shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you making for Thanksgiving?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad is hosting this year, and it's potluck style for about 13 guests. I am making a vegetable platter shaped like a turkey, green goddess dip and smoked salmon dip. DH is making a delicious eggplant parmigiana side dish.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
We are going to friends. I'm taking collards & bacon au gratin and, drool, my grandmother's French Silk pie -- a chocolate pie with whipped cream & nuts on top, divine! :cheeky:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No family this year, but I'll be cooking all the same stuff for my small family: a 17 pound turkey, traditional stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and dinner rolls. I bought dessert this year (as opposed to making it myself) and we've got plenty of champagne chilling in the wine refrigerator =)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Moms hosting this year...I'll be fixing green beans, sweet potatoes, ham, and Mac and cheese.
I'll do most of the cooking on Wednesday then just heat up on Thursday.
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I totally crazy? Last year, because of a lot of tough stuff going on, I bailed on having Tgiving with a big crowd. I had decided that we would dispense with it altogether and go out and see movies, but my son was stunned and insisted we have a proper Thanksgiving dinner so we did (just the two of us) and it was fabulous! So liberating and good in fact that this year, we declined invites and are doing it again, hee hee hee!

So on the menu: boneless turkey breast (yeah, cheating a bit there), cornbread and leek stuffing, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts and glazed onions, squash, roasted vegies, gravy and cranberry sauce. For dessert, we have a ton of apples still left from our tree that have got to be used, so an apple pie! Shopping is all done and all I have to do is start cooking - tomorrow. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1385509840|3563475 said:
Am I totally crazy? Last year, because of a lot of tough stuff going on, I bailed on having Tgiving with a big crowd. I had decided that we would dispense with it altogether and go out and see movies, but my son was stunned and insisted we have a proper Thanksgiving dinner so we did (just the two of us) and it was fabulous! So liberating and good in fact that this year, we declined invites and are doing it again, hee hee hee!

So on the menu: boneless turkey breast (yeah, cheating a bit there), cornbread and leek stuffing, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts and glazed onions, squash, roasted vegies, gravy and cranberry sauce. For dessert, we have a ton of apples still left from our tree that have got to be used, so an apple pie! Shopping is all done and all I have to do is start cooking - tomorrow. :bigsmile:

Sounds wonderful minou and no you are definitely not crazy. I prefer small get togethers and think of all the leftovers you will get to enjoy. :cheeky:

We always host Thanksgiving and my dh does all the cooking though my sister might make a dessert and my mom might bring a side dish. He is cooking all day tomorrow and in the AM on Thursday. On the menu- a big fat turkey (which I don't eat but it's the only part of the dinner I won't), sweet potato pie, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, grilled veggies, stuffing (my favorite part of the dinner), green beans, salad (that's my contribution) and then ofc apple pie (woohoo!), pumpkin cheesecake and maybe if my dh has time frozen peanut butter chocolate squares (for me because I love pb) with graham cracker crust just like the crust the pumpkin cheesecake will have.

My mom is doing Hanukkah on Saturday so I am sure we will be enjoying potato latkes and applesauce then. Not a great week for the waistline lol but it's worth it. :lickout:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1385505214|3563423 said:
No family this year, but I'll be cooking all the same stuff for my small family: a 17 pound turkey, traditional stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and dinner rolls. I bought dessert this year (as opposed to making it myself) and we've got plenty of champagne chilling in the wine refrigerator =)

Oh, yum, maybe I should get a bottle of champagne!

I bought a small turkey for the four of us and I'm making that, mashed potatoes, gravy, a pumpkin pie, salad, quinoa, and beverages (sparkling cider for the boys & beer for us). This year I'm going to try making a diary-free pumpkin pie...it is an experiment & I bought an extra pie crust in case it doesn't taste good.

We planned to stay home, but DH decided that we'd go if it is hosted by someone else, so we'll go (and we're bringing side dishes & beer to that - must have beer!), but I'm still cooking our own food for eating on Friday...then we'll hopefully go see Catching Fire again or go to that on Saturday.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1385509840|3563475 said:

Sounds like the ideal Thanksgiving! That would be my ideal holiday every year...just an imitate group/close family and then go seeing movies. We did that last year and I loved it. This year, we're joining the bigger group again and my kids actually complained about it (they like mellow version better).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE!! Oh, drooool! Never heard of it -- sounds sublime!

--- Laurie

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We toyed with doing some kind of "Thanksgiveakkah", but decided to do Thanksgiving on Thursday at my sister's (I'll be baking 2 pies and making a greenbean/artichoke casserole) and Hanukkah on Saturdsy at my Mom's (I'll be making brisket for 16). We decided it was too much to do in one day. That said, we also have a friend's Hanukkah party on Friday that I'll be bringing an appetizer and dessert to....my waistline may not survive the week!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1385512573|3563503 said:

--- Laurie

I'll take a picture of it after he makes it and if you are interested I'd be happy to post the recipe too. It really is TDF. It is very labor intensive that's the only downside. But fortunately for me my dh enjoys baking and cooking but I have to work at keeping in shape while eating all his yummy creations. :bigsmile:

Your french silk pie sounds pretty yummy too. :lickout:
I regret I only have one life to live to taste all the amazing desserts out there. :mrgreen:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1385513115|3563510 said:

