shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some of your pet peeves?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
It''s Monday, I feel like b!0tching.....

-I had a houseguest that put their bare feet on MY coffee table this weekend, and I kind of lost it!

-Can''t stand the sight of dirty bra straps, If you''re going to wear something that shows your innerwear, make sure it looks clean and NICE.

-Why do people cackle and laugh so loudly that it resonates throughout the office, not all of hear the joke, we only hear the cackling.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't stand self-righteousness.

I don't mean that ironically, although the irony of making that statement isn't lost on me.
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 3:11:01 PM
Author:jaysonsmom

-I had a houseguest that put their bare feet on MY coffee table this weekend, and I kind of lost it!

-Can''t stand the sight of dirty bra straps, If you''re going to wear something that shows your innerwear, make sure it looks clean and NICE.

-Why do people cackle and laugh so loudly that it resonates throughout the office, not all of hear the joke, we only hear the cackling.
You realize not everybody can control the volume of their laughter, right? Some of us are just loud laughers. When something strikes me as really, really funny, I tend to let out a loud squak that sounds more like a duck/donkey hybrid being strangled than any sound a normal human being would make. Loud? Yes. Obnoxious? Probably. Can I help it? Not at all. Trust me, I spent years trying to reign it in, but it just won''t work. So take pity on the loud laughers - it can be really embarassing.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Hypocrits

Loud talkers

Rude people in public/Bad manners

My biggest pet peeve is probably mispronunciation. And people that say "mispronunciation" misproNOUNciation.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 3:23:30 PM
Author: April20
Hypocrits

Loud talkers

Rude people in public/Bad manners

My biggest pet peeve is probably mispronunciation. And people that say ''mispronunciation'' misproNOUNciation.
That irks me too! What about Length, width and heighTH?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 3:19:15 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 5/24/2010 3:11:01 PM
Author:jaysonsmom

You realize not everybody can control the volume of their laughter, right? Some of us are just loud laughers. When something strikes me as really, really funny, I tend to let out a loud squak that sounds more like a duck/donkey hybrid being strangled than any sound a normal human being would make. Loud? Yes. Obnoxious? Probably. Can I help it? Not at all. Trust me, I spent years trying to reign it in, but it just won''t work. So take pity on the loud laughers - it can be really embarassing.

Hahahahahha princess! You have me chuckling (quietly) at my desk!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, nothing like a good bitchfest!

I can't stand struggling to do something when my hands are full, such as unlocking a door.

Neighbors who do not close their windows when they have their TV or stereo up loud (they even have AC so they don't need open windows when it's hot).

People who let their dogs out without a leash in our residential neighborhood.

A dirty diamond.

People who stop in the middle of the store aisle with their carts so you can't get by. (Gee people, at least pull to the side when you park your cart.)

Stupid spelling, like the word aisle.
29.gif

Someone taking up two parking spots with their new or expensive car so nobody will ding their doors.

Smelling other people's stinky food in a movie theater, like jalapeno nachos.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 3:15:24 PM
Author: Haven
I don't mean that ironically, although the irony of making that statement isn't lost on me.
9.gif

Oh, I love this subject, and Haven I am NOT picking on you.
I believe everyone is self-righteous.
Everyone from Mother Theresa to Hitler felt they were doing the right thing.

The problem is they did not see it as THEIR version of what is right but rather THE ONLY version of what is right.
That makes the subject of "right" so fascinating to me.
Is it "out there" or "internal" of us?
If it is "out there" then there is only one version or right; if it is internal then there are almost 7-billion versions of what is right.

I think seeing ourselves as right is like oxygen to a part of ourselves.
Even if you feel it is right to not be self-righteous THAT is you being right.
We can't escape being right or righteous.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using "lay" when the proper word is "lie".

Losing the street space right outside the apt I like for "my" car.

Flying. I can''t believe that once upon a time I liked spending the day on a plane..

... Oh, a dozen more. I loathe Mondays, and I''m cranky.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hypocritical attitudes in general.

When my hair gets blown around and gets stuck in my lip gloss.

