shape
carat
color
clarity

Trayvon Martin. Why are we not talking about this?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's being charged with 2nd degree murder.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I've been extremely busy lately, but I had to come in to say, I am very happy that he has finally been arrested and charged!!

Now, I hope that the investigation is done right & no one drops the ball, so that he gets a fair trial, & if he is truly guilty, he gets convicted with just punishment.

Although I'm happy about this, it is bittersweet because Trayvon Martin still lost his life. It still makes me very sad. :(sad

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1334205064|3169046 said:
I've been extremely busy lately, but I had to come in to say, I am very happy that he has finally been arrested and charged!!

Now, I hope that the investigation is done right & no one drops the ball, so that he gets a fair trial, & if he is truly guilty, he gets convicted with just punishment.

Although I'm happy about this, it is bittersweet because Trayvon Martin still lost his life. It still makes me very sad. :(sad

Me too. It still doesn't fix anything, but I guess it's something.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, anyone following this. I was confused about something. There was a rumor of a grand jury, but in today's broadcast the special prosecutor said she filed an information. So was the grand jury not convened, or was it convened and the information is just way Florida files all indictments, even if they handed down by the grand jury? If they didn't convene the grand jury, I really wish they had, it would make me feel better that they had their ducks in a row. I don't want justice to be skirted because someone decided the pressure to arrest was too much.

The world's watching, and I'm one of them. Let's see if George gets his SYG trail next, it seems to be the next step if I understand the law correctly. Stupid law.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334221442|3169113 said:
Hey, anyone following this. I was confused about something. There was a rumor of a grand jury, but in today's broadcast the special prosecutor said she filed an information. So was the grand jury not convened, or was it convened and the information is just way Florida files all indictments, even if they handed down by the grand jury? If they didn't convene the grand jury, I really wish they had, it would make me feel better that they had their ducks in a row. I don't want justice to be skirted because someone decided the pressure to arrest was too much.

The world's watching, and I'm one of them. Let's see if George gets his SYG trail next, it seems to be the next step if I understand the law correctly. Stupid law.

The Prosecuter cancled the Grand Jury. I do not like the smell of that. It either means that the evidence is so obvious that there is little doubt of an conviction even given the Florida Laws; or that the evidence is so weak that it is unlikely to make it through a grand jury. I fear the latter. I too worry that it may be that the charge was mainly due to political pressure.

Latest word our of Florida that I have seen is that there is a fair amount of debate on if the judge will dismiss during the preliminary hearing for lack of evidence.

Have a great day,

Perry

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
perry|1334230360|3169150 said:
Latest word our of Florida that I have seen is that there is a fair amount of debate on if the judge will dismiss during the preliminary hearing for lack of evidence.

People who think that's going to happen can keep dreaming.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad he's been arrested. It only took 46 days from when he murdered Trayvon Martin. :rolleyes:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hey, anyone following this. I was confused about something. There was a rumor of a grand jury, but in today's broadcast the special prosecutor said she filed an information. So was the grand jury not convened, or was it convened

The grand jury handles any and all cases brought before it. It is already convened. Thus, she would not have convened a grand jury, nor did she dissolve one.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The grand jury was scheduled for April 10 by the first state attorney who was dealing with the case. He recused himself. Angela Corey, the special prosecutor who is handling the case now, historically has not used a grand jury and canceled the proceeding. A grand jury is required only for first degree murder in Florida.

Next step is bond hearing. Then, if Zimmerman is still maintaining this case is governed by the Stand Your Ground law, his attorney should file a motion to dismiss so Zimmerman gets an evidentiary hearing to determine the immunity issue.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1334230360|3169150 said:
I don't want justice to be skirted because someone decided the pressure to arrest was too much.

