shape
carat
color
clarity

US Post Office - We've All Been There!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spoiler alert: I'm gonna disparage the post office a little here, so look away now, if you don't want to ruin the ending...

I just had to send a stone back to Wales. I looked online for options and saw that I had a few, with the only given being that it had to be sent Registered Mail (recipient's request). I think I'm smart by doing as much as I can at home, but this time, since I wasn't sure of the actual mail service, the only thing I did at home (because its time consuming) is to do the wet wrap brown tape thing. I purposely did not choose the mail service, other than Registered, before I got there, because I wanted to get the cheapest one. So here's how the conversation went, with yet the latest in one-time-at-the-counter-never-to-be-seen-again postal clerks.

Me: Hi, I need to send this Registered, but other than that, I'll take the cheapest way.

She: You know Registered has nothing to do with the mail service, that the mail service is in addition to the service of Registering the package?

Me: Yes.

She: Okay. Where is it going? To Wales? Okay, that will be $12.95 for sending it Registered and $23.95 for the postage for Priority Mail.

Me: But your sign right above your head says that Priority Mail is $19.95.

She: Yes, that is for a flat rate envelope.

Me: No, below that - it says its $19.95 for a small, flat rate box. This is a small, flat rate box.

She: Oh, you're right! I don't know why the sign says that. Its wrong. Its $23.95.

(so I'm mildly annoyed and amused; after all, I wouldn't expect anything less from the latest in random clerks who will disappear as soon as my transaction is complete, never to be seen again)

Me: is that the cheapest way to get it there?

She: No, there are cheaper ways, like First Class International.

Me: Oh, okay then! How much would that be? That's what I want to do.

She: For First Class International it would be $13.95. But you can't.

Me: I can't what? Send it First Class? Why not? I thought you just said I could?

She: Because you have it in a Priority Mail box.

Me: So?

She: Because those boxes are just for Priority Mail.

Me: Oh, I get you! It has markings on it which would be confusing.

[Note to anyone still reading this: When you send something Registered Mail, every corner and every edge has to be covered in their weird, regulation, brown tape. When you do that, you end up covering almost the entire box with brown tape, so there was very little of the "Priority Mail" wording exposed]

Me: I'll just cover those up with more brown tape and we'll be good to go.

She: You can't do that.

Me: Why?

She: Because I'll know its a Priority Mail box you're using.

Me: You're kidding, right?

She: No, I'm sorry, I can't allow that.

Me: Are you saying that this shape and size box cannot be sent the cheaper First Class International way?

She: No, it can.

Me: ???? Then why can't I use this box? Because it has a Priority Mail label on it? And if I cover it up it won't be seen and you guys would be fine?

She: Yes, but I will know. And now that I know, I cannot let you do that.

Me: Can I speak with your supervisor?

She: She's not here.

Me: (steam rising off my head and very glumly): I guess I'll send it Priority Mail then.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a fun day! (no)

I know they had a lot of problems in the past with people taking apart the priority mail boxes, turning them inside out, and then using them that way. So they put a stop to it by saying "if you are using our priority mail box in any way then you have to pay for priority shipping."

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh Minous...that sounds like a scene out of Catch-22.

I've had so many similar experiences, I know what that feels like. Just remembering some of my conversations at my local PO makes me want to tear my hair out!!!

I avoid going there if at all possible by printing my labels online...but every so often I have to go there for some odd reason or another, and it's usually awful.

With that said, I do love my postman. He's great, at least.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Holy mackeral, I have no words! (A first.) Minou, that should be a movie. Too bad you didn't video it for YouTube! You get extra points for surviving without having a stroke. :appl:

--- Laurie

April20

Ideal_Rock
It's actually illegal to use the free priority mail packagig for anyting other than priority mail. This applies even to recycled packaging. It's printed on the packaging itself. I can't remember the wording, but I think the offense might even be federal.

