shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunblock Recs?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK so when I went to Costa Rica I had my trusty Neutrogena SPF 70 Dry Touch sunblock, thinking I was totally fine. I *have* learned to apply sunblock properly over the years- liberally! repeatedly! reapply if you wipe off! etc. Indeed, I didn't burn. But I did tan like crazy through it- I'm really annoyed and way, way darker than I like to be. Yay, freckles and sun damage :errrr:. I even freckled the crud out of my left foot, which had never had freckles before! Kept trying to wash them off for a week :angryfire:

Oh and I make my own mineral makeup powder foundation, and I didn't tan through *that*- it's primary ingredients are a physical sunblock, titanium dioxide & zinc oxide, with Z-Cote zinc added, which is a zinc that is so finely milled that it's a great SPF booster, almost totally translucent but very good sunblock. (And now my face is about five shades lighter than the rest of me, which just compounds the awesome :rolleyes:) So apparently the physical sunblock worked better than the chemical kind.

Anyway. Anybody got any sublock recommendations? (I have no clue why I tanned this time, and last time I went to CR barely at all, with the same brand of sunblock same SPF, fresh tube both times.) Bad luck? Just can't block 100% of the sun or something? Do people who live in sunny places just... tan no matter what? Maybe some sunblock that uses a physical block like zinc/tite white, or something?

And even before I'd left for CR I'd tanned some here in Seattle, through the same block (I wear it anytime I have my arms exposed in the summer). Maybe that tube was bad or something. Can that happen I wonder...?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i used Mychelle while in mexico and continue to use it here.

MoZo

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins thank you! That looks very, very handy. I couldn't believe that SPF 70 was not doing it for me.

Thanks mozo. Will check it out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Thank you movie zombie. How irritating, I had never even thought to question that the SPF claims were not accurate.

As a small makeup company owner, I was under the impression that the regulations on SPF claims by the FDA were stringent; for example I cannot claim my foundation powder to have a certain SPF (even if it *does* have a high SPF) without quite a lot of expensive testing. Ha, shows what I get by assuming- a boatload of new freckles :roll:

Maybe I'll just use the z-cote zinc in some basic lotion next time and call it good. I *know* that stuff works against UVA & UVB, and it wouldn't make a worse white residue than a lot of other sunblocks.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the Mychelle product goes on white but absorbs like a matte foundation. its also not eye irritating.

sounds like whichever product you use, you need to use lots and often.

MoZo

ps and wear a large brimmed hat! a 4 inch brim hat is ideal. hubby is australian and i've learned a lot about this kind of thing on visits there: aussies take sun damage and skin cancers seriously.....they even rate hats for sun protection!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Usually use aveeno for face (use it everywhere). I tend to burn very easily and wear sunblock most days. Now they make it in SPF100! I agree with your experience that a physical barrier is probably the most effective.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
the Mychelle product goes on white but absorbs like a matte foundation. its also not eye irritating.

MoZo

ps and wear a large brimmed hat! a 4 inch brim hat is ideal. hubby is australian and i've learned a lot about this kind of thing on visits there: aussies take sun damage and skin cancers seriously.....they even rate hats for sun protection!

Lol, oh my yes. My natural skin color is pretty much fish belly super duper extra white. My mom has really dark skin and she always boggles over watching me apply sunblock- I go through one of those 3 oz tubes in about three days or less if we're somewhere sunny. It leaves a nice white glow about me, ha.

I may have to break down and get a hat. I hate most "sun" hats but I might have to break down and hunt for a vintage black straw one for next time, or some other one that appeals to my peculiar tastes.

I know what I'll do. I'll mix some z-cote zinc into some sunblock. That ought to *actually* work.

Thanks Kelpie! Yes, sunblock is necessary for me most of the summer even in the Pacific NW. (Winter, I don't actually *see* the sun, so that takes care of that at least.)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
why mix it? why not layer it?

MoZo

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh, because you have to mix it with something. It comes in a powder form- it's just super finely milled zinc oxide, so micro fine it's very translucent but still covers. It has a faintly... sticky/clumpy feel with absolutely no slip, so you can't really apply it straight up as a powder; I can't really explain what the texture is like if you haven't felt it, but you can't really use it by itself, it needs to go either in lotion or in powder ( requires grinding if it's going into powder formulations).

I have put it in lotion before since DH refuses to touch sunblock so I spiked his regular lotion with it :wink2: It works best if you take a pump top thing, pour in some z-cote, pour the lotion in and shake like mad or stir w/ a plastic knife or something. Its still a bit lumpy but works. I've used it in regular lotion before. Sunblock might be a bit more of a buttpain to mix up and might need to be put in a ziploc baggie and mooshed and then put into another bottle with a pump top.

This is where I buy z-cote from: http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=409

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I tan very easily, and find that physical blocks prevent tanning better than chemical ones. No matter what the SPF rating is, I alway look for the percentage of zinc oxide or titanium dioxide - the higher, the better. Right now I use Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion in SPF 60 - it has 16% zinc oxide, but is lightweight and doesn't look too chalky. Plus, I love the smell of Shiseido products - very pleasant and not overpowering or medicinal. And good job with using sunscreen - it's really going to save your skin!

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie said:
Usually use aveeno for face (use it everywhere). I tend to burn very easily and wear sunblock most days. Now they make it in SPF100! I agree with your experience that a physical barrier is probably the most effective.

