shape
carat
color
clarity

Venting over daughters school principal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
29.gif
I am so angry right now. I have NEVER been so ashamed of my community before. One of my daughters friends, a guy, wants to try out for cheerleader and was told "NO, that''s a girls sport" by the principal. We have always had boys on the cheer team and this same principal approved a girl to play football last year!!!! This young man is 16 and is openly gay. I applaud his courage to come out in such an environment such as this town. I feel this is the ONLY reason he is being denied a tryout. Some of the kids started a petition and a news station came and covered the story. Mind you we are a tiny town an hour away from any city with a news station so this is big!
My daughter is one of his biggest supporters and is very outspoken on his behalf. I am very proud of these kids for taking a stand against the narrow minds of this community.
There has never been an issue about boys cheering. Even twenty years ago when I attended there were three boys cheering.
Just curious, What are your thoughts on this issue. Has this ever happened anywhere else?

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I an upset at this principal too!

Holy cow ... it''s just cheerleading for heavn''s sake!

We have two high schools in my town, both have boy''s & girls on the cheerleading squad! The boys do a fine job at cheering, and also giving support to the girls when they do their stunts!

We also have a University that has a cheerleading squad, and yes, there are about 1 guy for every 2 girls. They are all so awesome!

My kids go to jr. high, or as we call it here in the Pacific Northwest ... middle school. The middle school has a dance team, and there are 4 boys on this team. The boys have actually taught the girls a thing or two ... they actually can do flips, and stand on their head and spin, and are alot more physciall than the girls! I personally think that it gives their team an "edge" to their routine. They are so good, that they were invited to the state jr. dance team compitition!

That principal is probably not just narrow minded! I am sure he probably is homophobic as well, and he is not doing anything positive for the young people of his school. What a diservice to the open mindedness of our couragous young people!

Keep us updated with this ... I pray the principal allows the young fello a chance, and an appology for being retarded and stupid!
29.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2006 5:58:23 PM
Author:moon river
One of my daughters friends, a guy, wants to try out for cheerleader and was told 'NO, that's a girls sport' by the principal.

Show him this article:

George Bush Cheerleader at Andover

Here is an excerpt:

"Bush became a big brother to four other Bush kids. Then, at 15, he left home to start on the traditional family educational track at an elite prep school in the East, Phillips Andover. George Sr. had been a baseball star wearing the Andover 'A.' Bush also played baseball, but mostly made his mark as a cheerleader for the teams"

Deb
34.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif
I had NO idea W was a cheerleader.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. He was. Here is a real photo taken when he was at Andover.

BushAsCheerleader.jpg

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
If that's a public school, I would think the school better hire a lawyer real quick to defend itself against a discrimination suit. Good thing your daughter's good friends with him, 'cause he might be pretty wealthy soon. :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moonriver, so sorry to hear this happened! I should think you won''t have too much trouble gaining the support of a whole lotta people, and I kind of feel sorry for that principal, as he/she is going to have a lot of "splaining" to do!
36.gif
35.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 6:51:22 PM
Author: monarch64
Moonriver, so sorry to hear this happened! I should think you won''t have too much trouble gaining the support of a whole lotta people, and I kind of feel sorry for that principal, as he/she is going to have a lot of ''splaining'' to do!
36.gif
35.gif
I wish I could say that was true, however, this town and it''s ignorance is unexplanable.
38.gif

Just two counties away they have ''banned'' homosexuals!!! And no one is doing anything about it.
I''m afraid from some of the comments my daughter has heard the kids of this town are as bad as the parents. I just have a bad feeling about this.

AGBF I am using the George Bush example in a letter I am penning to the principal. Thanks for the info.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Not to long ago there was another principal that made an unpopular decision ...

A boy wanted to wear his family "kilt" to the prom, and was told "no" by the principal ... they hired an attorney ... and amazingly enough ... school board and principal changed their mind, and the boy was allowed to wear the Kilt!

And, because of the newspapers and tv people ... The scottish kilt guild "not sure about what they were called" but they were all going to chip in and give this boy an "Official" family crest kilt, etc...

I hope this boy is given an appology, and will be allowed to be on the cheerleading squad!

Still boiling over here about this!
29.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
This principal is a real peach I tell you. It will take alot to make him change his ways I''m sure. I had words with him 5 years ago when my older daughter wore an Old Navy head scarf to school and he suspended her for wearing ''gang paraphenalia''!!! It was brown and tan plaid. Please tell me WHAT gang that represents. I eventually got her back in school when I went Old Navy and got a statement saying it was a ''scarf'' and not a ''bandana'' as he kept saying.
20.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Moon~

Maybe a letter to the President of the United States wouldn''t be such a bad idea either! Maybe one of his aides could gather some "moral" support based on the President being on the cheerleading squad!

