shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 10th Nov till 16th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Lorelai- awesome opening!

Ok I wanna get back on track this week. It''s my last two weeks of uni and I have ditched the gym the past 5 days to focus on completing 3 assignments. So once I hand them in, I''m off to the gym until tomorrow when the next 2 assignments come out ( boo!.. hiss!).

Haven''t been very good diet wise, ate not 1 but 2 pizzas last night ( starved myself all day until I finished assignments), and then tried this icecream that I have been wanting to try for ages called "Monkey Business" ( banana and chocolate icecream with choc chips).

So now that I have splurged I want to get back on track!

Good luck everyone with your goals this week!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Just a quick post as I have an assignment due for tomorrow. I went to the gym straight after college today and worked out for an hour. I''m starting to find that I have much more energy now in the evening since I''ve got back into working out.

Thanks for the welcome back Rod and Marcy! Glad to hear that you''re both doing well!!

Thanks princess and Lp.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Howdy everyone! You guys have some great goals, and I am going to nab some of them to incorporate into my own schedule. Now lets see if we can stick to them over the next weeks!
Today I didn''t work out in the morning, but plan to this evening after showing a dog to one of my co workers, he might adopt her from SO''s mom :)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Okay! I just got a motivator to get off my lazy butt! I (James actually because I don''t have any credit cards) signed up for a Thanksgiving morning 8K. Any advice for running outside around Thanksgiving season in Chicago? I have running tights, and Under Armor Heat Gear shirts that I use for skiing. Any other ideas? What about keeping my face and/or head warm? Or do I just tough it out?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know some of you are doing weight watchers so I thought I would post this (just an fyi since Turkey day is fast approaching)

Traditional Recipe POINTS Value Weight Watchers
Green bean casserole (3/4 cup) 4 pt
Candied sweet potatoes (1 cup) 8 pt
Garlic mashed potatoes (3/4 cup) 6 pt
Mashed sweet potatoes, canned (1/2 cup) 2 pt
Canned cranberry sauce (1/3 cup) 3 pt
Bread stuffing (1 cup) 8 pt
Pumpkin pie (1 slice) 9 pt
Pecan pie (1 slice) 12

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DF - how is dear piggy doing?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
lliang - I would try thin gloves, but I would imagine that once you start running you''ll warm up enough to not need it on the face. I want a bubble to make the air warmer when I inhale it though LOL

Lorelei - I knew you were posting about that somehow. Dear piggy is OK but not 100%. We discovered another cut that we didn''t realize was there (it was a clean flap of skin under the eye that didn''t bleed and wasn''t separated that we had seen) under her eye and found fly eggs in it, which wasn''t good, so we''re working on making sure that stays REALLY REALLY CLEAN. I worry about her ear because she lays with it in the mud all day. On one note it is beneficial because it prevents the above situation, but on the other, I am terrified that she might get Gangrene from the dirt. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. Wraps won''t stay on. We wash with Bedadine daily, as well as dawn soap, then put a salve on it called SWAT which is a repellent for flies and has healing agents much like Neosporin. She''s getting antibiotics in the morning and baby aspirin twice daily right now. She sleeps most of the day (another reason I''m in fear of gangrene, she''s not active ) but gets up on her own, drinks and eats.... so still not out of the woods, but certainly better than before.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2008 4:23:27 PM
Author: dragonfly411
lliang - I would try thin gloves, but I would imagine that once you start running you'll warm up enough to not need it on the face. I want a bubble to make the air warmer when I inhale it though LOL

