shape
carat
color
clarity

what are the "must have items" when you was in high school?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
here''s a little flashback to the late 80''s -note the MTV (back when they actually played videos)

highschool.jpg

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 10:30:22 AM
Author: LAJennifer
Did anybody have the Trapper Keeper?
YES!!!!!
36.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 2:14:27 AM
Author: matildawong
When I was in middle school the big brand was Esprit. We''d drive up to San Francisco to go to the big warehouse store. Oh and Benetton and the perfume, Colors, from Benetton.

Also fluorescent-colored (green, pink, yellow, orange) ankle socks and those funny little plastic coil bracelets in bright colors. Or else tons of those black jelly bracelets.

Remember those sweaters that were big in the ''80s, like with a lot of little white sheep (or scottie dogs) and then one black one? I saw a new t-shirt in that style at Nordstrom''s Rack the other day and nearly died.
Ooh I used to go to the Esprit outlet ALL the time in High School. You''re definitely an 80s kid like I was! In Junior High I had flourescent ankle socks and sweatshirts.

Guess Jeans and mainly everyone had to have a Guess Jean Jacket or else!
Anyone remember Coca-Cola clothing?? I had long shirts etc made by them. Real polo type shirts not t-shirts.
Drakkar Noir, men''s cologne of choice!
Gunne Sax dresses (for prom!).
Definitely pegged pants.
Cut-off leggings under shorts with converse (skater girl here).
Bomber jackets, german style leather.
Then flight jackets out, black with orange lining.
Doc Martens became popular after highschool for me and I wore them for many years with dresses well into the 90s!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I was in high school 77-81.These were the things that were popular items for both guys and girls...

1- 501s,calvin klein,jordash,jeans were huge on the list
2-gold chains were a must have
3-Turquiose rings or chokers
4-polo shirts in every color
5-baseball shirts
6-gauze shirts from India
7 -Adida tennis shoes
8-frye boots
9-MTV
10-skinny ties for guys
11-angel flight suits for the guys and gunny sac dresses for the girls for prom
12 satuday night fever album in 77-78

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mom, I graduated high school in 1983.

Totally remember Frye boots!

Friendship necklaces where you wore one half and your friend wore the other...

string bracelets

Neon and day glow and those gross Jelly shoes...

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
My big must have in HS was a "walkman" .... and I loved listening to Casey Kasem count ''em down while laying out in the sun with "sun-in".. ha ha (wish I would of used sunscreen now!)

Also, my tight pinstriped jeans were a must have too
2.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
A robust self-esteem (easier said then done) and retro red lipstick (an unusual and standout trademark-I dug vintage clothes too).
1.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
LOL Wishful!

Here's a picture of me, probably taken around '84 or '85 if I had to guess.
As you can see, my style consisted mostly of a fudge popsicle face and hair that could double for a bird's nest (My mom took this pic because I was so dirty...I was a very clean kid!). I liked to kick back on our patterned couch.

babyme.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Lucky~ Did that couch have a barn and floral print??

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 11:35:24 PM
Author: somethingshiny
LOL! I think it did!
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
LOL--here's my 80s shot...right around'85-'86. What can I say, I've always been a ham...
3.gif

Apparently Osh Kosh overalls were my height of fashion.

ETA: sorry for the big pic!

n48100850_30010413_3754.jpg

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
lol ladypirate. Do you think people are feeling old yet?

It freaks me out that kids born in 1990 are 18 already!!!!!
And Miley Cyrus...I don''t think she was even alive when her dad came out with "achy breaky heart". I could be wrong though!

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
Hee! Violet02 and Starset sounds like we are indeed around the same age.

I just remembered (and of course everyone''s going to die if I don''t just post this right this minute now that I mentioned it) another one: Swatch clothing. I was mad for the Swatch rugby shirts. I still do have a thing for Swatch watches.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, I so wanted a Camaro. It was my dream car. Now I am glad I don''t have one...but I did drive a special edition Firebird (or was it a Trans Am)? 400 horsepower engine, rear wheel drive, a built in tachometer on the hood with electric seat and electric drivers side window. There was only 50 of them built. I wish I would have kept that car. But I feltl that way about my 300ZX too. I wanted to be buried in it.

In high school, the must have was Farrah Fawcett hair.
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2008 1:42:53 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Oh man, I so wanted a Camaro. It was my dream car. Now I am glad I don''t have one...but I did drive a special edition Firebird (or was it a Trans Am)? 400 horsepower engine, rear wheel drive, a built in tachometer on the hood with electric seat and electric drivers side window. There was only 50 of them built. I wish I would have kept that car. But I feltl that way about my 300ZX too. I wanted to be buried in it.

31.gif
what yr was your Trans Am?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I was in high school from 1999 until 2003, I feel like a baby when I''m here . . .

Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, and American Eagle were the clothing brands of choice. I''ve NEVER purchased anything from Abercrombie, I don''t like the company, it''s a personal thing. Ditto for Hollister because it''s an Abercrombie company. I did do a little bit of American Eagle, but not a whole lot. Lots of pseudo preppy, and I wasn''t into that.

Seven Jeans

Clarks Wallabees

Birkenstock Boston Clogs

Oakley Sunglasses

Coach purses for the girls.

Cell phones were the rage. They really started taking off when I was a junior. Even though, only the more well off kids had one.

The infamous iPod. I still have the first one my parents gave me.

L.L. Bean or North Face Book Bags - I had L.L. Bean bags, but some people thought it was trendy to go get back backs made for HIKERS to carry to school. Brilliant.

Cars - That really varied. Lot''s of luxury cars and SUVs. I got a Toyota 4Runner.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Back in the day....when I was in highschool, you were considered cool if your dad had fire. Most of us lived in caves. Oh, and wooly mammoth hightops were in.
31.gif
If you didn''t have scraped knuckles, that was soooo hot.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
On a more serious note:

Jassica McClintock
Laura Ashley dresses
Bass suede shoes
Gucci / LV purses
Elsa Peretti DBTY
Joan & David shoes
Tretorn sneakers
Andrew Marc leather jackets (why?)
The Gap was popular then, too

Gosh, you guys are making me go down memory lane!

And my poor parents! They had to shell out for all that stuff!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 12:22:07 PM
Author: ladypirate
LOL--here''s my 80s shot...right around''85-''86. What can I say, I''ve always been a ham...
3.gif

Apparently Osh Kosh overalls were my height of fashion.

ETA: sorry for the big pic!
This picture looks like a very young Drew Barrymore.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I must be around the same age as Musey. In our school in HS doc martens, abercrombie, and express were definitely in. People also were beginning to get cell phones. The "in" girls all had blond highlights a la rachael from friends and tan skin...too tan for the midwest.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 2:44:33 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

31.gif
I don''t remember, I want to say 69, that number is stuck in my head, and not for the reasons you think... I''m trying to remember when I got rid of it. I think it was in 1981 or so. Yup, it was a ''69. Special Edition. Only 50 made. I should Google it and see what I can find. I still remember it well. Dark Green, white vinyl or leather interior. Monster of a car. I loved that thing. If you floored the pedal, the back wheels would spin and then you would m.o.v.e. That car had some serious power.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 12:13:52 PM
Author: luckystar112
Date: 6/11/2008 11:35:24 PM

Author: somethingshiny

LOL! I think it did!
9.gif

Totally had the same sofa set. Totally!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
did anyone have an ankle bracelet with wings, and your names were engraved on the wings???

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2008 9:23:48 PM

31.gif
I don''t remember, I want to say 69, that number is stuck in my head, and not for the reasons you think... I''m trying to remember when I got rid of it. I think it was in 1981 or so. Yup, it was a ''69. Special Edition. Only 50 made. I should Google it and see what I can find. I still remember it well. Dark Green, white vinyl or leather interior. Monster of a car. I loved that thing. If you floored the pedal, the back wheels would spin and then you would m.o.v.e. That car had some serious power.
31.gif
an excellent yr for muscle cars. that would be the Ram Air IV engine option. Pontiac made 55 of these cars with that option (46) manual (9) autos.today, if you still own this car in its original condition (easily worth $250K !!)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 10:03:48 PM

Date: 6/13/2008 9:23:48 PM

Oh man, I so wanted a Camaro. It was my dream car. Now I am glad I don't have one...but I did drive a special edition Firebird (or was it a Trans Am)? 400 horsepower engine, rear wheel drive, a built in tachometer on the hood with electric seat and electric drivers side window. There was only 50 of them built. I wish I would have kept that car. But I feltl that way about my 300ZX too. I wanted to be buried in it.

31.gif
I don't remember, I want to say 69, that number is stuck in my head, and not for the reasons you think... I'm trying to remember when I got rid of it. I think it was in 1981 or so. Yup, it was a '69. Special Edition. Only 50 made. I should Google it and see what I can find. I still remember it well. Dark Green, white vinyl or leather interior. Monster of a car. I loved that thing. If you floored the pedal, the back wheels would spin and then you would m.o.v.e. That car had some serious power.
31.gif
an excellent yr for muscle cars. that would be the Ram Air IV engine option. Pontiac made 55 of these cars with that option (46) manual (9) autos.today, if you still own this car in its original condition (easily worth $250K !!)
6.gif
29.gif
6.gif
7.gif

Couldn't you have said 25K and made me feel okay with it? As I was googling yesterday I saw some 69's for up to 40K and my heart sunk, because I new they weren't as exclusive as my car had been. But I would have never imagined it would have been worth that much. That is more than my house cost.
39.gif
Next time I get anything that is only one of 55, I am keeping it!! Actually only 9 made, I think mine was an automatic....and it was one of the reasons why I didn't like it!! I only drive manual transmission. I can't stand automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results