...I actually don''t add salt or pepper to my foods (after it is made). It''s not ever a habit I took on. I do love my cheese so I guess I need to curb that. I do love chips. I guess this is a good excuse to cut them out. I honestly never have paid attention to how much sodium I am eating. I am sure it will be worth it to feel physically better.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Processed foods often are huge culprits with sodium. Even packaged sweet things have a ton of sodium in them often...that is one place that could be huge in helping cut down sodium especially if you aren''t someone who adds extra salt to food in the first place.

Always read the labels, it''s really scary how much sodium things like hostess cupcakes have in them (10% of your daily allowance in one cupcake!).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what amount of sodium is "normal" or "acceptable"?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 10:21:52 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
So what amount of sodium is ''normal'' or ''acceptable''?

I''d probably talk to a dietician or nutritionist about this...it always seems different for everyone depending on your calorie needs. If you are just trying to cut down on salt then I would just try to cut your consumption and see if it helps. So cut out processed foods (esp. soups and chips) first and see where that takes you as far as symptoms go.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks NF...

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
(Found this article on SparkPeople)
I too am working on cutting out salt in my diet!

Shakin' it up with the Skinny on Salt
The Danger is Not in the Shaker

-- By Laura Bofinger, Staff Writer

Even if you are not a potato chip and pretzel junkie, you’re probably eating more salt than you realize. Sodium, the main ingredient in table salt, can hide in places you don’t suspect, like in ketchup, frozen dinners, instant hot cereals and some medications.

What’s Harmful About Sodium?
High levels of sodium can cause the body to retain too much fluid. This can be harmful to people with high blood pressure or heart, liver or kidney diseases. People with these conditions should be especially careful about sodium intake. But there’s some debate on whether everyone needs to worry about all of this salt talk. We’ll listen to the USDA, who recommends that we need to choose and prepare foods with less sodium. The average American adult consumes about 2,500 to 5,000 milligrams of sodium a day. But we only need 1,100 to 3,300 milligrams, or about 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons. That can be a pretty big difference.

Where are we getting so much sodium in our diets?
Think about all the times we add salt during cooking or as a seasoning to a prepared meal. Surprisingly, our own salt shaking doesn’t compare to the major sources of “hidden” sodium in our diets found in processed foods and baked products. Some examples include salad dressings, mustard, meat tenderizer, cheeses, instant foods, pickles, canned vegetables and soups, salsa and barbecue sauce. Even common medications such as antacids, laxatives and cough remedies contain sodium compounds.

The keys to watching our sodium levels are to be aware of which foods have a high sodium content and to limit how much of those foods we eat. Practice checking the nutrition facts labels of packaged foods for the exact sodium content per serving. Some label terms can help our purchase decisions:

Term/Definition
sodium free or salt free
less than 5 milligrams of sodium per serving

low sodium
140 milligrams or less of sodium per serving

reduced or less sodium
at least 25% less sodium than the food’s standard serving

light sodium
50% less sodium than the food's standard serving

unsalted or no salt added
no salt added during processing, but could contain naturally occurring sodium

Steps to Reduce Your Sodium

* Limit your use of the salt shaker. Try a shaker with smaller holes.
* Substitute salt seasoning with other flavorings, such as onion, garlic, lemon, vinegar, black pepper, or parsley.
* Choose fresh, frozen or canned vegetables without added salt.
* Cook fresh or frozen fish, poultry and meat more often than canned or processed forms.
* Compare the amounts of sodium in various brands of frozen dinners, packaged mixes, cereals, cheese, breads, salad dressings, soups and sauces. Sodium content varies widely among different brands.
* Rinse canned beans and vegetables to remove added salt before cooking.
* Choose foods labeled “low sodium,” “reduced sodium” or “sodium free.”
* Know how much sodium is in your favorite condiments, especially soy sauce, steak sauce, ketchup and salsa. Limit your intake accordingly.
* Avoid foods with MSG (monosodium glutamate), particularly when dining out. You can ask to have your meal prepared without MSG.
* Try to limit your daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams.

