shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgraders/Setting Changers- Being happy with what you have?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Upgraders/Setting Changers- Being happy with what you ha

Rhea|1340316908|3221362 said:
Dancing Fire|1340235268|3220663 said:
ladies,don't you feel sorry for your hubby having to put up with all these "upgrades"?... :wacko:

You of all people are very aware of how much watches cost. Nope, I don't feel sorry for him. He is building a nice collection as am I.
but hey...it is my money... :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal|1340314335|3221323 said:
I wouldn't want to upgrade if it meant giving up what I have (trading in). Not only am I sentimental, but my jewelry is usually a marker of some sort of event in my life. Years from now, it would be fun to show my daughter - this is what we could get when I was engaged, this when you were born, this when I turned 40, etc. Maybe when I am 60, I will finally get a honker. Or maybe not. But either way, I've always been happy with my bling and the memories they are for me.
or a "hooker"... if you were a guy... :lol:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maria D|1340204836|3220173 said:
luv2sparkle|1340200647|3220130 said:
I probably won't ever upgrade again. I am pretty happy with what I have, but that can easily slip away if I spend too much time looking at other peoples rings that I find beautiful. Sometimes, I don't even wear my ring for days. I spent a long time wishing for it. I think it is beautiful and the stacking set I always wanted but I think I am done.

I have kind of moved on to other things. I love to quilt so I just bought a top of the line sewing machine that costs the price of a small nice used car. That is not to say I will never buy another piece of jewelry, but for now I will take a break.

Sorry, threadjack:

ooooooooo, new sewing machine! Whadja get?

I got a Bernina 830 LE, with a new cabinet and chest! I am going to Chicago for the VIP seminar too!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock

DH and I were talking about this last night. My 5-stone is my "upgrade" - though it's not a true upgrade in the sense that I still have my wedding set (because I still love it and happily wear it - I just wanted something with more bling) and technically, even though the total weight is significantly more than my e-ring, my little EC solitaire from my e-ring is still the largest diamond I own. Anyway, I said something along the lines of "while I'm overjoyed with what I have, I can't kick the feeling that I'm still a little bummed that I don't have one larger diamond." DH looked at me like I was crazy, and said "Well, who says you can't have one?" - I had in my mind that I was done with rings for my left hand, but my DH, who apparently knows me a little better than I know myself, said that he understands that later down the line, my tastes will change, and I'll want something different. True story.

My sentiments are a lot more like T-gal's. I'm not a true upgrader in the sense that I'd never be comfortable trading in my original diamond/setting, and I like that my rings represent our milestones together. Plus, I just really love my original set. But I don't have the expectation that I would be happy wearing the same ring/set forever. Like a lot of PSers, I mix up rings on the left hand and don't wear the same set every day anyway (and strangely enough, what I wear most often is my plain band). Options are good.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have upgraded in the past mostly due to quality issues and wanting to start over with a new vendor, at this point, I am perfectly happy with my ER and would never "upgrade" it. Adding new rings is a different story though, that I have no problems with!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

I can't say I have upgraded as such, because I haven't traded in my original e ring (GIA 0.52ct). I always knew I wanted a 1 ct but I could never part with my original e ring. Being a bit sentimental like Trav/Gal I thought I would just give it to my daughter one day.

My dh bought my 1.15ct for a special b day and the original plan was to wear it on my right hand. This did not happen, I wear it on my wedding hand. My 7 seven stone is my right hand ring.

I would still love to upgrade/change the setting on my 1.15ct because I have never been happy with it. It's a four claw setting and the setting is not secure. Maybe in 2 years time for our 25 wedding anniversary I might go larger and Dh is quite happy for me to do. I must say, I love DS 1.6 in the Tiffany setting and agree it's classic and will never date. So I can see I will go down that track eventually and that will be enough for me. :naughty:

I think we all have wish lists and a desire to change from time to time, I don't see anything unhealthy or obsessive about it. It's all about your priorities and making sure your comfortable about what you are doing. If you can afford to do, why not!

