shape
carat
color
clarity

Which are would you move to? Chicago or San Francisco?

Which area would you move to?

• San Francisco

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Chicago

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1400095301|3672814 said:
Chicago suburbs--the cost of living is so much cheaper for everything--groceries, housing, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Your income won't get eaten up like it would in CA. You can buy a massive house in a beautiful neighborhood for a reasonable price. Yes, the weather is crappy in winter, but in spring, summer, and fall it's beautiful!

Yes. Save that COL money and put it towards a vacation to someplace tropical every February! The winters just "force" you to travel.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
SF. It's gorgeous, there is so much to do, and the weather in places surrounding SF is heavenly. Lots of great universities in the area too.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Everything's been said, but I'll add one thing. We lived in SF for 9 years, in the City, & we LOVED all the things people have mentioned (& I didn't find people unpleasant at all, quite the opposite). The cost of living info is true -- for $650 - 700K, if that's your budget, you would have to go for a long commute to buy anything probably equivalent to what you live in now. In the City, you could possibly buy a big closet. The one thing that continually made me sad was so many people leaving -- some live there forever, but a lot of people are there for a few years & then on to somewhere else, usually just as we got to be friends. Broke my heart! All the good things mentioned are true, though.

I had family in the Chicago burbs always; grandparents in Hinsdale where my dad grew up, and my mom & my aunt in Barrington, so spent a good deal of time there. It's not quite as madly eclectic as SF but still offers an awful lot to do. Schools are very good, depending on your location, of course. Winters: it's not Siberia. Great winter sports for kids & in summers the lake is right there. Midwest people are really really nice, as said above. The kind who mow your lawn without being asked if you get sick, offer to take your kids if you want to get away for a weekend, all that.

Definitely do some serious cost-of-living research before accepting SF especially if the pay offered isn't a LOT higher than the Chicago offer -- I agree that some companies lowball new hires unfamiliar with the financial load of living there. The ones who do look it up usually can't BELIEVE the numbers. :roll:

I love VA -- planning to move there next year, yippeee! Let us know what you decide!

--- Laurie

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
As JewelFreak stated, everything's been said, so my $.02 is probably moot. However, we've lived in Chicago for 17 years (in the city) except for 5 months (Oct 1998-Feb 1999) when we lived in Novato (a northern 'burb of SF). While we absolutely LOVED SF, the cost of living is what brought us back to Chi-town. We moved to NoCal to live in SF but couldn't afford anything (we were paying $900 for a 500 sq ft. 1br/1ba box apt.) which is why we ended up in Novato. I would move back in a heartbeat if we both had jobs that would afford us the luxury of living in the city, but unfortunately that's not a reality, so here we stay.

That being said, yes, Chicago winters suck (character builders, for sure!), but I love this city and I'm proud to call it home. Since you have kids, the suburbs are a good choice for you, because you don't want your kids going to Chicago public schools :nono: and private schools are very pricey.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never been to either place, but do live in the Midwest, so can comment a little I suppose.

Winters suck. The end.
P.S. High humidity and high temperatures so that you feel like you're breathing under water suck.

However. If you can get past that, the Midwest is beautiful. Seasons are amazing. It would seriously have to be like...millions to get us to move someplace w/no seasons. I lived in Arizona for three months and cried when I moved back and saw all the grass and trees and fields.

So, for us, it would be an easy decision. But it depends on what you guys are used to and what you would enjoy.

Just as an aside, it's interesting to see what property goes for in other places. Would be fun to have a thread on what you can get for your money.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1400110805|3673005 said:
Just as an aside, it's interesting to see what property goes for in other places. Would be fun to have a thread on what you can get for your money.

I thought there was one at one time or another :confused: Maybe? If so, we should resurrect it. If not, you should start it, Packie.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask how much people in colder weather pay for utilities? I ask because my in laws live in upstate NY, and I was astonished at how much they pay for electricity and propane. (In the hundreds almost year round because it's humid in the summer and freezing in the winter) In addition, they have to replace their cars far more often than us here in CA. I woder if that sort of balances out a bit?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1400112361|3673018 said:
Can I ask how much people in colder weather pay for utilities? I ask because my in laws live in upstate NY, and I was astonished at how much they pay for electricity and propane. (In the hundreds almost year round because it's humid in the summer and freezing in the winter) In addition, they have to replace their cars far more often than us here in CA. I woder if that sort of balances out a bit?

