clarity

who controls the money you or your SO?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I pay my bills and the household bills, he pays his own bills. We have separate accounts. If we want major purchases, we split the price. It works for us :D

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
We have separate accounts, but I'm the one in charge of tracking money coming and going.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me! We ended up combining all of our accounts this past year which makes it much easier for me to stay on top of everything.

How about you DF? Does your wife just give you an allowance?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm in charge of the joint checking account and the joint savings account. We are responsible for our own individual checking accounts and investments. We compare quarterly mutual fund statements, but D does keep a "trading" account that I don't like to see because I don't have the stomach for the fluctuations.

DF, we know who is in charge of your accounts: your daughter! :tongue:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He controls his.
I control mine.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl|1326224697|3099640 said:
We have separate accounts, but I'm the one in charge of tracking money coming and going.

This.

As we began combining things, we ran into the occassional oopsie where he thought I took care of a bill and I thought he took care of a bill...
It is far easier to just have one of us (me since I'm better at the paper & balancing of stuff) sit down and pay the bills.

He has his account. I have my account. I pay the bills out of both.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He makes the money, and I'm the one who manages it and pays the bills. We have joint accounts and individual accounts, and I manage all of them (except for his IRA).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PRETTY equal. We have 4 accounts:
His account, which we have the savings in because there's enough in there that we get the best rate of interest in it.
My account, which is my junk money for when I buy crap
Joint account, which my check goes into plus all bills are paid from. I transfer from his account to cover bills.
Business account, my business stuff.

I pay all the bills from joint with about two exceptions, he has the home phone/internet and the credit card payments come out of his account. I write and mail the bills as they are due, mostly because I am an epic control freak about when they go out and he just schedules crap willynilly and ends up bouncing something.

We have one Mint.com account which we both log into, and usually we both go in at least once a day, he likes to go in and give himself a migraine about the house value and investments, and then nag me about what I might have spent at Nordstrom or Target.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We just slog it all together, there really is no his or hers. He's an adult and if he wants to spend a bunch of money, I have no say. AND visa versa. We're both pretty responsible, and we know what we have and what we don't, so nobody goes crazy. We both have REAL problems with authority, or someone telling us what to do, so if either of us started counting change, I think we'd go nuts. But our money styles are pretty similar, so it works for us.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Currently, we have a shared system - what's mine is mine and what's his is mine too!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

No - I used to pay all the bills on the joint account then flipped and turned the bills over to him. I think it showed the amount of juggling that sometimes had to take place but all seems to work smoothly now. I also think I pay for more of the 'fun' things and he does the 'maintenance' things.

Works for us!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
iLander|1326229896|3099734 said:
We just slog it all together, there really is no his or hers. He's an adult and if he wants to spend a bunch of money, I have no say. AND visa versa. We're both pretty responsible, and we know what we have and what we don't, so nobody goes crazy. We both have REAL problems with authority, or someone telling us what to do, so if either of us started counting change, I think we'd go nuts. But our money styles are pretty similar, so it works for us.

This.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1326230358|3099739 said:
Currently, we have a shared system - what's mine is mine and what's his is mine too!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
lol as it should be!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame said:
Enerchi|1326230358|3099739 said:
lol as it should be!

I know --- perfect world/perfect system!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have an account each. His salary goes into his account and we move savings into mine. I am in charge of making sure the bills are paid on time and they come out of his account. If I want to spend a lot (more than £100) on something I run it by him first. If he says no I won't spend it. It works for us.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1326224902|3099647 said:
Me! We ended up combining all of our accounts this past year which makes it much easier for me to stay on top of everything.

How about you DF? Does your wife just give you an allowance?
LOL!! how can i get blood out of a turnip? ... ::) We have separate accounts, however i'd control our IRA stock trading accounts and her 401K account.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1326224953|3099650 said:
I'm in charge of the joint checking account and the joint savings account. We are responsible for our own individual checking accounts and investments. We compare quarterly mutual fund statements, but D does keep a "trading" account that I don't like to see because I don't have the stomach for the fluctuations.

DF, we know who is in charge of your accounts: your daughter! :tongue:
not really, b/c i'm the one whom decides what stock to purchase for their Roth IRA accounts.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
He makes it, and I make sure it goes where it needs to.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
We have a joint checking and savings account that we both contribute to (though he makes much more than I ever will). Then we each have our own investment/money market accounts. Bills, mortgage, fun stuff almost always comes out of our joint accounts. It's only been occasionally that we ever dip into our separate accounts. Those are mostly just for retirement.

I handle all the regular bills. The only one he's ever concerned with is the Amex bill. I let him monitor that and pay it out of our checking account.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What money?

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
He's in control completely. I'm clueless...completely.

All of our accounts are shared, our paychecks are directly deposited into a joint checking and he pays all the bills.
I don't know how much money we have total, or the amount on any of our bills....I don't even know how much our mortgage is.
All I know is that my husband is very good with money, we have 401k's, college funds, emergency savings funds, and as long as I'm not going on any crazy shopping sprees buying expensive things that are over 1K (like jewelry), I won't bounce any checks :cheeky: .

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
For the most part, I do. We have joint checking and savings accounts and I'm the one who makes sure the bills are paid. He has a separate checking account that he deposits gig money into (he's a part-time musician) to pay for musical gear and gifts for me that he doesn't want me to see on the joint accounts ;-) and I have a 401K.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ame|1326228125|3099698 said:
...he likes to go in and give himself a migraine about the house value and investments, and then nag me about what I might have spent at Nordstrom or Target.

OMG are you married to my husband???

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I like tracking the finances and love spreadsheets, so I do most of it. We have a joint brokerage account that we use for checking (all ATM fees are reversed!), and we recently closed the last of our non-joint checking accounts. We have savings with ING and Ally. Ally is our joint emergency fund/big savings account for things like cars, and ING is for dividing up accounts into 'goals' for using Mint.com's goals feature, so I can have my bling fund and we can have a savings account for our gym membership renewal, etc. DH has his own IRA and financial advisor, and I have my own IRA and select my own mutual funds. I am the 'nerd' and my DH is more the 'free spirit' but he grew up without any money so kind of forgets that he has it to spend. :cheeky:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He pretty much takes care of paying the bills but I wouldnt say that he "controls" the money in the house. I buy what I want to
buy and vice versa unless its a costly item. Costly items get discussed. We are both pretty frugal/cheap so we never seem to
have money "issues".

Why? Mrs.DF wont give you any money for new koi? :cheeky:

I manage everything. We still have separate checking accounts, but I pay all of the bills from his, and my school loans from mine :)

We don't have a "my money, your money" mentality... it's just "our" money. Though, he DOES keep me in check for large purchases. I've never been the kind of girl that would buy something and hide it from DH. I tell him everything. Sometimes he gets irritated, "Do you reallllly need more nail polish?" but he doesn't say "OMG NO NAIL POLISH FOR YOU!"

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
We have always had one shared checking account. I've always managed the bills, etc. We each have an investment account but they're managed toward the same goals. We do talk over big purchases (jewelry, furnace, furniture, etc.) but I don't ask his permission to buy something and he doesn't ask mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results