shape
carat
color
clarity

The Insanity Workout

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi y'all! My BF and I have started the Insanity workout, from the same lunatics that gave the world p90X, and I am wondering if anyone else around here is as crazy as I am; anyone tried/finished/in the middle of Insanity or P90X?

We just started week 2, and I am refraining from measuring or weighing in until Fit Test days otherwise I'll obsess. My goals are simply better fitness, time spent with the boy, and a few inches off the waistline would be lovely.

There are workouts I hate and workouts I love, and it's certainly a challenge- I won't lie, the initial Fit Test nearly killed me, and I have ended the workouts in the fetal position on the floor more than once. BUT I have managed to not cry yet and I do see results already in stamina, flexibility, and strength, and I don't know for sure but I feel littler in the middle :bigsmile:

Anyone else out there who wants a virtual workout buddy to help each other stay motivated and accountable?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on Day 2 of P90X. In order to get out of bed, I have to turn over onto my stomach and use my legs/back muscles, instead of using my abs when on my back.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I just heard about this for the first time last night and was intrigued. My friends who are doing it are also on week two. Will I die if join them on week two? I definately require the accountability of a workout buddy and/or instructor. I wish I could get my guy to work out with me but at the end of the day he has to be his own motivator so I no longer bug him.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1311401709|2975100 said:
I'm on Day 2 of P90X. In order to get out of bed, I have to turn over onto my stomach and use my legs/back muscles, instead of using my abs when on my back.

Haha - I had a similar experience when I did P90X for a few weeks about a year ago. I had to wear button down shirts because I couldn't lift my arms. Ultimately, I found the guy in the videos really annoying and quit.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I know someone who is doing insanity right now. He said he likes it because you don't need any props like you do for p90X.

I did p90X for a grand total of 2 days. The guy really annoyed me, and I have a really hard time getting motivated to work out at home. Drop me off at a gym and I'm good to go. I should get back into doing something though.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Julie: I have been sore in the weirdest places- like only my left calf muscle- and stairs are a challenge, but it's getting better! Insanity is cardio and interval training heavy, no weights, so while we do A LOT of pushups, dips, squats for strength I am more out of breath than I am sore.

Kelpie: Join them! You won't die, you may not be able to keep up with them immediately, but the whole first month is a rotation of the same 4-5 workouts, and the running bar across the bottom of the screen is a constant reminder to take extra breaks if you need them. It's now the beginning of week two and there are only two of the workouts that I can get through without extra breaks- and one of them is the recovery workout so that one doesn't count! It's all a personal fitness curve and you didn't miss any workouts that won't be repeated several times in the next 2-3 weeks, so jump in!

I am really enjoying working out with the BF; keeps me accountable cause I don't want to look like a wimp :lol: , but we are also taking the opportunity to schedule our workout every day so that after we are finished, after a quick shower, we get to make dinner together and it's been so nice to have that sense of joint accomplishment and the time to just chill together.

central square & kas baby:
Sean T is the instructor for Insanity and I actually like him a lot; just the right mix of motivation and engery. He also does the Hip Hop Abs workouts. kas- I am the complete opposite about the gym; I love the idea of the gym, but I am so much more likely to put on my sneakers and workout if I don't have to get in the car first!

Anyone trying the diet plans that go with these things? We are not- simply trying to balance our protein, carbs, and veggies at every meal.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1311444939|2975334 said:
central square & kas baby:[/b] Sean T is the instructor for Insanity and I actually like him a lot; just the right mix of motivation and engery.

Oh, he drove me nuts!! But, truth be told I was so miserable doing that program that I'm not sure it was him as much as it was me!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I freaking LOVE Insanity! Even not doing it 6x per week, I feel like I'm in better shape than ever. I love the workouts, I love the variety, and I love Shaun T. I love the sports focus (and just wait until you try Asylum - I've done a few of those workouts and they are no joke), I love that I have to push myself...I just plain love it. I was injured and sick for a few weeks, so I start my workouts again tomorrow. I don't totally follow the program - it'd be a little too much when combined with my other activities (I just don't have 3 hours a day for exercise sometimes, you know?), but I think the workouts are fantastic. I'm completely addicted.