BTW When I mentioned that I would be happy to upgrade to new setting and larger stone and that would be it - Ladies, that did not apply to other pieces e.g. earrings, pendants etc, lol :wavey:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle|1340328421|3221519 said:
I probably won't ever upgrade again. I am pretty happy with what I have, but that can easily slip away if I spend too much time looking at other peoples rings that I find beautiful. Sometimes, I don't even wear my ring for days. I spent a long time wishing for it. I think it is beautiful and the stacking set I always wanted but I think I am done.

I have kind of moved on to other things. I love to quilt so I just bought a top of the line sewing machine that costs the price of a small nice used car. That is not to say I will never buy another piece of jewelry, but for now I will take a break.

Sorry, threadjack:

I got a Bernina 830 LE, with a new cabinet and chest! I am going to Chicago for the VIP seminar too!

oh, lucky you! I'm jealous.

I've had my 1090S (it's my avatar) since 1996. I once considered upgrading to the 1630 but it would have meant trading it in and I couldn't do it. haha, I can't even upgrade my sewing machine (if it means giving up the one I've got), much less my ring!

Have fun at the seminar.

Bella4135

Rough_Rock

I am very new here, not too many posts but this thread caught my interest because I am here researching "upgrade" ideas. My diamond in my ering is about .52 and my husband has always said we would upgrade at our 10 year anniversary--just hit our 9th and I am already researching--does that give you an idea about how ready and excited I am about this?! I do love my ring but have always thought asthetically, that my diamond is too small for the setting and want one that is more proportional. I love looking at other settings and the idea of other settings but could never stop wearing my current one.

Anyways, I am in total shock at the size diamonds I am seeing here and the number of upgrades ladies get within small timeframes of being married--I have even seen upgrades before marriage! I have noticed that forums in general, while insightful and informational, sometimes have the effect of normalizing certain behavior. (I hope that makes sense.). There will always be some ring with a bigger diamond, better diamond, better setting...I am absolutely not knocking them, I am just in awe.. :shock: But with anything, upgrades included, if you can afford it and your spouse is good with it, then do what you want! Life is too short!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maria D|1340455772|3222336 said:
luv2sparkle|1340328421|3221519 said:

Sorry, threadjack:

oh, lucky you! I'm jealous.

I've had my 1090S (it's my avatar) since 1996. I once considered upgrading to the 1630 but it would have meant trading it in and I couldn't do it. haha, I can't even upgrade my sewing machine (if it means giving up the one I've got), much less my ring!

Have fun at the seminar.

Give up my old machine? No way. I have an extra bedroom off of my sewing loft, so my old machine and cabinet went in that room. It will be my overflow space. I have traded in the past, but they don't give you as much as they used to and really don't want old machines. I think they expect everyone to ebay or craigs-list them. But my old machine will be my 'travel' machine since the new one weighs so much.

Sorry for the thread jack!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

could you be happy with your current diamond and/or setting/wedding band? Could you wear it, not thinking of what you would change? What would it take to not change your set anymore?

What it took to not make me change it anymore was the ridiculous 50% price increases in settings and last year's approximate 34% price hike for diamonds of the size I was considering upgrading to. Since my trade-in is limited to the price I paid for it, I really cannot "give" it back to the original vendor for so little money, which is probably less than the wholesale on it now. I have a superbly cut H&A that looks like a 1.5ct to most people, and it's a gorgeous diamond, so I guess I quit. I must indulge my passions with sims now, thank you. :mrgreen:

If I upgrade, it will be via the secondhand market, estate sales and the like. I was fortunate to buy some really nice diamond rings and used semi mounts that way from 2004-2006, and I am quite well-supplied with rings now, haha.

