shape
carat
color
clarity

So freaked out!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Slept on the living room couch last night because Im coming down with the flu and didnt want to infect DH. Woke up at 3am with a creeped out feeling. Looked around the living room and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so went back to sleep. When I got up at 6am I noticed the window screen 4 feet from the couch was open (window was shut). I then walked into the kitchen and noticed every single window screen in the back of the house was forcibly opened. The screen on the kitchen french doors was open as well and pulled off the hinges. :-o Thank goodness we keep all doors and windows locked. The idea that someone was trying to get in to the house is super scary!

Just ordered an extensive home security system/alarm. Plan to get motion detector lights today as well. Im trying to not go off the deep end into total pananoia land but would appreciate any tips for any other basic safety precautions I can take. Thank you!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Motion sensor lights on the corners of the house/driveway. Downside is, unless you have a generator, if power is cut, so is the flood lighting effect.

Hope you feel better today - there are some flu bugs that really wipe you out!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this happened to you...I had my house broken into, they didnt get anything because I had an alarm system and a rather large German Shepard, but it makes you feel so violated, I was creeped out for sometime afterwards, I eventually moved, my house was on the market at the time it happened. You are doing the right thing getting an alarm system, it will help with your peace of mind...and oh yea you could get a large dog..... :wink2:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1347724001|3268616 said:
Motion sensor lights on the corners of the house/driveway. Downside is, unless you have a generator, if power is cut, so is the flood lighting effect.

Hope you feel better today - there are some flu bugs that really wipe you out!
Thank you- I plan to get some today. I'll get some for the back as well as the corners of the house. And thankfully we already have a full house generator.

And thank you- I'm feeling better today. :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
diamondrnglover|1347724141|3268617 said:
Sorry this happened to you...I had my house broken into, they didnt get anything because I had an alarm system and a rather large German Shepard, but it makes you feel so violated, I was creeped out for sometime afterwards, I eventually moved, my house was on the market at the time it happened. You are doing the right thing getting an alarm system, it will help with your peace of mind...and oh yea you could get a large dog..... :wink2:
Oh man with as freaked out as I feel with just someone attempting entry, I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone actually broke in!! :errrr: We planned on getting a westie but we may reconsider and get a larger breed.

I think home depot carries little wireless alarms you can attach to screens as well that go off if the screen is tampered with. I may get those today as well.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dog wise, get the pet you want and that would fit in with your life/children/home rather than a big dog to scare off intruders. This situation is (HOPEFULLY!) a one of situation, but a pet is a lifetime commitment for the dog (10 - 15 years, depending on the breed). And... as scary as this thought is, a dog is NOT a security system because they could be harmed with a weapon just as easily as you could. YIKES :shock: I don't mean to say that to scare you. I'd get the dog you want and if it is a yappy/barking dog in certain situations, that could be enough of a deterrent.

Will the company doing the alarm system leave a sign you can post on your lawn? "This home is protected by XXXXXX company with 24/7 monitoring" that kind of sign??

Hope you get a good night sleep tonight.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - do you know any of your neighbors? would you know if any of them had been broken into last night? With so many of your screens messed with, the person(s) seemed mighty intent on getting in... it occurred to me perhaps yours was the 1st house they tried and since they couldn't get in, they moved on to another house on your block? Either way, are you reporting the attempted burglary to the police and is there any Neighborhood Watch in your area you can report this to as well?

So relieved to hear your doors/windows were all locked and that you are taking additional precautions today though - I would be (and have been) freaked out too!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's scary! Good idea to get an alarm system. GREAT news that you're ok, at least physically. Hope all is well from here on in!

--- Laurie

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1347725448|3268633 said:
Dog wise, get the pet you want and that would fit in with your life/children/home rather than a big dog to scare off intruders. This situation is (HOPEFULLY!) a one of situation, but a pet is a lifetime commitment for the dog (10 - 15 years, depending on the breed). And... as scary as this thought is, a dog is NOT a security system because they could be harmed with a weapon just as easily as you could. YIKES :shock: I don't mean to say that to scare you. I'd get the dog you want and if it is a yappy/barking dog in certain situations, that could be enough of a deterrent.

Will the company doing the alarm system leave a sign you can post on your lawn? "This home is protected by XXXXXX company with 24/7 monitoring" that kind of sign??

Hope you get a good night sleep tonight.
Of course you're right about the dog- but my knee-jerk reaction is to go buy 10 full grown pit bulls! :)

And yes we'll have a sign that says our house is alarmed as well as window stickers.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1347725656|3268635 said:
OP - do you know any of your neighbors? would you know if any of them had been broken into last night? With so many of your screens messed with, the person(s) seemed mighty intent on getting in... it occurred to me perhaps yours was the 1st house they tried and since they couldn't get in, they moved on to another house on your block? Either way, are you reporting the attempted burglary to the police and is there any Neighborhood Watch in your area you can report this to as well?