When I lived in Los Angeles (moved to Chicago in 2011), I had a 1000 square foot apartment. Here in Chicago, I have a 1200 square foot house. My utilities are about the same. I did not have central air in Los Angeles (but I do here) yet I paid more for electricity in LA than I do here. We have gas heat (same as we had in LA) and are on the budget plan where the bills are averaged out through the year and I pay $61 a month.

My DH has family in Connecticut and they have propane for heat. That is ridiculously expensive!

ETA: Our car insurance was reduced by half.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's expensive when it gets that cold/hot. And I don't keep our house very warm in the winter/cold in the summer, and we still pay thru the nose. We refinanced our home a few years ago to put siding on, new roof and new windows and that has made a huge difference. I can't imagine what we'd have paid this past winter when it was 50 below if we hadn't--we paid $300/month for heating those months and that was a slap in the face. Our vehicles rust fast too, b/c of the salt etc put on the roads for snow/ice.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Our gas bill averaged $140/mo from December-May. Interesting, from June-November the average was $30. And for some reason in May of 2013 our bill was $79. Electricity usually runs about $50-$60/mo, but August and October last year were over $100. Something seems off.... :confused:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In the Bay Area, we have six people in the household, kids with tons of laundry, 2500 square foot house, a person who works from home full time, so gas and electric is around $150 for all months except winter, when it can go up to $300-$400 for 2-3 months. Admittedly, we can be much better at energy conservation. But we do have a network running 24/7, and a minimum of three people in the house most of the time doing things. The house is rarely empty.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the cost of living is so much higher in CA that even cheaper gas bills wouldn't come close to making much of a difference. I mean, you can get a huge 4 bedroom 3 bath home with a basement and a two car garage in the Chi suburbs in a nice neighborhood for $300,000. I would pay slightly higher gas bills for that! In the summer, you don't need to run the AC that much if you live on a shady lot with lots of trees.

Replacing cars more often, that I've not heard of. It's definitely possible that mid-westerners would have to replace their tires more often though, especially with all the darn pot holes, lol.

I wonder if Californians have to pay more for homeowners insurance because of potential earthquakes, etc.?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1400121525|3673142 said:

I think the cost of living is so much higher in CA that even cheaper gas bills wouldn't come close to making much of a difference. I mean, you can get a huge 4 bedroom 3 bath home with a basement and a two car garage in the Chi suburbs in a nice neighborhood for $300,000. I would pay slightly higher gas bills for that! In the summer, you don't need to run the AC that much if you live on a shady lot with lots of trees.

Replacing cars more often, that I've not heard of. It's definitely possible that mid-westerners would have to replace their tires more often though, especially with all the darn pot holes, lol.

I wonder if Californians have to pay more for homeowners insurance because of potential earthquakes, etc.?

You can choose to buy Earthquake insurance if you want to. Yes, it adds a bit. probably $1K-??, depending on the value of your home. Lots of people don't, prob because the deductibles are high.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:

I think the cost of living is so much higher in CA that even cheaper gas bills wouldn't come close to making much of a difference. I mean, you can get a huge 4 bedroom 3 bath home with a basement and a two car garage in the Chi suburbs in a nice neighborhood for $300,000. I would pay a tiny bit higher gas bills for that!

Yeah, I was just told that "not everyone uses propane", haha, oops.

My in laws have been paying about $300 a month for propane during the winter, and about the same for electricity in the summer!! I think our electricity, gas, and water is under $75 a month. Depending on where you shop in CA, cost of living (aside from housing) is the same or lower. I was very surprised at how much we spent dining out in a small town. We also spend much less on groceries here in LA and we have a lot more variety. LA is a bit cheaper than SF, though. There are tons of places with lunch specials under $10, drink and all. Can't beat that. My husband said that the extra $800/month for mortgage to live in CA is so worth it because he never has to see snow again. :p

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
We live in a suburb (sort of) in the SF bay area. It's San Ramon and the school systems are fantastic. You can cross reference the greatschools website with the city to get a feel for how their schools fare. That said, a home here will set you back a LOT - as in a "fixer upper" is 500k (or more, depending on the size).

