shape
carat
color
clarity

whos watching season 2 of Downtown Abby starting tomarrow!?

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Re: whos watching season 2 of Downtown Abby starting tomarro

I DVRed a marathon of Downton Abbey shows on Sunday after reading a review in the NY times over the weekend. I watched all 4 episodes of Season 1 yesterday and finished the first episode of Season 2 tonight. I can't wait till Sunday for my next Downton Abbey fix! Does anyone know how many episodes are in Season 2? I hope more than 4.

starshine

Shiny_Rock

PBS.org has season 1 available for streaming until Jan. 17. :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Never seen it...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JGator|1326260300|3100147 said:
I DVRed a marathon of Downton Abbey shows on Sunday after reading a review in the NY times over the weekend. I watched all 4 episodes of Season 1 yesterday and finished the first episode of Season 2 tonight. I can't wait till Sunday for my next Downton Abbey fix! Does anyone know how many episodes are in Season 2? I hope more than 4.

On Netflix they it is in 7 episodes IIRC, but perhaps it is the same content, just chopped up differently.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it! I can't watch Season 2 until it's on Netflix but I'm looking forward to it.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, Kenny. PBS must have combined the episodes - they schedule them for 90 minutes but leave some time up front and at the end for commercials. ImDanny, sorry you can't watch it on PBS. Hopefully, season 2 will be out on Netflix soon.

Who are your favorite/favourite characters? I love Lady Mary and the Countess/grandmother. Bates, the valet, kills me with his self-sacrifice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bates could use some therapy for his self-loathing disguised as honor issue but, man-o-man, what a cutie pie. :love:

I love the casting and acting job of O'Brian, maid to her Ladyship.
She really does a good job of being someone you just loath.
Maggie Smith is the Queen of the deftly-delivered one liners. :appl:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

The show is so well cast. I adore Mr. Bates! O'Brien and Thomas are so fun to watch, and Maggie Smith... :appl:

Check out this video of Siobhan Finneran who plays O'Brien. Wow, she really transforms for that role!
http://video.pbs.org/video/2165199641/

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay I started watching the series; the first 40 mins is hard to watch and then the rest gets really good. I am going to see if hubby wants to watch it too!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1326328020|3100796 said:
Bates could use some therapy for his self-loathing disguised as honor issue but, man-o-man, what a cutie pie. :love:

LOL! :))

I went to the PBS site for something else and found Season 2 or at least some of it. Anyone who's interested can go here:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2183945925

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

JGator|1326325900|3100771 said:
ImDanny, sorry you can't watch it on PBS. Hopefully, season 2 will be out on Netflix soon.

Thanks. Please call me Danny. :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I love Maggie Smith, of course. She makes that character so layered. Also Eliz. McGovern is superb & the relationship between those 2 women looks so real & complicated -- they respect each other & like each other on one level, on another they clash. Kenny, you got Bates to a T! LOL. Mrs. P...? the cook is excellent too.

My favorite character is that HOUSE. I heard where it's filmed but can't remember the name -- anybody know?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock

Its filmed at Highclere Castle in Hampshire. I love Lady Mary - perfect casting and also Carson is a favourite of mine.

I find Bates annoying.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I thought I remembered it from the royal jewels forum.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I started watching PBS' Manor House reality series (for the second time) on YouTube last night. Has anyone else seen it?

I'd be curious to know what you thought about it.

My impressions were: wow, those people were overworked- and the modern people couldn't begin to handle the workload and working conditions that would have existed at the time (and I don't blame them- 16 hours of doing laundry and scrubbing pots/ 7 days a week, no workers' rights, with the option of doing what you're told or being turned out into the streets with no reference- pretty brutal working conditions if you ask me)...

and I thought the modern family were... I don't want to be negative but... such snots. :???:

I'm ready to start Episode 4. I'm looking forward to the French chef getting offended when the family refuses to eat his cooking. :cheeky:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Danny,
I've never seen Manor House. I'd like to give it a whirl-sounds interesting! I'm into the whole upstairs/downstairs theme. (though I've never watched that show!)

Have you seen Gosford Park? ...another great one with Maggie Smith.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Gosford_Park/60021796?trkid=2361637

...and if you want to read about how "the help" really had it-back in the day, I'd check out At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. No gloss--just fun (crude) facts.

http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Short-History-Private/dp/0767919386

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Some replies in this thread were removed for giving links to questionable content or illegal streaming. Please keep links to official sources only.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

COATIMUNDI, I totally just ordered the Bryson book, thanks for the rec! Now I just have to be patient til the end of January when it's estimated to arrive.

Just saw the latest Season 2 episode. I love watching Anna and Mr. Bates together, there is so much love and yearning between them.

