shape
carat
color
clarity

Two makeup questions

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
1. What kind of mascara do you use? I want one that has both volume AND length but seem to just find each one separately.

2. I have been searching for an eyeliner - a good one! - that has an actual brush tip, not a felt tip. Every once in awhile I can find one at Walgreens but nowhere else, it seems. Help!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I am using Benefit Bad Gal mascara. It adds volume, but the only way to seperate my lashes with that one is to use one of those little comb thingies. Some of the Lancome ones are great at seperating lashes, but they do not add as much volume and they're a lot more expensive. The Benefit is $19 at Sephora.

Oh, a fun thing you can do is order GWP mascaras in lots on eBay. I've done that where I've gotten 4 Lancome minis to play around with for a reasonable price. I do the same with other products - like face creams - where I pay 1/2 price by buying GWPs ones.

Not sure about the eye liner. For a few years, I've been using Urban Decay 24/7 in Zero (black) but that is a pencil one. It's great though...glides on like butter but stays put. I also use UD potion primer to help set it into place.

ETA - oh, and Sephora has a great return policy so you can buy a couple and test them out and then return one if it sucks. I had tried Smashbox and this was right before Halloween and every night I always rub my eyes and one night I had done so and my son came in and saw me and asked if I was going to be the Grim Reaper for Halloween. I looked in a mirror and my entire eye/below it was smeared with black! It would have made for a great costume.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MonkeyPie|1289323223|2759183 said:
1. What kind of mascara do you use? I want one that has both volume AND length but seem to just find each one separately.

2. I have been searching for an eyeliner - a good one! - that has an actual brush tip, not a felt tip. Every once in awhile I can find one at Walgreens but nowhere else, it seems. Help!

When I was 22 I worked for Benefit Cosmetics as an account coordinator, I got to try out a lot of makeup and I will tell you- this holds true to this day:

1) Mascara- I have oily skin and find that my mascara actually runs a lot but if I use the waterproof it totally won't come off...The one that has worked the best for me is Lash Blast and also Voluminous- those are the BEST that I have found that will make mine look LONGER and defined with volume.

2) I had the hardest time with liners and pencils ALWAYS smeared and came off. If you are comfortable using a brush, Benefit actually has the best kit- it is a brush that is bent at the end and is very fine, they have these eyeliners that are compressed and in little containers that you use with the brush and water to make a paste of sorts- you then apply it and it stays all day and works like a charm.

Brush:
http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/Benefit-get-bent-liner-brush/dp/B001BM7SQ0?ie=UTF8&id=Benefit%20get%20bent%20liner%20brush&field_availability=-1&field_launch-date=-1y&field_browse=51084011&searchSize=12&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=51084011&searchKeywords=liners&field_keywords=liners&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank

Liner:
http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/babe-cake-eye-lining-kit/dp/B000FBLT9U
(I love that they come with both colors now, I use the black mainly but sometimes the brown is good- it comes a little light if you add too much water, though. FYI)

Hope that helps! :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually use two different mascaras (drugstore brands), one with a fat brush for volume, and one with a really skinny brush for length after I apply the first coat with the fat brush. I know, I know...but I've never found the perfect mascara, either.

For eyeliner, I stopped using pencils and the like years ago and now use a brush and shadow. It stays put and the brush makes it easy to get a thin or wide line, or taper on both upper and lower lashlines. I like MAC brushes and NARS shadows.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
[/quote]

2) I had the hardest time with liners and pencils ALWAYS smeared and came off.[/quote]

The only way pencil will stay in place is with a primer. Urban Decay's Potion Primer for eye shadow works great. After washing face, you just put it on, then put on eye shadow and then pencil liner. I use to have the problem where it'd smear onto my upper lid, but since using the primer, this hasn't happened.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

2) I had the hardest time with liners and pencils ALWAYS smeared and came off.[/quote]

The only way pencil will stay in place is with a primer. Urban Decay's Potion Primer for eye shadow works great. After washing face, you just put it on, then put on eye shadow and then pencil liner. I use to have the problem where it'd smear onto my upper lid, but since using the primer, this hasn't happened.[/quote]

MC- that is AWESOME. I had used the primer that Benefit had before, it was for no creases in the shadows but it always stood no chance against my eyes. LOL, I used this stuff called 'She-laq' that I put over the liner and that worked for me. I need to check that out, that would be great if I can get something that will keep my liner AND shadow in place. :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Gracias, ladies!

