shape
carat
color
clarity

What are we all reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What is everyone reading right now?

I am all out of new books, so I have been re-reading some old ones. I just finished 1984 and am now re-reading Brave New World.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya Tuckies

I have been reading Jane Fonda''s book My Life So Far, its been a good read.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I decided to re-read Watership Down since I got a real bunny of my own a few months ago
9.gif
I''m trying to get FI to read it next. I''m almost done though and not sure what I should read next ... I''m going on vacation soon so my next one needs to be a good vacation read.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Foucault''s Pendulum and the Bhagavad Gita. I''m going to read Birthing from Within again soon.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Through the Looking Glass Darkly... forget the author''s name. It''s pretty good so far.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''m reading Gone Tomorrow, the new one by Lee Child. I''m also reading an older Lawrence Block book. I''m about to go pick up Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child at the library.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new Karin Slaughter book. I think it''s titled Undone. Wait, wait! I just checked Amazon and it looks like it''s out. I''ll be downloading that shortly.

After all the talk about The Time Traveler''s Wife in the thread the other day, I think I''m going to re-read it when I''m on vacation at the end of August. I''m going to hit the used book store in a few days and stock up on my beach reading. Who knows what I''ll come home with.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:04:29 PM
Author: waxing lyrical
Foucault's Pendulum and the Bhagavad Gita. I'm going to read Birthing from Within again soon.
Funny, I'm re-reading The Name of the Rose.

I have Foucault's Pendulum but my husband didn't love it (and he loves Umberto Eco) so I haven't touched it yet. How do you like it?

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
the Man Booker prize longlist was announced yesterday, so I plan on reading one of those titles soon.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedies and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger.

Middlesex is great, I'm really enjoying it.

The Time Traveler's Wife is not so great, it's actually pretty darn contrived, but I LOVE Eric Bana, so I want to read the book before I see the movie.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:22:42 PM
Author: elle_chris

Foucault''s Pendulum and the Bhagavad Gita. I''m going to read Birthing from Within again soon.
Funny, I''m re-reading The Name of the Rose.

I have Foucault''s Pendulum but my husband didn''t love it (and he loves Umberto Eco) so I haven''t touched it yet. How do you like it?

I have The Name of the Rose. I still need to finish it. I actually read part of FP some years back. I''m reading it from the beginning since most of it escapes me. It''s interesting, but dense. I''m not sure if it''s a fun read. It''s one of those books where I can''t have any outside distraction so I end up reading it and night and then get sleepy.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''m reading book 4 of the Sookie Stackhouse "True Blood" series. I''ve been tearing through them ever since I started watching the HBO series, and enjoying the hell out of them-they''re my antidote to the Twilight novels. Also, a few other random things that I''ve downloaded on my Kindle of a more intellectual bent, like Christopher Hitchens and "The Wordy Shipmates" by Sarah Vowell, about the Puritans.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 3:57:14 PM
Author: elrohwen
I decided to re-read Watership Down since I got a real bunny of my own a few months ago
9.gif
I''m trying to get FI to read it next. I''m almost done though and not sure what I should read next ... I''m going on vacation soon so my next one needs to be a good vacation read.
Ah, my favorite book! I read it for the first time when I was 10 and re-read it about once every year or two.

Right now, I am re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished Julia and Julie and it was FANTASTIC! It was really really funny and I highly recommend it. I just picked up the Time Traveler''s Wife and I''m going to start it ASAP.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:47:06 PM
Author: Selkie
I''m reading book 4 of the Sookie Stackhouse ''True Blood'' series. I''ve been tearing through them ever since I started watching the HBO series, and enjoying the hell out of them-they''re my antidote to the Twilight novels. Also, a few other random things that I''ve downloaded on my Kindle of a more intellectual bent, like Christopher Hitchens and ''The Wordy Shipmates'' by Sarah Vowell, about the Puritans.

Selkie
How do the sookie books follow the show? I love the show and I want to start the series, but not if it means repeating the entire story line. I''d rather find where the show is in the book series and go from there. Is that possible?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:47:15 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I just finished Julia and Julie and it was FANTASTIC! It was really really funny and I highly recommend it. I just picked up the Time Traveler''s Wife and I''m going to start it ASAP.

The movie looks so good for Julia and Julie, I''ll have to read the book, too.
I love Julia Child, I was just watching her show on the PBS website last night.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven have you read JC''s memoir? I saw it at B&N last night and was tempted, but I went with TTW instead.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:51:23 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Selkie

How do the sookie books follow the show? I love the show and I want to start the series, but not if it means repeating the entire story line. I''d rather find where the show is in the book series and go from there. Is that possible?

Let''s see...Book 1 and Season 1 correspond fairly well plot-wise, but they greatly expanded and changed some characters for the show. For example, Tara doesn''t even show up until book 2 or 3, is a relatively minor character, and is not Lafayette''s cousin. Season 2 seems to be based on book 2, but deviating even more from the book plot. I actually really like most of the changes HBO made, so other than getting a bit confused from time to time about plot points, I''m enjoying reading them at the same time as watching.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

I read the Gita for my World Religions class. I would definitely give it another read.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been reading the third book in the Twilight series ("Eclipse?"). The first two were really good but I can't get into this one. I've been working on it for over a month now and although I rarely read it these days, I can't bring myself to abandon it for another book. The books I have waiting on my night stand are "The Time Traveler's Wife" and "Vision in White" (this one is by Nora Roaberts). I want to read "The Geometry of Sisters" at some point too.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay cool. Thanks!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m currently on a Peter Straub kick - he''s such a subtle author! I''m picking up on these little meta things from 5 books back that he''s interweaving into his new stuff, and loving it.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My DD made me read Flatland by Edwin Abbot. She had to read it for her geometry class last year and told me that I might find it interesting. It certainly isn''t one of those books you can just breeze through. Pretty interesting though!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Just finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point and Blink). Fascinating and thought-provoking read; had trouble putting it down to go to sleep, and many of the concepts stayed with me long after putting it down.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m reading Stealing Athena by Karen Essex, its somewhat about the Elgin Marbles.

I''m also reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, which is about both the Salem witches and a modern day history grad student. Pretty good so far.

Oh, and I loved Julie and Julia, too!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 5:32:34 PM
Author: Amandine

I''m also reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, which is about both the Salem witches and a modern day history grad student. Pretty good so far.
That sounds really interesting, I''ll have to check it out. There are so many different takes on what really happened in Salem.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently reading How We Die which has been fascinating. I''m slowly trudging through the bible but am ready to give up. I''m also reading Lord of the Flies.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I love that everyone has a current reading project... I ALWAYS have a book to read. It blows my mind when people tell me that they hate to read!
6.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I am reading The Tent by Margaret Atwood. I love, love, love her. All her books are wonderful.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been reading Kurt Vonnegut books. . .started with Cat''s Cradle, then Slaughterhouse Five, and now, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater.

His writing is totally different from my normal genre. . .mostly books by and for women were the gals suffer from the usual family problems and ponder life. Seems like they all began sounding the same after a while.

I''ll plan to read a few more Vonnegut books and then try A Clockwork Orange, which I bought a few months back but have procratinated reading it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 4:37:58 PM
Author: Haven

The Time Traveler''s Wife is not so great, it''s actually pretty darn contrived, but I LOVE Eric Bana, so I want to read the book before I see the movie.
I had mentioned this in another thread, but I absolutely couldn''t stand The Time Traveler''s Wife. I found that the two characters sounded so similar, I''d often become confused who was explaining each chapter. It has fabulous reviews on Amazon, so I made it a point to give it an negative review to try and balance it out a bit. lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results