shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this year's Oscar nominations?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to make it easier, here's a link to the people/films that are nominated;

http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/nominee-winner

Best Picture

'Black Swan'
'The Fighter'
'Inception'
'The Kids Are All Right'
'The King’s Speech'
'127 Hours'
'The Social Network'
'Toy Story 3'
'True Grit'
'Winter’s Bone'

Best Director

Darren Aronofsky -- 'Black Swan'

David O. Russell --'The Fighter'

Tom Hooper --'The King's Speech'

David Fincher -- 'The Social Network'

Joel and Ethan Coen -- 'True Grit'

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best Actress

Annette Bening --'The Kids Are All Right'

Nicole Kidman -- 'Rabbit Hole'

Jennifer Lawrence --'Winter's Bone'

Natalie Portman -- 'Black Swan'

Michelle Williams -- 'Blue Valentine'

Best Actor

Javier Bardem -- 'Biutiful'

Jeff Bridges -- 'True Grit'

Jesse Eisenberg -- 'The Social Network'

Colin Firth -- 'The King's Speech'

James Franco -- '127 Hours'

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams -- 'The Fighter'

Helena Bonham Carter -- 'The King's Speech'

Melissa Leo -- 'The Fighter'

Hailee Steinfeld -- 'True Grit'

Jacki Weaver -- 'Animal Kingdom'

Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale -- 'The Fighter'

John Hawkes -- 'Winter's Bone'

Jeremy Renner -- 'The Town'

Mark Ruffalo -- 'The Kids Are All Right'

Geoffrey Rush -- 'The King's Speech'

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed Inception, but to be honest, it was just another summer block buster kind of movie for me. I didn't think there was much "substance" there per se, it kind of had an Ocean 11, action movie feel to it. And I think the Oscar nominations typically go to roles that pack more emotional punch. I think the plot of the movie was so intricate and took so much explaining that the characters weren't really developed. So I understand the nomination for Best Picture as it was an interesting idea, well executed, and a beautiful movie to enjoy. But I can understand the dearth of Actor nominations from the movies, I don't think any of the characters were particularly memorable.

I'm a little surprised "The Kids Are All Right" had so many nominations. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was under the impression that it was a situational comedy of sorts?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen many of the movies nominated but here are my thoughts:

I haven't seen "The Kids Are All Right" yet but I was surprised to see that it was nominated. I thought it was just supposed to be a light-hearted romantic (?) comedy.

I've never even heard of "Winter's Bone" or "127 Hours." I love it when movies are nominated before the general public gets to see them. :rolleyes:

"Toy Story" was nominated for best picture -- really? :confused: I don't get that one at all.

"The Social Network" doesn't seem like an Academy Award winning film. The Academy tends to like certain types of films, but I thought of this one as just a movie. Does that make sense?

I loved "The Fighter." I love Marc Wahlberg and Amy Adams, and I thought Christian Bale did a great job too.

I keep hearing how INTENSE "Black Swan" was. I'm curious about it but I think it will be too hard to watch.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had some time last night, so I kicked up my feet and watched King's Speech. Loved it and everyone's performance in it. Was fun to see so many familiar faces from one of my fave Colin Firth movies, Pride and Prejudice (the actors who play Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Collins are in the King's Speech). Colin Firth was fabulous in this movie.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I think having 10 films for the best film category is just ridiculous. Why not just nominate all the movies.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think The King's Speech nominations are deserved. I saw that movie a few weekends ago and loved it. The Social Network was good, but doesn't scream "Oscar" to me.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the Black Swan?
I'm sorry but I really don't feel that movie deserves a nomination.