So relieved to hear your doors/windows were all locked and that you are taking additional precautions today though - I would be (and have been) freaked out too!
I spoke with one neighbor and nothing was amiss at her home. The other neighbor wasn't there. And didn't call the police because I didn't think there was anything to be done as no one actually broke in. But I should call to report the attempt. No neighborhood watch program. In almost 20 years at this house this is the first break in attempt at our home and I haven't heard of any within our neighborhood in this entire time.

Off to call the police!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
10 full grown pit bulls?? I'd consider your whole STREET safe, with that plan!! :lol:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1347726981|3268644 said:
Oh, that's scary! Good idea to get an alarm system. GREAT news that you're ok, at least physically. Hope all is well from here on in!

--- Laurie
Thank you :) I'm a bit freaked out but think I'll feel better with some added security in place.

It's crazy to think that when I was growing up we never locked our front door and slept with all the windows open during the summer without one incident. Kind of sad how times have changed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how scary.

One suggestion if possible is to design landscaping and fences so neighbors have a view of every one of your doors and windows.

Keep a dog in the house that will bark.
Ours are VERY alert to anyone approaching the house.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's scary! I don't have any suggestions, but for what it's worth it sounds like you're taking the appropriate precautions. Try not to let it keep you up at night...easier said than done I'm sure.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1347728165|3268657 said:
10 full grown pit bulls?? I'd consider your whole STREET safe, with that plan!! :lol:
Exactly! :appl: We lived in a semi-sketchy area of LA when I was young and we had an awesome pitbull. He was my own personal body guard. Big "scary" dogs certainly give one a sense of security.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1347728754|3268665 said:
Wow, how scary.

One suggestion if possible is to design landscaping and fences so neighbors have a view of every one of your doors and windows.

Keep a dog in the house that will bark.
Ours are VERY alert to anyone approaching the house.
Good suggestion Kenny! The front is already set up like that. Problem is the back- woods line the back of my house and street.

We do plan on getting a dog- DH and DS picked a westie as their choice. I've read they can be territorial and will bark if someone comes to the house. I'm sure given their small size they'd be unlikely to scare a potential bad guy but at least we'd be alerted from the barking.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
ihy138|1347728994|3268668 said:
That's scary! I don't have any suggestions, but for what it's worth it sounds like you're taking the appropriate precautions. Try not to let it keep you up at night...easier said than done I'm sure.
Good news! I called the local sherrif's office and they already caught the would be burglars! :appl: Well I guess they are actual burgers as they were caught IN a house down the road. I guess the homeowner heard noise in the middle of the night and thought it was her kids. When she went to check, she found her kids asleep in bed. She went downstairs and saw 2 young guys running out her back door. She called the police and they were caught with a lot of her stuff and other neighbors' things too that they'd stolen from their cars.

I think I'll sleep much better tonight. :))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would also have some type of personal protection.....pepper spray, baseball bat, etc. if you're opposed to firearms.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1347733730|3268711 said:
i would also have some type of personal protection.....pepper spray, baseball bat, etc. if you're opposed to firearms.
Oh I forgot about that! Thank you! I'll get some type of pepper spray right away. I actually wanted a taser but mine is one of the few states where it's illegal for a civilian to own one.

I know it's a hot topic but I'm not opposed to owning guns. I grew up in a hunting, pro gun family but have never shot or even held a real gun. Before I'd consider owning one or having one in my home, I'd have to take some classes.

ETA: I just looked it up and it looks like the taser laws in MI changed in May so that a civilian may own a taser if he has a Concealed-carry permit.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
since you're not opposed to firearms and already know how to use them, i hope you proceed with seeking one for self-protection....in addition to the other types of self-protection mentioned.

not to freak you out further but anyone that took that much time with that many windows really wanted in........make sure what the rules are in your state for self-protection use of firearms and other things. perhaps your state has a requirement to "retreat" and if so it pays to know that. if also pays to know what to say and not to say should you ever find yourself having to explain to LE why you shot someone.

this is my sig in another forum:

Gun Control: "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."

you've taken a lot of good precautions. stay safe and know the law.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent news that the 2 burglars were caught! You should sleep like a baby tonight!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be freaked too! Sorry that happened but yay that they caught them. I love having a security system. It helps me sleep at night.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
MZ- while I'm ok with the idea of civilians owning firearms, I personally am not at this point because I don't know how to use a gun. I've never even held a real gun in my life. I just never had any interest. But now that I have a child to keep safe I really do need to have some kind of plan in place. I mean if someone had broken in last night, my only option would have been to barricade myself and DS in a room and call 911. The idea of being defenseless really frightens me.

I do think the security system is a good start. The one I purchased has a crazy loud alarm and you can program it to turn on every light in the house - that seems like it'd deter most criminals. I'll have to have a serious talk with DH to explore all our options. Thank you for your advice!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
delete dup

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
baseball bat....a wooden one. seriously. your security system sounds awesome! :appl:

oh, and it was the birth of my daughter that got me to give up my pacifistic ways........

