shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping hotel housekeeper

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm from Europe where we basically only tip at restaurants with sit-down meals, but I'm in the US at the moment and when in Rome... Anyway, from what I understand, we're expected to leave a tip for our room maid and I was wondering how much I should leave. We're leaving on Sunday and by then we will have spent 4 nights here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We tip about 10$ a night depending. Hope you are enjoying your trip!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait... I'm supposed to tip there?!

Maybe it depends on hotel? I've never left any and I never saw my grandparents leave any. Grandma traveled lots and was a very good tipper in other settings so it never occurred to me to do differently.

Hopefully someone can clarify when and how much because I would like to not under tip if there is an expectation.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Wow! 10 per night? Awkward! I actually left some money for her today as well... 2 dollars...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tradition of tipping at sit-down restaurants in USA is very very well established and expected and I've heard of waiters following you out of the restaurant if you stiff them.

Tipping in other situations is not as well established.

I'm a good tipper but I resent what I call tip creep.
Tip jars are creeping up everywhere. :nono:

I'm not saying don't tip or tip low, just don't expect there is any universally-agreed-to list of whom to tip and how much.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when we immigrated over, my mom used to be a housekeeper a long time ago, until she got hurt falling in a bath tub while she cleaned. She appreciated any tips left for her. She has mentioned that the rooms that were the dirtiest/messiest, would tip the least or no tip at all. The rooms that were pretty clean and tidy to begin with left the most. I used to manage a resort hotel, and the gals we had, were of ethnic origin, and they would appreciate tips, they would never gripe about not getting one and did not expect it if one were not given. Anyways, we always leave a tip, and depending on the hotel, we would do maybe a couple of dollars/per person or more on the day of our departure.

Anyways, tip isn't expected, but its truly nice if you can give one especially seeing it first hand, many of these workers do appreciate it, and it goes along way to feed their families.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
For business travel (my main form of travel these days), I usually tip about $5 per night.

Edited to add....if I'm traveling for business, I'm usually really neat, and organized and sleep on one side of one bed, and clean up afer myself.

If I'm travelling with my family, my kids and hubby are a mess! There's food containers everywhere, there's extra towels needed to mop up my kids bath/pool escapades. My hubby is a generous tipper, so he leaves at least $10 per night.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tip about $5 a night, they are the only people I don't resent tipping.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I leave at least $2 every day, because there may be different people cleaning your room each day. Tipping the full amount on the last day can leave someone out.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

May I ask how you "present" the tip? I tip, but because this is not really established (like in restaurants), I always feel a bit "awkward".

Is there a "best" or most appropriate method?

chees--Sharon

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to clarify that at the Hotel where I worked, we had strict policy not to take any cash lying around the rooms if guest are still occupying the rooms; On the day of check out, yes. Many of our guests if they stayed more than one night would instruct the front desk of how much to leave (charge it their card) the housekeepers, I then distribute the cash to my housekeeping manager. I stayed at a couple of hotels that would not take my cash laying around as well. So I made sure if I stayed more than One night to give instruction of how much to tip and they would take care of it.

When I stay only one night, I usually leave the tip on the nightstand and put a remote on top of it. Sometimes I'll leave a "thank you" post it note or whatever they have there to write with.

Other times when you stay longer and If I have turn down service, I will make sure I communicate with the front desk to add a certain amount to my total bill indicating it is for Housekeeping. The house keeping manager distribute- At least this is how we did it my hotel.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon, We leave the tip on the dresser with a thank you note at the end of our stay. And I agree with Julie and D&T-it's one of the few tips I am always glad to give!

canuk-gal said:
HI:

May I ask how you "present" the tip? I tip, but because this is not really established (like in restaurants), I always feel a bit "awkward".

Is there a "best" or most appropriate method?

chees--Sharon

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I leave a small amount of money for the room cleaner like $3 or $4 for a short stay like a 2 or 3 day weekend. Or $1 per night. If the maid is friendly and gives me nice smiles in the hall, I especially feel like doing it.

I don't make them work hard. I almost never have them clean the room while I stay...it is done once for me after I leave. I leave the do-not-disturb sign on the doorknob the whole time and sometimes switch out my towels with them when I see them in the hall.

I know it makes the maids happy when they see the little surprise on the table. I figure they work hard and don't get paid much, so I feel good about doing it.

