shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are you going on Vacation this year?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have just booked a few days away without the children. I'm hoping I can relax! They will be in safe hands so hopefully I won't worry too much.

We decided to go to a Bed and Breakfast. It looks lovely. I love how the decor is so old fashioned! Its in Cornwall which is in the north west of England. Lots of lovely seaside!

Where are you going?

Bed-Breakfast-Padstow-home.jpg

Bed-Breakfast-Padstow-Pink-new.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww thats lovely! When are you due? I love babies!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We're not entirely sure yet. Our original plan was to go to Vancouver in September, but we're thinking of putting an offer on a house. The house needs new flooring so we would be sacrificing our vacation fund.

If we do buy the house, we will probably use my summer vacation time to visit my parents. Their new house is lakefront with a beach so its like a nice cottage vacation, but with cable and air conditioning!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pebble Beach. I am so excited.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl, My husband really wants to visit Canada. Its a long way from here (UK) but we do hope to go one day. It must be lovely to have a place you can go. I wish my mother lived somewhere nice! Good luck with the house!

Marcy, I googled Pebble Beach. It looks amazing! No wonder you are excited! I would be too!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful place, Maisie - looks very relaxing. :bigsmile:

Our trip is quickly approaching now. We depart Oz at midnight on the 31st of May, arrive in London the 1st of June. We're meeting my parents (I've purchased their airfare from the States as their Christmas present) on the 2nd. 2 days in London (I've honestly had my fill of it in the past, but it will be my parents' first time visiting), then headed to SW Ireland on the 4th. 8 days driving around the Ring of Kerry/Dingle Peninsula, then flying to Paris. 5 days in Paris, still with DH and my parents. At that point my parents fly home via London, we're continuing on. 5 days in the Swiss Alps (Jungfrau region), then flying to Izmir and doing 16 days in Turkey.

I've been to France and Switzerland before, Ireland and Turkey are both new to me. I am especially excited for Turkey. It looks so stunning and I'm looking forward to seeing all of the different landscapes from hiking trails, and horseback, and an obligatory hot air balloon! :appl:

I've wanted to see the travertines at Pamukkale since I saw a travel show as a child:

pamukkale.jpg

Edited: spelling, and adding the photo. :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait till our anniversary trip at the start of the summer - Las Vegas!!! It just feels so perfect to go there - I love LAS VEGAS!!! So excited to be returning for my 14th trip!!! gadingadingading - the dulcet tones of the slot machines... woohoo!!

Then off to Phoenix/Scottsdale for 3 days and then a rodeo 2 hours north (forget where!!) so a SW trip this year. We are both quite excited yet nervous - our #2 & #3 kids will be here with both dogs, so we are hoping that kids and dogs survive our absence and the house remains standing! Thankfully, we have ex military on both sides of us, so we KNOW they will be well monitored for wild behaviour!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Holy vacation, JustGinger! That sounds AMAZING! Actually, amazing doesn't even begin to describe that vacation. I am positively green with envy over here! :tongue:

Hubs and I are in the process of buying a house, but that didn't stop me from planning a relatively low key vacation for us to celebrate our first anniversary!

We'll be spending 3 nights in Boston in the Back Bay Area, and then driving up to Portland, Maine for 4 nights. The B&B we're staying at in Maine serves the most amazing looking breakfasts I've ever seen, and I'm SO excited to finally get to TASTE a few of them! :lickout:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I really, really love traveling - holidays and diamonds are where the bulk of our frivolous money gets spent. :naughty: I even enjoy the planning process, perhaps as much as actually GOING. The anticipation is sweet and lasts so much longer than the trip itself. :bigsmile:

Portland is wonderful though, vc. I visited back in the summer of 2002 and loved it, such a different feel than the midwest town I grew up in. I liked going down to the water and just smelling the air; back then the ocean was such a novelty for me. I remember seeing a book in the display window of a little used bookstore -- and the cover had a fully naked woman on it. I actually LOLed, thinking of the sort of reaction that would have gotten in my hometown! :rolleyes:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justginger! Your holiday looks so fabulous! I hope you are going to take lots of photos to share with us. :appl:

Vc10um, its funny but the breakfast is what draws me to the B&B we are staying in too! Its the first meal of the day, it has to be good!! Take photos! :lol:

Enerchi, you are in the same boat as me. Leaving the kids at home is a bit daunting. They are staying with their big sister in my house but we live on an air force base so i'm pretty sure we are safe to leave them too! Vegas and a rodeo? Excellent! We need photos of that too!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
jg...anything in particular we should take in in Portland? We're planning on driving up to Acadia for one of our days...hoping our B&B will pack us a breakfast to-go, and maybe a picnic lunch, too! I'm looking forward to just spending most of our four days reading, sipping iced coffee, and wandering through little shops and whatnot.

maisie, this is the website for the chef/owner of the B&B we're staying at in June. Makes you drool just looking at it, doesn't it??? And your B&B looks so lovely! I love the architecture!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie, if you are on an airforce base, your kids and house will be WELL monitored!!! I'd feel a lot more comfortable in that arrangement than I do with my ex military neighbours! I know the kids will be fine, it's the dogs I worry about (YIKES!! how terrible is that???) but the dogs can't open the door to go out to pee and they can't feed themselves or go for a walk on their own....

It always works out and we always have neighbours/friends dropping by just to say hi (not really - it's all so well coordinated by me behind the scenes, you'd think I was planning a military coup, prior to departure!!) and everything is fine when we come home, I just worry.