Ohhhh this is troubling!

And how can a county ban homosexuals? Has the ACLU been contacted? This seems rotten!
29.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I think it may take ''Presidential Intervention'' here.

Unfortunatly, no one has challanged the ''No Gays Allowed'' Ordinance as it is called around here. Partially because no one in their right mind, gay or straight, would want to live in the destitute hell hole anyway. It is extremely poor, has little or no actual ''town'' to it. I don''t know why they would think anyone would ''Want'' to live there. Gay people have better taste than that!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that stinks. I hope that principle has a change of heart real soon.
29.gif
Using W as an example is great. What a jerk he is!!! UGHHHHHH
38.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2006 7:06:23 PM
Author: moon river
I think it may take ''Presidential Intervention'' here.

Unfortunatly, no one has challanged the ''No Gays Allowed'' Ordinance as it is called around here. Partially because no one in their right mind, gay or straight, would want to live in the destitute hell hole anyway. It is extremely poor, has little or no actual ''town'' to it. I don''t know why they would think anyone would ''Want'' to live there. Gay people have better taste than that!!
Whoa, does that actually exist still??? (no gays ordinance?) WHERE did you say you live? I will be waiting to hear how this story unfolds! I''m from a small town myself, and I can relate to stories of idiot, bigot principals, trust me!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
He is up against alot of pressure I''m sure. My daughter lambasted half the football team yesterday for their comments about the boy cheering. She told them they must be so insecure in their sexuality that they couldn''t handle a guy cheering them on. Then she told them they were just mad that he didn''t want any of them
27.gif
That''s my girl!!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 7:11:50 PM
He is up against alot of pressure I''m sure. My daughter lambasted half the football team yesterday for their comments about the boy cheering. She told them they must be so insecure in their sexuality that they couldn''t handle a guy cheering them on. Then she told them they were just mad that he didn''t want any of them
27.gif
That''s my girl!!!
Sounds like something I would have done in High School! A lil'' outspoken sometimes, but it sure beats just going along with peer pressure ... I could definately say I didn''t hang my head!

It takes a "Real man" to accept diversity and change!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That principal is just an idiot, MR. We live in a relatively rural area, but we DO have male cheerleaders on our teams here!!! Makes no difference whether they are gay or striaght. I think guys are an asset to any squad. Sounds like it's time to write a letter to the School Board.
29.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Monarch, I missed your post. I think I was posting while you were. Didn't mean to ignore ya
2.gif

I live in South East Tennessee, about halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, in a little valley town situated between the Great Smokey Mountains and the Cumberland Plateau. Very Rural.
Very Ole Timey. The town I was refering to is about 20 miles away. My town is the more cultured of any of the small towns around....but that's not saying much.
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 8:24:15 PM
Author: DiamondLil
That principal is just an idiot, MR. We live in a relatively rural area, but we DO have male cheerleaders on our teams here!!! Makes no difference whether they are gay or striaght. I think guys are an asset to any squad. Sounds like it's time to write a letter to the School Board.
29.gif
I don't live in a rural area but all the schools here have male cheerleaders. I also see that it's a huge sport in college. I see those competitions on TV all the time. This principle is way off. I agree a letter should go to the school board, and a petition with signatures from students and parents will help as well. Ughhhh
38.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2006 8:42:52 PM
Sorry Monarch, I missed your post. I think I was posting while you were. Didn''t mean to ignore ya
2.gif

I live in South East Tennessee, about halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, in a little valley town situated between the Great Smokey Mountains and the Cumberland Plateau. Very Rural.
Very Ole Timey. The town I was refering to is about 20 miles away. My town is the more cultured of any of the small towns around....but that''s not saying much.
7.gif
No worries, moonriver. I''ve been through your neck o'' the woods a few times driving to Myrtle Beach from southern IN with my parents on vacations back when I was in high school. Coming from a rural town where everyone had a "hick" accent, I thought I knew the meaning of "southern" back then...we once stopped at a truck stop in the Smokies, and I couldn''t understand one word when the gal behind the counter said "May I help you?" It sounded more like, "May Ah Hep ye?" LOL! I remember feeling like a total idiot because I couldn''t understand her accent!

