shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel essentials?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hello! Just wanted to know what people absolutely must bring when they go a-travelling? Both practical and impractical items welcome!
5.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
22.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on where you''re going.

$$ definitely, camera, book, sunscreen, sunglasses, a map, travel documentation, comfortable shoes and clothes.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to all that''s been mentioned, I''d say some filling snacks. We always pack beef jerkey and Easy Mac. DH & I have different eating habits, and packing food saves $$, for when one of us is just a little hungry, or need something to hold us over til mealtime.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chapstick for the plane.

Tampons if you''re going to have your period during the time of travel. In Australia, tampons don''t have the applicator, so this is a big deal for me.

Map (don''t expect the TI to always have them)

Notes of which restaurants to try. Food is important to me when I travel and I want to try and avoid as many tourist traps as possible.

A purse not easily snatched (usually that means cross body)

Sunglasses. If you wear prescription glasses of any kind (or contacts), take BACKUP.\

Insurance card

Electrical adaptors for my cell phone (don''t bother taking anything that is not dual voltage, btw. And never bother carrying around a hair dryer).

At least TWO pairs of comfy shoes.

A loose gameplan and if there are any must see places, notes as to what days it is closed.

A general understanding of how the public transportation works and the routes.

Camera, with plenty of memory cards, and batteries if it needs it. (If rechargable, the power adapter and a electrical adapter for it.)

And idea of the current currency exchange rate and a calculator (usualluy available on my cell phone).

Notes on how to say, Hello, Good bye, thank you, please, and Excuse me, can you speak English?" in the local language.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 3:29:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Chapstick for the plane.

Tampons if you''re going to have your period during the time of travel. In Australia, tampons don''t have the applicator, so this is a big deal for me.

Map (don''t expect the TI to always have them)

Notes of which restaurants to try. Food is important to me when I travel and I want to try and avoid as many tourist traps as possible.

A purse not easily snatched (usually that means cross body)

Sunglasses. If you wear prescription glasses of any kind (or contacts), take BACKUP.

Insurance card

Electrical adaptors for my cell phone (don''t bother taking anything that is not dual voltage, btw. And never bother carrying around a hair dryer).

At least TWO pairs of comfy shoes.

A loose gameplan and if there are any must see places, notes as to what days it is closed.

A general understanding of how the public transportation works and the routes.

Camera, with plenty of memory cards, and batteries if it needs it. (If rechargable, the power adapter and a electrical adapter for it.)

And idea of the current currency exchange rate and a calculator (usualluy available on my cell phone).

Notes on how to say, Hello, Good bye, thank you, please, and Excuse me, can you speak English?'' in the local language.
+1. To the list of phrases, I''ll add "Where is the bathroom?" and "Help!"

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it depends on where I'm going.

Obviously I'd bring a passport if needed, and of course my wallet with photo ID and insurance card.

I'd also bring:

comfy traveling clothes and shoes
a nice outfit or two (and nicer shoes) for dinners out
my camera
guide books/maps, etc.
a book or two
my sunglasses
snacks and water
cell phone and charger
some sort of itinerary and directions, phone numbers of my destinations, etc.
list of medications in case of an emergency
an extra bag that I can use if I end up with more stuff to take home than what I brought with me (I put this in my carry-on or in my suitcase)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 4:42:55 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
cell phone and charger
Def. the cell charger!!! Camera, books, lots of makeup - don''t know what look will work for the day, TONS of shirts and jeans - I usually pack 2X as many outfits as days as the travel, a case of water if doing a road trip, oh, and snacks, too, especially with the kids! We do *a lot* of road trips and always fill a cooler with foods and fruit.

Oh, and hair dryer. I fear the day I ever forget to pack that.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Camera, cell phone, chargers for both, toiletries, make up, panties and socks for an extra week (I can never have enough extras when traveling, you never know!)
AND an outfit for every single meal of the day, of the week. And outfits for every weather change within reason.