I love B&B's too - such decadent breakfasts compared to my coffee and cereal here at home!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Your expectations will definitely be met in Portland. It is such a hip little place, a really great community vibe (one thing I remember loving was the fact they had summer cinema nights, where they projected a movie on to the side of a blank building next to a park - everyone had picnics and bottles of wine, etc). The area around the harbor is full of kitsch. Old bookstores, antique shops, little jewelers, odds and ends everywhere, with plenty of homemade ice cream as well. :)) I really can't say enough about the place, it completely charmed me.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1336919325|3194297 said:
jg...anything in particular we should take in in Portland? We're planning on driving up to Acadia for one of our days...hoping our B&B will pack us a breakfast to-go, and maybe a picnic lunch, too! I'm looking forward to just spending most of our four days reading, sipping iced coffee, and wandering through little shops and whatnot.

maisie, this is the website for the chef/owner of the B&B we're staying at in June. Makes you drool just looking at it, doesn't it??? And your B&B looks so lovely! I love the architecture!

That looks so yummy!! I am going to save that site and try those recipes!!

There is a chef over here called Rick Stein. He owns a few seafood restaurants in Padstow (where we are staying) and we are very excited to try his food. My husband loves eating, I have to be careful as my tummy plays up a lot, so its definitely going to be a good time for him.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1336919466|3194299 said:
Maisie, if you are on an airforce base, your kids and house will be WELL monitored!!! I'd feel a lot more comfortable in that arrangement than I do with my ex military neighbours! I know the kids will be fine, it's the dogs I worry about (YIKES!! how terrible is that???) but the dogs can't open the door to go out to pee and they can't feed themselves or go for a walk on their own....

It always works out and we always have neighbours/friends dropping by just to say hi (not really - it's all so well coordinated by me behind the scenes, you'd think I was planning a military coup, prior to departure!!) and everything is fine when we come home, I just worry.

I love B&B's too - such decadent breakfasts compared to my coffee and cereal here at home!

We are leaving dogs with the kids too. I hope they remember to let them out!! You've got me worrying now! My daughter is 19 and very mature so hopefully she will cope very well and everything will be as I left it when I return :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone's vacations look and sound incredible.

Vc -- you'll love Portland and Boston. You're not from NE, right? I don't know why, but for some reason I keep thinking you have ties up here. I totally want to go to the B&B you mentioned. The food looks amazing! There are so many great places in and around Portland. We spend a lot of time in the Kittery, York, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport areas, which are on the way to Portland off 95N. If you're planning on doing any sightseeing in those areas, let me know if you'd like recommendations.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1336922135|3194327 said:
Everyone's vacations look and sound incredible.

Vc -- you'll love Portland and Boston. You're not from NE, right? I don't know why, but for some reason I keep thinking you have ties up here. I totally want to go to the B&B you mentioned. The food looks amazing! There are so many great places in and around Portland. We spend a lot of time in the Kittery, York, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport areas, which are on the way to Portland off 95N. If you're planning on doing any sightseeing in those areas, let me know if you'd like recommendations.

Zoe, I'm in the DC Metro currently, and have made a few trips up the East Coast in the past few years, but never so far as Boston and Maine. We might go the Kennebunkport one evening for dinner...our B&B hostess has recommended a few restaurants, but I'd love to hear more! PSers always have the best ideas and information!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondrnglover|1336922321|3194329 said:
We will be vacationing in my back yard :tongue:

Well at least you know you are safe to drink the water :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are doing two mini trips this years sans the kids! Asheville to drop DD at a three week camp :appl: and then a trip to Boston over the Fourth of July.

This isn't a vacation but it will use up some of our vacation time as we are returning to DC to attend the funeral of a friend's father who died in a plane crash in the Vietnam War. His remains were recovered I can't imagine how I emotional this trip is going to be but we are looking forward to being there for our friends.

lydia

Rough_Rock
We are going to Maui in July. It will be our third time there and each time I fall in love more. :appl:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justginer, that looks so awesome!

Maisie what a beautiful B&B!

Mayk, I love Asheville, are you going to the Biltmore?

Lydia, yay for Maui!

We are renting a house in Colorado with my family!!! :bigsmile: Next year we hope to go to Hawaii! Oh and in the fall we are going to PHX for some relaxing!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Let's see...

I've already been to the UK for 10 days, I've got a Mediterranean cruise in June (Rome, Sicily, Crete, Athens, and Ephesus), I'm going to Paris (and hanging out with Claritek!) for a weekend in June, I'm going to try to spend a weekend in Norway and Sweden, and maybe hit Berlin or Munich, I'm spending another week in the UK in September, and then...no idea.

(Normally I wouldn't travel quite soooo much, but I'm living in Scandinavia for the summer, so I've got a little more access to new places than I do when I'm living in NC.)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1336931006|3194373 said:
Let's see...

I've already been to the UK for 10 days, I've got a Mediterranean cruise in June (Rome, Sicily, Crete, Athens, and Ephesus), I'm going to Paris (and hanging out with Claritek!) for a weekend in June, I'm going to try to spend a weekend in Norway and Sweden, and maybe hit Berlin or Munich, I'm spending another week in the UK in September, and then...no idea.

(Normally I wouldn't travel quite soooo much, but I'm living in Scandinavia for the summer, so I've got a little more access to new places than I do when I'm living in NC.)

Thats a lot of holidaying!!! But I agree, you should make the most of your time in Europe. I live in England and I keep thinking I should get away more. All that lovely stuff is right on my doorstep!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, my husband loves to play golf and playing there is on his bucket list. I just want to go see the ocean and the pretty scenery around there.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We just got back from a mini vacay in Vegas on Monday. Planning on heading down to the Smoky Mountains in August with my sister and her kids. Then next year we are planning to go back to Maui with a couple of days spent in Lanai as well.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Maisie! That's looks beautiful!

I was planning on going to New York City with my sister in law in July. She was gonna check out the fashion district and I was gonna go to the diamond district. Dunno if we are gonna go anymore tho!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results