Lorelei - I knew you were posting about that somehow. Dear piggy is OK but not 100%. We discovered another cut that we didn't realize was there (it was a clean flap of skin under the eye that didn't bleed and wasn't separated that we had seen) under her eye and found fly eggs in it, which wasn't good, so we're working on making sure that stays REALLY REALLY CLEAN. I worry about her ear because she lays with it in the mud all day. On one note it is beneficial because it prevents the above situation, but on the other, I am terrified that she might get Gangrene from the dirt. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. Wraps won't stay on. We wash with Bedadine daily, as well as dawn soap, then put a salve on it called SWAT which is a repellent for flies and has healing agents much like Neosporin. She's getting antibiotics in the morning and baby aspirin twice daily right now. She sleeps most of the day (another reason I'm in fear of gangrene, she's not active ) but gets up on her own, drinks and eats.... so still not out of the woods, but certainly better than before.
DF, Bee is a vet student so she might have some advice. You used to be able to get some cream to prevent maggot/ fly strike here... - Bee, can you still get Battlecream, that bright yellow stuff used for flystrike in sheep? Just curious if so, whether that might help if it is available in the US.

Also could you try large patches of bandaid on her ear DF? That might stay on and help keep it clean. Was the cut on her ear sutured? Also if you have some Hibitane/ Hibiscrub ( AKA chlorhexidine) pink antiseptic scrub, you could wash the ear out with that as it is quite soapy even when diluted, or you could grab a syringe and use that to clean the ear with the chlorhexidine solution. But also with the ear, it is probably healing as it should, you just might not be seeing much progress yet - but it could still all be taking place from within. Keep going, the main thing is she is eating and getting up, while she is resting she is healing and recovering, so you are doing a great job!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - I''ve never heard of Battlecream? I''ll try the bandaid idea. The ear wasn''t sutured, just dead flaps of skin removed. There really was no way to suture it with the angle and what not. We''ve spoken with our large animal vet and she has said to keep doing what we are doing. Unfortunately I don''t have a fortune to spend on dear piggy to stay in a vet hospital or I''d send her to the one nearby (we have a large animal hospital) for the sake of cleanliness. Sigh

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2008 4:33:30 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Lorelei - I''ve never heard of Battlecream? I''ll try the bandaid idea. The ear wasn''t sutured, just dead flaps of skin removed. There really was no way to suture it with the angle and what not. We''ve spoken with our large animal vet and she has said to keep doing what we are doing. Unfortunately I don''t have a fortune to spend on dear piggy to stay in a vet hospital or I''d send her to the one nearby (we have a large animal hospital) for the sake of cleanliness. Sigh
Oh DF....I know how worrying it is, but I think she will be fine and you are doing all you can! Keep positive and continue with what you are doing, you are taking excellent care of her! Try the large patches of bandaid and see if that will stay on, then that might help keep it cleaner. Make sure the ear is dry from cleaning and try to stick it to non ointmenty parts of the ear so it will stick, well worth a try.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!!! Happy Tuesday! I think if I don't lose weight this week; I need to cut back on carbs again.
40.gif
Today a friend, hubby and I met for lunch at a Vietnamese Restaurant and I had a delicious chicken dish w/rice and lots of fresh veggies. I stopped and told the owner that I love that they give you lots of veggies and she said she feels we get too many carbs and meats that people need more veggies so that made me happy she is try to make it easier for people to eat healthy. I stopped by baby Gap to return some stuff that didn't fit my nephew and I am just reading. A little later I will go for my daily walk.
I will post a little later after my walk
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday kids!

This morning I did a gentle hour on the dreadmill. I'm trying to be easy this week becuase my right knee hurt a bit yesterday and so did my left hamstring (can you say "Dee is falling apart right before our very eyes, LOL!"). My plan was to just do the dreadmill for several days and then climb back on the elliptical full force this weekend but then I remembered I'm having a wisdom tooth pulled Friday afternoon so I'm not sure that's going to work out either. Oh well, whatever will be will be.

The scale gave me another pound off this morning, so I'm at 132. Actually it said 131 the first time I got on but I just KNEW that wasn't right so I got back on twice more and it said 132 both times so that's what I'm going with. (Anybody else us the "majority of three" method?
3.gif
)

I haven't been very good about counting cals since I got back, not to mention I decided to have a giant slice of banana bread (with butter smeared all over it!
11.gif
) for lunch, so I need to get back in the swing of things in that regard.