I do use the Urban Decay Primer Potion, I love it even though I have to cut up the bottle to get the rest out or get jipped out of half my money :rolleyes: They really need a new container for it.

Not long ago I tried the gel eyeliner and really liked it, except I couldn't get nearly as thin a line with it. Maybe I just need to practice.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MonkeyPie|1289328172|2759258 said:
Gracias, ladies!

I do use the Urban Decay Primer Potion, I love it even though I have to cut up the bottle to get the rest out or get jipped out of half my money :rolleyes: They really need a new container for it.

Not long ago I tried the gel eyeliner and really liked it, except I couldn't get nearly as thin a line with it. Maybe I just need to practice.

Practice makes perfect, seriously. I had to do liner on so many people when we would have events that I got to be a pro. LOL, I honestly struggle with the ones that are in a tube, though. Not sure why, but the previously mentioned brush, is easy as pie. Ohh...pie....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1289328172|2759258 said:
Gracias, ladies!

You can pry out the stopper and get an additional 2/3 the amount of product. Mine lasts forever after discovering that trick.

Just use a butter knife!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think L'Oreal makes a brush tip liquid liner.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Mascara-I wear MAC zoom lash and sometimes I put on falsies. I find these at Target or Walmart the $3 ones.

Eyeliner-I use a brush and the gel liner that comes in a little pot from MAC. I always get complients on it. A little pricey but lasts FOREVER and I wear mostly everyday. :tongue:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
UD is coming out with a squeeze tube for their primer potion, btw. FINALLY! I tried other primers, but none were as good as the UDPP.

For liners, I like gel liners with a tiny brush for a defined line (I use Bobbi Brown's) or UD's 24/7 pencil if I want a smoky line.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1289327076|2759243 said:

2) I had the hardest time with liners and pencils ALWAYS smeared and came off.

The only way pencil will stay in place is with a primer. Urban Decay's Potion Primer for eye shadow works great. After washing face, you just put it on, then put on eye shadow and then pencil liner. I use to have the problem where it'd smear onto my upper lid, but since using the primer, this hasn't happened.[/quote]

MC- that is AWESOME. I had used the primer that Benefit had before, it was for no creases in the shadows but it always stood no chance against my eyes. LOL, I used this stuff called 'She-laq' that I put over the liner and that worked for me. I need to check that out, that would be great if I can get something that will keep my liner AND shadow in place. :)[/quote]

Galeteia - Haven't seen the squeeze tube that comes out, but I swear by prying off that stopper. Makes it a bit messy but still gives you so much more product. Learned that on Makeupalley. hahaha ETA - I hope they don't raise the price once the squeeze version comes out. Everything is becoming insanely expensive. I no longer can drag my DH in there with me!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love ELF's liquid liner. you can get it at Target right now for $1.

I use a combination of Lash Fusion (big fat purple tube) and Voluminous ni Carbon Black - but the Voluminous I have is waterproof and smears on my lower lid. It bums me out, because otherwise it's the perfect mascara.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I use Physicians Formula mascara. Love love love it and its not super expensive either. Give both volume and length, its perfect!

Are you talking about liquid eyeliner? If so, Revlon makes a really good liquid eyeliner that I have been using for years. It stays on all day too!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
princesss|1289333519|2759366 said:
I love ELF's liquid liner. you can get it at Target right now for $1.

I use a combination of Lash Fusion (big fat purple tube) and Voluminous ni Carbon Black - but the Voluminous I have is waterproof and smears on my lower lid. It bums me out, because otherwise it's the perfect mascara.

Dude, I swear by this stuff, just use the brush and put it over your bottom lashes, it won't ever smear but will come off with makeup remover or warm soapy water.

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/Benefit-she-laq/dp/B000G6O036

I put it on my eye makeup when I am at the beach or pool (mainly when I am in Vegas, LOL, when I have some on in the pool)- never worry about it smearing. :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much ladies! I am going to head to Sephora this weekend to find my perfect mascara, and Target for the ELF liquid liner. Cause how could it get better than $1? Awesome!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The world's best mascara is Diorshow Mascara by Dior! I have been buying mascara for over 30 years, and this is THE ONE!