Yes, I do NOT pack light
25.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a small hand towel.......has many uses when push comes to shove.

mz

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always bring my T3 hairdryer. I don''t like bad hair days. Can ruin a whole vacation for me. It weighs less than a pound, so I find room. New outfits, comfy shoes and a cross body handbag. Lots of reading material..
Next trip I will bring some kind of electronic reader, just haven''t decided which one to buy yet. Oh, and a few Larabars in my purse.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Tylenol
cell and charger
sunglasses
camera and charger
books
sunblock
lip balm
lotion
shampoo and conditioner
toothpaste
toothbrush
hairbrush
hairdryer

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Many great suggestions, so I won''t repeat.

Make a copy of your passport/I.D. and tuck it somewhere you''re NOT keeping your passport/I.D., just in case it gets lost or stolen.

Same for important phone numbers, e.g., credit card companies, airline, travel agent, bank.

If I''m checking a bag, I usually pack a small carry on with one weather appropriate outfit, a couple of underwear, and miniature essential toiletries plus toothbrush, in case my checked bag gets lost.

Guess you can tell I''m a "just in case-er!"
3.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
as long as we''re talking about warm climates or warm seasons - a sarong is always a good idea - so many uses!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
When I traveled for work all the time, I pretty much kept a bag packed at all times. I had the basics, but I also brought a straightening iron (despite the fact that my hair is mostly straight) and sometimes my own blow drier and styling products (even the ones that had to be checked). It seems silly, but when you're on the road 80% of your weeks, it's nice to have the same things you have at home. I also stayed in really junky hotels where the hair driers barely worked
3.gif
Dragging my own drier was better than spending 40mins fighting with the broken down hotel drier.

I take my travel alarm clock everywhere. The face has a soft light, unlike those super bright hotel room clocks, and it has a push button on top for the alarm. I love having a clock that I know how to work instead of figuring out a hotel clock and hoping it works.

Sometimes I'll bring baked goods like banana bread or something - especially if it's good for breakfast. It makes a nice snack on the plane, and when I was working and waking up at 5am it made a good breakfast too. I think I packed a whole loaf of banana bread on more than one occasion
3.gif
I love having something familiar that reminds me of home and nothing better than food.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 8:39:53 PM
Author: movie zombie

mz
Bwahaha! I''m such a nerd...

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I always bring a big lightweight shawl (usually a pretty one from World Market). It has served as a pillow, blanket, wrap, and scarf. Also a pair of soft warm fuzzy socks in case the plane is cold (I''m usually wearing slip-on shoes without socks when I travel).

Generally, I''m a super light packer. I went to Japan for 10 days with only a small carry-on suitcase, and a long beach weekend with just a small rolling tote.

My boyfriend is the one who packs WAY too much...

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Chewing gum, chapstick, my flip flops, camera, money, sunglasses. Oh, and my family!
3.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
On the Plane-- Xanax(so that I will actually board a plane), Evian face spray(keeps skin from drying out), Hand lotion, Lip Balm, Book,Reading Light, Eye Mask, Contact Case/Solution, Wet wipes, Glasses, Cashmere Wrap(this can double as a blanket and/or pillow).

This stuff that goes in my checked bag...that list is much longer.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I am mostly a roadtripper.

Winter is an Irish wool cape. Goes day to night, can sleep in it! I have a lighter weight shawl for spring to fall.

A small bottle of hotel shampoo. Never know when the restroom is out of soap or the rings will look greasy.

The trunk of my car always has 2 days of underthings, a neutral toned shirt of the season and simple black pants.

Laptop, and code reader cables for the car, simple handtools, repair manual and jumper cables. An MRE type meal and a bottle of water. Small tent, sleeping bag.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 11:40:10 PM
Author: choro72

Date: 3/19/2010 8:39:53 PM
Author: movie zombie

mz
Bwahaha! I''m such a nerd...
A small towel is a good idea. I use to always back a container of Lysal Wipes and wipe down every surface in hotel bathrooms plus doorknobs, etc. That was right around the time my son was in 1st grade and contracted pink eye and I freaked the my makeup would become contaminated. lol

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also put my toiletry bag in my carry-on (if I''m also checking a bag). Sometimes I pack an extra change of clothes in there if I''m afraid of my other bag getting lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results