I agree about the casting -- it's perfect. And the acting!!! Old Lady Grantham is probably my favorite character, with Carson and Bates a close second. Daisy is kind of annoying, but in an endearing way. Mrs. Patmore - love her to death! What I like about the characters is that no one is completely evil, or completely good....everyone is flawed to some degree, just like, well, us. This is one of the few shows I've ever followed where I completely lose myself while watching, all my cares just disappear.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

so its rumored that Thomas will be back to manager the Hospital in the next episode.So what no good will O'Brien and Thomas be up to this next Sunday?
Each week several people come over to watch the new episodes and we have dessert and popcorn during the show.
What desserts would you serve during the show?Need some good out of the ordinary ideas!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock

Jewelerman You need to go British for dessert - how about a steamed pudding, plum crumble, or maybe some Eton mess?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

Lottie UK|1326581663|3103093 said:
Jewelerman You need to go British for dessert - how about a steamed pudding, plum crumble, or maybe some Eton mess?
The plum crumble sounds good! what is Eton mess? thanks for the suggestions!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

jewelerman|1326572828|3103027 said:
so its rumored that Thomas will be back to manager the Hospital in the next episode.So what no good will O'Brien and Thomas be up to this next Sunday?
Each week several people come over to watch the new episodes and we have dessert and popcorn during the show.
What desserts would you serve during the show?Need some good out of the ordinary ideas!

jewelerman, how fun! I am so addicted to this show, it isn't even funny. I've already ordered the season 2 DVD and wanted to get the book, but haven't yet.

For your dessert, I don't think you could get any more English than ... English trifle! It's a layered dessert with ladyfingers, custard, raspberry jam, fruit, and sherry. (If you can't find ladyfingers, cut-up pound cake can be substituted.) It's traditionally layered in a flat-bottom, straight-sided, footed glass bowl (a trifle bowl) but it doesn't have to be. If you have little clear glass bowls of some sort, you can make individual trifles, too.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

blueiris|1326589968|3103150 said:
jewelerman|1326572828|3103027 said:

jewelerman, how fun! I am so addicted to this show, it isn't even funny. I've already ordered the season 2 DVD and wanted to get the book, but haven't yet.

For your dessert, I don't think you could get any more English than ... English trifle! It's a layered dessert with ladyfingers, custard, raspberry jam, fruit, and sherry. (If you can't find ladyfingers, cut-up pound cake can be substituted.) It's traditionally layered in a flat-bottom, straight-sided, footed glass bowl (a trifle bowl) but it doesn't have to be. If you have little clear glass bowls of some sort, you can make individual trifles, too.
how could i forget trifle! Im glad that there are several episodes left so that we can try a different dessert each week! so i will need more ideas!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

decodelighted|1325997974|3097703 said:
We ordered it from England and have watched Season 2 & the Xmas special already. :naughty:

I've seen it too. It was great. My sister and I watched the Christmas Special on Boxing Day.
So glad there will be a Season Three.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen through the second episode of season two, and have acquired the rest of season two and the Christmas special to watch this weekend.

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite character - I love them all so much! Even the characters I hate, like Thomas and O'Brien, are still sympathetic and well-acted, and it wouldn't be fair to leave them off the list because they are awesome characters, even if I do want to stab them in the face. I guess if I HAD to pick, I like Mary, Carson, Anna, Bates, Lady Crawley, and the Dowager Countess of Grantham best. Oh and Sybil and Lady Grantham. And um. All of them?

Okay really my favorite character is THE CLOTHING.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock

jewelerman|1326585841|3103128 said:
Lottie UK|1326581663|3103093 said:
The plum crumble sounds good! what is Eton mess? thanks for the suggestions!

Here is a good recipe for Eton Mess - http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/eton-mess-19

Its better if you make the meringue yourself, because you can cook it until the inside is delicious and chewy. I also add a little warmed Dulche de Leche Caramel sauce to this when I have a really sweet tooth.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

coatimundi|1326486832|3102311 said:
Hi Danny,
I've never seen Manor House. I'd like to give it a whirl-sounds interesting! I'm into the whole upstairs/downstairs theme. (though I've never watched that show!)

Have you seen Gosford Park? ...another great one with Maggie Smith.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Gosford_Park/60021796?trkid=2361637

...and if you want to read about how "the help" really had it-back in the day, I'd check out At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. No gloss--just fun (crude) facts.

http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Short-History-Private/dp/0767919386

Hi Coati,

Yes, you can find it at YouTube in I think 6 episodes. Easy to find. Worth watching.

I haven't seen Gosford Park. I want to! Thanks for that!

Thanks for the book recommendation!

One more I'd like to mention is BBC's comedy To the Manor Born. If you haven't seen that I recommend it! It's not about upstairs/ downstairs exactly but it is about the woman who lived in the manor house being displaced to a cottage, or carriage house, or something on the estate while a foreign born grocery store magnet and his mother move in the manor.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: whos watching season 2 of Downton Abbey starting tomorro

I keep hearing great things about this series so this thread has been the impetus for us to join netflix through our TIVO and watch it. Anyway, we did this last night and Downton Abbey was unwatchable because the file content was corrupted. At least that was how the netflix representative portrayed the problem and now we are waiting for them to replace the file and make the show available to the viewers. Ugh, I really want to see this show!!! And I do not want to watch it on a computer so please Netflix- fix the issue!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Missed episode one, of this new season. Think I can find it online to catch up? Suggestions?

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1326674184|3103785 said:
HI:

Missed episode one, of this new season. Think I can find it online to catch up? Suggestions?

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon,
I think you can watch all the episodes (including season 2) online. Try this link:
http://www.sidereel.com/downton_abbey

I am disappointed as Netflix streaming still hasn't fixed the problem with the downton abbey season 1 episodes. So I think if we have the time today my dh is going to hook the computer up with the tv so we can watch season 1 online through the tv. I hate watching shows/movies on the computer so if this works that would be good. Also, pbs.org is showing all of season 1 until tomorrow I believe.

Hope it works for you- enjoy! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results