Not much else to report. Actually had a relatively productive day and now I'm going to surf the net and drink a glass of wine. Life is good!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.

Finally able to check in after a hectic start to the week, Work has been hard and quite emotionally taxing, home life has been active etcetc.

For those of you who remember me mentioning about bathing one of the boys in my class...

Social Services and the Polce finally intervened yesterday the the boy and his older brother have been removed from Mum's house and are now staying with Nanny. They have been examined, interviewed etc. I bet they feel like they have been put through the wringer. Not to mention us staff who have had to give statements etc too. Hard life, but at the end of the day, the welfare of those children is of great importance. So no matter how sad we felt for the poor lad by the end of the day yesterday, we have done our duty and made sure someone sees that he is kept safe, happy, clean, fed and loved.

On the plus side, I work with a fantastic team of people and I feel so happy to know I can be myself around them. We all get along so well and have really been there for each other over the last few weeks.

I only started at the school six weeks ago but I have made some lovely friendships with people I hope will be in my life for a long, long time to come. I got the job there after taking one of my old pupils on day visits to the school. I had been her one to one support in a mainstream school but it clearly wasn't the right environment for her and finally she got a place at this wonderful special school. While on my day visits I was told there were jobs going if I wanted to apply. As it happens I wasn't totally happy at my place of employment as they were to cut my hours drastically after the summer holidays, I would have lost 20 hours pay a month and also take an hourly rate drop, which is an outrage really. I have been a TA for 7 years working almost exclusively with special needs children so this was really not on. So I applied for the job and followed my old pupil to the school when they offered me the position. It is better financially and the progression opportunities seem greater. I had to work out a month's notice at the old school which meant missing the first 4 weeks of the school year with the new class and staff team but I feel like part of the furniture already now. I feel a lot more valued so I can only go forward from here I guess.

Woah...job rant, sorry!

Well this week is off to a shaky start healthy eating wise. I had pizza for tea tonight (shop bought not take away) and a doughnut yesterday. Oops. I am watching what I eat for the rest of the week though.

Did some yoga with the kiddies this afternoon and realised that some of the stretches may be very beneficial to me. I get a lot of back pain so I think I might take on board those stretches as my back felt much better. I need to build up strength in my back so I can actually go for walks without getting intense pain after only a few hundred yards!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been such a slug today. I think I''ve only ventured off the couch to do some laundry, make dinner, and go to the doctor. My doc gave me amoxicillin for my sinus infection. It should kick in in a day or so -- yay!

We had whole wheat spaghetti, 93% ground beef, and garlic and basil tomato sauce for dinner tonight. It was really good, but I still prefer regular pasta. I never have it at home though.

I STILL haven''t lost any weight, but the nurse at the doctor''s office confirmed that I have, indeed, lost 13 pounds. I''m not worried about it anymore -- I know I''m doing well, and I have faith that the numbers on the scale will go down evenutally. Ooohh, big news to report! I think I''ve gotten over my obsession with the scale. I still weigh myself a few times a week, but not every day like I used to.

I''ll try to check in later. We''re going to watch a movie in a few minutes.

I hope everyone had a great day!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone please tell me what "size" Lucky Jeans in a 27 really are? And can someone also tell me why they can''t use regular sizing like every other damn jeans company in the world?
20.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am beat, so this will be record setting short (at least from me). Sorry can''t say hey to anyone personally.

Got up at 6 am (what was with that?)
Got to work before 8 AM
Worked my butt off till after 6
Went to the gym immediately after work
Worked out hard for 3 hours
Got home after 9:30
Had a couple pieces of leftover chicken and a salad

That was my day. A typical "uber" looong one for sure.

Sleep well everyone!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Munky, without sharing too much, I''ve been where you are and it''s heartbreaking. I"m so glad to hear the child in your class is being placed in a much better home.