USPS is very, very good at recognizing their packaging even when it's completely covered by paper, tape, etc. They've been known to deliver packages with postage due or return them to the sender.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good lord. :rolleyes: USPS has become a nightmare. JD is making/selling items from home and they "lost" a $250 package, and b/c there was no insurance on it, we're stuck. Even tho they know where the package is, we can't get it, and have no recourse. The "contents became separated from its packaging". They told JD he had it packaged extremely well, but basically "crap happens, shoulda had insurance". He refuses to send anything USPS now unless it's absolutely necessary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first couple times I shipped Registered I also encountered all their rules.
By the third time I'd learned their system and walk in with everything correct and ready.

The only complaint I still have is they try to upsell you on the speed of your Registered package, calling it something like priority or express.
I reply, "No thanks. You can pay more but Registered won't move any faster." (indicating I know it's a scam.)
Often the clerk will smile knowingly back at me. ;-)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1381193435|3533950 said:
Good lord. :rolleyes: USPS has become a nightmare. JD is making/selling items from home and they "lost" a $250 package, and b/c there was no insurance on it, we're stuck. Even tho they know where the package is, we can't get it, and have no recourse. The "contents became separated from its packaging". They told JD he had it packaged extremely well, but basically "crap happens, shoulda had insurance". He refuses to send anything USPS now unless it's absolutely necessary.

Just this evening I went to get the mail and found a clear plastic bag containing two crumpled fragments of an envelope that my grandma sent me for my birthday. It originally contained a $200 check. That was obviously long gone. The clear plastic bag had "USPS: WE CARE" printed on it. Sure you do.... the way my mailbox is and the way my grandma's mailbox is means that the only people with an opportunity to steal it are USPS workers.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1381195795|3533966 said:
Just this evening I went to get the mail and found a clear plastic bag containing two crumpled fragments of an envelope that my grandma sent me for my birthday. It originally contained a $200 check. That was obviously long gone. The clear plastic bag had "USPS: WE CARE" printed on it. Sure you do.... the way my mailbox is and the way my grandma's mailbox is means that the only people with an opportunity to steal it are USPS workers.

Actually, this probably has more to do with the automated sorting equipment than anything a worker did (other than piece together to the best of their ability the remnants and package them and send them to you. Once a piece of mail gets caught in the machine.... It Loses.

More troublesome is the amount of "musical mail" I get for my neighbors. Every month I am delivering to someone within a block or so a misdirected letter. Once in a while half way across town. I am also on the receiving end every now and then too. This has not changed in years.

Perry

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1381198530|3533987 said:

Actually, this probably has more to do with the automated sorting equipment than anything a worker did (other than piece together to the best of their ability the remnants and package them and send them to you. Once a piece of mail gets caught in the machine.... It Loses.

More troublesome is the amount of "musical mail" I get for my neighbors. Every month I am delivering to someone within a block or so a misdirected letter. Once in a while half way across town. I am also on the receiving end every now and then too. This has not changed in years.

Perry

It sounds like we have the same mail carrier. :bigsmile: Actually, I think its thoughtful of them to help us get to know our neighbors ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80 and April20: I shouldn't make light of the rules and I appreciate your explaining this to me. Its just the way they don't offer to help in any way that gets me. I actually thought the whole conversation was pretty funny, once I got over having to pay $10 bucks more simply because I had the wrong cardboard, lol.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and, yeah, I have gotten those "sorry your package/envelope/piece of mail has gotten mangled" notices and every time, I'm just happy it wasn't someone's hand.

And Kenny, I agree and try to do the same. But this time, it was a little more challenging because it was going to Wales and I didn't know the weight, which meant that I opened myself up to the little game I call Post Office Roulette. :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably have gone over to the side and bought one of their other envelopes and slipped that whole thing inside of it (without her seeing the box, of course) and gone back up to the counter so I could have gotten the $10 cheaper postage!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol:

I hate dealing with them! Your story is great!

