shape
carat
color
clarity

The Big DIY Bathroom Renovation- Picture Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 11:49:14 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
What a great job you guys did! I love the time capsule too.
I was visiting a friend in MN when DH found the time capsule. I was so giddy to get home and see all of the items. Thats the sort of thing that happens in the movies. DH was bummed there weren''t any old stock certificates in there.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
CTek - You''re my hero. I love people that take on their own home improvement proyects! I''m going to write down your paint color because I''m redoing our guest bath and I love that color.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to live in your banyo. It looks so clean!!! Love the colors and the tile is gorge.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
These were already posted individually but I wanted to present a side by side comparison.

Wino- If I had time I think I would paint every room in my house that blue-grey color. I brought it home and then realized that our dining room was painted with two shades of blue that are darker and lighter than this one (above and below a chair rail). I guess I can''t get away from certain shades!

Monnie- One of my favorite new shows, Cougar Town, had an episode last week about the main character (Courtney Cox) living in her newly renovated master bath. Given her bathroom kicks so much more butt than mine I found I could relate because I have taken to just standing in there sometimes and marveling at our work. If you want, you can come over and join me. Charlie loves it too so I''m sure he would enjoy some company.

sidebysidectek.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is an awesome transformation, you guys did a fantastic job. I think you could squeeze in a mini spa chair there to the left of the sink and just hang out there all day, Ctek. So...that''s what I would do. Yup.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think you''re right about the chair Monnie. Charlie would like it too! Probably second to sitting on my lap while I use the toilet. He is such a weird cat.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
wow! you did a fabulous job. I actually gasped when I first saw the view into the renovated room because it looked so different than before! :)

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is amazing! It looks so, so much better. And finding the time capsule was awesome! You are too generous for wanting to put things back--I would have framed them and displayed them somewhere (even as a bleeding heart, non-Phillies fan).

Since you are putting the house on the market, does this mean you accepted the job in SF?!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so impressed by you!!!! it''s gorgeous :)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Love it! So crisp, modern, and clean!
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You guys did such a fantastic job! And I''m so impressed that you guys did it all yourselves.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s an obscene amount of payoff for so little $ invested! I''m super impressed with your plumbing wizadry, Claritek! Well done!!!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bow to you, I am so impressed! Awesome job! It looks beautifully updated. I don''t think it could have been done any better!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
It looks amazing! I love the color of the walls, it''s so fresh and pretty! Love the transformation!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Looks awesome!!! Good luck selling the house I think this bathroom redo will DEFINITELY help!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 1:36:33 PM
Author: katamari
Wow, that is amazing! It looks so, so much better. And finding the time capsule was awesome! You are too generous for wanting to put things back--I would have framed them and displayed them somewhere (even as a bleeding heart, non-Phillies fan).

Since you are putting the house on the market, does this mean you accepted the job in SF?!

Yes! I accepted the job offer and I start in mid-September. Next week I will go into "beast mode" (as DH would say) on my dissertation and get that sucker wrapped up. I hope to defend the 3rd week of August.

I''m looking forward to getting those items displayed somehow as a relic of our first home. I have another shadow box type thing I''m going to do so I have some projects!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
SUCH a big and amazing difference!!
36.gif
Great job, guys!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks awesome!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely shade of blue. I don''t even want to think of the hours you put into the project!

Congrats on the renovation, and your new job. Wishing you lots of dust in selling your house
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Maevie, violet3, tuckins, elrohwen, LTP, luv2sparkle, Lilac, Callisto, rhb, D&T, and onvacation for the compliments! Hearing this makes me feel great about all of the effort we put in.

Our realtor just came by to take photos for our listing and she was so impressed with how much we got done in so little time and with the quality of the finish work. Makes me feel like this:
36.gif
16.gif
9.gif

onvacation- I hesitate to add up how many hours we spent on this together (plus the tons of help we received from one of DH''s friends who had done a little home reno before). We worked every weekend on it at least a little (and in the last 3 weekends, about 24 hours each one) except for 1 weekend when we were both away). We would still be laying floor tile if we hadn''t received support from our friends though. Really grateful for them!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Claritek, that is such a HUGE improvement! The way the second one comes together with the colors of white cabinetry and blue walls and gray stone accents looks high end and professionally staged. We remodeled both of the bathrooms of our house (but with pro help on the plumbing and electrical) so I know how much work went into it. The first bathroom we remodeled we rushed it because we were moving in so it is not ideal and parts I'd like to redo (maybe next year?). The second bathroom (though nowhere as nice as yours) we did more recently and are happy with it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 10:15:18 PM
Author: part gypsy
Wow Claritek, that is such a HUGE improvement! The way the second one comes together with the colors of white cabinetry and blue walls and gray stone accents looks high end and professionally staged. We remodeled both of the bathrooms of our house (but with pro help on the plumbing and electrical) so I know how much work went into it. The first bathroom we remodeled we rushed it because we were moving in so it is not ideal and parts I''d like to redo (maybe next year?). The second bathroom (though nowhere as nice as yours) we did more recently and are happy with it.

