shape
carat
color
clarity

"Think About Pink" (Article from today's NYTimes)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its great to see younger girls being aware of breast cancer. When I was a kid cancer wasn't something we talked about much. Yes, we lost grandparents/family members to cancer and it was really sad, but we didn't get into the different types and how to look out for them.

These campaigns have their place but I honestly don't think I would let one of my daughters wear a band with 'I love boobies' written on it. But thats just me. We wear the breast cancer pin.

300_breastcancer_pin_091708.jpg

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
A number of my students wear those "boobies" bracelets and I really don't mind them in that they do not cause a distraction in the classroom. In fact, in the last post about these bracelets and today's breast cancer awareness campaigns I'm pretty sure I said, "What's wrong with boobies?" Generally I stand by the opinion that any awareness and fundraising is a positive thing, even if it's controversial.

But...

I'm no longer so certain.

The statement, "By making consumers feel good without actually doing anything meaningful, it discourages understanding, undermining the search for better detection, safer treatments, causes and cures for a disease that still afflicts 250,000 women annually..." really stood out to me. I suppose most people buy think-pink-think-boobies products for shock value and to feel good that .000001% of their purchase went to breast cancer research, and not in an effort to gain a better understanding of breast cancer, detection, prevention, etc.

Do pink-overload, sexualized, silly campaigns REALLY increase awareness and understanding? (Probably not) Do they make money? (Maybe?) Does the amount of money they generate, in the event it's a substantial amount, negate the silliness or offensiveness? This is where I'm stuck. I feel bad saying that it's all about $$$, but if the majority of proceeds of a product go directly to the cause I'm more apt to support it.

As it turns out,"I Love Boobies" bracelets don't raise much money at all ( http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/I-Love-Wristbands-Donations-Questioned-104524119.html ), and I doubt that most pink-products do.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
PilsnPinkysMom|1289761808|2765755 said:
A number of my students wear those "boobies" bracelets and I really don't mind them in that they do not cause a distraction in the classroom. In fact, in the last post about these bracelets and today's breast cancer awareness campaigns I'm pretty sure I said, "What's wrong with boobies?" Generally I stand by the opinion that any awareness and fundraising is a positive thing, even if it's controversial.

But...

I'm no longer so certain.

The statement, "By making consumers feel good without actually doing anything meaningful, it discourages understanding, undermining the search for better detection, safer treatments, causes and cures for a disease that still afflicts 250,000 women annually..." really stood out to me. I suppose most people buy think-pink-think-boobies products for shock value and to feel good that .000001% of their purchase went to breast cancer research, and not in an effort to gain a better understanding of breast cancer, detection, prevention, etc.

Do pink-overload, sexualized, silly campaigns REALLY increase awareness and understanding? (Probably not) Do they make money? (Maybe?) Does the amount of money they generate, in the event it's a substantial amount, negate the silliness or offensiveness? This is where I'm stuck. I feel bad saying that it's all about $$$, but if the majority of proceeds of a product go directly to the cause I'm more apt to support it.

As it turns out,"I Love Boobies" bracelets don't raise much money at all ( http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/I-Love-Wristbands-Donations-Questioned-104524119.html ), and I doubt that most pink-products do.

I agree with you. I am a teacher, also, and my husband has been through cancer surgery this year. Thus, I can speak to both sides of the debate.

I am loathe to cancer being sexualized under the guise of raising awareness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results