ETA: I should also add that I don't weigh myself at all anymore. I'm just trying to focus on seeing change in my body - firming up and losing inches. I'm honestly in the best shape of my life, and I'm just hoping to start *seeing* that, instead of feeling like I've got a great body hidden under a fair bit of flab.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased the DVDs and haven't yet started them. I just finished summer term for classes and now have every night after work completely open. I was hoping to get them started and get into a routine before Fall starts back up. I am nowhere NEAR a regular exerciser, so I'm not sure how it'll go :-/

I'm just going to take it slow with the goal of doing at least 2 workouts/week and build up. If I can do more, great, if not, that's okay too. My goal is to just try and get more active and be more careful about what I eat.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, not going to do it. There was a period of time in my 20's I was really into trying different exercise videos and exercising multiple times a week. But as time goes by you then learn all the bobbing that say you do with Jane Fonda (yes I'm that old) was bad for the joints, or the way the aerobics were done may be harmful for the knees, or the fact I was doing 180 crunches per session may have been making my waitline thicker, not thinner.

Not saying the Insanity stuff does that.
But all the stuff I do now is super low impact. I may not be in the best shape, but at least I'm not going to injure myself!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, sorry for the slow response time- I've been checking in via phone, but haven't been at a keyboard until today!

Weeeelllll, I've slacked on the workouts this weekend. It was the last weekend of the play I was in, so three days of teaching, working, and performing (in full Civil War dress), on the hottest weekend EVER-over 100 degrees even at night- seriously set me back. The theater where we perfromed has A/C, but really only minimally and not at all in our dressing rooms or backstage. I made it through ok till Monday when I spent the day in bed with an upset stomach and a headache, but we did have a poor girl literally faint onstage Saturday night :shock: I was onstage with her and immediately (because I was wearing one too, so I knew!) went for her bodice and corset. She's ok and managed to finish the show, but it was a bizarre mix of Scarlett O'Hara having the vapors and Jack Sparrow cutting off Elizabeth's corset to save her from drowning- all on stage! Anyway that's how HOT is was around here and I totally skipped out on my workouts. But it's back to it today!

Packrat: yes, yes he is

centralsquare: have you found a workout program you like better?

princess: I am enjoying it too! I am with you on the scheduling- I simply can't coordinate my schedule to include a workout every single day, but I just pick back up with the next workout when I miss a day and keep going. And Asylum, haven't heard of that one yet, but I am sure BF will want to tackle that one next, so thanks for that :errrr:

I used to be in GREAT shape; stage combat is my specialty and I used to take and teach classes up to 20 hours a week. Now- not so much. I am adjusting my expectations of what I can do right off the bat, cause this stuff is HARD and I am not in fighting shape at the moment. I, also, am looking forward to seeing the results, not just feeling them. I am generally very happy with how I look- except for the pooch in the middle, which I know will be the very last thing to go, but it's the only part of how I look that I would actually like to see change from this process.

audball: I'll bet you can do more than two a week; two will make a huge difference in how you feel, but I found rather quickly that the plyometric and recorvery workouts were really doable on a daily basis and the intervals and pure cardio are getting easier. Let us know what you think!

part gypsy: Insanity is def not low impact! Lots of jumping! Do you swim, walk...?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avistar, if you do stage combat, definitely have to be in good shape for that! The town I live in has a dance school/festival in summer and I'm in awe of these dancer's bodies.

I mostly walk. But I also do exercise videos (one with aerobics that also targets different body parts with a little weight work, yoga, and pilates) and swimming in the summer. for example I do pilates for dummies because I don't have the strength/flexibility for the high level stuff. I guess the thing I enjoy most is putting on music and dancing with my kids! It can be a little of an upper body workout because they like me to pick them up and throw them around a little :D

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
part gypsy- dancing is the BEST! My mom was a dancer, too, and I have wonderful memories of music and dancing in the kitchen; she would use us to help her visualize while she was choreographing- because of that habit, I learned most of her choreography and made my 'professional' debut in a duet with her when I was about six! Your children will thank you later when they are breaking it down on a dance floor somewhere!