The last few weeks have been really rushed for us. 2 weeks ago we had the tile laid on the floor but it was ungrouted. Then we decided to list the house today so we knew it had to be photo ready. Not to mention we hadn''t even started on the closet in the guest room yet (pictures to come). Basically all of the finish work from there on was done since then. Installing trim was so labor intensive but it really makes the room. There are some details that could have been better that don''t show in the photos so I completely get what you mean by rushing for whatever reason.

Thanks for saying it looks professionally staged. Made my night! I''ve spent so much time obsessing over what the first glance at that room will be like for people walking through our home this weekend.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 3:06:02 PM
Author: Clairitek
Date: 4/8/2010 1:36:33 PM

Author: katamari

Yes! I accepted the job offer and I start in mid-September. Next week I will go into ''beast mode'' (as DH would say) on my dissertation and get that sucker wrapped up. I hope to defend the 3rd week of August.

I''m looking forward to getting those items displayed somehow as a relic of our first home. I have another shadow box type thing I''m going to do so I have some projects!

YAY! I hope you are able to sell your house at lighting speed!

I am in the same dissertating place as you. I am scheduled to defend in July, and it is going well, but I want to curl up in the fetal position and weep when I think about how much work I have to do in the next few months. Good luck to you!
36.gif
36.gif
34.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
AWESOME WORK! Looks professionally done, really! How neat about the fun artifacts you found too!!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
That looks fabulous!! I love how you opened it up with the closet door to the other bedroom, as well, and I think it will definitely help with selling it. The colors are so pretty and it looks like a very calming space to be in. You guys did a great job!

P.S. Nice to know I''m not the only one who insists on climbing in my lap the moment I attempt to sit down...in a chair, on the toilet, on the floor...he doesn''t care!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MagsyMay!

Date: 4/9/2010 12:50:58 AM
Author: Harleigh
That looks fabulous!! I love how you opened it up with the closet door to the other bedroom, as well, and I think it will definitely help with selling it. The colors are so pretty and it looks like a very calming space to be in. You guys did a great job!

P.S. Nice to know I''m not the only one who insists on climbing in my lap the moment I attempt to sit down...in a chair, on the toilet, on the floor...he doesn''t care!
Thanks Harleigh! Charlie has been a toilet sitter since we got him at 8 weeks old. Now he is so big he doesn''t totally fit so he normally shifts around for a bit to find a way to make it work. The only horrible part is when he misjudges the landing and ends up scraping up my thigh with his hind claws. Ouch!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Here is our closet. The inside walls are about 43" long. I am going to install shelving tonight. The door is a little small for the opening but the next size up was too big. We tried to make the opening the right size but missed a little. Ah, novice builders! Figuring out how to frame that obtuse angle was interesting but I think the way we did it worked out well. Sorry for the crazy angle on the right hand picture! Not sure what I was doing there...

(all pics are from my iPhone, hence the questionable clarity)

closetsidebyside.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Here is the rest of the guest room from the doorway (opening to the bathroom would be directly on my right from the doorway, closet too).

I decorated this room in October of last year. I made the headboard and based my inspiration on the rug that I got in clearance at Pier 1. I wanted a bright contrasting wall color. Had I known we would be selling the house so soon I woudl not have put such a bright color on the walls. We repainted 3/4 walls two days ago with left over paint from October. I just didn''t want to spend MORE money. I just hope my neutral leafy patterned accessories help tone it down. I have the greyish brown with green vine print rug, bamboo flat stick roman shades, white sheers, and the white and tan leaf printed duvet cover and neutral upholstered headboard. I guess we''ll see what buyers think this weekend!

guestroomsidebyside.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Upholstered heardboard. Got the idea to make my own from Young House Love. Charlie decided to rip off the top row of buttons so I have only the bottom row right now. At least I was able to locate all of the buttons! I''ll reattach sometime when I have a moment. Damn cat...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results