I'm part-owner of a hotel, and I know that most people don't leave anything.

I always leave the room neat and clean-looking.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I always tip the hotel housekeeping. They do a tough job, and although it does seem that more and more people expect tips these days, I think that housekeeping staff deserve them. I usually leave $5 for each night we stay along with quick thank you note. We always try to leave the room as clean as we can, and use the "do not disturb" sign during our stay.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know.

Maybe I'm cheap. But I HATE tipping creep.

I obviously tip at restaurants. For various reasons. And I top 15-25% depending on the service for that. SO I'm not complaining about that.

But here's my thing. YOU GET PAID FOR YOUR JOB.

If you go above and BEYOND your job. Sure, I'll tip you.

OR if I make your job more difficult (messy hotel room, ordering off the menu at a restaurant, etc.) I get tipping you for that.

But your job BY DEFINITION is to clean hotel rooms after guests leave. So WHY exactly should I tip you?

I don't leave messes at hotel rooms. And if I do, sure I'll tip more. But regular stay, no real mess? I don't see why I should tip anyone.

But since I HAVE TO, I will leave 2 bucks a night. But frankly no more than that. UNLESS I have made a mess.

Same thing at a hair salon. Most of them work for themselves and rent stations. So sure, I'll tip but ONLY because it's expected and if you are good, I want you to want me to come back and do a good job. But we're not really talking a generous tip unless you really do something great.

Because AGAIN by definition, its your job to cut hair.

Guess what I don't get at work?

A tip.

I get bonuses and I get little thank you's. But those are for things ABOVE and BEYOND my job. My regular job doesn't count on my evals for bonus. What determines if I get my bonus is all the other stuff I do during the year, and I have metrics I have to meet for those. So I have to do projects BEYOND my job for a bonus all year long. And I only get the little thank you's when I go above and beyond-- like working till 11:00pm to get something out the door in 12 hours instead of the standard turn around time my department manages (36 hours to a week).

So why on earth should I tip everyone and their mother for doing JUST THEIR JOB.

Next you'll be telling me I have to the drive thru people at fast food chains.

When does it stop?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I understand tipping at restaurants, the wait staff is paid less than minimum wage in most places and a 15% tip is imputed on what they are paid and taxed by the IRS.

Plus my daughter and my daughter-in-law both did stints as waitresses and both my son and I have done time as bar tenders in our youths. I have NEVER felt that paying someone minimum wage was acceptable, let alone below minimum and expecting them to pay taxes on money they might not even receive if they worked at the wrong restaurant.

I see the BS today about politicians fighting raising the minimum wage from $7.00. I am sorry, but if someone works for you full time and still can not afford to buy food, you are paying too darn little.

If you look at a company like Costco, they pay their workers a decent wage and promote from within as much as possible. They have little employee churn, which in the long run saves them money and makes them more profitable than if they stiffed their employees and constantly had to replace them.

Contrast that with Walmart who pays so little that when you are hired at Walmart they actually teach you how to apply for food stamps. (This is sourced from my wife, who works for the State and tells me this is true. Personally I find it appalling.)

Sorry, ranting again. And no, I am not a Democrat, or any more a Republican. I am sick to death of all of the politicians and wonder what we did to deserve this sorry lot of do nothings that we have now.

And no, I never ever thought about tipping the housekeeper, now I shall have to. Never crossed my mind before.

Wink

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is cheap and never tips maids. My gf leaves $1 per person per night.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink|1400285431|3674542 said:
I see the BS today about politicians fighting raising the minimum wage from $7.00. I am sorry, but if someone works for you full time and still can not afford to buy food, you are paying too darn little.

If you look at a company like Costco, they pay their workers a decent wage and promote from within as much as possible. They have little employee churn, which in the long run saves them money and makes them more profitable than if they stiffed their employees and constantly had to replace them.

Contrast that with Walmart who pays so little that when you are hired at Walmart they actually teach you how to apply for food stamps. (This is sourced from my wife, who works for the State and tells me this is true. Personally I find it appalling.)

Wink

Totally agree.

In the Bay Area servers in many areas make over the minimum wage (regular state mimium wage which out here is higher than Federal, not server wage). But the cost of living is so high out here that they many are still struggling!

As for Walmart and the like. It's shameful.

What's even worse is if you look at their executive salaries.
Compare the executing salaries of Costco and Walmart, and you'll see right away where the problem is.