Skip, you''re so sweet to compliment the owner.

Dragon, poor piggy is in my thoughts.

I have a hair appt after work tomorrow, perhaps able to fit in a walk or run afterwards. I hope. J made pesto w/ whole wheat pasta for dinner, work was good this afternoon. Have a great night, all.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly~ Saline is a great wash for wounds. It will irrigate without overdrying. It''s sold in the pharmacy and contact lens section. Water soluble ointments are best for deep wounds because they don''t increase healing time. Petroleum jelly is good for surface wounds and will keep flies off.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I need more practice in photoshop.I wasted quite a bit of time tonight playing with getting a hat on my avator.Oh well, I learned a few things.
Zoe, your weather sounds similar to ours.I know the bitter cold is coming though.Congratulaions for being down 13 pounds.Woo hoo!We had pasta for supper too.We have enough left for lunch tomorrow as well.
Lorelei, rats for pants weather.
Lliang, sorry to hear Quiza’s paw is still sore.Good luck getting your license replaced tomorrow.That’s great you signed up for the Thanksgiving 8K.Good luck!
Lady Pirate, I wish I could make it to bed by 11.I never seem to make it to bed before midnight but I always “try”.Do you like to get up early?Here is the
link to my spinel ring.
Kimi, glad you had a nice visit while walking with your girlfriend.Are you getting a new hairdo?I am very anxious to get my perm in 2 weeks.
Appletini, that’s great you worked out 4 days in a row.
MissDimity, that’s good you are back on track.Your pizza and ice cream sound like great treats.
Bee, that is wonderful you have more energy in the evening.Woo hoo!
Dragonfly, I agree we’ve got some wonderful goals here.Good luck to dear piggy.
Skippy, Thanksgiving dinner sounds fattening.Tee hee.
DeeJay, congratulations for being down another pound.I hope your knee and hamstring start to feel better.

Merrymunky, you are lucky to be so happy and content in your job.
Rod, rest up.I hate uber long days.
Somethingshiny, I love your snowy avator.

Take care!
Marcy

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
thanks, Marcy. TGal animated it for me in the current HOLIDAY AVATAR THREAD If you go there, you can see what she started with. Needless to say, there''s no way on God''s green earth I could have made anything like it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somethingshiny, I read through the thread and love what she did for everyone. That is why I started messing around. I need PRACTICE!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MM - that must be so difficult but now the boys will be cared for.

Well done BTW, it doesn't matter that you had one doughnut and a bit of pizza, just continue on - it does get easier with practise also and that will help you in the future!

Kimmy the Holiday Rat Gift makes a perfect av for you!!! LOL!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 2:36:12 AM
Author: Lorelei

Kimmy the Holiday Rat Gift makes a perfect av for you!!! LOL!!!
Lorelei, I think it''s so gross it''s cute. I''m not quite ready to admit Christmas is coming, so I am holding off on the ugly ornament thread, but I''ll get there soon.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Morning all
35.gif
Last night hubby and I went walking for 30 mins; it was cold out so I think that I will try to go walking during the day.
5.gif

I need to run to Costco today and get a few things; I hope I get there before it is too nutty. I also have a ripe avocado so I probably will buy a baguette and turkey for a nice sandwich. Hubby bought me a new camera last night so I can''t wait till it gets here.
3.gif
Nothing too exciting here. Have a great day all
35.gif

BEE, yay for going to the gym!

DRAGON, hope your pig feels better soon.

LLIANG, I would run in layers and wear a hat. I don''t run but when I walk I wear layers.

DEE, yay for another lb, awesome! Yum, I love banana bread!

MERRYMUNKY, gosh, sounds like a tough day. Hang in there.

ZOE, yum, I love ww spaghetti and lean ground beef! To make WW pasta better I use lots of sauce but when it is boiling I throw in sea salt; it gives it more flavor and seems to soften it. Hope you feel better and yay for 13 lbs lost!!!