When people make the most inane comments like "working hard or hardly working?" and think it's the funniest thing EVAR. Just come in (or call) and conduct your business in a professional manner. This isn't cocktail hour.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 3:33:13 PM
Author: kenny
Date: 5/24/2010 3:15:24 PM
9.gif
Oh, I love this subject, and Haven I am NOT picking on you.
I believe everyone is self-righteous.
Everyone from Mother Theresa to Hitler felt they were doing the right thing.
The problem is they did not see it as THEIR version of what is right but rather THE right version of what is right.
That makes the subject of 'right' so fascinating to me.
Is it 'out there' or 'internal' of us?
If it is 'out there' then there is only one version or right; if it is internal then there are almost 7-billion versions of what is right.
I think seeing ourselves as right is like oxygen to a part of ourselves.
Even if you feel it is right to not be self-righteous THAT is you being right.
We can't escape being right or righteous.
Exactly. That's why it peeves me. There is no escape. And I absolutely realize that *I* am guilty of it, myself. Hence the irony of which I spoke above. (In general, I tend to think that the things that irk us in others are things we dislike about ourselves, anyway.)

Little things like grammar errors, bad neighbors, loud people out in public--those are avoidable, so they don't peeve me so much. It's the things that I can't truly rid myself of that are so bothersome.

ETA:

I really dislike aggressive and negligent drivers, as well. They scare me, and I don't appreciate others taking my safety for granted.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m feeling crabby today too so why not join in?

I hate when people preface a request for a favor or an invitation with a query about what you are doing at such and such time. Example: Instead of, "Can you pick me up at the airport Friday?" or "Want to go out for a drink Friday after work?," it''s "What are you doing Friday afternoon?" The presumption being if I don''t have concrete plans then there''s no reason for me to decline. With most people, I can say something like, "why, what''s up?" and then if it''s something I don''t want to do I''ll just tell them I can''t make it. But there are those PET PEEVE inducing PITAs that will insist!

"What are you doing tomorrow night?"
"Not sure yet, what''s up?"
"Well, do you already have plans?"
"Not sure yet, what''s up?"
"When will you know?"

"Um, when you tell me where this conversation is headed!"

And...this one is probably a pet peeve of many teachers. The student who doesn''t have the grade they were hoping for and now wants to know if they can do "extra credit" to bring their grade up. These come in two types. There''s the failing kid who hasn''t done much all year and now wants to do some kind of "project." I want them to have learned the math they need for next year; not write a paper on a mathematician or build a dodecahedron. Yes, sonny, you really need to learn how to factor and if you don''t, next year is gonna be worse than this year. I let them know that my policy is if they pass the final, they will pass the course, so instead of a project they need to work on the material they haven''t mastered but NEED TO KNOW. The kid will whine that he doesn''t understand that stuff! UM, then you SHOULD FAIL!

The other type is the grade grubby kid who didn''t feel like putting in A effort all semester but now still feels he deserves an A for his, what, natural talent? No, you can''t re-take the test you got a C on. You got a C. You didn''t bother studying for that test because you thought you could ace it based on your natural talent but you were wrong. The just-as-naturally-talented classmates of yours who actually STUDIED got As -- and they deserve a higher grade than you because they did the work when it was required. You are a C student for now. Live with it.

Oh boy, I am REALLY crabby!
11.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 3:41:09 PM

Exactly. That's why it peeves me. There is no escape. And I absolutely realize that *I* am guilty of it, myself. Hence the irony of which I spoke above. (In general, I tend to think that the things that irk us in others are things we dislike about ourselves, anyway.)

I really dislike aggressive and negligent drivers, as well. They scare me, and I don't appreciate others taking my safety for granted.

Yes, we all live and breath being right (our version of it), and for some crazy reason we are all told it is a bad quality.
It is as absurd as everyone agreeing that breathing air is naughty - as evidenced by you using the phrase "guilty of it".
As you say it is ironic.

I agree on the aggressive drivers.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I hate it when something looks yummy on an ad, or menu then you order it, and can''t even recognize it!''

-"lettuce" tacos with a sprinkling of meat

-Burgers where they are half the "HeighT" as pictured

-Anything seafood that has more breading than the actual seafood itself.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, my name is Packrat and I am totally guilty of being a loud honking strangled animal laugher. And if I really get to going, it gets high pitched shrieking eel-ish, and then I can''t breathe so I wheeze and cry. Unless it''s something that''s mildly humorous or warrants a polite haha, then I''m normal. If I find it hysterical, look out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you Kenny. On further reflection, perhaps self-righteousness wasn''t the correct phrase. Or perhaps we''re getting into semantics.

I''ll describe this pet peeve of mine in more detail:
I am peeved by people who try to assert *their* way of doing things onto others without being solicited to do so.
What do I call that? Unsolicited assertion of self-righteousness?
I''m at a loss. But you know what I mean, right? And you agree with me, right? Right????
3.gif
6.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 4:03:20 PM
I agree with you Kenny. On further reflection, perhaps self-righteousness wasn't the correct phrase. Or perhaps we're getting into semantics.
I'll describe this pet peeve of mine in more detail:
I am peeved by people who try to assert *their* way of doing things onto others without being solicited to do so.
I'm at a loss. But you know what I mean, right? And you agree with me, right? Right????
3.gif
6.gif

I'd call that Belikemeitis.