As for the politicians. This clip on the Daily Show was funny on the one hand. But it really just turned my stomach in reality. I can't BELIEVE this is what our legislators spend their time doing with our tax dollars and then COMPLAIN about raising the minimum wage!

http://blog.heritage.org/2014/05/12/joke-new-york-senate-passes-bill-making-yogurt-state-snack/

And I TOTALLY support raising the minimum wage. It's TIPPING I have an issue with. If people were paid a reasonable wage then maybe this ridiculous tipping everywhere would go away. It's the fact that employers expect ME to subsidize the wages their employees get that ticks me off about tipping by the way. And if you work for yourself, WHY am I tipping you again? You own the business. Set your rates/prices at a reasonable price and put your hand in your pocket. I'm not tipping you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't tip the housekeeping staff. I cannot recall ever trashing a hotel room; like Sky56 said I/we always leave a clean, tidied room whether we're staying overnight or for an extended period of time.

My mother tips everyone. No, really. Yesterday she tipped the young woman at Noodles & Company even though there was no tip jar. She always tips anyone who carries out her groceries or pumps her gas as well. It's kind of hilarious. She always tipped housekeepers as well but I do not recall how much nor how she presented the tip. I *think* she used to leave it in an envelope in the room at the end of her stay but it's been several years since I stayed in a hotel with my parents, so.

I, too, thinking tipping is out of control. Pay people a living wage, business owners.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to get into politics, but having been a restaurant owner - No we did not have a tip jar (a quasi fast food/semi sit down) I don't agree with raising the minimum wage (in certain areas) your burger would not cost $5 any longer, it would cost $10 (thus defeating minimum wage increase in my mind). 98% of our employees were those that lived with their parents so they didn't really "need" the money and many of them working for us was a stepping stone to something 'greater' and acquiring some basic skillset, employing accountability and work ethic. Many never had a job in the first place, so as a small business owner having given these kids something to build on was a joy for me to see them grow and cultivate. Others have left and found management work because we gave them an opportunity. The 2% That worked were not in high school and was salaried in management.

The ones that I have a problem with is places that have a "tipping" jar - that's when I think its "expected" .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1400286182|3674548 said:
Wink|1400285431|3674542 said:

Wink

Totally agree.

In the Bay Area servers in many areas make over the minimum wage (regular state mimium wage which out here is higher than Federal, not server wage). But the cost of living is so high out here that they many are still struggling!

As for Walmart and the like. It's shameful.

What's even worse is if you look at their executive salaries.
Compare the executing salaries of Costco and Walmart, and you'll see right away where the problem is.

As for the politicians. This clip on the Daily Show was funny on the one hand. But it really just turned my stomach in reality. I can't BELIEVE this is what our legislators spend their time doing with our tax dollars and then COMPLAIN about raising the minimum wage!

http://blog.heritage.org/2014/05/12/joke-new-york-senate-passes-bill-making-yogurt-state-snack/

And I TOTALLY support raising the minimum wage. It's TIPPING I have an issue with. If people were paid a reasonable wage then maybe this ridiculous tipping everywhere would go away. It's the fact that employers expect ME to subsidize the wages their employees get that ticks me off about tipping by the way. And if you work for yourself, WHY am I tipping you again? You own the business. Set your rates/prices at a reasonable price and put your hand in your pocket. I'm not tipping you.

Yes, people should be paid a living wage. But since that's not happening here anytime soon I will continue to tip as I see fit. I don't tip my hairdresser because he works for himself and his prices are high enough to support his lovely life style so he doesn't need me to tip him.

I am OK with tipping those who work hard and don't earn a living wage though. Housekeeping at a hotel-yes. Starbucks baristas-no. No one is forcing me to tip. I tip whom I want and when I want.

Surprisingly enough I had a very grateful patient many many years ago who had an eye emergency and I saw him and he insisted on tipping me with a $100 lol. He wouldn't take no for an answer so I gave it to my staff to buy lunch for themselves that day. First and last time anyone tried tipping me and I certainly don't think it appropriate to tip your healthcare professionals but I know he meant well. :bigsmile:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually leave a tip on the day I leave but we always request no maid service until after we leave. I dont need someone to make my bed for me or clean towels every day. I would rather clean up after myself, thank you very much.