Perry-

I don't want justice to be skirted because there was NO pressure to arrest! Don't you think there should have been an arrest in the first place...if only to sort things out? Mr. Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty, but after he shot and killed Mr. Martin, shouldn't he have been arrested for it? In any reasonable place he would have been. In a primitive place, he was not. I, for one, am extremely glad that he there was pressure brought to bear until he was arrested. He should, of course, be presumed innocent of any crime. He may be legally innocent although he killed Mr. Martin. But in a civilized society, men don't shoot and kill other men with impunity. They don't shoot and kill other men without their actions being scrutinized!!!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1334238471|3169195 said:
I'm glad he's been arrested. It only took 46 days from when he murdered Trayvon Martin.

I'm going to go on the record as disagreeing with you on this statement, thing. I agree that Mr. Zimmerman shot and killed Mr. Martin. I reserve judgment on whether Mr. Zimmerman murdered Mr. Martin. "Murder" has to be proven and Mr. Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty. I have been appalled by Mr. Zimmerman's actions, but whether he is guilty of murder has not yet been proven to my satisfaction. I am just glad he has finally been arrested and that the matter is finally going to be heard. I am also delighted that the federal government will be pursuing the matter of whether Mr. Zimmerman violated Mr. Martin's civil rights.

Deb/AGBF

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1334241551|3169241 said:
The grand jury was scheduled for April 10 by the first state attorney who was dealing with the case. He recused himself. Angela Corey, the special prosecutor who is handling the case now, historically has not used a grand jury and canceled the proceeding. A grand jury is required only for first degree murder in Florida.

Next step is bond hearing. Then, if Zimmerman is still maintaining this case is governed by the Stand Your Ground law, his attorney should file a motion to dismiss so Zimmerman gets an evidentiary hearing to determine the immunity issue.

Yes, I remember that. A quick search turned up this:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/20/10775671-trayvon-martin-case-to-go-to-grand-jury-fla-state-attorney-announces

But my understanding, and I could be wrong, is that the Seminole County Grand Jury is already empaneled, and this was the date they were scheduled to meet next.

The members of the Grand Jury serve long term, something like six months, and it meets (and breaks) on a regular basis.

At least, this is how I read that the Seminole Grand Jury system works.

In any case, for anyone to suggest (as apparently many on the internet are doing) that this prosecuter has nefarious motivations in not taking this to a grand jury, when she's famous for not using a grand jury, and when only murder 1 requires a grand jury, there is no reason to think so. She said in the very beginning that she might not use one.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1334242379|3169255 said:
I'm glad he's been arrested. It only took 46 days from when he murdered Trayvon Martin.

I'm going to go on the record as disagreeing with you on this statement, thing. I agree that Mr. Zimmerman shot and killed Mr. Martin. I reserve judgment on whether Mr. Zimmerman murdered Mr. Martin. "Murder" has to be proven and Mr. Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty. I have been appalled by Mr. Zimmerman's actions, but whether he is guilty of murder has not yet been proven to my satisfaction. I am just glad he has finally been arrested and that the matter is finally going to be heard. I am also delighted that the federal government will be pursuing the matter of whether Mr. Zimmerman violated Mr. Martin's civil rights.

Deb/AGBF

It has been proven to mine. The murder is on tape. The victim screams, "Help!" over and over for something like 15 seconds. Bang. Silence. The prosecuter has this exactly right IMO. Murder 2. Murder. George Zimmerman is a murderer. I agree with Thing.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1334246406|3169323 said:

Deb/AGBF

It has been proven to mine. The murder is on tape. The victim screams, "Help!" over and over for something like 15 seconds. Bang. Silence. The prosecuter has this exactly right IMO. Murder 2. Murder. George Zimmerman is a murderer. I agree with Thing.

I can only hope that if either you or a loved one ever find yourselves facing a jury, that they will be responsible enough to listen to the evidence as presented in court, respect the judge's instructions and take heed of a much higher standard by which to convict you.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
beebrisk|1334247279|3169338 said:

Deb/AGBF

I can only hope that if either you or a loved one ever find yourselves facing a jury, that they will be responsible enough to listen to the evidence as presented in court, respect the judge's instructions and take heed of a much higher standard by which to convict you.