Had a client send a $700,000 personal check to the office using USPS...
This woman could have driven 15 minutes to drop it off but decided to mail it instead and call me every day in a panic hoping I'd gotten it. She eventually had to cancel the check and write a new one which she stuck back in her mail box!?!
3rd check finally got through...
Never saw any sign of the 2nd check.
First check showed up 6 months later in one of those "We're sorry for any inconvenience" bags :rolleyes:

Had a Netflix show up a day later than estimated. Wouldn't usually have given much thought to it, but this one had been opened and then carefully taped back closed again!

We also got the cancer treatment meds for our neighbor across the street one time :nono:
(Thankfully it came to us and I was able to get it to him! I can't imagine what he would have gone through if it had been delivered somewhere else...)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1381204686|3534035 said:
I would probably have gone over to the side and bought one of their other envelopes and slipped that whole thing inside of it (without her seeing the box, of course) and gone back up to the counter so I could have gotten the $10 cheaper postage!

I would've too, but for Registered, the whole thing needs to be wrapped in their special brown tape that requires water to adhere, so its kind of a messy process and I would've needed to ask her for the tape and sponges to tape it up...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1381210075|3534054 said:
:lol: :lol:

I hate dealing with them! Your story is great!

Had a client send a $700,000 personal check to the office using USPS...
This woman could have driven 15 minutes to drop it off but decided to mail it instead and call me every day in a panic hoping I'd gotten it. She eventually had to cancel the check and write a new one which she stuck back in her mail box!?!
3rd check finally got through...
Never saw any sign of the 2nd check.
First check showed up 6 months later in one of those "We're sorry for any inconvenience" bags :rolleyes:

Had a Netflix show up a day later than estimated. Wouldn't usually have given much thought to it, but this one had been opened and then carefully taped back closed again!

We also got the cancer treatment meds for our neighbor across the street one time :nono:
(Thankfully it came to us and I was able to get it to him! I can't imagine what he would have gone through if it had been delivered somewhere else...)

You know, TooPatient, I was about to ask the rhetorical question of "what are the odds that it would take three times to actually have the check received?" But then I thought twice about it - sadly, its the USPS!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou, I totally empathize with your frustration over this and I am sorry about your ordeal at the Post Office. It's amazing how difficult it can be to communicate with people sometimes!

And I also commiserate over the misdirected mail issue. No exaggeration-we get mail for our neighbors and vice versa all the time! This happens more often at our NY address (including checks and other important mail) but out here in the NJ burbs it happens too. It causes me to wonder what mail might not be getting to us that should be yanno? I chalk it up to pure sloppiness because it just isn't that difficult to match the address on the envelope/package to the house address.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1381193435|3533950 said:

Haha yeah that would make me roll my eyes for sure!

JD had a huge argument w/them. The first person in town he talked to said "Huh, well I dunno what to tell you". The Post Master did use the tracking and find it in the Mail Recovery Center. He called the MRC. They said oh yeah, it's here. Can I get it back? No. Why not? We don't know where it is. But you said it's for sure THERE? Yes. So...why can't you send it back to me? We don't know where it is. You said it's THERE how can you NOT know where it is? It's a big building. So, what, you just basically open up the door and throw stuff onto the floor in a big giant shit heap? Well, no. So why can't you find it? It's on a shelf somewhere. You don't have a LIST, nothing is written DOWN? No, we just put it in here, but there's so much stuff we can't possibly go thru it all. It would make sense to have things categorized so you can give them BACK, would it not?? Well, there's a lot of stuff here and we'd be too busy having to go find things for people that are lost. Aaaaaand that's when JD went ballistic about their handling practices, and the guy was like ohhh yeah, the box was super taped, superior packaging blah blah blah, but sometimes these things happen. Shoulda had insurance.

Nice. So then we got in the mail two parts of the box---our return address and the mailing address. And we had to send pictures of what the items were on the "off chance" someone happened to stumble upon them. Whatever.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1381203735|3534028 said:
...and, yeah, I have gotten those "sorry your package/envelope/piece of mail has gotten mangled" notices and every time, I'm just happy it wasn't someone's hand.

