shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthy Suggestion for Thanksgiving Dish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone:

In my ongoing battle against my buldge I am trying to find a tried and true HEALTHY recipie for a dish to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. I know there are limitless resources on the web but I often feel like there is no real opinion behind the suggestions. With such a healthy group here, I thought I would see if anyone here can share their most favorite healthy recipes so I can try my hand at a new dish this year!

So please share your healthy recipes for main courses, side dishes, leftover meal ideas and dessert!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
You could do a whole grain pumpkin muffin for dessert? Other ideas would be green beans with pine nuts, eat the turkey not the ham, home made cranberry sauce vs. packaged, steamed broccoli, plain corn on the cob (though sweet corn might be harder to find), boiled carrots, a nice salad, mashed sweet potatoes!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:10:53 PM
Author: dragonfly411
mashed sweet potatoes!
Oh yummm!!! I love mashed sweet potatoes!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t really have a recipe, but I''m thinking of throwing together a vegetarian dressing using vegetable broth, stuffing mix, golden raisins, etc. The sodium content may get a little high, but it will be low fat and pretty high in fiber content...my MIL used to make something similar for me (I was the only vegetarian in the family) and it was SO good. She didn''t use a recipe, either, or I would have gotten it from her!

If anyone has a recipe for this kind of thing, please feel free to post...
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Monarch - could you maybe find a low sodium veggie broth? To help with the sodium levels? That sound so yummy!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh - me me me!! Haha. This is a favorite in my house - we usually do a healthy, vegetarian Thanksgiving, and this recipe is a true standout - I modified it a bit from a Cooking Light Recipe from a few years back:

Roasted Squash Stuffed with Corn Bread Dressing

You can make the Maple Corn Bread and toast it ahead. Roast the squash and refrigerate it up to 2 days. All you''ll have to do on Thanksgiving day is assemble the dish and bake it. (edited)

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed squash half)

Ingredients

* 7 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed Maple Corn Bread
* Cooking spray
* 5 acorn squash (about 1 pound each)
* 4 cups boiling water, divided
* 1.5 cup fresh cranberries
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 cup finely chopped celery
* 1 cup finely chopped carrot
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (optional)
* 1 cup vegetable broth
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
* 1/3 c dried raisins or currants (optional)
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
* 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.

Arrange corn bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until corn bread is toasted, stirring twice. Set aside.

Decrease oven temperature to 350°.

Cut each squash in half lengthwise, and discard the seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Coat the squash with cooking spray. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over squash. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove the squash from pan.

Place raisins/ currants, and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot, and sage (if using); saute 3 minutes.

Combine toasted corn bread cubes, cranberry mixture, onion mixture, broth, and remaining ingredients in a bowl, tossing to coat.

Spoon about 1 1/2 cups dressing mixture into each squash half. Place the squash halves in pan, cut sides up.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the tip of a knife pierces squash easily.

Totals include Maple Corn Bread.
Nutritional Information

Calories: 398 (23% from fat)
Fat: 10.2g (sat 4.1g,mono 3.8g,poly 1.6g)
Protein: 6.5g
Carbohydrate: 74.2g
Fiber: 7.7g
Cholesterol: 16mg
Iron: 3.8mg
Sodium: 732mg
Calcium: 198mg

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great recipe, AG!!! Sounds yummy, I will have to try that one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results