It's a beautiful city though.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you thank you thank you, everyone! The two threads that I have started about this topic have been invaluable to me! We have narrowed down our options:

1) If the CA job will let DH work from VA, and travel as needed, he will go with that offer and we will stay here (my favorite option). If the CA job won't allow that then DH will turn down the offer. We then move on to our other two options...

2) Accept the IL offer and move over the summer. Or...

3) Decline both offers, and hope DH finds a new job in VA. The problem is, is his current company is having problems meeting pay roll, paying their bills, etc. So DH has an urgency to leave sooner than later. We have several months of living expenses in savings, but DH doesn't want to touch that. We aren't entirely on the same page based on options #2 and #3, but we are slowly getting there. DH is at an executive level in his field, and jobs are harder to find at that level. He doesn't feel that he has 6-9 months to spare at his current company.

If we go with option #2, I will start posting in my other IL thread.

Our reasons for deciding not to move to CA are: the high cost of living, rental prices on homes, the schools, etc. DH would love to live there some day, so possibly when our youngest is done with high school, just he and I will move there for a couple of years for fun. :) I've never been so we are going to plan a SF trip in the next couple of years!

I will add that DH is still countering with the CA company. The IL company has countered with their final offer. We don't think the CA offer can come up enough to justify a move to CA, but you never know. So, a last minute game change could happen I suppose...

As for the IL winters, that is something we would need to prepare for. Our last winter here in VA was bad as well! Right now, I prefer having 4 seasons. When I'm older, I can see that changing.

And lastly, DH and I have discussed my own "relocation package" and it will be big and sparkly. :love: If we have to move, this will be very difficult for me. My entire immediate and extended family are here, and we love everything about our area. I've lived here my entire life. While it will be difficult for my DH to move as well, he knows it will be 1000 times harder for me. So, while I talk to my mother on the phone, updating her with our lives wherever we are, hopefully my new bling can help ease the sadness a bit. ;)) Maybe. :(sad

Thank you so much!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
tammy77|1400123609|3673157 said:
We live in a suburb (sort of) in the SF bay area. It's San Ramon and the school systems are fantastic. You can cross reference the greatschools website with the city to get a feel for how their schools fare. That said, a home here will set you back a LOT - as in a "fixer upper" is 500k (or more, depending on the size).

It's a beautiful city though.[/quote

Thank you, Tammy! I will look into that area right now.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1400123730|3673158 said:
Thank you thank you thank you, everyone! The two threads that I have started about this topic have been invaluable to me! We have narrowed down our options:

1) If the CA job will let DH work from VA, and travel as needed, he will go with that offer and we will stay here (my favorite option). If the CA job won't allow that then DH will turn down the offer. We then move on to our other two options...

2) Accept the IL offer and move over the summer. Or...

3) Decline both offers, and hope DH finds a new job in VA. The problem is, is his current company is having problems meeting pay roll, paying their bills, etc. So DH has an urgency to leave sooner than later. We have several months of living expenses in savings, but DH doesn't want to touch that. We aren't entirely on the same page based on options #2 and #3, but we are slowly getting there. DH is at an executive level in his field, and jobs are harder to find at that level. He doesn't feel that he has 6-9 months to spare at his current company.

If we go with option #2, I will start posting in my other IL thread.

Our reasons for deciding not to move to CA are: the high cost of living, rental prices on homes, the schools, etc. DH would love to live there some day, so possibly when our youngest is done with high school, just he and I will move there for a couple of years for fun. :) I've never been so we are going to plan a SF trip in the next couple of years!

I will add that DH is still countering with the CA company. The IL company has countered with their final offer. We don't think the CA offer can come up enough to justify a move to CA, but you never know. So, a last minute game change could happen I suppose...

As for the IL winters, that is something we would need to prepare for. Our last winter here in VA was bad as well! Right now, I prefer having 4 seasons. When I'm older, I can see that changing.

