shape
carat
color
clarity

When trying on jewelry in Stores what excuse do you give?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently thinking about an upgrade and a reset in the near future. :appl:

I would love to try on lots of different cuts/styles/sizes but feel it is kind of wrong to do this in a B & M store when I know I will be going with a PS vendor.

Here in the Uk and specifically Glasgow, my home city, whilst there are a good number of stores, I feel very guilty about wasting their time. Plus most of them have had my business in the past, so kind of know me. :lol:

Also they don't necessarily have what I want to see, either in cut or size.

I am not going to get to see the good old US of A anytime soon. So any thoughts?

What do you do? What do you say. Do you feel guilty. Not that you should, but thats just me.

Ps For fun check out The Argyle Arcade, my favourite weekend hangout. Lots of jewelers and there is a fab old style bar/restaurant with a ballroom upstairs which occasionally has live jazz. Good times and purchases have been had in there, including my original engagement ring and the stiff drink we had to calm our nerves!!!

http://www.argyll-arcade.com/index.htm

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: When trying on jewelry in Stores what excuse do you give

susimoo said:
I am currently thinking about an upgrade and a reset in the near future. :appl:

I would love to try on lots of different cuts/styles/sizes but feel it is kind of wrong to do this in a B & M store when I know I will be going with a PS vendor.

Here in the Uk and specifically Glasgow, my home city, whilst there are a good number of stores, I feel very guilty about wasting their time. Plus most of them have had my business in the past, so kind of know me. :lol:

Also they don't necessarily have what I want to see, either in cut or size.

I am not going to get to see the good old US of A anytime soon. So any thoughts?

What do you do? What do you say. Do you feel guilty. Not that you should, but thats just me.

Ps For fun check out The Argyle Arcade, my favourite weekend hangout. Lots of jewelers and there is a fab old style bar/restaurant with a ballroom upstairs which occasionally has live jazz. Good times and purchases have been had in there, including my original engagement ring and the stiff drink we had to calm our nerves!!!

http://www.argyll-arcade.com/index.htm

susimoo, the line I emphasized is germane to my philosophy. I feel that if one may end up buying something in a jewelry store, that he should not fee guilty about entering its portals! Many is the time that I have entered a store to look at one item and ended up buying another. Obviously, if you have given these stores your custom in the past, they carry some items that you like. They might tempt you again. Do not let guilt be your undoing. It isn't good for you or for the jewelers!

AGBF
:read:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Wait. You're telling me that in Scotland there is a place that combines eating/drinking/entertainment.... and DIAMONDS?!? I am forwarding this link to DH straight away. I know where our next big vacation is going to be!!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tuckins1 said:
Wait. You're telling me that in Scotland there is a place that combines eating/drinking/entertainment.... and DIAMONDS?!? I am forwarding this link to DH straight away. I know where our next big vacation is going to be!!!

lol Tuckins me and you think alike, I wanna go there.....I would like to know the answer as well, I just cant force myself to go into jewerlers and look at stuff, because I feel like I am wasting there time and I really have the way the always try to push you into buying something :shock:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I want to go to that place! To answer your question though, I usually just say that I'm looking to get ideas of what I want my next piece(s) to be.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I usually say "That's pretty, can I try it on?" I guess I always assume the reason is implied, the reason being that I think it's pretty and I might want to own it.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone! :appl:

AGBF, I know you are correct. It's just I cannot allow myself any purchases until I do my upgrade. Hence my fear of going into the stores. :errrr:

Tuckins, Diamondrnglover and Zoe you would love it. However, be warned, you are not going to see a whole load of PS standard diamonds in there!!! It is a very pleasant distraction. :wavey:

Haven, good one! :wavey:

Diamondrnglover, you and I will just have to wait and see if anyone else can come up with any other great excuses and so lessen our guilt! :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

susimoo said:
AGBF, I know you are correct. It's just I cannot allow myself any purchases until I do my upgrade. Hence my fear of going into the stores. :errrr:

Ahhh! The plot thickens!