I hunted all over the Sephora site, and it's the highest rated of all the mascaras, there are even pictures from some reviewers.

When I use it, I look like I am wearing fake lashes. It is unbelievable. :love: :love:

I curl my lashes (just after a shower, when they are barely damp) and I wanted something that would keep the curl UP instead of making it droopy. This does that. It is the best.

I've tried the other Dior mascaras, and even they don't come close to this one.

:arrow: SAVE THE DIOR RECEIPTS: if you google dior diva, you'll find the site where you can send in your receipts for freebies from Dior.

My DD used the urban decay primer and it lasts ALL day on her. It's amazing, her shadow doesn't budge one speck and she has oily skin.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I have blonde, sparse eyelashes and the best mascara I've found is Dior Iconic. Since it doesn't clump, the trick is to apply it generously to get both volume and length. I used to like Diorshow, but I had problems with it flaking.

I know it was already mentioned, but I also want to recommend the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner (I use Bourbon). Unlike other ones I've used, this one stays put all day and is easy to apply.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
For mascara, I've tried them all and the one that gives me the LONG lashes with tons of volume without clumping or flaking is Lancome Hypnose Drama! It's simply amazing and works best when you wiggle the wand when you apply because it is somewhat of a thick formula.

I'm all over the place on liners, I use them all: pencils, pots, liquids, powders...and I love them all. ALthough, I get the most compliments when I draw my liner using the Mac Pot black cream liner!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love Last Stiletto (Maybeline?) it really gives a lot of length, and I apply 3 coats which adds to volume.

As for liner, I have used Revlon Colorstay for YEARS! It never runs, and it's easier to control than a liquid liner, it's kind of like a twist up pencil crayon.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my clinique mascara don't remember what it is called, but its in a white bottle right now, and has this really unique curved brush, not your typical brush -it doesn't have bristle all over (its green on the tip) (sorry I just can't remember what is called) I can only wear this or the maybelline illegal lengths.

as for eyeliner, I use the AVON ultra thin(or fine) eyeliner (problem is I go through too many as those suckers breaks off too easily when I twist the pen)

les12

Shiny_Rock
For mascara, I am really liking Makeup Forever's Smoky Lash (can get a bit clumpy so I usually comb through it after applying).

For eyeliner, my favorite is Clinique's cream liner, comes in a little pot. If you get a tiny eyeliner brush it is soo easy to apply! Sephora makes a good teeny tiny brush that I really like.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T said:
I love my clinique mascara don't remember what it is called, but its in a white bottle right now, and has this really unique curved brush, not your typical brush -it doesn't have bristle all over (its green on the tip) (sorry I just can't remember what is called) I can only wear this or the maybelline illegal lengths.

as for eyeliner, I use the AVON ultra thin(or fine) eyeliner (problem is I go through too many as those suckers breaks off too easily when I twist the pen)

The clinique mascara is called High Lengths Mascara.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't resist...

For mascara, my recommendation is easy...

I would splurge on this and go for the Shiseido Mascara. It comes in various product types for particular needs (volume, length...) but the product itself is universally amazing. A-MAZ-ING. The formula used is never clumpy or goopy and provides a very smooth application which leaves your lashes looking plumped up, yet always natural.

The only con is the price tag...it's checks out at around $25.00 or more if you order online with shipping. But, I have to say, it's worth every single penny. Even when I was a broke cosmetology student I pinched pennies for this stuff...it's just that good.

Buy here:
http://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Makeup-Perfect-Mascara-BR602/dp/B002RC1DF0

For eyeliner I also have a suggestion followed by a recommendation....

I hate liquid liner...I'm just going to throw that out there. But the look is really fantastic when done correctly. My alternative to traditional liquid liner is this...

Using a smudge brush or eye definer brush, use a dark (black, chocolate, plum, navy) shadow...take a water bottle lid and put a smidgen of water inside...wet the tip of the smudge brush, take a dap of shadow and working close to the lash line apply in a dotting manner.

The smudge brush is an excellent tool for smokey eyes and it's perfect for messing up the lash line to give a dramatic, color saturated look. I suggest this for more advanced artists or people who know their way around the cosmetics.

The eye define is really easy...it's pretty much no fail.

Buy here:
http://www.pauladorf.com/p-191-smudge-brush.aspx
http://www.pauladorf.com/p-187-eye-definer-brush.aspx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results