And lastly, DH and I have discussed my own "relocation package" and it will be big and sparkly. :love: If we have to move, this will be very difficult for me. My entire immediate and extended family are here, and we love everything about our area. I've lived here my entire life. While it will be difficult for my DH to move as well, he knows it will be 1000 times harder for me. So, while I talk to my mother on the phone, updating her with our lives wherever we are, hopefully my new bling can help ease the sadness a bit. ;)) Maybe. :(sad

Thank you so much!

Feb03, I'm so glad you found the pros and cons helpful. I do want to mention that if your DH is in the high tech sector, being in CA, especially near Silicon Valley, would be invaluable to building contacts and just being here meeting people in the industry. However, I'm sure you and your DH have factored that into the equation. Either way, looks like you have a plan. And visiting is a great idea before committing. I'm amazed that you have to make such a big decision in such a short time frame. If I were you, I wouldn't commit to either place without spending at least a month in both cities first. Good luck with everything!! I can't wait to see what your "relocation package" will look like! ;))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $500,000 here you will get a McMansion!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1400122853|3673148 said:
Laila619|1400121525|3673142 said:

You can choose to buy Earthquake insurance if you want to. Yes, it adds a bit. probably $1K-??, depending on the value of your home. Lots of people don't, prob because the deductibles are high.
We don't buy flood insurance and it save us about $380 per year.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK so above someone said your housing budget was 600-650k.

DO NOT MOVE TO NORCAL WITH A FAMILY OF 5 and that housing budget.

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1400130219|3673231 said:

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

Gypsy,

Our plan is to rent if we go to San Fran. :)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1400176131|3673572 said:

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

Gypsy,

Make sure you check the rental market before making your decision. Rentals are also VERY expensive. I'm a landlord so I am always checking rental markets in other cities. My DH lived in San Francisco (and Palo Alto) for several years before we met, so we visit SFO often - we even have season tickets to the San Francisco 49'ers. I'm not sure where you are planning to live - but rentals often have an "Open House" and the rents get bid up by prospective tenants. In the Haight district of SFO, 1 bedroom apartments often go for over $4000.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Salaries are also higher in higher cost-of-living places (but it never balances out totally).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

Gypsy,

Renting is not so bad. In many parts of the world land/home ownership is not how people amass wealth anyway.

One thing to think about that no one has mentioned: Before you relocate, evaluate the additional job opportunities for your DH in the area. You don't want to have to relocate again in a few years if, heaven forbid, he needs a new job again. In Canada, it seems to me that higher level execs DO move jobs a lot. The higher they get, the more they get blamed for bad things and "clearing house" seems to happen often. So think through and explore the opportunities in your new city before you accept so that you can ideally stay there long term once this move is over.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1400178847|3673598 said:

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

Gypsy,

Make sure you check the rental market before making your decision. Rentals are also VERY expensive. I'm a landlord so I am always checking rental markets in other cities. My DH lived in San Francisco (and Palo Alto) for several years before we met, so we visit SFO often - we even have season tickets to the San Francisco 49'ers. I'm not sure where you are planning to live - but rentals often have an "Open House" and the rents get bid up by prospective tenants. In the Haight district of SFO, 1 bedroom apartments often go for over $4000.

Holy schneikes, that is insane!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1400186546|3673689 said:
LAJennifer|1400178847|3673598 said:

YOU WILL BE MISERABLE.

Gypsy,

Holy schneikes, that is insane!!

It IS insane! Check out Craigslist for San Francisco apartments https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicago. I am a suburb kinda girl. I have been to both and I find SF really overwhelming and congested. Cost of housing is INSANE. Most of the public schools have low ratings. Parking...OMG, parking. I think Chicago will be more similar to what you are currently used to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You want to rent with 3 kids... that's a big apartment/house.

Rents are RIDICULOUSLY high.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1400222044|3673965 said:
You want to rent with 3 kids... that's a big apartment/house.

Rents are RIDICULOUSLY high.

My cousin just moved out there and was struggling to find a one bedroom/studio under $2,000. My sister lives in a not so great area in the Mission and her neighbor sold their two bedroom home for just under a million. Housing costs are so insane. Having lived in two regions with low costs of living (Midwest & South) it hurts to think about spending so much in rent on such tiny places.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results