And Kenny, I agree and try to do the same. But this time, it was a little more challenging because it was going to Wales and I didn't know the weight, which meant that I opened myself up to the little game I call Post Office Roulette. :wink2:

:lol: It's a shame it's a game that never seems to pay out!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh minousbijoux, I SO feel your pain!

If it's any consolation, the post office everywhere is bad but in Chicago it is BEYOND BAD.

One time Bill and I moved (within the same zip code and even still had the same mail carrier) and we didn't get any mail for six weeks. Keep in mind this was the late nineties, before everything was electronic. We called and called and no one could do anything, but the last straw was that it was Christmas time and Bill's sister had sent us a box of gifts. More calling... and calling... and eventually we went to the post office in our district.

Their explanation for why we hadn't gotten any mail? SIMPLE! Because no one must have sent us anything! Of course! Why didn't I think of that? When we moved American Express suddently stopped sending us bills becuase everything we bought after that was FREE! And the new condo that we were waiting for the mortgage payment coupons on? A GIFT from Citibank! And the *alleged* box from Bill's sister? No box! She must be LYING that she sent us anything!

We discussed. We begged. We argued. And finally we said we wanted to file a complaint and a claim for the lost box. They infomed us the box was NOT LOST. They just... couldn't find it. But it wasn't *LOST* therefore they would no let us file a claim for the lost item. I then *LOST* my mind. It takes a lot; I think in all the years Bill and I were married he heard me raise my voice three times and this was one of them. Someone went "upstairs to look around." An hour and ten minutes later then came back down. With our box. And a brown paper bag full of our mail. The mail no one had sent us.

:rolleyes: :angryfire: :nono:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't know whether these stories are more funny or depressing -- but they are truly amazing! Remind me exactly of things I've read about the Russian bureaucracies, impenetrable. I am certain USPS gives stupid-tests to job applicants, only hiring those who score dumbest. Your experiences are a real challenge to your ability to cling to sanity!

--- Laurie

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I always feel so bad when I read USPS experiences on these boards. Somehow I've been amazingly fortunate with our service. I have a mailbox and also a PO box in a neighboring town and both locations have been fantastic. Our carrier always wraps our packages inside a plastic bag before placing them on our porch if we are not home 'just in case' we have a shower and they got wet before we returned. :)) One time he even placed a large package in the back seat of DH's jeep when we weren't home, and then placed a note in our mailbox letting us know that it was there. I should probably mention though that we live in a little town were crime is almost non existent and most everyone knows everyone else, so the fact that he actually opened our car door doesn't feel as invasive as it likely would in other areas.

The counter clerks at each office are really great too. I've packaged items inside the priority boxes and then went to pay for them and they always tell me if there is a cheaper way, and then THEY re-tape the box for me to hide the 'priority' markings. I've even picked up a package at Christmas time that didn't come in a box, just one of the priority envelopes, and mentioned that I would have to find a box now so that I could wrap and reship the gift, so the clerk handed me half a dozen different sized boxes with assorted holiday type designs. They were evidently supposed to have been added to a bin on clearance because they were last years boxes or something and told me 'free of charge, Happy Holidays from USPS'.

FedEx on the other hand.. :shock: They just sort of toss your package onto the porch or patio from about halfway down the walk, whether your home or not. I've returned home to receive completely saturated packages, open or torn boxes, during the holidays I'll often find a few packages on the front porch and then a few more on the back patio. :???: I had a package that didn't arrive when expected and when I tracked it, they kept telling me that it was 'out for delivery' until a couple of days later when it changed to 'returned'. I called and the rep I spoke with insisted that my address didn't exist, even when I explained that they had been delivering to me for years, she continued to insist that I was incorrect and didn't know my actual address. :lol: Oddly though when the sender shipped the package back to me it arrived right on time.....to my non-existent address.....where I live.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1381240012|3534125 said:
I don't know whether these stories are more funny or depressing -- but they are truly amazing! Remind me exactly of things I've read about the Russian bureaucracies, impenetrable. I am certain USPS gives stupid-tests to job applicants, only hiring those who score dumbest. Your experiences are a real challenge to your ability to cling to sanity!

