shape
carat
color
clarity

What no photos? Wink at Hot Yoga today

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My good kayaking buddiette, Dawn has been after me for at least three years to go to a Hot Yoga class with her. I finally agreed.

I mean, I am a former Marine, and I work out at least three days a week, in spite of, or maybe even because of, being overweight. Hey, I have to work to stay just overweight instead of mountainesque. I have done such things as referee soccer for 15 years, ski, hike, hunt, fish, swim, kayak. Just about anything to stay in shape.

How hard could it be? Stand around in a hot room, sweat a little, enjoy the company of a good friend and stretch some of those muscles that have tightened up over the past few years.

HOLY CRUNCHBERRIES! IT AIN'T AS EASY AS IT LOOKS!

It was a one hour session, but the end of 48 minutes I was exhausted. My arms and legs were both shaking like leaves. I had consumed three 8 ounce glasses of water in the morning, and drank a 24 oz bottle of water during the session. You do not want to talk about that much sweat in polite company, but let's just say I was REAL GLAD Dawn told me to be sure to bring a change of dry clothes.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough, hard, and embarrassing at times when I could not stand like a statue on one leg while doing impossible contortions with the other leg and arms. Rest assured, my face did NOT lay flat on my shins like some of the others were doing, but I do not think I have ever enjoyed such a hard work out so much before.

I will be going back again and again. I loved standing on one foot with my hands as close to my ankle as I could get it while the other leg was out and up behind me. Feeling the tiny balance muscles firing and releasing as I stayed on that foot for maybe ten seconds or so before falling sideways and needing to bring my other foot back into my world was really amazing. By the time we got to the cool down, even the cool down exercises were beyond me, but that is the fun of going back.

I WILL SUCCEED!

But first, a nap...

Wink

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you enjoyed it so much! I am not a yoga person, let alone a hot yoga person. Sweating literally makes me want to die to make it stop. I am that idiot that falls over from a pose failure and ends up laughing and gets asked to leave because she's ruining the class. But I am definitely sad there are no pics or videos.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty impressive!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like my first yoga class! :lol:

Can you still make it up stairs in your own home? I couldn't...
(What kind of evil person schedules yoga for TWO hours once per week?!?)

Seriously though, keep it up! Yoga is great at moving all those things you thought you'd already been working.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you Wink! I've taken a number of yoga classes (mostly anusara or mixes of different kinds) but I don't think I could do a hot yoga class, I can't handle heat and humidity! I hope you stick with it, yoga I think has many rewards. I've never progressed past beginnner-intermediate in my skills but even that has really helped me.

We will just have to picture it in our mind.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You go, Wink!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
part gypsy|1424827646|3837735 said:
Good for you Wink! I've taken a number of yoga classes (mostly anusara or mixes of different kinds) but I don't think I could do a hot yoga class, I can't handle heat and humidity! I hope you stick with it, yoga I think has many rewards. I've never progressed past beginnner-intermediate in my skills but even that has really helped me.

We will just have to picture it in our mind.

Trust me, picturing in your mind will be much nicer than seeing it in real life.

I was fascinated with the quiet calmness in the room. Even ten minutes before the class started, it was like being in a church. No one spoke but the instructor and most were at peace in their own little world while doing the moves. When I commented on this to Dawn, she said that after a year she too came to enjoy the "solitude in a crowded room" aspect of yoga and often remembers nothing of the session other than the deep peaceful feeling that she leaves with.

I am a deeply spiritual person so I picked up on that quickly and was as respectfully quiet as I could be. Those who know me well, know that I am rarely quiet!

Wink

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good for you Wink! It's so important to do SOMETHING. I started Brazilian Jujitsu at 50 years of age but had to quit after I broke my leg and ankle BUT I still go to the gym 2-3 days per week. I feel better than ever. Keep up the good work! Jeff

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1424889442|3838079 said:
Good for you Wink! The big question is how sore are you today???

I found a few minor twinges during my workout yesterday morning. Honestly, I had expected to be more sore.

These were those, "feel good" twinges that remind you that you worked hard and deserve to be reminded, but without being so strong that you wish you had not done it.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Modified Brilliant|1424921180|3838347 said:
Good for you Wink! It's so important to do SOMETHING. I started Brazilian Jujitsu at 50 years of age but had to quit after I broke my leg and ankle BUT I still go to the gym 2-3 days per week. I feel better than ever. Keep up the good work! Jeff

I studied Jiujitsu with Carley Grace when I lived in Brasil in the very early 70's. That was LONG before they became known in the States, but they were already well known in Brasil. Outside the dojo, Carley was one of the kindest men I have ever known. His family was also very kind to me and I enjoyed knowing them.

Wink

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Good for you!

Just make sure you're well-hydrated BEFORE class, not just after. That will help keep the 'shaking leaves' away too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results