But here's the thing (no pun intended). Thing and I are not on the jury. And we are not being interviewed in the jury selection process. The process weeds out people who already have an opinion on guilty or innocence. So I would say to those of you who told us to trust the authorities on previous pages, that you should trust Angela Corey to do her job. I never said that he should not have a fair trial. The fact that I have an opinion means that I would not be a suitable juror in this case. Nothing more, nothing less.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1334248611|3169348 said:

Deb/AGBF

But here's the thing (no pun intended). Thing and I are not on the jury. And we are not being interviewed in the jury selection process. The process weeds out people who already have an opinion on guilty or innocence. So I would say to those of you who told us to trust the authorities on previous pages, that you should trust Angela Corey to do her job. I never said that he should not have a fair trial. The fact that I have an opinion means that I would not be a suitable juror in this case. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ditto ImDanny-well said!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Deb/AGBF
I can only hope that my loved ones and I are responsible enough to not kill anyone. Accidental, in self defense or otherwise.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock

And I can only hope that one day you will see the difference between people sharing their opinions as to the guilt of Zimmerman in a JEWELRY forum where there are no real consquences stemming from those opinions, and ACTUAL JURORS deliberating after AN ACTUAL TRIAL with ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES.

Kind of a big difference there...

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1334251368|3169369 said:
I can only hope that my loved ones and I are responsible enough to not kill anyone. Accidental, in self defense or otherwise.

Being responsible doesn't mean you can't accidentally kill someone, especially in self-defense. Obviously, this particular instance is a little different. However, if someone breaks into your house, with a gun, aims it at you, and your husband hits him/her in the head with a vase/bat- that could cause death. Does that mean your husband was irresponsible by defending you against an intruder with a gun?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Yahoo just posted a picture of GZ today...he looks so much thinner!! Although I'm sure if I shot someone, I would lose a ton of weight too, regardless if it were in self defense or not.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
littlelysser|1334259624|3169462 said:

And I can only hope that one day you will see the difference between people sharing their opinions as to the guilt of Zimmerman in a JEWELRY forum where there are no real consquences stemming from those opinions, and ACTUAL JURORS deliberating after AN ACTUAL TRIAL with ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES.

Kind of a big difference there...

It was about "mindset" in context of not really knowing exactly what happened. But thanks for pointing out the 'difference'. Geez, even Trayvon's mother, exhibiting more calm and more reason than I've seen here on this "jewelry forum", said this: “I believe it was an accident...I believe that it just got out of control, and he couldn’t turn the clock back.’’

17 pages and one arrest for 2nd degree murder later and it appears very few are yet satisfied.

I guess at this point I'd like to see even a remote bit of outrage (and an equal amount of media coverage) on the NBP's call to take Zimmerman "dead or alive" and to "suit up and boot up...train an army...to kill." Is THIS supposed to be tolerated in the US??? The hypocrisy is beyond mind-blowing.

And contrary to what you may be thinking, I think the white supremacists who showed up in Sanford need to go home and get a life, too.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think the special prosecuter, Angela Corey, did a great job explaining the charges and how the case will be handled . I was very impressed with her. I especially liked that she talked about and empathized with the victim, Trayvon Martin and his parents. Her concern was and is the victim, while making sure the rights of the accused are protected, according to the constitution. The bond hearing is next.

Many on this board wanted justice for the victim. Others wanted rights protection for the accused. It appears that justice is underway. It also appears there is more evidence than we have seen in the media. A voice analyst said the GZ told the truth when it was administered after the shooting. The same analyst said it was not GZ who was yelling for help on the tape. They could not positively identify TM's voice as they had no match. They just ruled out GZ. There was another voice analyst as well, but I don't remember what was written about him. GZ looked fine when he entered the police station 35 minutes later.

The prosecutor will fight the SYG defence vigorously and I understand there will cameras in the court. It will be on TV.

I am relieved that charges have been filed. My bleeding heart feels better.

Annette

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beebrisk|1334261093|3169481 said:
17 pages and one arrest for 2nd degree murder later and it appears very few are yet satisfied.