--- Laurie

Actually, to put things in perspective.... Princess Zhanna is totally amazed at how friendly and helpful the USPS (and SS, etc) is - and is stunned at how here in the US we can actually mail things and expect that they routinely show up to where we send them in a timely fashion - even if a few things get lost once in a while.

No one pays bills in the Ukraine by mailing checks or money orders. To even propose that would get you labeled as "crazy." If its important to get there - you ensure it is personally delivered; or you use a special private delivery service (which charges appropriately).

So, while we may disparage our USPS - I suggest you talk with people from other countries for a comparison.

Have a great day,

Perry

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1381194332|3533956 said:
The first couple times I shipped Registered I also encountered all their rules.
By the third time I'd learned their system and walk in with everything correct and ready.

The only complaint I still have is they try to upsell you on the speed of your Registered package, calling it something like priority or express.
I reply, "No thanks. You can pay more but Registered won't move any faster." (indicating I know it's a scam.)

Often the clerk will smile knowingly back at me. ;-)

Oh yeah, they try to do this to me, too. I always just smile and say "No thank you." One time a clerk kept arguing with me and insisted that you could do registered with priority. UGH!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, minous! I know your situation was frustrating, but so many people try to use those priority boxes for free, so I do understand their rule, even though it's annoying in your case.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1381233652|3534093 said:
JD had a huge argument w/them. The first person in town he talked to said "Huh, well I dunno what to tell you". The Post Master did use the tracking and find it in the Mail Recovery Center. He called the MRC. They said oh yeah, it's here. Can I get it back? No. Why not? We don't know where it is. But you said it's for sure THERE? Yes. So...why can't you send it back to me? We don't know where it is. You said it's THERE how can you NOT know where it is? It's a big building. So, what, you just basically open up the door and throw stuff onto the floor in a big giant shit heap? Well, no. So why can't you find it? It's on a shelf somewhere. You don't have a LIST, nothing is written DOWN? No, we just put it in here, but there's so much stuff we can't possibly go thru it all. It would make sense to have things categorized so you can give them BACK, would it not?? Well, there's a lot of stuff here and we'd be too busy having to go find things for people that are lost. Aaaaaand that's when JD went ballistic about their handling practices, and the guy was like ohhh yeah, the box was super taped, superior packaging blah blah blah, but sometimes these things happen. Shoulda had insurance.

Nice. So then we got in the mail two parts of the box---our return address and the mailing address. And we had to send pictures of what the items were on the "off chance" someone happened to stumble upon them. Whatever.

OMG, Packie, I know this is not funny, but its so funny, I practically just p__d my pants! I know that kind of you-are-a-human-and-must-be-logical-like-me-so-I-will-try-and-reason-with-you approach. But they are immune - some don't care, some are not logical, and many more who DO care and ARE logical have probably learned in their own self-protection to detach and be automatic in responding, because they get yelled at so often. Their responses (or lack thereof) are so ridiculously extreme that its hilarious to read these exchanges we have. I mean, we couldn't write better comedy if we tried! JD's image of a big building, with nothing but a big ol sh_t heap to the ceiling of "stuff" and workers opening the front door and throwing more on the pile...well, its priceless!

I'm very sorry you had to go through that though...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1381238649|3534119 said:
Oh minousbijoux, I SO feel your pain!

If it's any consolation, the post office everywhere is bad but in Chicago it is BEYOND BAD.

One time Bill and I moved (within the same zip code and even still had the same mail carrier) and we didn't get any mail for six weeks. Keep in mind this was the late nineties, before everything was electronic. We called and called and no one could do anything, but the last straw was that it was Christmas time and Bill's sister had sent us a box of gifts. More calling... and calling... and eventually we went to the post office in our district.

Their explanation for why we hadn't gotten any mail? SIMPLE! Because no one must have sent us anything! Of course! Why didn't I think of that? When we moved American Express suddently stopped sending us bills becuase everything we bought after that was FREE! And the new condo that we were waiting for the mortgage payment coupons on? A GIFT from Citibank! And the *alleged* box from Bill's sister? No box! She must be LYING that she sent us anything!

