shape
carat
color
clarity

The Rock Walk Album 2009 - UPDATE

Which charity would you like the profits of The Rock Walk Album 2009 to go to?

• DDI

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • JFC

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

franky

Rough_Rock
Hey Ya''all,

The good news is: The Rock Walk Album of 2009 is almost complete! Yay!
36.gif

We are just busy with the finishing touches and will keep you all posted.

Regarding which diamond organization the proceeds will be going to…

We have decided to stick to our initial intention and donate specifically to a charitable organization aligned with the diamond industry and its problems.
In that spirit, the GIA and the DDI, and the Jewelers for Children are the three organizations which we think are worthwhile diamond initiatives to support. Each for different reasons.

The GIA is a non-profit institution dedicated to research and education in the field of gemology. They are famous for having introduced the 4C’s. They have numerous branches which educate budding gemologists on the various intricacies of diamonds and other precious stones. Proceeds go towards scholarships for students and for the furtherance of gem research. We think they are well aligned with Pricescopes’ motto of helping people making informed decisions in the diamond buying experience. http://www.gia.edu

The DDI is a non-profit organization which is dedicated towards alleviating the plight of impoverished diamond diggers. Their plight is a sorry one indeed. Their average wage is frequently less than one dollar a day. Many of them are exploited children and their labor often takes place under circumstances of extreme duress. These diggers generate great wealth for other people but remain impoverished themselves. The DDI aims to balance the scale and compensate these diggers. We think it is important to help these people out. (Special thanks to “Regular Guy” who suggested the DDI.) http://www.ddiglobal.org

The Jewelers for Children, is a non-profit organization that raises money in the fine jewelry and watch industries that is used to help children who are the victims of catastrophic illness or life-threatening abuse and neglect. The JFC also has “Charity Partners” that include some of the organizations that were mentioned by other pricescope members. (Special thanks to “DiaGem” who suggested the JFC.) http://www.jewelersforchildren.org

We would like to donate to only one organization so as to consolidate our funds and empower them to actually do something substantial. In that spirit, we would like the community to vote on which organization they would prefer the proceeds to go to.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted DDI.

On reading your explanations, one phrase stood out: "donate specifically to a charitable organization aligned with the diamond industry and its problems." I feel the diamond industry has few problems more significant and heartbreaking than the exploitation of these impoverished people doing anything and everything they can to support their families. The Kimberley process aims to standardize and enforce, but so many innocents suffer in the implementation of these regulations - as literal side-effects. And their plight is not one that appeals to the general public - they are not an army of children in need, they are not cute fuzzy creatures, they are not victims of a natural disaster - they are people who have been used and abused by the system for so long that it's simply a way of life, and that is a terrible, terrible thing.

I strongly believe the more overlooked causes are often the most in need, and I would love to see proceeds from the Rock Walk Album put to making a difference in the lives of people who, due solely to poor circumstance, have had no other options - and haven't dared to dream they exist - until now.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 3:09:02 PM
Author: yssie
I voted DDI.

On reading your explanations, one phrase stood out: ''donate specifically to a charitable organization aligned with the diamond industry and its problems.'' I feel the diamond industry has few problems more significant and heartbreaking than the exploitation of these impoverished people doing anything and everything they can to support their families. The Kimberley process aims to standardize and enforce, but so many innocents suffer in the implementation of these regulations - as literal side-effects. And their plight is not one that appeals to the general public - they are not an army of children in need, they are not cute fuzzy creatures, they are not victims of a natural disaster - they are people who have been used and abused by the system for so long that it''s simply a way of life, and that is a terrible, terrible thing.

I strongly believe the more overlooked causes are often the most in need, and I would love to see proceeds from the Rock Walk Album put to making a difference in the lives of people who, due solely to poor circumstance, have had no other options - and haven''t dared to dream they exist - until now.
Yssie said exactly what I was thinking. We enjoy our sparklies and I think it''d be great if we gave some money back to the people that mine them. It''s their backbreaking, dangerous labour that provides us with the things we enjoy (and the interest that unites us as a community).

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I voted DDI.

On reading your explanations, one phrase stood out: ''donate specifically to a charitable organization aligned with the diamond industry and its problems.'' I feel the diamond industry has few problems more significant and heartbreaking than the exploitation of these impoverished people doing anything and everything they can to support their families. The Kimberley process aims to standardize and enforce, but so many innocents suffer in the implementation of these regulations - as literal side-effects. And their plight is not one that appeals to the general public - they are not an army of children in need, they are not cute fuzzy creatures, they are not victims of a natural disaster - they are people who have been used and abused by the system for so long that it''s simply a way of life, and that is a terrible, terrible thing.

I strongly believe the more overlooked causes are often the most in need, and I would love to see proceeds from the Rock Walk Album put to making a difference in the lives of people who, due solely to poor circumstance, have had no other options - and haven''t dared to dream they exist - until now.

Couldn''t have said it better myself. I voted for them as well.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 4:49:29 PM
Author: Callisto

I voted DDI.

Couldn''t have said it better myself. I voted for them as well.

same :) my vote counted here

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 4:37:13 PM
Author: princesss

I voted DDI.

Yssie said exactly what I was thinking. We enjoy our sparklies and I think it''d be great if we gave some money back to the people that mine them. It''s their backbreaking, dangerous labour that provides us with the things we enjoy (and the interest that unites us as a community).