Very few where, beebrisk? On Pricescope? In the United States? In the world? And does it matter how many people are satisfied? In a way, I hope that it does; I hope that public outcry does have an effect on public officials. In another way, I would like to think that our democratic institutions would have, eventually, worked out so that justice prevailed even if the masses were not satisfied!

Back to your original point: I, for one, am quite satisfied with the outcome. I think that George Zimmerman needed to be brought to book for what he did. He does not, however, deserve to be tried in the press. He deserves a presumption of innocence.

Deb/AGBF

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sstephensid|1334260624|3169476 said:
Being responsible doesn't mean you can't accidentally kill someone, especially in self-defense. Obviously, this particular instance is a little different. However, if someone breaks into your house, with a gun, aims it at you, and your husband hits him/her in the head with a vase/bat- that could cause death. Does that mean your husband was irresponsible by defending you against an intruder with a gun?
What does that have to do with the topic at hand? My implication is that George Zimmerman was irresponsible by walking around with a firearm, and was probably a bit too eager to use it, if his failed career interests are any indication.

I would hope that everyone would defend themselves properly against home invasion.

Speaking of firearms brings up a thought. If Zimmerman had not had a gun on him that night, would we even be discussing this? Or would Trayvon still be with us? Did the mere existence of the weapon ensure that one person would not get through an encounter unscathed?

So, when are the gun control people going to come out and play?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I watched Angela Corey's press conference. I don't have a link but it's about 10 minutes and you can find it on YouTube (we can't link to YouTube). I can't recommend watching it highly enough! She is brilliant and so professional! She does talk about the process and about George Zimmerman's rights. Please do watch it before making any judgment about her or the process. I can't believe I'm saying this about a conservative Republican but she's wonderful. :cheeky:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="FrekeChild|1334266472|

So, when are the gun control people going to come out and play?[/quote]

i will turn in my guns when the bad guys are willing to.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1334266472|3169561 said:
sstephensid|1334260624|3169476 said:
What does that have to do with the topic at hand? My implication is that George Zimmerman was irresponsible by walking around with a firearm, and was probably a bit too eager to use it, if his failed career interests are any indication.

I would hope that everyone would defend themselves properly against home invasion.

Speaking of firearms brings up a thought. If Zimmerman had not had a gun on him that night, would we even be discussing this? Or would Trayvon still be with us? Did the mere existence of the weapon ensure that one person would not get through an encounter unscathed?

So, when are the gun control people going to come out and play?

I think the more telling question is, if Trayvon was the person with the gun and GZ was now dead, would we have had this conversation in the first place?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad he's been arrested. It only took 46 days from when he murdered Trayvon Martin. :rolleyes:
glad to hear that "JUDGE thing2" gave him a fair trial ... :bigsmile:

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1334266472|3169561 said:

I would imagine that GZ would not have been nearly so brave in chasing down these bad guys, (that look like there is something wrong with them, they are on drugs or something, just walking around looking at houses... ) had he not had a concealed weapon.

As was said on a Australian news piece I posted some time back, had this happened in Australia, the outcome would have been an assault, not a death. NOTHING good can come from allowing every person to have a gun. However, I know that is not an argument I am ever likely to win with a forum of mainly Americans. ;-)

Here's what i think happened - GZ came across TM, maybe TN turned and got verbally aggressive to him (as he knew had been followed, for all he knew GZ could have been a paedophile looking for a victim), maybe TM approached GZ. GZ drew his weapon as a warning, TM saw it and panicked, tried to grab it all the while yelling for help. During this scuffle, maybe GZ banged his head. GZ got the upper hand due to his extra body weight and shot TM.

Without the gun, there would still be 2 people alive. I don't for a minute think that TM would have beaten GZ to death.

Just my take on it - i am not ever gonna be on that jury!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="beebrisk|

I think the more telling question is, if Trayvon was the person with the gun and GZ was now dead, would we have had this conversation in the first place?[/quote]

nope, and if Trayvon was an Asian it wouldn't even be on the 6:00 news.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results