shape
carat
color
clarity

US Post Office - We've All Been There!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My mailperson does all of the above too. But the thing that is really irritating, is when I receive this little pink slip in my mailbox that says something to the effect: "you were not home when when we tried to deliver the certified/registered item, so now you can drive to the post office and pick it up." Well, we have been at home waiting for this item and the mailperson didn't feel like walking up to our door to get our signature! :angryfire:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathley|1381249478|3534198 said:
My mailperson does all of the above too. But the thing that is really irritating, is when I receive this little pink slip in my mailbox that says something to the effect: "you were not home when when we tried to deliver the certified/registered item, so now you can drive to the post office and pick it up." Well, we have been at home waiting for this item and the mailperson didn't feel like walking up to our door to get our signature! :angryfire:

So annoying!! I've had this happen so many times: I was sitting at home all day, and the delivery person never bothered to knock or ring the doorbell for my signature. I've now taken to putting huge signs on the door saying that I am home and not to leave without getting my signature.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I will have to resort to that too!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1381251041|3534220 said:
kathley|1381249478|3534198 said:

So annoying!! I've had this happen so many times: I was sitting at home all day, and the delivery person never bothered to knock or ring the doorbell for my signature. I've now taken to putting huge signs on the door saying that I am home and not to leave without getting my signature.

Ditto this - my somewhat regular mail carrier is on the phone when she delivers the mail. She can't very well interrupt her call to knock, now can she? :roll: :roll:

Laila: great idea re the sign.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1381210075|3534054 said:
Had a Netflix show up a day later than estimated. Wouldn't usually have given much thought to it, but this one had been opened and then carefully taped back closed again!

OMG, this very thing happened to us -- twice in two weeks and the same series!!

Either Netflix has some serious packaging problems or our mail lady seriously loves The Walking Dead!! :lol: ...enough to risk her job. :???: :shock: ::)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I avoid the post office whenever possible. When I have to go I try to use the automated teller machine thingy. But today I get to go to submit my son's passport...ugh, not looking forward to that at all. It's like they try to make it as inconvenient as possible. Out of the 4 or so post offices in town, only one accepts passports past 1:30pm...and that one is the super busy one and still only takes them until 3:00pm...and my husband works 45 minutes away and gets off work at 2:00pm and we both have to be there. So yes, looking forward to a fun afternoon.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha thanks Minous! The LOOK on his face OMG when he was telling me, just this completely dumbfounded look of utter disbelief that people could be so incompetent.

ETA-we do have a really great mailman tho, he's really nice and never thought I was weird or crazy when I'd drive around the neighborhood looking for him if I had a package coming. Then he started delivering any packages to me first, before going on his route.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit sheepish about starting this thread now.

For the last few days, our mail has been delivered by a different carrier every day at 9:00 p.m. at night or later. It occurred to me that the Federal shutdown must be affecting the USPS (duh!) and our mail delivery. It then occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, it was why things were as confused as they were the other day when I went in. I'm not excusing all those days they don't deliver packages when I'm home, when they deliver the wrong mail, or when they drive on the lawn because they don't feel like getting out of the truck (really? Really? :roll: :roll: ), but I'm feeling a bit guilty about not being a bit more tolerant about how they've been affected recently. Just thought I should acknowledge that.

And for the many postal workers who go out of their way to help (as in the examples provided by several posters), thank you!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
packrat said:
sonnyjane|1381195795|3533966 said:
packrat|1381193435|3533950 said:
Good lord. :rolleyes: USPS has become a nightmare. JD is making/selling items from home and they "lost" a $250 package, and b/c there was no insurance on it, we're stuck. Even tho they know where the package is, we can't get it, and have no recourse. The "contents became separated from its packaging". They told JD he had it packaged extremely well, but basically "crap happens, shoulda had insurance". He refuses to send anything USPS now unless it's absolutely necessary.

Just this evening I went to get the mail and found a clear plastic bag containing two crumpled fragments of an envelope that my grandma sent me for my birthday. It originally contained a $200 check. That was obviously long gone. The clear plastic bag had "USPS: WE CARE" printed on it. Sure you do.... the way my mailbox is and the way my grandma's mailbox is means that the only people with an opportunity to steal it are USPS workers.

Haha yeah that would make me roll my eyes for sure!

JD had a huge argument w/them. The first person in town he talked to said "Huh, well I dunno what to tell you". The Post Master did use the tracking and find it in the Mail Recovery Center. He called the MRC. They said oh yeah, it's here. Can I get it back? No. Why not? We don't know where it is. But you said it's for sure THERE? Yes. So...why can't you send it back to me? We don't know where it is. You said it's THERE how can you NOT know where it is? It's a big building. So, what, you just basically open up the door and throw stuff onto the floor in a big giant shit heap? Well, no. So why can't you find it? It's on a shelf somewhere. You don't have a LIST, nothing is written DOWN? No, we just put it in here, but there's so much stuff we can't possibly go thru it all. It would make sense to have things categorized so you can give them BACK, would it not?? Well, there's a lot of stuff here and we'd be too busy having to go find things for people that are lost. Aaaaaand that's when JD went ballistic about their handling practices, and the guy was like ohhh yeah, the box was super taped, superior packaging blah blah blah, but sometimes these things happen. Shoulda had insurance.

Nice. So then we got in the mail two parts of the box---our return address and the mailing address. And we had to send pictures of what the items were on the "off chance" someone happened to stumble upon them. Whatever.

This is exactly what happened with my Cartier trinity ring. It was being sent to Cartier to be polished. The label fell off they have docs to prove where it was last seen. Photos even, But will I ever get it back? Can I call nope, I was told it's too noisy in there they do answer the phone. I can't have it because I have to wait for someone to locate it open it and send it back. It's been since June 25th what are the odds if it ever showing up in my mail again?? ZERO!!! Add insult to injury the clerk had no clue as to what he was doing. Didn't even know what the service was where the item is locked up each step of the way... ( it was a what is called a Contract Post Office, and never applied the fee for insurance so it's not insured. )
The customer service person from the PO told me the contract PO are not supposed to offer certified because they can't secure the items... So no wonder he had no clue!
They have told me that it might show up, I've filled out the MRC form 3 times because there is no follow through, they just say don't call us we will call you IF WE FIND IT!!!

Grrrrrr

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results