shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your go-to potluck dish?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
DH's boss is having a Christmas potluck at her house and so I am looking for ideas for something that's not only a crowd-pleaser, but either reheats well or can be eaten at room temperature (and, to be honest, conveys that we put at least some effort into making it). Have you any suggestions?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you talking main course, side, veggie??? I have a few recipes that are my "go-to's" that I'd be happy to share....

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, amc80!!

yennyfire said:
Are you talking main course, side, veggie??? I have a few recipes that are my "go-to's" that I'd be happy to share....

Side or veggie, please! Thanks!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not very fancy or anything, but this pasta salad (and any others, really) is so easy to make and it's good served at room temperature or even cold.

orzo pasta
cherry or grape tomatoes
feta cheese, crumbled (or boccachinni, fresh mozzarella balls)
baby spinach
black olives
Greek salad dressing
chicken (optional -- I often thrown rotisserie chicken in.)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'm a vegetarian and make a mean vegetarian Buffalo "Chik'n" dip. People can't even tell the difference! :Up_to_something:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an amazing recipe for crock pot macaroni and cheese...everyone loves it and its very easy to make..if you would like it let me know and I can post it on here.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole: can easily be doubled

3 cans french green beans, drained and rinsed
2C artichoke hearts, quartered, rinsed and drained
1/2C parmesan cheese (I use the artisanal parm, not Kraft)
1C seasoned bread crumbs
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, minced (I use jarred)
1/4C olive oil (I use less)
1/4 C veg oil (I use less)

Mix all ingredients in a 9x13 and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Reheats very well.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
diamondrnglover|1354664564|3322644 said:
I have an amazing recipe for crock pot macaroni and cheese...everyone loves it and its very easy to make..if you would like it let me know and I can post it on here.

I'd love it!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
When I first moved from Los Angeles to the midwest, the first thing I missed was this Hearts of Palm, Tomato Salad from the deli case at Bristol Farms in Beverly Hills. Thanks to google, I found the recipe and it is now my go to side dish. I use the Hearts of Palm in the jar from Trader Joe's. They have the best texture of all the brands I've tried.

Cherry Tomato and Hearts of Palm Salad
serves 6

3 cups cherry tomatoes
1 15 oz. can hearts of palm, drained and sliced in 1/4 inch rings
1/4 cup thinly sliced or shaved red onion
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 T red vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine tomatoes, hearts of palm, red onion and parsley in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Pour vinaigrette over tomato mixture and gently mix. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1354663226|3322613 said:
I'm a vegetarian and make a mean vegetarian Buffalo "Chik'n" dip. People can't even tell the difference! :Up_to_something:

I want that recipe.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
diamondrnglover|1354664564|3322644 said:

Yes, please post.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I used to make this cheese ball to serve with crackers. It is soooooo good, but does contain MSG.

2 pkgs. Carl Buddig beef
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion (I use dried onion in the spice section)
2 tbsp. Accent (the MSG)
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Soften the cream cheese. Shred or finely chop meat in a blender - set aside second package of chopped beef. Mix all ingredients together and roll into a ball (you may need to re-chill awhile to be able to handle it). You may put all the meat into the ball or set aside some to roll the cheese ball in.

Chill overnight.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Double Post

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Triple Post

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
"

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
"

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
"

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to Whole Foods or Central Market and get the mac & cheese.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry been MIA for awhile, but here is the recipe for Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese..it is so easy and yummy!

7 ounces of macaroni (i use shells)
1 can evaporated milk (normal size can)
1 stick of butter, melted (I use real butter)
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cheddar hheese, grated (I use sharp Cheddar)

Cook macaroni as usual, salting water.
When done, rinse in cold water
Mix together milk, butter, eggs, 2 cups of cheese, saving 1 cup for topping (i am lazy and mix it all in lol)
Fold in macaroni
Put all in crock pot
Put the 1 cup on cheese on top
Put on low for 2 hours

It comes out yummy, cheesy goodness, enjoy

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
My go-to easy peasy delicious side dish that needs no prep after I bring it to a social event is cold spinach dip served in a round pumpernickel loaf of bread. You can make it using the recipe on the back of a vegetable dip spice pack by Knorr. I think it's found in the soup mix/spice aisle at the grocery store. The recipe calls for frozen spinach, but I cut up fresh spinach for the dip. It suggests using Hellman's mayonnaise and I highly recommend that brand or using generic real mayonnaise and not Miracle Whip or a fake mayo. Blech :knockout: I also add everything that the recipe says is optional. After you make the dip it needs to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. Carve out the top/middle of the round loaf like a bowl, and cut the excess in to finger food size chunks, spoon your dip in the hole of the loaf and serve it with the chunks of bread. You can also serve with veggies if your plate is big enough. Not very healthy, but it's a favorite in my circles!

Edited to add that I wait until just before I'm going to serve the dip to scoop the dip into the bread bowl. Like just before I get in the car with the dip to go somewhere. And I carry it all in a disposable dish so I don't have to worry about getting it back.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Spankopita.

cheers--Sharon

iLander

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1354836420|3324876 said:
HI:

Spankopita.

cheers--Sharon

What the heck is that? :confused: People are just making up words now . . . :nono:

I tease. :bigsmile:

But seriously, spanking pitas? What is it?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have an extremely complicated recipe. It has broken many great chefs, and it is spoken of only in whispers.

But I will pass it on to you . . . :ugeek:

1. Go to Costco

2. Buy 2 lb bag of peeled, cooked and deveined shrimp for under $20.

3. Take home -- and here's where it gets tricky -- defrost it.

4. Hit self in head for not picking up cocktail sauce on the way home.

5. Get in car and go buy cocktail sauce.

6. Final touch; arrange on platter.

Whew! Just thinking about it wears me out!

:D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1354837586|3324895 said:
HI:

Spankopita.

cheers--Sharon

What the heck is that? :confused: People are just making up words now . . . :nono:

Yes! Exactly! It is the result of not getting cocktail sauce--instead of hitting yourself on the head, you spank a pita.

Works every time! :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1354838170|3324906 said:
iLander|1354837586|3324895 said:
HI:

Spankopita.

cheers--Sharon

An unfortunate typo on the behalf of canuk-gal lol. It's spanakopita, and you've probably eaten it (or at least seen it) before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanakopita

Thank SJ. But I really meant the spank thing. :bigsmile: ;)) Or is it Spankx? :saint:

cheers--Shaorn

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results