shape
carat
color
clarity

UK Pricescopers- sending jewellery abroad.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of having my engagement ring reset, but having it done by Sally at Heart of Water. I would have to send my ring out to her and she would reset it and then send it back. For insurance purposes, it would have to be marked up to the full value of the item, however I am concerned that I would have to pay import duties bringing it back into the country. The value of the work done would be about $500, however the total value of the ring is much more. I bought the original ring in the UK and have paid all the VAT already. I don't want to mark the item and be forced to pay VAT a second time, but I don't want the package to be uninsured or marked up to the wrong value in case it goes missing and I am out of pocket.

I want a bezel setting, so it is important that I send the original ring out so that Sally can set it. If I wanted a claw setting then I would have her make up the setting and send it out to me.

Has anybody got any advice about what is the best way to proceed?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sapphire Lover,

The way this works, I think, is that you send the ring insured for the full value. Sally would do the same. You will then have to pay VAT and customs, however if you call HM Customs, they will send you a refund form. As long as you have some proof of original value of the ring, you can claim the money back. You can always confirm this by calling their helpline.

It is a nuisance but I can't think of a way around it. Last summer I bought some earrings from the US and sent them back, having paid for VAT and customs. I then submitted a refund request, together with proof of return postage and I got the money back. They still hold your money for up to 28 days, but when I complained they said it's not their responsibility as they didn't order the earrings :angryfire:

Still, if I really had my heart set out on a piece of jewellery I would do it.

dinamit

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just out of interest, how are you sending it back? I couldn't find anyone who would ship jewellery?

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I ve done it a few times. Your jeweller will have to declare the value (inc the stone you sent her). Then (depending on who is delivering it) you will get a letter in the door saying you have to pay such and such. Then you ring customs, they will ask you to send proof that you only paid the jeweler such and such (a receipt/email from them will do), you have to send this along with a letter saying they have permission to recall your item to recalculate the VAT etc. Its a pain, but it does work....

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Omg. I think this is going to turn out far too complicated. I hadn't even thought that I wouldn't be able to get it shipped out. I know you can't always get loose stones shipped but thought complete items of jewellery were ok. Added to that I have no idea how much my ring cost (yes, I know in PS terms that is unheard of), I just have the insurance valuation.

It seems like such a logistical nightmare. And I don't want to know how much DH spent on it. Urch, why does Sally do such beautiful elegant bezels at such reasonable prices. Ive never seen anything like them in the UK, either IRL or posted on these boards.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sapphirelover, it is more complicated, but it is possible to have it shipped to the US. If you go to Fedex etc as a customer without an account, they won't ship jewellery but if you get a shipping label from the vendor who already has an account with a courier and just schedule a pick up, you can ship it that way with insurance.

It is a little more complicated than shipping within the US, but it can be done. You will need the value of the stone, and a customs declaration form before you send it, so you aren't charged import tax on it twice when it's returned. For the value, a written valuation or note from a jeweller stating the value of the stone will be accepted by HMRC, on business headed notepaper.

Good luck!

Jen

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think Sally is in Thailand?

You could try contacting TH March and see if they will do insurance for you and have suggestions about shipping.

To be honest I think you would be better having the work done in the UK - take some photos along of the sort of thing you like and see if they can design something along the same lines (without breaching her copyright of course).

Vision of Diamonds at Boutique 36, Hatton Gardens has been recommended to me as a good place to get custom work done and as they do it themselves rather than sending it out it cuts out a layer of middle-men and keeps the price down a bit.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohhh... My ring is actually insured with TH March! I could actually speak to them about it.

I love Sally's work and am just not sure what to do.

I've seen the website for the place you recommended. I just wish they'd put more pictures of the custom work that they have done. PS has spoiled me for delicate bezels. I need to see really detailed close ups of actual work done.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Might be worth emailing them and asking them to send you some more pics of their work. I believe they are very picky about quality and finish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results