I really miss the PM system! I could tell you some stories, for sure, of the school system I came from. I tried out for cheerleading in 4th grade, only to be cut because, as I later found out, the judges were all buddies from back in the day and had an actual written list (my mother discovered) of who was to be chosen. Just seems to be the way it works sometimes, unfortunately. Of course, that''s NOTHING compared to what this poor fellow must be going through. I hope he is prepared, and your town as well, for any chaos that breaks loose when national news teams get a hold of this story.

I''m so proud of your daughter for sticking her neck out for this guy. It takes a strong lady to stand up for what''s right when everyone else thinks otherwise. You''re a good mom for giving her all the support in the world. I wish you, your daughter, and the gentleman involved the best of luck.
36.gif
35.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
That''s just wrong! Rural or urban, shouldn''t be happening. If the parents wanted, they could so get lawyers involved.
Just today waiting in the ridiculously long line at Potbellys, I overheard 2 parents discussing how one of the grade schools near me their spring play is Wizard of Oz and a boy tried out for Dorothy...and I guess he was so good they gave him the part! Unfortunately, I forgot what they''ve changed his name to, some male name that begins with a D. Anyway, that principal is just goign to perpetuate the same problems if kids grow up learning to act that way from their parents and teachers...good job raising your daughter to know how wrong it is and for her to be strong enough to speak out against it!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Coming from schools w/ a history of men & women cheering squads - I say let him try out. Are they worried if he trys out and doesn''t make it that it would create even more "issues" for the school?

But, to play the devil''s advocate - does his mannerisms make a mockery of the sport? Sort of in the same way an over the top sex pot gal would do? Also, does he want to become a cheerleader as part of an agenda/statement/attention or does he truly love the sport?

I have to ask the questions as I''m not sure it''s that cut and dry.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
That''s very dissapointing and he isn''t setting a very good example!

Clearly the younger generation don''t have the same hang-ups!

some one had better explain what ''equality'' is to this guy!!

Blod
29.gif

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
How bizzarre and sad! It is such a pity that such ignoramuses abound.

College cheerleading is a serious, competitive varsity sport for both men and women... and many athletic scholarships are given to cheerleades at big schools. Male cheerleaders are actually pretty high in demand!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 9:57:01 AM
Author: fire&ice
Coming from schools w/ a history of men & women cheering squads - I say let him try out. Are they worried if he trys out and doesn''t make it that it would create even more ''issues'' for the school?

But, to play the devil''s advocate - does his mannerisms make a mockery of the sport? Sort of in the same way an over the top sex pot gal would do? Also, does he want to become a cheerleader as part of an agenda/statement/attention or does he truly love the sport?

I have to ask the questions as I''m not sure it''s that cut and dry.
He is actually into gymnastics so I''m sure his motives are to cheer. I agree some people just challange things for attention and to spoof the situation, but it is not the case here. He is truly shocked by the reaction of the Principal and some of the community and by the media attention.
He is also full of school spirit. My daughter is Freshman Class President and anytime they need someone for a school project he is always there, unlike alot of students.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 2:39:55 PM

Date: 3/5/2006 9:57:01 AM
Author: fire&ice
Coming from schools w/ a history of men & women cheering squads - I say let him try out. Are they worried if he trys out and doesn't make it that it would create even more 'issues' for the school?

But, to play the devil's advocate - does his mannerisms make a mockery of the sport? Sort of in the same way an over the top sex pot gal would do? Also, does he want to become a cheerleader as part of an agenda/statement/attention or does he truly love the sport?

I have to ask the questions as I'm not sure it's that cut and dry.
He is actually into gymnastics so I'm sure his motives are to cheer. I agree some people just challange things for attention and to spoof the situation, but it is not the case here. He is truly shocked by the reaction of the Principal and some of the community and by the media attention.
He is also full of school spirit. My daughter is Freshman Class President and anytime they need someone for a school project he is always there, unlike alot of students.
Then - that sux. As Tiger mentioned it is a way of getting two scholarships (gymnastics & cheerleading) - some colleges offer the dual one. Maybe that should be an approach - the limiting of chances of scholarships. I believe that was the angle for allowing women to play in male sports when a women's team sport was not offered.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE!!!!!

The principal changed his mind. The whole school, with the exception of the boys on the football team, signed the petition and he is allowing the young man to try out. I''m sure he realized this thing was blowing up in his face and took the high road.

Unfortunatly, the insecure football boys are causing quiet a stink.
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s good to hear. I''m happy for him.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good news! I''m really happy to hear the principal changed his mind. (Shouldn''t have been an issue in the first place, but oh well...) Of course the football guys will make a fuss, but it sounds like your daughter makes a pretty good bodyguard, moonriver!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results