One thing that the experts do agree on is that getting a balanced diet with more fruits and vegetables is more important than obsessing over one ingredient, like sodium. So it’s good to be mindful of how much sodium you’re taking in, but concentrate more on an overall nutritious diet.
9.gif

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
One more article from SP.....

Easy Ways to Cut Sodium Intake
Lower Your Disease Risk by Reducing Your Salt Intake

-- By Nicole Nichols, Health Educator and Liz Noelcke, Staff Writer

You consume sodium every single day, and that''s a good thing! Our bodies need sodium to help maintain water and mineral balances and blood volume. But too much of a good thing (sodium in this case) can have negative effects on your health, such as an increased risk for high blood pressure (which contributes to heart disease and stroke). While most of us get enough sodium each day to meet our bodies'' needs (about 1,500 milligrams), the average person consumes way too much! Experts recommend that adults consume less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily—that''s about 1 teaspoon of salt.

Sodium is a mineral that occurs naturally in foods that you eat every day, including meats, nuts, grains, and dairy. Salt and sodium are not the same things—but salt is made from sodium (and chloride). What you might not realize, however, is that “hidden” sodium found in processed foods (in the form of salt) makes up the largest proportion of the sodium that adults consume (in addition to any salt that you add yourself).

Cutting back on sodium is one action you can take to reduce your risk of high blood pressure and its related complications. Keep in mind that your taste buds are probably accustomed to a strong taste of salt, so limiting your consumption might take a little getting used to, but your health is worth it! Here are some sodium-cutting tips you can try today:

* Introduce additional flavor to your foods with herbs and spices like garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, thyme and sesame. These all add flavor without the extra sodium. If a recipe calls for salt, cut the amount called for in half and taste it before adding more.

* Make healthy choices at the grocery store. Processed foods (anything in a box or bag) tend to be high in sodium because it helps preserve foods longer and increase flavor. Always read labels for the foods you buy, including the sodium content on the nutrition facts label and the ingredients list.

* Remember that "low-fat" or "low-calorie" doesn''t mean healthy. These diet foods can also be higher in sodium because manufacturers hope that added sodium, a flavor-enhancer, will bring back the flavor that is missing since fat and other higher-calorie ingredients are removed. This is especially true for frozen dinners, which are often loaded with extra salt.

* Choose low-, no- or reduced-sodium versions of your favorite soups, frozen meals, canned foods, and snacks. Even butter is available without added salt!

* Choose fresh or frozen veggies over canned varieties, which often contain added salt to help increase shelf life. If you can''t find sodium-free varieties of canned vegetables, rinse the can''s contents in a colander under water before cooking to remove excess salt.

* Olives, pickles and other items packed in brine are saturated in salt, as are many smoked and cured meats, like salami and bologna. Limit your intake of these high-sodium foods and be on the lookout for lower-sodium varieties.

* Fast foods are high in more things than just fat. Many of these meals, sandwiches and fries contain more than your daily recommended intake of sodium in just one serving. When consulting restaurant websites to make healthy choices, pay attention to sodium levels as well. By keeping your portions in check (order a junior burger or small French fry instead of the big burgers and super fries) will help control your sodium (and caloric) intake.

The chart below lists common salty foods. Notice how quickly sodium can add up with just a few foods!