--- Laurie

I'll take a picture of it after he makes it and if you are interested I'd be happy to post the recipe too. It really is TDF. It is very labor intensive that's the only downside. But fortunately for me my dh enjoys baking and cooking but I have to work at keeping in shape while eating all his yummy creations. :bigsmile:

I regret I only have one life to live to taste all the amazing desserts out there. :mrgreen:

Sounds yummy, Missy. Last year, I made a pumpkin pie w/cream cheese, so not exactly as delicious as pumpkin cheese cake, but it was a bit easier to make :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1385513276|3563512 said:
missy|1385513115|3563510 said:

--- Laurie

Sounds yummy, Missy. Last year, I made a pumpkin pie w/cream cheese, so not exactly as delicious as pumpkin cheese cake, but it was a bit easier to make :)

MC I never heard of pumpkin pie with cream cheese-that sounds pretty good too actually. Who doesn't love cream cheese? :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am making chocolate chip cheesecake.

Ximena

Rough_Rock
We are going to my parent's house this year; I've already made a whole heap of Coconut Macaroon dough to be baked/dipped in dark chocolate tomorrow and also bringing a small Maple-Spiral Ham.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1385513099|3563509 said:
We toyed with doing some kind of "Thanksgiveakkah", but decided to do Thanksgiving on Thursday at my sister's (I'll be baking 2 pies and making a greenbean/artichoke casserole) and Hanukkah on Saturdsy at my Mom's (I'll be making brisket for 16). We decided it was too much to do in one day. That said, we also have a friend's Hanukkah party on Friday that I'll be bringing an appetizer and dessert to....my waistline may not survive the week!!

LOVE THIS - Utterly and completely! :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was going to be the year that my mom and I were going to cook together so she could teach me how. I've never cooked a turkey or any big meal actually, but I feel like I should learn. Anyway, my mom ended up ordering most of the food from a local shop, so there goes my cooking lesson. Since my mom took care of ordering pretty much everything already, I'm not sure what to bring. I was thinking of berries and whipped cream (for an angel cake she's making), and a salad.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I love pumpkin cheesecake! I made it last year, but am mixing it up a bit this year. On Thursday DBF and I are hosting his family and his sister's BF for lunch here. We may or may not have another Thanksgiving meal when we visit my parents this weekend, we shall see.

FMIL is making the turkey, I am making cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked cauliflower with lemon, garlic, and parmesan, and for dessert we'll have pumpkin crème brûlée and snickerdoodles! Looking at the list again though I think I may still also make some good old fashioned green bean casserole :))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reservations.... :Up_to_something:

It's little tight this year and right now no dinning room table. We are livingin a rental... and just decided we would rather eat out... not sure how we will tackle Christmas.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK reading what everyone is having (cornbread omg I love that) is making me hungry. :lickout:
Here's a few pics of the pumpkin cheesecake...my dh has been cooking and baking most of the day and I came home to a beautiful sight and for once I am not talking jewelry haha. One of the few times I am not salivating due to jewels. :cheeky:

pumpkincheesecake.jpg

pumpkincheesecakebydh2013thanksgivingeve.jpg

closeupofpumpkincheesecake.jpg

pumpkinhangingoutwithapple.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few pics of the veggies that he is currently working on...
Marcy, I'd love to see a pic of that chocolate chip cheesecake...sounds delicious!

freshcornandbeans.jpeg

veggiecookinginprogress2.jpg

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm, that cheesecake looks delish, missy! Seeing it makes me want a slice right now.

So many good dishes mentioned in this thread. Small family get together rather than big gathering, and reservations, sound like good plans, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pumpkin soup and bourbon ginger cider cocktails.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
free range local farmed turkey
bread stuffing with cherries and apples and pecans
squash soup
twice cooked beets in wine sauce
chocolate walnut torte
potatoes baked under the turkey
cranberry sauce

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am expected to bring green bean casserole to all gatherings involving my family. Since this is the first Thanksgiving we're attending for my family in over a decade, obviously I am bringing that. My MIL and I made two pumpkin pies today, and only one was cut into, so the other will come with me tomorrow to my aunt's. I will finish the last of it because my MIL can freakin' bake and I am not sharing. At my inlaws normally DH and I just help make things, my MIL does most of it.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
missy omg your hubby rocked that cheesecake!!!! It looks so perfect on top, no cracks. I have made cheesecake quite a few times and even with a water bath underneath while the springform is wrapped in foil, I think it always cracks a little. You must get him to spill his secret.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes i wish australia did thanksgiving. It sounds delicious. I've only ever tasted pumpkin flavoured pumpkin. If i visited the US during autumn I'd be eating pumpkin flavoured everything!

Post more pics!

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Thank goodness I'm only reading this thread after we ate!

Cuban style roast pork loin (sour orange juice, oregano, garlic), sautéed red cabbage and green apples, black rice and beans, baked yams and green apples, '95 Dom Perignon, sparkling cider for the kids, vanilla ice cream with bananas foster, coconut pie, laughter, chaos, and naps. Oof!

A quick thanks to everyone here for your good cheer and generosity. I don't contribute often so I just to want to acknowledge what a wonderful place PS is, thanks to you all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results