When I was married (almost 10 years,) I changed the original e-ring setting only once, and then got a channel set 1ct diamond wedding band, but only after my original 6mm domed wedding band started causing painful problems with my knuckle and I was forced to switch to a narrower width of wedding band.

jacy

Shiny_Rock

This is an interesting topic, because I had always wanted a diamond that is 1+ct and with a higher clarity than the one I have now. I've been married for 21 years and worn the same pear solitaire for 22 years (it's .78ct SI1, F). When hubby and I picked it out, we only looked at two "well-cut" pears...a .50 (vvs) and the .78 (SI) which we ended up going with. Jeweler said the .78 "wasn't as nice quality," so that just stuck with me. I have since learned from all the info on PS that my pear has specs that fall within excellent cut range...plus it has strong blue fluor, an interesting characteristic. It also has a nice spread and looks close in size to a 1ct rb. I've reached a point after all the years of wearing the pear that I couldn't bring myself to trade it in for an upgrade. These days I'm feeling happy and content with what I have, but I'm still game to add another diamond band for an anniversary! Last year for our 20th, we traded in my worn out channel set eternity wedding band and purchased a 7-stone shared prong band. I love the new band, but I was very sad to see the original one go. It made me realize just how sentimental I am about this stuff!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

Am I happy with what I have? No Sirie. Would I upgrade? You bet your sweet bippie. I got engaged with a .20 diamond. At the time this was normal. We weren't even shown rings with bigger diamonds, there was clearly an assumption operating at jewelry stores that young people like us (we were 27!) couldn't afford more for an engagement ring. Actually we could have. I remember thinking a woman at work's, .28 diamond was huge. I was very content with my small stone in a pretty setting and it suited my younger self. Roll on a few years though and discovering through the internet Pricescope and jewelers such as Brian Gavin, I began to realise I could get a beautiful upgrade for much less than I would have to pay here in Australia for something similar. I'm hoping my upgrade is going to be arriving in the next day or two.

jacy

Shiny_Rock

Polished, that's pretty wild that you weren't shown bigger diamonds than a .20ct! Congrats on your upgrade! I'm sure you're very excited. Would you like to share with us what you're getting?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

Whoa thanks for your post jacy. My ring arrived approximately an hour ago - yay for efficient fedex deliveries! I absolutely adore it. I've already written a thank you/appreciation letter to Jamie and the BGD team. I prayed I'd like it while I was ripping apart those impenetrable fedex boxes you have to battle with before you are able to reach your treasure. I chose their Jurica engagement ring with a .728 carat Hearts and Arrows G VS2 diamond. It's simply stunning so much more gorgeous sitting on my finger than the pictures ever show. I'd love to post photos but have to wait until I get access to a camera with a wide lense. The diamond just looks whopping to me and I'm so amazed and delighted to have this gorgeous ring.

It was wild (good word!) not to be offered choice of diamond size at the few jewelery stores we went to; although thinking back, it was equally wild that it didn't cross our minds to ask. It was a nice quality .20 though and I've recently had it reset in a setting that suits and makes the most of its small size.

jacy

Shiny_Rock

Polished, you'll have to start a new thread once you have photos for us. I'd love to see it! It sounds very beautiful and I'm so glad that you're happy with it. As for your precious .20ct stone, I'm glad it's found a new setting for you to enjoy and keep wearing!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

If for some reason, I can't/don't ever change my ring again, either my interest change or finances change, yes I would be happy with it. I used to look at my rings and feel unhappy with them and want a change. Now I look at my ring and like it and daydream about the next thing I will like, too, whether it comes along sooner or later. It helps that my ring cost very little and is very big and bligy, two things that are essential for a ring being "mind clean" for me, I have learned.

bebe

Ideal_Rock

Definitely want to reset and possibly upgrade or at least get a better center stone. I waited 10 yrs to do this and realized I rushed into it thinking I finally knew what I wanted. Not so sure now. And yeah, that;s what being on PS for eons will do to ya!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have had my e-ring for 7 years and have never changed it. However, I have been thinking about a "downgrade" for the past 6 months or so. I do think my e-ring is beautiful but it no longer is practical (change of career) and I rarely wear it. I think maybe getting a smaller/less flashy diamond would get worn more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results