I also don't understand all the hype around Natalie's performance. I actually like her as an actress and think she is gorgeous.
However her performance in Black Swan was just average - the movie itself was just average.
She basically had 2 looks throughout the movie the whole time. Her constipated look and psycho look.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
"127 Hours" IS a good movie and an even better true story. However, not sure it is the BEST film of the year. "Toy Story 3" seemed strange to be nominated. "The Fighter" was also a very good movie but again, not sure it was the BEST. Haven't seen any of the other ones.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, 127 Hours was released to the general public (at least in my state it was--virginia)....but I know Winter's Bone wasn't released here (or at least in the two-three cities near me)

I liked Black Swan and loved Natalie in it....I don't see the hype around the movie though and was happy to see Mila Kunis not get a nomination for the film as she wasn't that noticable in the film really.

I also saw Inception and enjoyed it also---but I know it's not going to win the big award--and I don't think it really deserves to win either even though I liked it a lot.

I'm planning on seeing The King's Speech this weekend or next--I have a feeling I'll enjoy it a lot.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
I had some time last night, so I kicked up my feet and watched King's Speech. Loved it and everyone's performance in it. Was fun to see so many familiar faces from one of my fave Colin Firth movies, Pride and Prejudice (the actors who play Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Collins are in the King's Speech). Colin Firth was fabulous in this movie.

I absolutely loved "The King's Speech." Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Helena Bonham Carter were wonderful. I liked seeing Jennifer Ehle too. I'm glad the movie got so many nominations.

I also saw "The Fighter" and really liked it but I'm kinda over the sports themed movies after "The Wrestler" and "Million Dollar Baby."

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My votes:

Best Picture
Black Swan/Inception

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky

Best Actor
James Franco

Best Actress
Natalie Portman

I think The Social Network was a good movie, but not Oscar worthy. Then again Mark Zuckerberg is a very wealthy man, and why not just give his life's story an Oscar nod?

After seeing a plethora of Natalie Portman movies lately (Closer, No Strings Attached, V for Vendetta, Black Swan and Garden State) I think she did a fantastic job in the movie. I think Mila did amazingly as well.

As for Inception...I'm still not 100% sure what happened in that movie, but I don't feel like it was really a summer blockbuster, and the only real comparison to a typical blockbuster was the amount of special effects that went into it. I think that Joseph Gordon-Levitt really stood out to me in that one though.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We saw Kings Speech on Sunday. Oscar worthy for sure.. Haven't seen Black swan yet, that will be this weekend. I hear great things about The fighter, so need to see that too.

All in all, I bet Kings Speech wins the most...

Too many films.. I wish they would keep it to 5?? IDK, but 10 is too many.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Of these films, I've seen 3.

The Kids Are All Right
Toy Story 3
True Grit

I'm shocked "The Kids Are All Right" was nominated. It was a very awkward film - and then it just kind of end. Toy Story 3 was way better.

I'm confused how the little girl in "True Grit" was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. She had the main role.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Seen 9 of 10 already, and had tickets to the only one I missed but late start+traffic held me up so I have a rain check for it. I suspect sabotage by my date, who is *still* traumatized by "Requiem for a Dream"!

I'll call Best Score going to The Social Network right now, though. It'll be weird to see the dude who was suspended over candles in the end of the "Closer" video in a tux accepting an Academy Award! :lol:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1295996655|2832957 said:

Didn't know 'Elizabeth' was in the King's Speech. Who was it?

EDIT: Never mind, I looked it up. Still haven't seen the movie.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have seen all but two. while i enjoyed them it is Black Swan that i'm hoping receives the award as best picture. admittedly, i'm a big fan of the director.

MoZo

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1296021145|2833304 said:
Of these films, I've seen 3.

The Kids Are All Right
Toy Story 3
True Grit

I'm shocked "The Kids Are All Right" was nominated. It was a very awkward film - and then it just kind of end. Toy Story 3 was way better.

I'm confused how the little girl in "True Grit" was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. She had the main role.

Jeff Bridges' character is actually supposed to be the main focal. That was the ONE area where they failed just a tad. That being said I'm really glad to see True Grit in for so many, it was very well done. I loved it loved it loved it.

I haven't seen a ton of those movies. I do hope that Christian Bale take supporting actor for The Fighter.