I am popping the Ibuprofens today...pushed hard on the so-called recovery workout yesterday- today's workout might just kill me. Oh my poor core and legs ;(

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm starting with a friend today! We're both not regular exercisers and we're going to take it slow with the goal of finishing, even if it takes 4-6 months instead of the plans timeline of 2! We're aiming for a minimum of 2 workouts/week, but are open to what we can handle.

Looking at the plan last night, it looks like today is just the fit test. We're both nervous...but it'll be good for us. So I have an in person workout buddy, and you virtual buddies to keep me on track. I also got my iPod touch back out to track my food - that really helps me stay on track too.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Good Luck, Audball! Don't let the fit test scare you! I just did my two week fit test check in and it's still the worst workout; BF tried to explain that's 'cause it's a TEST and you have to push harder to find your actual limits, but I just cut him off when he starts in on that and tell him to please please please just find me some cookie dough :lol:

In all seriousness, good for you! I did an official weigh in and measure in yesterday with the fit test and I have lost 1 lb.- which is disapointing- BUT also 1 whole inch off my waist. So trying to remind myself that I am also building muscle, which outweighs that fat I am losing, and that inches are the real indicator of success!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

audball

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1312318791|2982554 said:
Good Luck, Audball! Don't let the fit test scare you! I just did my two week fit test check in and it's still the worst workout; BF tried to explain that's 'cause it's a TEST and you have to push harder to find your actual limits, but I just cut him off when he starts in on that and tell him to please please please just find me some cookie dough :lol:

In all seriousness, good for you! I did an official weigh in and measure in yesterday with the fit test and I have lost 1 lb.- which is disapointing- BUT also 1 whole inch off my waist. So trying to remind myself that I am also building muscle, which outweighs that fat I am losing, and that inches are the real indicator of success!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
Holy jeez - that fit test is HORRIBLE. Ugh - we didn't even really make it through. I mean we finished (poorly) but damn. I am sore this morning, though not as bad as I'd anticipated. We're going to try and do the next one Thursday but have prepared (with other workout ideas/DVDs/solutions) that we just may not even be close to ready to attempt this, but we're going to try...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1311602654|2976310 said:
I don't totally follow the program - it'd be a little too much when combined with my other activities (I just don't have 3 hours a day for exercise sometimes, you know?), but I think the workouts are fantastic. I'm completely addicted.

Holy crap, it takes three hours?!

Sigh. And here I was thinking an hour a day would be good for me...

audball

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1312376046|2983018 said:
I don't totally follow the program - it'd be a little too much when combined with my other activities (I just don't have 3 hours a day for exercise sometimes, you know?), but I think the workouts are fantastic. I'm completely addicted.

No no no...most of the Insanity workouts are 45 mins-1 hour. I think she meant three hours daily TOTAL including her other activities. I know princesss is also an avid ultimate frisbee player, rock climber, etc...she's one awesome lady :D

One hour a day is definitely admirable for anyone. Hell, for health purposes it's recommended to just try and move for 30 minutes a day and/or exercise for 30 mins-1 hour three times a week.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
audball|1312376241|2983022 said:

No no no...most of the Insanity workouts are 45 mins-1 hour. I think she meant three hours daily TOTAL including her other activities. I know princesss is also an avid ultimate frisbee player, rock climber, etc...she's one awesome lady :D

One hour a day is definitely admirable for anyone. Hell, for health purposes it's recommended to just try and move for 30 minutes a day and/or exercise for 30 mins-1 hour three times a week.

Oh, no, MP! Audball is right, it's only 45 mins to an hour. But if I did two-a-days, I'd do Insanity for 45 minutes and then 2 hours of ultimate, or 2 hour of rock climbing, or hiking or whatever, and that's just a little too much for me. Especially since I'm not willing to wake up early to work out, so it's not like I would do Insanity before work and then just do my fun stuff afterwards...

