shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Classes Would You Take?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the best perks of my new job is that my husband and I can take any classes that we'd like, and all tuition and fees are waived for us. I'm pretty sure DH is going to take drum classes, but I'm not sure what I'd like to take. There are just too many options!

SO, if you could take any classes offered by your local community college, which would you take?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A modern dance class, a yoga class, a photography class - or ten! I bet they have some cool gemstone classes too..

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to take a drawing or painting class. I have no artistic ability whatsoever but it would be fun to learn and try it out.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think you'd have to either choose something academic or something creative. What fields interest you? Astronomy? Maybe a business class to keep the Haven idea fresh? Maybe a little Organic Chemistry? :) Or you could do something more creative--I feel like photography classes are always practical since it's something you use in everyday life. Or I like Zoe's idea of a painting class. I also like Yssie's idea of a dance class, but that's for selfish reasons since I miss it--is there anything you used to do that you miss?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably take a dance class or (if among the options) a foreign language.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would take a photography class or a foreign language class.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm debating signing up for "Freelance Writing for Publication" but I don't know that the hours will work with my work schedule. :(

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take spanish. I was in the last graduating class that didnt have to have foreign language credits and now I wish
I knew a foreign language.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took an awesome modern dance class at my school, so I ditto yssie on that. It was fun and a fantastic work out. I've also taken Spanish (I also get free tuition at my job) and I really enjoyed it.

Hmmm...photography would be good if you like taking pictures. Maybe a painting and printmaking class?

Let us know what you end up taking!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Id take italian and maybe french as well...and id love to take an art class. And id like to learn piano...

Id also be interested in creative writing but that might be a bit much with the languages =)

its a great opportunity Haven, take advantage!

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
I'd say go with something you are interested in or want to learn more of. For me that would probably be writing, poetry, yoga or a second language such as spanish which I took some of in college.

I would be careful with art classes. Many of them have you buying your own supplies (not sure if your job will cover that cost) and a lot of students (even in beginner) are advanced so it can be discouraging... but if you are into painting/papermaking/drawing then go for it. I know different schools offer different things but one thing I always wanted to take was basket weaving... how neat would that be!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
For a fun class, I would probably take some type of art class - painting, drawing, or maybe even pottery. Photography could be a fun class, and I always thought graphic design might be interesting (but then again, computers can irritate the heck out of me, so that's why I never went through with taking one in college!)

For a more intellectual class, I would take any psychology or sociology class. I loved pretty much every psychology class I ever took in college, and towards the end I was taking advanced psych classes just because I enjoyed them so much (I didn't need them for my major anymore at that point). Two of my favorites were Abnormal Psychology and Psychology of Sexual Behavior :naughty: . But really all of them are pretty interesting.

By FAR, my two favorite classes I took in college were family relations classes - they were both pretty similar, and both dealt with relationships within families, getting married, having children and raising children, and decisions and issues families deal with. I found those classes had the most wonderful discussions, and most importantly, I found that so much of what I learned in class actually applied to my everyday life.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I would not take most art classes personally, as I nearly went to art school and can frequently draw better than the teacher. I would love to tke more jewelry making classes. In fact, I am going be an enabler and highly recommend you do the same :devil:

I might do a language depending on the options. If they had Chinese, I would be all over it; I feel like I have lost all of it.

I also love athletic classes. Dance classes are great, but I am picky about the types of dancing I do. More likely I would pick something like a self defense/martial arts thing, which I have not really done before but would like to.

You might also see if they have fun things like cooking or massage, I know those tend to have their own schools, but things that are practical and fun are always good.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having gone to art school I think there can be VERY talented faculty so I would not discount that. You can look up their work and decide for yourself. If I had a free class, and the time, I would take another photography class. I took a few in school but that was too long ago. I took horseback riding in college. That was fun.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely photography (I would be willing to lay out the cash for a good camera and supplies), a history class of a time period I know nothing about, Beginner Spanish (because I regret taking Latin), graphic design, an English class (and actually read the books this time)...

I've been looking into my local community college while I have time off, but I won't be back in the location by the time the semester kicks off. :(

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry--Can you take a late start class? They typically begin two weeks after the start of the semester. My school has a separate catalog listing for them.

I love reading everyone's replies, so thank you! I've been looking at the class schedule almost daily for about two weeks now because I just cannot decide what to take. I took Spanish all through high school and college and I've lost so much of it, so I thought that might be fun. However, I never took an art history class in undergrad, and I thought that could be really interesting. Yet, we also have beginning guitar class, and pottery, and tens of other classes I'd love to take. And NEL, you really hit on a big consideration of mine, which is the Haven. Maybe I should take a small business class. I'm going to narrow it down today and look up some information on the actual instructors to see if that might help.

I'm really enjoying reading what everyone would take, so keep 'em coming!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
art history,languages,jewelry making,investments and finance,communications,business,car repair,gender studies,

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Any and All history classes, literature and grammar.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Haven said:
sillyberry--Can you take a late start class? They typically begin two weeks after the start of the semester. My school has a separate catalog listing for them.

Actually, I just looked again and the continuing education classes might be the best fit for me. Shortened scheduling (so not a whole semester) and they hit a lot of the "fun" classes I would want to take! So no to a history or literature course, but yes to photography, graphic design, or Spanish.

Thanks for suggesting I look again and good luck picking!!!

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is a really awesome perk Haven! If I could take classes for free I would take photography, conversational italian, a yoga class, watercolor painting classes, and violin if it was available. On a more serious note, I would finish the few requirements that I have to finally finish my reqs for my degree in Art History.

ETA-oops, I just noticed you said CC, scratch the last part about finishing up my degree, because I couldnt there. My mistake.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely wine classes! I've wanted to take a wine class for years, but now the CC is too far away from my current job. I'll have to wait until we move closer to a CC again. I did take one in college, but I want to refresh my skills and maybe go for some type of certification.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I would love to take classes on art history, or architecture history! Oh, or music appreciation... :love:

Next on the list would be something in anthropology. The only one I took in undergrad was 'Cross Cultural research on Urban Gangs', which was amazing!

After that, language classes. Would love to be a polygot! And in the DC area, sign language is widely available, but I'd also love to do french, spanish and mandarin.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on the Spanish and Photography classes.

Drumming sounds fun too tho.........too many options arrghhh

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results