The nominees for visuals should be interesting too. Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter competing.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

TGal-I LOVE that version (really it should be the only version) of Pride and Prejudice! Definitely one of my favorite movies (okay I guess it's technically a mini-series) of all time. I can't wait to see King's Speech-I hope I can catch it before it leaves the theaters!

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
my hubby and i both loved winter's bone. it was haunting and unforgettable. jennifer lawrence did an impeccable job of portraying the main character in the film. she plays a 17-year-old and while watching, i thought to myself, "damn, here's an outstanding performance." i really hope she gets it. mind you, realistically, i doubt that will happen.

on the flip side, i did like true grit but during the movie i had the opposite reaction to hailee steinfeld. i thought that her performance was stiff, stilted, and i felt the "acting" going on there. mind you, she was barely 14 when the film was made but still... an academy nod? eh, underimpressed.

i thought jeremy renner in the town did an awesome job. it was a solid movie and he was overwhelmingly believable in his role as a brutish thug type. he did an excellent job of being evil!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I saw Inception and Toy Story. Toy Story was nice but not that good, and I was very disappointed by Inception. I figured out two of the major twists halfway through the movie and I agree with MTG, it seemed very "blockbuster-ish" to me. I would very much like to see The King's Speech, but I'm not sure about Black Swan.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
diva rose|1296010579|2833161 said:
Have you seen the Black Swan?
I'm sorry but I really don't feel that movie deserves a nomination.

I also don't understand all the hype around Natalie's performance. I actually like her as an actress and think she is gorgeous.
However her performance in Black Swan was just average - the movie itself was just average.
She basically had 2 looks throughout the movie the whole time. Her constipated look and psycho look.

I didn't like Black Swan either, but maybe I just didn't "get" it. I actually thought Natalie Portman was good in the role (her character was uptight and nuts, so constipated and psycho worked!), I just thought the movie was boring. Everyone else in the theater was laughing pretty much throughout...

I loved the King's Speech!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Hailee Stienfield and jesse esenberg gave award winning performances in true grit and the social network.and im glad that toy story 3 got the recognition it deserved with a best picture nomination.The sound track from Social network is so good.I want to see the fighter.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I loved Winters Bone, felt it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I really did not like Inception and was very let down after all the hype, I watched it twice (well 1.5 times, I couldn't take it anymore) because my nephew said I must not have got it, he thought it was the best movie ever, so I had to give it another try, it did not get any better. I enjoyed True grit but did not think it was Oscar worthy, very disappointed in the soundtrack, I was soooo excited after seeing the trailer, it featured a awesome Jonny Cash rendition and I loved the Coen bro O Brother where art thou? soundtrack so much I wore one out but this movies soundtrack was lackluster,
very disappointing ;(
I have not seen any of the others but have heard great things about the Kings speech and hope to see it soon.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1296084815|2834083 said:

TGal-I LOVE that version (really it should be the only version) of Pride and Prejudice! Definitely one of my favorite movies (okay I guess it's technically a mini-series) of all time. I can't wait to see King's Speech-I hope I can catch it before it leaves the theaters!

Thing2, I totally agree...I actually turned off the Kiera Knightly version 1/4 the way in.

I forgot that it's in theaters now...I'm lucky in that my friend works for an agency and he lends me those "for your consideration" copies. It was nice to catch up on some of these films in the comfort of home. I watched both Social Network and King's Speech at home over the course of a few days.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
***bump*** (and spoilers below if you DVR'ed the Oscars)

Now that all the winners have been announced, what do you think?

I thought The King's Speech was a wonderful film, and I am not all all surprised. I also wasn't surprised to see Inception winning a lot of the visual awards. It was a stunning film.

I would have liked to see Winter's Bone win something, but it won at Sundance, so I'm cool with it not winning on the big stage. I am also glad Melissa Leo and Christian Bale won for The Fighter. That movie was fantastic and they were both amazing in it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results