shape
carat
color
clarity

Trick Question?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I had an interview a while back and I dogged a question that came my way with a smile (treating like a rhetorical question) but for some reason the question came back today and I was wondering what you all thought the best answer is-- if someone was to answer (instead of smiling inanely).

Question: "So you work for X COMPANY, and you are looking for a change? Well I can''t say I''m surprised, they have a reputation for high turnover. I guess it''s a bit of a pressure cooker there, right?"

Me: Smile. Hope they don''t see the panic.

What, oh wise PSers, SHOULD I have said (if anything).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think dodging the question was the correct thing to do. They were basically asking you to badmouth your current employer. Usually that''s not a really good thing to do during an interview.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the truth of the matter? I'm guessing it *is* a high turnover, pressure-cooker place but you don't say so outright.

Will have to think about what I'd say -- probably would deflect with something like "Every place has its unique challenges but at xxx place I've certainly learned xxx and yyyy." Meaning deflect the catty comment with positive things you've taken away from your experience there - despite the fact you want to move on NOW.

Because if you'll gossip about YOUR firm you'll surely gossip about THEIR firm. If they'll do it with ya they'll do it TO ya. Yanno?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think smiling is such a bad thing - it's exactly what I would've done. There's really nothing that can defend or oppose that statement without insulting someone - either it's a pressure cooker and you're looking for a "lazier position", or the interviewer making incorrect assumptions and you then have to point that out directly.

I think the worst thing someone could do in that situation is jump right into a spiel on how well they work under pressure, but a simple statement like deco suggests is perfect.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would have smiled as well.

So they were looking for you to bash the company??

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2009 4:02:27 PM
Author: decodelighted
What''s the truth of the matter? I''m guessing it *is* a high turnover, pressure-cooker place but you don''t say so outright.

Will have to think about what I''d say -- probably would deflect with something like ''Every place has its unique challenges but at xxx place I''ve certainly learned xxx and yyyy.'' Meaning deflect the catty comment with positive things you''ve taken away from your experience there - despite the fact you want to move on NOW.

Because if you''ll gossip about YOUR firm you''ll surely gossip about THEIR firm. If they''ll do it with ya they''ll do it TO ya. Yanno?
I''d say the same thing. That''s weird that they''d try to get you to bash the company you work for. Like Deco said, I''d try to turn their negative question into a positive answer.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Well dodgeing the question and smiling is ok...

Perhaps say something...like...I don''t really know about that but I work well under pressure, and adapt quickly to change...
38.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think they were trying to get you to bash the company.

I was asked a similar question in an interview. I responded with something along the lines of "Jobs aren''t always easy, but you still put in your best and you get the best." That is why I was offered the job. The bosses told me that''s the kind of answer they look for. They know that the "new" job isn''t always going to be roses and they need to know that when that happens, you''ll still plug away and not turn your back on the company. In fact, I gave the new place a start date and then had to postpone because of a situation that came up at my "current" employment. I thought they''d retract the offer but they were happy that I wasn''t willing to leave the other place high and dry.

Interviewers are sneaky.

I don''t think smiling was wrong, but bashing definitely would have been.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I would have responded with something along the lines of searching for a company where you have room to grow and where you feel challenged...but you know, with smarter words and more put together
3.gif

The questions they typically ask are in search of something. They don''t want you to badmouth the company you worked for but they usually look to see where your mind is when you say you wanted a change.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I was confused too. . It wasn't the first time someone has commented on my company's turnover rate, but it was the first time I was put into that position. Either I'm bashing them, or I look lazy. Not good. I like the suggestions in here (as always) and will file this one away in my 'interview script'... "Every job has it's unique challenges. But if you but in your best, you get the best out of it. I've learned a lot at X COMPANY and the experience has been invaluable, but I am looking for a change."... or something. Less wordy.

THANK YOU everyone.
21.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any question where they might be fishing for you to be negative, is one where you need to make it a positive as this thread has shown.

Too bad, ya can't say... Between you and me, this job sucks , the pressure is crazy and so is my boss!!!!
31.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
"yeah, we installed a revolving door and the org chart is on a wipe off whiteboard"
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"Every workplace has its challenges. I''m not afraid of a challenge." (said with a smile)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Lisa... actually PP hit the nail on the head. There might as well be a revolving door and a whiteboard!

Holly I like that. Short and to the point. My script has been rewritten accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results