I also find that deeply annoying.
Honestly sometimes I recognize Belikemeitis in myself and I believe that's why seeing it in others bothers me so much.
Nothing is more annoying than seeing my bad qualities in others.

Carl Jung said something like, "You can learn a lot about yourself from people who annoy you".

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Self obsession. Self importance. People who have to have everything just right because they really, really matter and it''s really, really important that it''s just right for them. Especially trivial things.

(Or to put it another way, I just had a phone conversation with my cousin''s husband, a man I would never get bored of slapping).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 4:07:56 PM
Date: 5/24/2010 4:03:20 PM
I agree with you Kenny. On further reflection, perhaps self-righteousness wasn't the correct phrase. Or perhaps we're getting into semantics.
I'll describe this pet peeve of mine in more detail:
I'm at a loss. But you know what I mean, right? And you agree with me, right? Right????
3.gif
6.gif
I'd call that Belikemeitis.
I also find that deeply annoying.
Honestly sometimes I recognize Belikemeitis in myself and I believe that's why seeing it in others bothers me so much.
There is nothing so annoying as seeing my bad qualities in others.
YES! I meant to say something about that in my first post--that I think we typically dislike in others what we dislike in ourselves. The girl I disliked the most in high school was actually the most like me. That was a tough pill to swallow once I realized it.

I like the term Belikemeitis. It's perfect.

Being married has been a good exercise in combating Belikemeitis. I'd never made big decisions with another person before, and it's been wonderful to learn how to put my own ideas of how things should be done aside and to open up to new possibilities. My hubby has a bad case of Belikemeitis, we call it "The [Hisfamilyname] Way"--he comes from a long line of people afflicted with this Belikemeitis. We're getting better together.

ETA: While I admit that most of my pet peeves are things that I dislike about myself, I am NOT an aggressive driver. I'm just protective of my life, and the lives of those I love.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 4:12:57 PM

Being married has been a good exercise in combating Belikemeitis. I''d never made big decisions with another person before, and it''s been wonderful to learn how to put my own ideas of how things should be done aside and to open up to new possibilities. My hubby has a bad case of Belikemeitis, we call it ''The [Hisfamilyname] Way''--he comes from a long line of people afflicted with this Belikemeitis. We''re getting better together.

Totally totally totally.

Relationships is where my crap bubbles up.
I''m very lucky I have an understanding partner who has a nice blend of putting up with my belikemeitis, but still lets me know where I could use some work.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who flake on a meeting, and don''t even bother to call the person and let them know that they have to cancel/postpone the meeting. Especially when this is a meeting that has been scheduled for weeks now, has a lot to do with DH''s job, and DH has been waiting and preparing for it and was nervous and wanted to get it over with already!!!
39.gif

People like that Drive. Me. Nuts.
29.gif
38.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 3:28:12 PM

Someone taking up two parking spots with their new or expensive car so nobody will ding their doors.
Guilty
11.gif

My pet peeve is that idiots cannot park within their own lines and slam their doors against my poor, innocent car. So I am a space hog; loud and proud.

I hate noise - why can''t people be quiet?

I also hate rude and inconsiderate drivers; just get from a to b folks, in a timely fashion. Fooster on your own time
29.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 4:41:02 PM
Author: Steal

Date: 5/24/2010 3:28:12 PM

Guilty
11.gif

My pet peeve is that idiots cannot park within their own lines and slam their doors against my poor, innocent car. So I am a space hog; loud and proud.

I also hate rude and inconsiderate drivers; just get from a to b folks, in a timely fashion. Fooster on your own time
29.gif
So just to clarify: you don''t like people that can''t park between the lines, so you don''t park between the lines?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
- grammatical errors in online forums. Like, say, "baited breath" when you mean "bated breath," or "reeks" vs. "wreaks." I want to hop up and down like Rumpelstiltskin!

- anything sexist. I literally start to see red at the assumptions about what women or men cannot do.

- unchecked privilege, like people bitching about their really pricey recent purchase to the friend who''s struggling to pay rent.

- hurtful entitlement. One of my friends contracted herpes (off of her first sexual experience! ever!) and listening to some douche babble about how anyone with an STD was a whore made me, a) fume, and b) tell him off vehemently to the tune of, if 40% of Americans have it, have you ever thought it might be hurtful to crack wise about it in company?

