shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats for Xmas/holiday dinner?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are most people doing the turkey thing or something different?

I'm going to try a standing rib roast. I've never cooked one before so I'm hoping all goes well. Anyone have any pointers?

Are you cooking for Xmas/holiday dinner and whats on the menu???

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Im super pumped for Christmas dinner - its the one time a year i have stuffing and plum pudding :lickout:

ill be doing the traditional dinner, turkey, roast potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower gratin, peas, stuffing and maybe roast pumpkin...

For appys im thinking mini bruschettas and goats cheese fritters...

then dessert will be apple and pumpkin pies (and ill sneak my plum pudding at some point - they're only mini-microwave ones that my Mum sent me as you cant get the real thing here!)

Tyty a standing rib roast sounds delish - id love to do a roast beef as well but i dont know how to do a really good one, ive tried a couple of times and its always just so-so...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Christmas is at my house this year, so I get to come up with the menu!

I'm not really a turkey fan, so I wanted to do duck this year. I've never cooked duck (always afraid of dealing with the huge amounts of fat that drip off), but I really want to try it this year. We need to do another meat, but MIL is kind of picky so I think we'll just do a roast chicken (hopefully that'll fit in the oven next to the duck).

For sides, I'm making brussel sprouts, creamed onions, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. I think that's everything!

I also wanted to try a cocktail with pomegranate juice, sparkling wine, and ice wine that I found online - the moms will like it because it's sweet ;)) Not sure about dessert - I don't have much of sweet tooth so I haven't even thought of it! Hopefully somebody will come up with something good.

I haven't decided on what we'll do for Christmas Eve. My mom wanted to do a lasagna, but there will only be four of us (MIL and SIL are going somewhere else that night) and a lasagna seems like a lot of food to find room for in the fridge. I do still want to make homemade pasta though, so maybe we'll just do noodles or ravioli instead of lasagna.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We are going to have 3 interesting menus for Christmas.....

on the 23rd, we are going to my boss's house for a Swedish Smorgassbord (sp?), it's going to consist of lots of pickled raw fish etc!

On Christmas day I'm cooking bone in prime rib roast with cream spinach, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding and other fixins.

Lastly, on the day after Christmas, we are having Chinese style hot pot with my cousins.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We go to my parents' for Christmas dinner. We usually have ether prime rib or swordfish, mashed potatoes or garlic red potatoes, and some sort of veggie. For dessert, it's usually a platter of Christmas cookies that my mom got at various bake sales in our area.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are doing a prime rib roast on Christmas eve. DH has to work on Christmas day. I have a recipe for awesome chicken wings
that a neighbor brought me after I had my third baby many many years ago. (kid is now 22). It has become a family fav, so I will
make them on the 25th and we will just munch all day on leftovers.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I am hosting this Christmas so my menu is:

Appetizers-3 cheese hot artichoke dip with tri color tortilla chips and Cajun stuffed mushrooms
Main - Deep fried turkey, butt ham cooked in coca cola,
Sides- mashed potatoes, cream corn, kernel corn, broccoli and carrot medley, regular stuffing and sausage & portebello mushroom stuffing, and apple baked squash.
Dessert- Harvey Wallbanger cake, shortbread, sugar cookies, butter tarts, nanaimo bars and CHOCOLATE.

Hopefully it will feed all 10 of us. :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I forgot appetizers! I was lumping them under Christmas day lunch, but I guess they're really appetizers.

My mom wanted to make some kind of dip, since I was given a mini crockpot when a friend moved and I've never used it. I was thinking spinach artichoke, or maybe something cheesy.

We'll also have deviled eggs! DH and I can eat them til we're sick, so we'll need a lot. ::)

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
it's just me & dh for the holidays, so we're doing things smaller. i'm baking lasagna & i'll probably make a pie too for dessert. probably chocolate because it's my favorite & it's easy :) instead of slaving away in the kitchen, we're planning on opening presents & having a christmas movie marathon. [although, i would gladly slave away in the kitchen if it meant we got to spend the holidays with our families but that's not in the cards for us this year.]

i hope everyone's day is filled with love & joy & lots of full tummies!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm hosting dinner for the in-laws and don't have a menu yet! lol. I'm running behind this year.

So, let's see. Either ham or turkey, I have a turkey in the freezer so I'd need to get him out today to thaw. Or just buy a ham. Either roasted or smashed potatoes. Harvard beets, I love my beets! Some form of carrots and green beans. Fresh bread (the frozen kind) and assorted cookies and candies for dessert. They come in the late morning so I'll have homemade cinnamon rolls then and no appetizers.