AGBF
:read:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I just say "Hi, can I try on X-Y-Z pieces", try them on, thank the salesperson, ask for a business card and scoot. If they try to give me the talk off I tell them I'm late to an appointment.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not sure. My soon-to-be-fiance and I visited nine jewelry stores before we picked our diamond, and we visited some of them more than once. We actually spent three hours at Jared's, trying different stones and looking through their online inventory. We even had them bring a diamond in for us, but then realized that we could find something of the same or better quality for less money. We were completely sincere when we had them request that diamond, but we found our diamond at a different store just a few days later. It was a bit difficult to go in and pretend to still be interested in their diamond. I feel kind of bad, but on the other hand, there were much better deals out there!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

I tend to pick a time when I know things will be quite quiet - I won't go 2 weeks before valentine's on a Saturday afternoon.

Most places if you get talking with a salesperson I've found them really keen to talk. Often they want to know what my e-ring is so it tends to start a conversation off. I'm also studying for my Gemmology fellowship so I can plead the 'student' line as well :bigsmile:

I've had De Beers in London let me try on a £2 million necklace and loads of rings and one sales assistant in Tiffany was a fellow tsavorite lover - he gave me a book on diamonds that they had lurking in the back just because he thought I'd be interested and then when he moved to a new job with Garrards 6 months later, a parcel arrived in my office with a hardback book of their new collection and a note saying that he thought I'd enjoy it (he was not trying to chat me up at all btw).

Most people like talking to people who are passionate about things they are also interested in I have found. In Hatton Garden I've had dealers bring stones out of their safes to show me just because they think I'd like to see. They know I don't have the £££ to buy them.

So, don't feel guilty - one day you might well buy something...

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

I can't imagine needing an excuse. Even if you are not buying right then and there, or even at their store when you eventually do buy, are you not still considered a customer? Would they know that you are not going to buy? I wouldn't offer information, if i didn't want to impart said info.

While I might not deliberately waste anyone's time trying on countless items, knowing full well that I would not buy from them, I have tried on items that I walked away from. Haven't we all taken clothes to the dressing room and left empty-handed? Same thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm the consumer, they have a product. If they want me to buy, and they've enticed me to consider buying, surely they would like me to try on before I simply walk away.

Taking that test drive is much preferable - - to the sales staff - - than you just kicking the tires.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

I say, "Would you mind writing down the serial/style number so that I can give it to my husband as a gift idea?". I don't do this with zero intention of ever buying anything, I just want to be able to do the research and get the best price.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock

I don't give excuses I'm blunt. I tell them I'm just here to look, so please feel free to leave me for other customers.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Shall we meet up? A (very) mini PS get together? I love browsing the Arcade and I'm always happy to have an excuse to go there. ;)) Cocktail at Rogano afterwards?

I have noticed over the last 6-12 months that the styles popular on PS are starting to pop up in the arcade. We must be serious trend setters...

Jen

misssoph

Shiny_Rock

I make a vague comment about it being my tenth wedding anniversary soon and Im just getting ideas....
This works quite well as because they dont think that Im actually going to buy anything MYSELF today they dont push me too hard but just write the details on a card to give to me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Just wanted to add, it's never a good idea to go browsing with a guy - they instantly put the pressure tactics on.

Oh and asking for the serial numbers (to give to DH) is always a good one if you start feeling bad! ;-)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sizzle said:
I don't give excuses I'm blunt. I tell them I'm just here to look, so please feel free to leave me for other customers.

I do that too.

sparklebunny

Rough_Rock
Hey, a fellow Scot! I actually live in Cambridge now (England) but grew up in Edinburgh. My 2 best friends live in Glasgow though so I'll need to pay a visit next time I'm up!

Your AVC must stand out up there!

When I was looking for my current setting I wasn't sure what route to go so spent a LOT of time in B&M stores, inc Tiffany in London. I said that my old ER had been damaged (dropped on the kitchen floor and chipped) and I was out shopping for a replacement with the insuraance proceeds. I did the same "need to rush off" or "need to talk it over with the other half" and asked for a business card on departure.

I'm in the market for an AVC myself (RHR) - will keep an eye out for when yours pops up.......................