- thritto this to a factor of ten for anybody who ever makes a joke about rape or abuse. I don''t care if it''s topical, you could be ripping the scab of SO many wounds. It''s inexcusable insensitivity.

- I could go on, but then I''d get the "humorless feminist" tag, which also irks me (if anybody''s hurt, it ain''t funny, folks.) But on that note ...

-How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

- That''s not funny.

That was a good vent. Thanks, Jayson''s Mom!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 4:41:02 PM
Author: Steal

Exactly! I don''t have many peeves, but noise is a HUGE one for me. I think I am totally unreasonable about it too, I know I am. I absolutely hate to hear my neighbours period. Or cars or anything at all. Complete silence except for nature sounds would be the ideal for me. I''m pretty uptight about the noise issue. When I''m alone in the house I close all the windows and turn everything off and bask in the SILENCE. Weird?
20.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/24/2010 3:49:33 PM
Author: Maria D

...this one is probably a pet peeve of many teachers. The student who doesn''t have the grade they were hoping for and now wants to know if they can do ''extra credit'' to bring their grade up. These come in two types. There''s the failing kid who hasn''t done much all year and now wants to do some kind of ''project.'' I want them to have learned the math they need for next year; not write a paper on a mathematician or build a dodecahedron. Yes, sonny, you really need to learn how to factor and if you don''t, next year is gonna be worse than this year. I let them know that my policy is if they pass the final, they will pass the course, so instead of a project they need to work on the material they haven''t mastered but NEED TO KNOW. The kid will whine that he doesn''t understand that stuff! UM, then you SHOULD FAIL!

The other type is the grade grubby kid who didn''t feel like putting in A effort all semester but now still feels he deserves an A for his, what, natural talent? No, you can''t re-take the test you got a C on. You got a C. You didn''t bother studying for that test because you thought you could ace it based on your natural talent but you were wrong. The just-as-naturally-talented classmates of yours who actually STUDIED got As -- and they deserve a higher grade than you because they did the work when it was required. You are a C student for now. Live with it.

Oh boy, I am REALLY crabby!
11.gif

Yes, but you express it so eloquently that I LOVE you! You are, indeed, speaking for us all.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/24/2010 4:09:49 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Self obsession. Self importance. People who have to have everything just right because they really, really matter and it's really, really important that it's just right for them. Especially trivial things.

(Or to put it another way, I just had a phone conversation with my cousin's husband, a man I would never get bored of slapping).

I do hope that another of your pet peeves is not people quoting you, because the italicized bit just fell firmly ashore of the reef of my oft-stated sayings.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 4:48:35 PM
Author: Circe
- grammatical errors in online forums. Like, say, ''baited breath'' when you mean ''bated breath,'' or ''reeks'' vs. ''wreaks.'' I want to hop up and down like Rumpelstiltskin!

- anything sexist. I literally start to see red at the assumptions about what women or men cannot do.

- unchecked privilege, like people bitching about their really pricey recent purchase to the friend who''s struggling to pay rent.

- hurtful entitlement. One of my friends contracted herpes (off of her first sexual experience! ever!) and listening to some douche babble about how anyone with an STD was a whore made me, a) fume, and b) tell him off vehemently to the tune of, if 40% of Americans have it, have you ever thought it might be hurtful to crack wise about it in company?

- thritto this to a factor of ten for anybody who ever makes a joke about rape or abuse. I don''t care if it''s topical, you could be ripping the scab of SO many wounds. It''s inexcusable insensitivity.

- I could go on, but then I''d get the ''humorless feminist'' tag, which also irks me (if anybody''s hurt, it ain''t funny, folks.) But on that note ...

-How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

- That''s not funny.

That was a good vent. Thanks, Jayson''s Mom!
YES YES YES YES YES.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate it when people talk to me right at the crucial part of a movie. (my kids usually!)

Passing gas when I am eating then thinking its hilarious (my ex husband!)

The cat trying to trip me up when I am carrying stuff up or down the stairs.

Junk mail. Such a waste of paper!

Insolent children. Mine are usually very polite and I can''t abide it from other people''s kids.

I am sure there are more. I will add them as I think of them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
People who use their cell phones in restaurants or the movies... GAH wish there was an ejector button for that....

When I am exiting a store, let me out before you barge in.

People who don''t say a simple thank you.... Drives me nuts..

I say thank you all the time. Takes a second, and it''s nice.

Oh and people that are mean. Really takes a lot of energy to be mean...
20.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results