shape
carat
color
clarity

Upholstery/Area Rug Cleaning

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if any of you have had your sofas or other upholstered furniture cleaned and if so, how often you have it done. We''ve had our set for about 5 years and I feel it''s time to clean them, but the quote I just got seemed high to me. The place I contacted quoted $168 for cleaning a normal sized sofa, $218 to clean and protect, and $268 to clean, protect, and sanitize/deodorize with a 6 month warranty. Does this seem reasonable?
We are also looking to clean 2 decent sized area rugs and they offer 20% off if you drop off/pick up. I''m wondering if I should rent a machine and do it myself.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you take the covers off the cushions? I do that all the time. Wash the covers in All Free and Clear mixed with Oxyclean and then hang dry them overnight (which is important to prevent shrinkage). Not sure about the rest of the padding. I have a hand-held bissell that I clean the sides of the couch.

That price doesn''t seem high - probably depends upon the fabric. Have you checked yelp.com for reviews of the company you''re looking at hiring?

Oh, and with our rugs, my DH rents a cleaner and puts the rugs out on the deck and cleans them out there.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that sounds like a fantastic price actually! Even though most couches have cushions with zippers, the covers aren''t really intended to be removed and washed in water. It can lead to major shrinkage and then you''re left with a naked couch! We ruined a couch last year trying to clean it ourselves with a machine. We couldn''t get it to dry completely so it just started smelling gross.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rugs we definitely do ourselves. We have a Bissell ProDry machine that''s great.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 2:51:38 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I think that sounds like a fantastic price actually! Even though most couches have cushions with zippers, the covers aren''t really intended to be removed and washed in water. It can lead to major shrinkage and then you''re left with a naked couch! We ruined a couch last year trying to clean it ourselves with a machine. We couldn''t get it to dry completely so it just started smelling gross.
Probably depends mostly on the fabric and NOT putting the covers in the dryer.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I vacuum my upholstery regularly so no need to clean. My sister had hers professionally cleaned last week after a party where people were really messy and got food and drink over her sofa and area rugs. I have oriental/persian rugs that I had cleaned once and I had them sent out to be washed by hand, not machine washed. For my berber carpets I used ChemDry (recommended them to my sister) and they were extremely reasonable and did a wonderful job. My 15 year old berber carpets look brand new.

ETA: ( my dad was a furniture maker) You need to check the fabric label on your sofa to make sure you can clean and sanitize? (never heard of sanitizing a sofa) it. Certain fabrics cannot get wet and might have to be cleaned utilizing alternative means. I know definitely if it has a "W" it is ok. If it has an "X" cleaning it using a water based cleaner or solvent can potentially shrink or fade the fabric. "S" requires a water free solvent, better for the professionals to handle.You want to make sure whoever you choose understand fabrics so they do not ruin your sofa. Make sure they are insured in case they do ruin anything.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
MC - you know, I never thought of removing the covers and washing them... hmm, interesting! We have 2 different sets that need cleaning, one microfiber and one that''s sort of a corduroy... the latter is the dog''s area and is the priority.
HH - I think I got shell shocked once I saw the price for all of the pieces... it came to about $1200! I think I''ll do it gradually!
soo - We vacuum pretty regularly but I''m starting to see discoloration on the arms and the dog''s couch is just generally stinky. The info from your dad is very helpful. I''m off to check the labels.
Thank you all for chiming in!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 4:28:12 PM
Author: PaulaW
MC - you know, I never thought of removing the covers and washing them... hmm, interesting! We have 2 different sets that need cleaning, one microfiber and one that''s sort of a corduroy... the latter is the dog''s area and is the priority.
HH - I think I got shell shocked once I saw the price for all of the pieces... it came to about $1200! I think I''ll do it gradually!
soo - We vacuum pretty regularly but I''m starting to see discoloration on the arms and the dog''s couch is just generally stinky. The info from your dad is very helpful. I''m off to check the labels.
Thank you all for chiming in!
The covers I put in the washer are microfiber. We have another set made of chenile and I''d never put them in the washer. Where did you get your set from? Maybe call the manufacturer and see what they say. I wouldn''t put the corduroy in the washer - seems like that would shrink.

And, remember, HANG dry!
1.gif

LesleyA34

Rough_Rock
Paula_W:

This completely off topic- but I was browsing the forums and saw your profile picture and for a moment thought i had uploaded a picture of my boxer puppy! Your baby looks IDENTICAL to mine.

I was just wondering if you got your dog from a breeder and if the dogs are from the same litter... strange I know!

Thanks!

lesley A

lulu_bug.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Paulaw, We have a bissel that we love and use for all the carpets and upholstered furniture but it is hard work, it all depends what you have more of, time or money, I would not wash the covers you can take off, I did that with some pillow covers that came with a chair and they just did not look the same after that.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a set cleaned when we moved into the house. Everything had been stored for several years and was all musty.

full size couch: $120
love seat: $80
2 - 100% wool rugs: $100 (this was a discount, should have been $150-200 for the two)

If I could manage it, I''d have all of our couches and rugs cleaned once a year.
We do vacuum everything regularly, it is just impressive the difference in appearance and smell when it is cleaned professionaly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results