ETA: Aud, I'm blushing! Thank you, you're quite the awesome lady, yourself!

audball

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1312378614|2983045 said:
audball|1312376241|2983022 said:

Oh, no, MP! Audball is right, it's only 45 mins to an hour. But if I did two-a-days, I'd do Insanity for 45 minutes and then 2 hours of ultimate, or 2 hour of rock climbing, or hiking or whatever, and that's just a little too much for me. Especially since I'm not willing to wake up early to work out, so it's not like I would do Insanity before work and then just do my fun stuff afterwards...

ETA: Aud, I'm blushing! Thank you, you're quite the awesome lady, yourself!
=) I call 'em how I see 'em! And thanks!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I just borrowed the P90X discs from a friend today! I was thinking about it... to be honest, I never do that well with exercise videos, but I can at least try. I've started horseback riding again lately and it's shown me just how out-of-shape I really am! So I'm looking for something I can do on the same days that I ride, which the P90X is probably not, haha. Has anyone ever tried the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred? I tried it once and just got fed up with how annoying she is (lol) but it's pretty effective, and you can control the intensity!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
asymons412|1312479267|2984141 said:
Has anyone ever tried the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred? I tried it once and just got fed up with how annoying she is (lol) but it's pretty effective, and you can control the intensity!

Love this video. Just listen to it a few times, and after that put it on mute and play whatever music you'd like.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Audball: the fit test truly is is HORRIBLE; and I struggled with the next two days of workout after my second fit test, too, but I am seeing improvement in my stamina (which is my worst ability at the moment), taking fewer extra breaks, better form so I know it's worth sticking out.

MonkeyPie: even if you don't want to do the whole program, I think the individual workouts are worth it. The pure cardio and cardio abs combo is one helluva workout and it's about an hour total, including warm ups, stretches, and cool down. In all my years of dance and working out I have never seen the equal to this cardio workout- it kicks my butt in a good way ;-)

Princess: are you getting through workouts with extra breaks? How long did it take you to work up to that level?

Asymons: can't hurt to try! I have a friend who is really enjoying P90X, so I think it's all about finding the workout style, speed, and intensity that works for you.

AMC: how long are the workouts in the shred video? It's it mostly abs or cardio or...?

Cardio Recovery workout for me today- it's my favorite! And thank goodness, 'cause the last two days have been rough! I guess it's the second/third week slump, the point when most people quit and now I know why- you get just good enough with the workouts to really concentrate on form and keeping everything tight and then it feels like you've started all over again! But, onwards and upwards!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
The only extra break I take is sometimes I need to stop, but I take 2-3 breaths and get right back into it as well as I can, and this is pretty much where I started - since getting in shape about 2-3 years ago, I decided I never want to have to get back into shape again. It sucks! So I've just gradually been throwing more and more workouts into my rotation. Though I do struggle with ski abs and floor sprints.

My friend told me the other day she can see my stamina and form improving, but since I took about a month off, I'm having trouble seeing it. You should have seen my friend L doing power jumps yesterday! (We did cardio power and resistance.) It was amazing - she spent barely any time on the ground! She was killing it.

I need to do the fit test - I've never done it! I always skip that since it generally falls on a day when I have another workout scheduled. Oh well...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1312489279|2984275 said:
AMC: how long are the workouts in the shred video? It's it mostly abs or cardio or...?

The video contains 3 workouts- a beginning, intermediate, and advanced. Each workout is only 20 minutes. You do 3 minutes of cardio, 2 minutes of strength, and 1 minute of abs...so 6 minutes. And then you do three different sets of this. The strength training has some cardio built in, so it's not like you are just standing there doing curls...rather you'd be doing lunges while doing curls. Or doing jumping jacks with hand weights. It's a great video for people who hate strength training (me). Also great for someone who has limited time to work out. It's something you could do in the morning before work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results