My in-laws are very picky. No pasta, meat has to be overdone so I rarely make red meat for them, no alcohol even in sauces, few vegetables- FIL doesn't eat ANY, no tomatoes, no cheese sauces....there are more....ugh.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Im cooking Dinner for C, this year, along with a few close friends, and my mom. Well mom is having desert, she is going to my sister house first. I just planned our menu, so no worries....it will be a buffet of:

Salt Roasted, and Herb Crusted Rib Eye Beef ( I guess its like prime Rib)
Traditional Brown Sugar, Ham
Loaded Mash Potatoes
Green Beans
Chicken and Rice Mix( Friend is bring this)
Fried Pork Thingys( So Good...OMG....Cant wait)
Yucca with LOTS of Butter
Fried Plantans( So Yummy)

Red Wine For Dinner/Cocktails

Dessert Buffet:
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Pecan Topping
Chocolate Cupcakes with a Mousse Filing
Coconut Maccorrns( Its a tradition, and a request now)
Chocolate Chip Cookies( Possibily)

EggNog and Coffee During Dessert

Any Left Over Sweet will go to the Football Bar we go to, as Christmas Gifts for the people there. HeHe....dont want leftovers around the house, C will eat them and get fat, cant have that. LoL....

Agent P

Rough_Rock
We're having ham, potato casserole, broccoli casserole, corn, brussel sprouts, and rolls. I will also be putting out a veggie and relish tray and we will have plenty of cookies, cake and wine. We are doing our main dinner with the extended family on Christmas Eve.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I doing a different meal this chirstmas

Rack of lamb - with dijion and rosemary
Rice pilaf
roasted brussel sprouts with panchetta and pine nuts
buttered carrots

I haven't thought of a dessert maybe I just let the kids make ice cream sundaes

:bigsmile:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
okay, got my menu ready!

Turkey with LOTS of herbs for a good gravy
Smashed gold potatoes with skins
Green beans with the bacon
Carrots cooked with butter and brown sugar
Harvard beets
Fresh white bread

peanut butter fudge
cherry cheesecake
cookies

We have snacks all day and night at my mom's on Christmas Eve. That's my favorite!

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I like the garlic spinach better, i think it would be too much, with the mashed potatoes....and thank you for the reciepe...im so excited.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I've been on a diet for 5 months and Christmas Day is going to be the first day and the last day in a long time that I'm going to eat "normal" food.

traditional breakfast with eggs, bacon, biscuits

something great SO will make for lunch

turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, salad for dinner

some real dessert

I can't wait.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Everything sounds so good! I am suprised at all the sides and how many are doing brussel sprouts, I love them but no one else in my family does :(sad also beets, nummmy! This is our menu.

Vedgies and dip
bbq weenies (the kids will clean out this crockpot in minutes)

Roast beef
mashed potatoes
green beans with mushrooms
corn
orangello (orange jello salad with tapioca and manderin oranges in it, awesome) plus I live in minnesota, I think there is a law you have to have jello at every holiday.
7 layer salad
lutefisk
buns
sparkling cider
winehavens cranberry wine
lots of cookies and better then sex cake.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hosting Christmas Eve at our house...we always just do simple appetizers: Deviled Eggs, BBQ Meatballs, Guacamole and Chips, Chicken Wings, Fruit and Cheese, Potato skins, etc......

My mom is doing Christmas Dinner---we normally do Lasagna, but this year she wants Mexican...so we are having Enchiladas...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1293001923|2803533 said:
Here is how you do a rib roast: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

I'm taking mine out of the vacuum-pack tonight and salt and pepper it.

I'm gonna serve with mashed potatoes and spinach. You guys think creamed spinach or sauteed with garlic is better? I love creamed spinach, but worried it's going to be too monotone with the creamy mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the link...I hope I dont screw it up! Its only me and DH so if I do it wont be too bad. I havent bought mine yet so
I guess I'd better go get it today!

I love creamed spinach but I think it might be too much with mashed pots too.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are doing 2 whole chickens and smoking them. My hubby does a great job! Then we will have tamales, and lots of side dishes (brussel sprouts, potatoes, and a few others). Hubby wants to make a fresh french bread. My sister is going to make dessert. We do Christmas at my house each year.

I kind of want to deviled eggs; sounds yummy!!!

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
So we are having tamales, some other latin food, so that means less cooking for me. YAY.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of food and this is totally off topic- I just remembered I bought these Asian noodle/ spice package soup things and now I can have something to eat without cooking. Sorry for the interruption. :cheeky:

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
For the past 4 christmas days I have done a 8 pound beef tenderloin. But the effort and babying necessary to mKe sure it is not ruined or over cooked is tremendous. Pluss after spending lots of $ I don't way to spend $200 on a piece of meat. Couple that with having 2 babies, the christmass tenderloin has gone the way of the dodo. Turkey it is!

thethein11

Rough_Rock
Usually it’s Drunken Ham (ham infused with apricot liqueur) every year but I believe this year we will be doing Lasagna.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG...my standing rib roast turned out great! It was sooooo good and not at all hard to fix. We had potatoes with
it and fresh broccoli pan roasted in olive oil with dried cranberries. The salad was our usual xmas salad that consist
of fresh mixed greens, mandarin orange sections, pickled red onion, pomegranate seeds and candied walnuts. Soo good.
I think I ate more for dinner tonight then I did for Thanksgiving :lickout: !

How did yours turn out?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results