I voted for DDI for exactly the same reasons that you two did.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 5:07:33 PM
Author: Zoe

Date: 5/6/2010 4:37:13 PM

I voted DDI.

I voted for DDI for exactly the same reasons that you two did.
Add another ditto from me. DDI .

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for DDI here.
Great post Yssie.
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDI.

Can you tell us about the book?
When can we get it?
How many pages/pics?
One pic per page?
How large is it?
Is it only pics or has someone written text?
How much will the donation be?

Will there be some kind of "Rock Wall of Honor" here on PS to acknowledge the donors? (where people can donate under the name anonymous if they like)

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I voted DDI.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted DDI too.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
DDI.

PS is a primarily diamond oriented forum. I think many of us would be appalled to find that the sparklies we love and cherish were mined and dug by underpaid workers, especially underpaid children.

Yssie said it better than I could have.
2.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in for DDI as well! I feel so bad for those who work so hard for other peoples "riches"....

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to vote JFC but decided in the end to vote for DDI.

I guess you can always click on the website of JFC to make your own donation separately.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Franky, Andrey, and everybody. Looking back, I see that when first mentioning DDI, I was less certain they were exactly appropriate...just in terms of their governmental structure, for giving, although I did think they were appropriate for the intended purpose. Now, looking more closely: http://www.ddiglobal.org/pages/how-you-can-help.php , I am glad you checked them out further, and see they''re ready, willing and able to accept donations.

So I''m happy to vote for DDI, too!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I was perusing through all the choices and was wondering if anyone has found the financial statement on the percentage of funds that actually get directly to the cause. I tried to decipher it on my own but was unsuccessful.

They are all great ideas and fabulous endeavors, but I would like to refrain my vote until I can learn which will give us the biggest bang for our buck. Just what percentage of our charitable gift will actually make it to the people in need?

Can anyone find those figures to help make a more educated choice?

WOo HOo to all of you that have been involved. This is a great example on how one small group of people really can make a difference on a global endeavor. It has been inspiring to see this project near fruition. Greatest respect to all, and the idea to create it! Standing Ovation!

36.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2010 6:45:41 PM
Author: CasaBlanca
I was perusing through all the choices and was wondering if anyone has found the financial statement on the percentage of funds that actually get directly to the cause. I tried to decipher it on my own but was unsuccessful.

They are all great ideas and fabulous endeavors, but I would like to refrain my vote until I can learn which will give us the biggest bang for our buck. Just what percentage of our charitable gift will actually make it to the people in need?

Can anyone find those figures to help make a more educated choice?

WOo HOo to all of you that have been involved. This is a great example on how one small group of people really can make a difference on a global endeavor. It has been inspiring to see this project near fruition. Greatest respect to all, and the idea to create it! Standing Ovation!

36.gif

That''s a good point, but I will say that personally I feel that I''d rather have 40% of out money go to the miners that desperately need it than see 60% go to the GIA or JFC. While I feel that all of them are worthy of our attention, I feel like we can still make more of an impact wtih DDI even if a smaller percentage of our money reaches them.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Good point Princesss.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
DDI

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:15:09 PM

Date: 5/9/2010 6:45:41 PM
Author: CasaBlanca

That''s a good point, but I will say that personally I feel that I''d rather have 40% of out money go to the miners that desperately need it than see 60% go to the GIA or JFC. While I feel that all of them are worthy of our attention, I feel like we can still make more of an impact wtih DDI even if a smaller percentage of our money reaches them.
Casablanca, Princess, and all,

When I first saw your note, Casablanca, I thought the point not unreasonable, and also, was inclined to weigh in similarly as Princess has overall. Since then, I have tried to become more informed on the back end. I am mostly a novice at this, however, and after having secured the initial information directly from DDI, which paints what could be considered an even darker picture than Princess imagines (I''ve shared their response with Andrey & Garry here), I''ve also sought additional vetting by specifically seeking comment from industry leaders in the area of fair trade diamonds. After several of such efforts...I''ve not heard much of anything back. But, I will say that you can see, as well as I, from principled players such as the Fair Trade Diamond site hosted by Rappaport and his organization, and also, the Madison Dialogues, which seem to offer a broad based effort to provide remedy in this area, support enough for DDI that their work is featured prominently on their respective websites.

Generally, whether it''s because the economy continues to be tight, because everyone is pinched, or because in today''s world (is it possible it''s never different?), it''s difficult to show largess to others, the pace at which remedy for the miners in South Africa is provided is quite slow, and there is little infrastructure for it. As a result, it appears that the better part of every dollar going to DDI will go to supporting that necessary infrastructure.

There are some promising signs. Perhaps within the last 48 hours, the Kimberly Process has opened a Facebook page, and there are new efforts at transparency. There will be, I think, summer workshops for folks in the Jewelery Industry to contemplate something like "communication issues" concerning the Kimberly Process, but I do worry that even a place like Pricescope finds it difficult to muster enthusiasm for its success.

But then yet again...we have this particular effort...initiated by Andre and Pricescope, and brought forward by Franky. Whether DDI or another, it is good that we are trying to help.

Many thanks,

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
any updates?

franky

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you who participated in the vote.
The poll has officially closed and we clearly have our charity chosen....DDI.

We are now in the final stages of producing the album.
Hang in there... we are almost done!
36.gif

I will keep you all updated regarding the final stages of viewing / purchasing the album.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results