We discussed. We begged. We argued. And finally we said we wanted to file a complaint and a claim for the lost box. They infomed us the box was NOT LOST. They just... couldn't find it. But it wasn't *LOST* therefore they would no let us file a claim for the lost item. I then *LOST* my mind. It takes a lot; I think in all the years Bill and I were married he heard me raise my voice three times and this was one of them. Someone went "upstairs to look around." An hour and ten minutes later then came back down. With our box. And a brown paper bag full of our mail. The mail no one had sent us.

:rolleyes: :angryfire: :nono:

Thank you, DJ! I guess misery loves company, because I find these stories so typical and so funny, if you aren't the one on the receiving end! And its truly amazing when non-existent things materialize right before our eyes, isn't it? :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1381232535|3534087 said:
Minou, I totally empathize with your frustration over this and I am sorry about your ordeal at the Post Office. It's amazing how difficult it can be to communicate with people sometimes!

And I also commiserate over the misdirected mail issue. No exaggeration-we get mail for our neighbors and vice versa all the time! This happens more often at our NY address (including checks and other important mail) but out here in the NJ burbs it happens too. It causes me to wonder what mail might not be getting to us that should be yanno? I chalk it up to pure sloppiness because it just isn't that difficult to match the address on the envelope/package to the house address.

Missy, its you who are the sweet one! Thank you, but having you all to commiserate with makes it fun in a perverse way. :bigsmile: As to the mail to the wrong houses...like I said, I think its their way of bringing the neighborhood a leetle bit closer together, don't you? :wink2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1381240012|3534125 said:

--- Laurie

I know, right?!!

As JG said: "It's a shame it's a game that never seems to pay out!"

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1381242801|3534144 said:
Oh wow! I always feel so bad when I read USPS experiences on these boards. Somehow I've been amazingly fortunate with our service. I have a mailbox and also a PO box in a neighboring town and both locations have been fantastic. Our carrier always wraps our packages inside a plastic bag before placing them on our porch if we are not home 'just in case' we have a shower and they got wet before we returned. :)) One time he even placed a large package in the back seat of DH's jeep when we weren't home, and then placed a note in our mailbox letting us know that it was there. I should probably mention though that we live in a little town were crime is almost non existent and most everyone knows everyone else, so the fact that he actually opened our car door doesn't feel as invasive as it likely would in other areas.

The counter clerks at each office are really great too. I've packaged items inside the priority boxes and then went to pay for them and they always tell me if there is a cheaper way, and then THEY re-tape the box for me to hide the 'priority' markings. I've even picked up a package at Christmas time that didn't come in a box, just one of the priority envelopes, and mentioned that I would have to find a box now so that I could wrap and reship the gift, so the clerk handed me half a dozen different sized boxes with assorted holiday type designs. They were evidently supposed to have been added to a bin on clearance because they were last years boxes or something and told me 'free of charge, Happy Holidays from USPS'.

FedEx on the other hand.. :shock: They just sort of toss your package onto the porch or patio from about halfway down the walk, whether your home or not. I've returned home to receive completely saturated packages, open or torn boxes, during the holidays I'll often find a few packages on the front porch and then a few more on the back patio. :???: I had a package that didn't arrive when expected and when I tracked it, they kept telling me that it was 'out for delivery' until a couple of days later when it changed to 'returned'. I called and the rep I spoke with insisted that my address didn't exist, even when I explained that they had been delivering to me for years, she continued to insist that I was incorrect and didn't know my actual address. :lol: Oddly though when the sender shipped the package back to me it arrived right on time.....to my non-existent address.....where I live.

See, that's where the disconnect comes in, with the big city anonymity of it. You are absolutely right that in the small towns I've been in, the post office is often an important community resource, and the personnel are awesome. In fact, its kind of hard to believe that they are part of the same system!

And as to Fed Ex, that's a whole 'nother thread! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results