If we were having maid service daily I would tip every day, because the person who cleaned your room on monday, might not be cleaning your room on wednesday, so she would be stiffed and the person on wednesday would e the only one to benefit.

I hate tip creep too. Don't even get me started on tipping hairdressers who charge you $150.00 for a hair cut and color. It's a good thing my daughter does mine. She is just happy I pay her because she would gladly do it for free.

I don't go for coffee much but I refuse to tip for someone pouring me a drink in a cup. Even if they drizzle caramel on top.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I usually leave $20 at the end of my stay here in the U.S. In Japan, it is customary to give $50-100 in a small envelope to the person who would take care of your room. I probably tip way too much everywhere. I've been waiting tables for a long time and know it can be tough to survive when you happen to work on slow days for a few weeks. My old work paid me $0/hour and my current work pays me $5/hour. I'll probably keep tipping well even after I quit my job to leave for grad school.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
I always tip the housekeeping staff ... They're largely women, and get the service industry jobs that get tips less often (than eg bellboys, doormen, etc), and I think it's a hard job. $5 a night or 10 if we've been messy. I just leave the money on the bed. I also tip daily as the staff rotates, so the people actually doing the room get the tip.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
High end hotels, we tip $10/day.

All other hotels, we tip $5/day.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
simurgh|1400292140|3674617 said:
I always tip the housekeeping staff ... They're largely women, and get the service industry jobs that get tips less often (than eg bellboys, doormen, etc), and I think it's a hard job. $5 a night or 10 if we've been messy. I just leave the money on the bed. I also tip daily as the staff rotates, so the people actually doing the room get the tip.
This.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I tip by leaving $1 or 2 per night on the corner of the bed. I always tip during the stay, not just the end. Since I used to stay in a hotel for weeks at a time with my job, I got great service and extras at times that way. A little daily palm grease was money well spent to me

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tip $10 a night at hotels, I start restaurant tips at 25%, and I always tip my barista. I consider it my small nod to good karma for the day that maybe someone got their kid diapers or won't be late on their rent. In the grand overall view I'm lucky to be dining out or staying at a nice hotel anyway.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The hotels I stay at have an envelope for this purpose. I tip $2- per day which I understand is the going rate. The maid cleans about 16 rooms per day during her shift. If she got $10 per day as missy gives she get 160.00 per day added to her wages -tax free. Missy-sorry but that is way too much. Of course do what you want, but i have never heard of anyone giving that.

I have run hotels and recently read that 2.00 is the going rate for maid service per day.

Annette

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my part-time jobs while in college was working as a maid at the on-campus, college inn. Usually sedate clientele & I never had to deal with bathrooms splattered with alcohol-infused vomit-& used condoms on the carpet like one of my classmates, who worked weekends at the local Holiday Inn, did (and yep, the most foul guests are the ones who typically leave a stingy or no tip).

But it wasn't a breezy job -- and it's more demanding nowadays because (a) to keep staffing expenses down, hotels are expecting the housekeepers to cover more rooms per shift than they used to, and (b) of the uber-thick, heavy mattresses, etc. installed in even middle-of--the-road establishments that have resulted in increased stress, strain & injuries:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/us/21hotel.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't see how anyone can justify not leaving a tip on the ground that hotels ought to be paying housekeepers a living wage; it's not as if your "boycott" of a tip is going to prompt hotel management to raise wages. And any of us here who are staying in a hotel/motel are better off financially than the staff;** you won't miss those few bucks nearly as much as the staff will appreciate having them (which is why I don't put the "No housekeeping today, thanks" sign on the door, even if I don't want the towels & linens changed).

This was really brought home to me last year. I was traveling solo, but left a $20 tip the first morning (like others, I tip daily) because I had a suite & it takes more time to vacuum and dust a suite than a standard room. As I was waiting for the elevator to take me down to the lobby, the maid came flying down the hall, crying out softly, "Miss, Miss!". When she came up to me, I asked "Did I leave my cell phone in the room, is there anything wrong?" She replied, "Oh there is nothing wrong. I just wanted to say thank you. Most people don't leave tips & yours means so much, especially today because..." -- and here her voice trailed off as tears welled up in her eyes -- "well, don't you never mind about that, but God bless you."

** I don't leave a tip when at a B&B where the owners themselves do the work; I figure that, like the owner of my hair salon, they can raise their rates if they want to see more money going into their pockets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results