Food/Portion/ Sodium

Baking soda/1 tsp/1,259 mg

Mini pretzels/10 minis/1,029 mg

Soy sauce/1 Tbsp/902 mg

Frozen pepperoni pizza/1 serving/902 mg

Dill pickle/1 medium/883 mg

Frozen chicken pot pie/1 serving/857 mg

Shredded cheddar cheese/1 cup/702 mg

Baking powder/1 tsp/488 mg

Hamburger/1 sandwich/474 mg

Sauerkraut/1/2 cup/469 mg

Canned peas/1 cup/428 mg

Ham/1 slice/373 mg

Biscuit/1 whole/304 mg

Bacon/1 slice/303 mg

Salted mixed nuts/1/4 cup/205 mg

Ketchup/1 Tbsp/190 mg

Hard salami/1 slice/186 mg

White bread/1 slice/170 mg

Mustard/1 Tbsp/168 mg

Potato chips/1 ounce/168 mg

Saltine crackers/5 crackers/161 mg

Tortilla chips/1 ounce/150 mg

Italian salad dressing/1 Tbsp/116 mg

Salted butter/1 Tbsp/82 mg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks princess! I would be surprised if I eat more than 1,500 mg of sodium a day so not sure how I can cut it lower. I guess I should keep a food journal. It does seem to add up fast though!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me about it! It''s one of my biggest struggles.....I have managed to keep it around 1800/1900 but I still am consuming some packaged product so it adds up REALLY easily with those!

I am trying to incorporate more raw foods without it tasting so bland.....

I keep telling myself "baby steps"

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I''m more concerned with your chronic dizziness...

Where did you hear that cutting sodium would help? Have you been to see a doctor about this? There could be a more underlying problem, such as vertigo, or an inner ear imbalance.

My mother has vertigo- she says that things like floating in a pool or going for a drive really help. I''ve never heard of cutting sodium, though. I''m just curious as to why it would help with dizziness?

I will caution you, though, that you should not cut out ALL of the sodium from your diet. You do not want to become what is called "hyponatremic" which is where your serum sodium levels are far too low. Typically this condition is caused by kidney problems, but it could be caused by dietary means. If hyponatremia is severe enough, it could have the potential to lead to MORE dizziness (due to a drop in your blood pressure upon standing)... complications could result in nausea, headache, ill feeling, all the way to coma and seizures in very severe cases. Like I said, though- you''d probably NEVER reach this level of hyponatremia by altering your diet alone... but I did want to caution you.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amanda. It would be impossible to cut out all the sodium in my diet. I probably eat around 1,000-1,500 mg a day. My dad (who is a doctor) suggest I cut my sodium to see if it helped. Granted he does not live in the same city to me in order to examine me so I probably should get a physical done. It probably has been 10 years since I have had one. My dizziness is more annoying than anything. I have never fallen but that is always a concern and I think about it when I am carrying my baby.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Tacori: Have you had your B12 or Iron checked lately? Thoes are the main culprits for dizzy spells...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 4:20:02 PM
Author: ~*Snow*~
Tacori: Have you had your B12 or Iron checked lately? Thoes are the main culprits for dizzy spells...

I haven''t had tests one but when I was preggo my iron was low...maybe it never came up or dropped more. Good ideas. Is that type of blood work common for physicals or do I need to request it?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
If you''re trying to lower salt consumption, I''d suggest you don''t cut out pepper as well. Freshly ground black pepper really adds flavor and I use it in nearly everything. Just the other day, we were eating butternut squash soup and it was really bland, so my first instinct was to add salt...but I ground some pepper in instead and it gave it enough extra flavor that salt was completely unnecessary! It may not work all the time, but it''s certainly worth a try if you like pepper at all
1.gif

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 9:57:57 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 10/20/2008 4:20:02 PM
Author: ~*Snow*~

I haven''t had tests one but when I was preggo my iron was low...maybe it never came up or dropped more. Good ideas. Is that type of blood work common for physicals or do I need to request it?
If you are having dizzy spells the doc should automatically request to also have your iron levels checked when you go in for yearly blood work, but just maybe mention it to double check that they mark it.
Let us know!

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Tacori I do most of my cooking in a pressure cooker. it is quick and easy, but mostly it makes food taste MUCH better! I have gotten to the point that I never add salt in cooking, and the food tastes so good it is not needed upon serving. We have managed to remove all processed food from home, and very rarely eat out. In fact we have to try to eat when we are out because it tastes so pale compared to home. It is kinda funny- we look at each other and say " tell me again why we used to think this was good?". I am not talking the old scary pressure cooker you remember from childhood- mine is electric with an electronic timer, and three safety valves, as well as a removable cooking pot. I can have a roast on the table in 40 minutes, and less complicated meals are much quicker. The cooking time for most of my entree''s runs 8-10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results