ROD, sugar, sounds like a long productive day! Hope your day isn''t as long today!

KIMI, I didn''t recognize you w/your avatar. hehe I saw you in the holiday thread talking about your ugly ornament but I didn''t make the connection it was you! Funny how we look at avatars instead of user names. Thanks, I just love having lots of veggies instead of trying to figure out how to get them in through out my day. Yum to pesto pasta; J and you sound like awesome cooks!

SS, I have you and your family in my prayers and sending you good thoughts and I admire your strength through this difficult time. Sending you a hug.

MARCY, yay for getting in the spirit of the holidays, awesome!! Your hat is darling!! It is suppose to warm to 60 this week so I am excited about that! hehe

LORELEI, love your avie! hehe sooo pretty

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy evening everyone! Was working late so just home now. Weighed myself today and am down over three pounds!! Also lost 6.5" in total! Woohoo!!!

Lorelei-I haven''t used battle cream before-the one that we used on the farm was by novartis but I can''t think of the name of it. It was a pour on. The main thing is just to keep the area clean and dry and antibiotics should be given so you definitely sound like you''re doing the right thing dragonfly!

Thanks Marcy and SKippy!!

Sorry for the posting and running but have to go study for an exam on friday! Night all!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from a 40 minute walk.
maltese_love.gif
I need to go earlier it was dark out. The moon is gorgeous though. hehe Have a great evening all
35.gif

Happy studying Bee* and yay for the weight loss!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday kids!

This morning I did a hard hour on the hampster wheel and then two sets of arms. I was in the gym FOREVER though because everyone was so chatty!

I got my hair done today. I was only down for some highlights becuause I was trying to grow my hair out enough to pull it back in a proper ponytail for when I work out but somehow I got roped into a cut too and now I''ve got all sorts of funky layers. What the hell was I thinking?!? It''s going to take MONTHS to get this all grown out again. Argh!
29.gif

And for those of you following the tuna thread in ATW I went to the deli in the gym across the river from me today and got some tuna salad, which I ate with a big pile of potato chips, LOL!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 9:37:33 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Happy Wednesday kids!

This morning I did a hard hour on the hampster wheel and then two sets of arms. I was in the gym FOREVER though because everyone was so chatty!

I got my hair done today. I was only down for some highlights becuause I was trying to grow my hair out enough to pull it back in a proper ponytail for when I work out but somehow I got roped into a cut too and now I''ve got all sorts of funky layers. What the hell was I thinking?!? It''s going to take MONTHS to get this all grown out again. Argh!
29.gif

And for those of you following the tuna thread in ATW I went to the deli in the gym across the river from me today and got some tuna salad, which I ate with a big pile of potato chips, LOL!
9.gif

What???? Dee, you didn''t get any mac and cheese with mustard in it????
18.gif

Hi everyone?????????

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 10:01:54 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 11/12/2008 9:37:33 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Happy Wednesday kids!

I got my hair done today. I was only down for some highlights becuause I was trying to grow my hair out enough to pull it back in a proper ponytail for when I work out but somehow I got roped into a cut too and now I've got all sorts of funky layers. What the hell was I thinking?!? It's going to take MONTHS to get this all grown out again. Argh!
29.gif

9.gif

What???? Dee, you didn't get any mac and cheese with mustard in it????
18.gif

Hi everyone?????????

LOL Linda -- all that talk of mustard in mac and cheese is ALMOST as bad as *corn* in *tuna salad*!!!
23.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So this week is just a bust for me workout wise. I''m exhausted by the time the gym is a possibility and it''s dark and cold and we have no street lights, which means no walk. You can ban me now, if you must. My hair color looks fab though (Marcy, I love getting my hair cut and colored).

Skip, I totally identify with what you''re saying, I look for avatars, not names. But it''s me, I promise. And the ugly orn. thread will be back soon.

Have a great evening all. (tiptoeing out the back door....)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results