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you, AGBF,Nashville, Shihtzulover, Pandora, HollyS, Kelpie, Sizzle, Missoph, Harriet and Sparklebunny! :appl: :appl: :appl:

You have all given me great things to think about!

Sorry about the late reply. I am currently in the home of golf, St Andrews, for a long weekend with my DH and DD. I love it here. Holidayed here as a kid, many, many times and have fabulous memories. Now delighted to be recreating them with my own little family!

So today I will go into the few jewellers and antique dealers and put this to the test!! Will report back. :bigsmile:

Jennifer W, I would LOVE to do a mini PS get together! You have also combined my two loves, diamonds and cocktails beautifully! Actually DH just a very successful anniversary dinner in there last month and I have developed a taste for their French Martini!!! :lol:

:wavey:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

We should do this! Maybe message admin when you're ready to fix a date? I believe they kindly agreed to facilitate GTGs.

I'm 45 minutes away, so anytime!

Jen

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Will do that as soon as I am home! Looking forward to it already! :bigsmile:

A Scottish PS GTG. Wooohoo!!! :wavey:

Ps I was not drinking French Martini's when typing my previous post (the missing words etc :errrr: )
I was being distracted by a 4 year old girl who was desperate to get to St Andrews town centre to buy a toy! Apologies! :oops:

Pps She got Elmo! :lol:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

St Andrews is so lovely! I work in Kirkcaldy two days a week, and I'm often tempted to drive on to St Andrews instead of stopping at my office.

Looking forward to the martinis. Their bellinis are also worth drinking....

Jen

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

St Andrews is fabulous! Although I have eaten a bit too much and Sara has had a few too many ice creams!

Now, bellini's....... mmmmhhhhh! Now your talking! Will be in touch on arrival home Internet here is painfully slow! :wavey:

LGK

Ideal_Rock

I have found most salespeople who are in nice stores, who are good at what they do, simply love to have someone who is somewhat knowledgeable about jewelry there to talk to, whether or not you're going to buy right that moment or not. If you're polite and friendly, and of course don't distract them when they have a customer there who might actually buy, they usually are totally fine with you not being there to buy just now but to simply browse.

One jeweler who works near me has actually closed his shop to bust out the *really* nice stuff in the safe for me to play with, just because he knows I'm one who could appreciate some of his gorgeous antique cushions.

Even in some of the super upscale places like Harry Winston, Tiffany etc., I've had the same experience- them letting me play with the super duper high end stuff just for fun, and the salespeople being really nice and helpful.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Looking forward to it Suzi. You can contact me via work (I'm sure David won't mind) or message admin.

Is PO reading this?? If you want to come along, would be fantastic to see you. Anyone else in Scotland?

Jen

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You don't need an excuse.

Just go try stuff on.

sparklebunny

Rough_Rock

Oh St Andrews is fab, I love the beach there. I nearly went to Uni there but about half my school decided to the same so I ended up staying in Edinburgh.

I come up fairly regularly as most of my family still live there, we actually got married in Edinburgh at the end of May - that's Edinburgh castle in the background of my avatar - so let me know if a GTG is on the cards. How exciting :appl:

Bellini's and diamonds - doesn't get much better than that!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I'd say just do it and have fun!

People who are very good at sales don't alienate potential customers by giving them an attitude or judging them. People who are very good at sales know you can't always tell when people have money and you certainly can't tell whether they'll come back in the future. People who are very good at sales are interested in you having a satisfying experience.

So have one!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

sparklebunny said:
Oh St Andrews is fab, I love the beach there. I nearly went to Uni there but about half my school decided to the same so I ended up staying in Edinburgh.

I come up fairly regularly as most of my family still live there, we actually got married in Edinburgh at the end of May - that's Edinburgh castle in the background of my avatar - so let me know if a GTG is on the cards. How exciting :appl:

Bellini's and diamonds - doesn't get much better than that!

So it is! Edinburgh Castle. I didn't spot it! Come and join us, if you're here. This could turn into a surprisingly well attended gtg. Anyone else?

Jen

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results