+1 for aveeno. i'm fair as can be and have never even gotten a hint of color while wearing aveeno sunblock. i use it everyday and LOVE it. it isn't stinky or greasy and it doesn't leave a gross white residue behind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleGreyKitten said:
OK so when I went to Costa Rica I had my trusty Neutrogena SPF 70 Dry Touch sunblock, thinking I was totally fine. I *have* learned to apply sunblock properly over the years- liberally! repeatedly! reapply if you wipe off! etc. Indeed, I didn't burn. But I did tan like crazy through it- I'm really annoyed and way, way darker than I like to be. Yay, freckles and sun damage :errrr:. I even freckled the crud out of my left foot, which had never had freckles before! Kept trying to wash them off for a week :angryfire:

Oh and I make my own mineral makeup powder foundation, and I didn't tan through *that*- it's primary ingredients are a physical sunblock, titanium dioxide & zinc oxide, with Z-Cote zinc added, which is a zinc that is so finely milled that it's a great SPF booster, almost totally translucent but very good sunblock. (And now my face is about five shades lighter than the rest of me, which just compounds the awesome :rolleyes:) So apparently the physical sunblock worked better than the chemical kind.

Anyway. Anybody got any sublock recommendations? (I have no clue why I tanned this time, and last time I went to CR barely at all, with the same brand of sunblock same SPF, fresh tube both times.) Bad luck? Just can't block 100% of the sun or something? Do people who live in sunny places just... tan no matter what? Maybe some sunblock that uses a physical block like zinc/tite white, or something?

And even before I'd left for CR I'd tanned some here in Seattle, through the same block (I wear it anytime I have my arms exposed in the summer). Maybe that tube was bad or something. Can that happen I wonder...?

A dermatologist I'm familiar with stated that you should not pay attention to SPF. All you need is SPF 30. SPF is just a selling ploy. The important thing to check for is ingredients. Use a sun block with a high percentage of either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, as these are natural minerals, quite harmless and very effective. She also said you should apply sun block like you're frosting a cake. It should be applied thick, but it disappers later, and waterproof is fine. I recommend any of the sun blocks you would find at an all natural store, or market, like Whole Foods. The active ingredients should be zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and very little else. She also said sunblock should be worn all year round, not just in summer since the sun is out 365 days a year. I wear sunblock everyday, and I'm middle aged, and people often confuse me for someone much younger. While I stay out of the sun, and wear sun block, I also take vitamin D supplements. It is very important to do that if you routinely use sun block, but avoiding UV rays is the best thing you can do for your skin. She also said it should be broad spectrum, eliminating UVA/UVB rays. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are broad spectrum natural sunblocks.

Many of the common brands do not have titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, and I find them less effective, even Aveeno brand. My SPF 55 Aveeno isn't as effective as my SPF 30 all natural sun block. I learned a lot from this dermatologist, and she's actually very famous in the field.

I have type 1 skin, which the sun is the most dangerous too. Only albinos are fairer than I am, so take it from me, I'm a sunblock advocate.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleGreyKitten said:
movie zombie said:

MoZo

Lol, oh my yes. My natural skin color is pretty much fish belly super duper extra white. My mom has really dark skin and she always boggles over watching me apply sunblock- I go through one of those 3 oz tubes in about three days or less if we're somewhere sunny. It leaves a nice white glow about me, ha.

I may have to break down and get a hat. I hate most "sun" hats but I might have to break down and hunt for a vintage black straw one for next time, or some other one that appeals to my peculiar tastes.

I know what I'll do. I'll mix some z-cote zinc into some sunblock. That ought to *actually* work.

Thanks Kelpie! Yes, sunblock is necessary for me most of the summer even in the Pacific NW. (Winter, I don't actually *see* the sun, so that takes care of that at least.)

coolibar.com has nice hats, sun protection clothing and accessories. Also, good customer service.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
LittleGreyKitten said:

A dermatologist I'm familiar with stated that you should not pay attention to SPF. All you need is SPF 30. SPF is just a selling ploy. The important thing to check for is ingredients. Use a sun block with a high percentage of either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, as these are natural minerals, quite harmless and very effective. She also said you should apply sun block like you're frosting a cake. It should be applied thick, but it disappers later, and waterproof is fine. I recommend any of the sun blocks you would find at an all natural store, or market, like Whole Foods. The active ingredients should be zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and very little else. She also said sunblock should be worn all year round, not just in summer since the sun is out 365 days a year. I wear sunblock everyday, and I'm middle aged, and people often confuse me for someone much younger. While I stay out of the sun, and wear sun block, I also take vitamin D supplements. It is very important to do that if you routinely use sun block, but avoiding UV rays is the best thing you can do for your skin. She also said it should be broad spectrum, eliminating UVA/UVB rays. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are broad spectrum natural sunblocks.

Many of the common brands do not have titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, and I find them less effective, even Aveeno brand. My SPF 55 Aveeno isn't as effective as my SPF 30 all natural sun block. I learned a lot from this dermatologist, and she's actually very famous in the field.

I have type 1 skin, which the sun is the most dangerous too. Only albinos are fairer than I am, so take it from me, I'm a sunblock advocate.

hey tourmaline_lover, which all natural sun block do you use? I'm all for trying something new and I hate putting unnecessary chemicals on my skin.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
TL, i would be interested too, for my redhead friend!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins said:
LittleGreyKitten said:
movie zombie said:

MoZo

coolibar.com has nice hats, sun protection clothing and accessories. Also, good customer service.

Cool! There's some hats I could like there. I would probably add stuff like a veil and/or silk poppies (because anything worth doing is worth overdoing at least as far as clothes are concerned :wink2: ). But there's definitely some that are gothy enough to entertain me. I'll definitely have to spend some quality time browsing there.

ETA: got this one: http://www.coolibar.com/02214.html Packable. I like packable. And cute, but needs black lace and stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results