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LALove, so glad you are OK and that the police already have the criminals in custody! So scary!!

We recently got a home security system (Frontpoint security) at our beach house- not because anything has happened here or in the area but just because we are in the suburbs and suburbs make me nervous! I wanted to feel 100% safe while sleeping at night and that is the main reason we got it. When we go to bed we just arm the system and if anybody tries to get in the alarm goes off and our security system calls the police. My dh was against getting one (we never had one before) but I did the research and I have to say I love the system we have. It is so easy to use, we can arm or disarm it remotely (makes it super easy when we need people to come and do work etc as we don't live here full time) and customer service (24 hours) is amazing. It's all wireless so nobody can cut wires and disarm the system. Sorry I sound like an advertisement for the system but I couldn't be more pleased with it.

The main impetus (for me) for getting a home security system was not concern about someone breaking in when we are not here (though that would suck) but someone breaking in when we are here! Scary beyond words- especially after that heartbreaking case in Connecticut. That story has stayed with me all these years. Terrifying and tragic beyond words. :cry:

Anyway, I highly recommend a security system. Peace of mind is priceless!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1347753117|3268837 said:
baseball bat....a wooden one. seriously. your security system sounds awesome! :appl:

oh, and it was the birth of my daughter that got me to give up my pacifistic ways........
I actually have a girlfriend who used a bat against an intruder just last year. She was home alone with her 7 year old daughter and heard glass break on the first floor. All she thought of was keeping her daughter safe. She grabbed a bat and ran downstairs. She saw a guy in her den and charged him! When she ran at him with a bat he took off and jumped through the window he broke to get in. They got a home security system the following week. It's crazy what you are capable of doing when it comes to your kids safety.

Id like to think I'd be brave enough to attack an intruder with a bat but you never know until you're in that position. I do know that I would do anything to keep my son safe but my first reaction would have probably been to get into a room, block the door and call 911.

Another girlfriend of mine used a gun on a would be bad guy. This was at least a decade ago. Her husband was out of town and she was home with her young daughter and her daughter's girlfriend. Someone knocked on their door at 10 at night. When she answered the door it was some creepy drunk guy who tried to forcibly enter the home. She was able to close and lock the door and call the police. But the guy was kicking the door down. So, she grabbed her husbands shot gun and opened the front door and told him to get the blank off her porch or she'd shoot. The guy backed down and the police then showed up and arrested him. This friend grew up shooting guns (target practice) so knew how to use one. They even taught their daughter how to shoot a gun at 16- classes and lots of target range practicing. Their reason was so she'd be able to defend herself when home alone.

It just seems like a gun gives you the best odds of making it out of a dangerous situation. I was amazed that my first friend went after an intruder with just a bat. What if he'd had a gun??

I definitely plan on looking at all our options.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1347753549|3268843 said:
LALove, so glad you are OK and that the police already have the criminals in custody! So scary!!

We recently got a home security system (Frontpoint security) at our beach house- not because anything has happened here or in the area but just because we are in the suburbs and suburbs make me nervous! I wanted to feel 100% safe while sleeping at night and that is the main reason we got it. When we go to bed we just arm the system and if anybody tries to get in the alarm goes off and our security system calls the police. My dh was against getting one (we never had one before) but I did the research and I have to say I love the system we have. It is so easy to use, we can arm or disarm it remotely (makes it super easy when we need people to come and do work etc as we don't live here full time) and customer service (24 hours) is amazing. It's all wireless so nobody can cut wires and disarm the system. Sorry I sound like an advertisement for the system but I couldn't be more pleased with it.

The main impetus (for me) for getting a home security system was not concern about someone breaking in when we are not here (though that would suck) but someone breaking in when we are here! Scary beyond words- especially after that heartbreaking case in Connecticut. That story has stayed with me all these years. Terrifying and tragic beyond words. :cry:

Anyway, I highly recommend a security system. Peace of mind is priceless!
Thanks Missy! I'm so happy they were caught too! I think tonight would be pretty rough if they hadn't been.

That is the security system we purchased!! It seems awesome! I love the wireless connection and the fact that the police are notified if you don't answer your phone. Did you know you can program it to turn on lights in your home if the alarm is triggered? Who would continue breaking in with a loud alarm going off and a totally lit up house? And the price was surprisingly reasonable.

The case in Connecticut is so so sad. You hear about these sad/horrifying stories quite often but it really was something I thought would never happen to us. That's why we never purchased a security system but that was pretty naive. Either way, better safe than sorry.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
LALove|1347752860|3268833 said:
MZ- while I'm ok with the idea of civilians owning firearms, I personally am not at this point because I don't know how to use a gun. I've never even held a real gun in my life. I just never had any interest. But now that I have a child to keep safe I really do need to have some kind of plan in place. I mean if someone had broken in last night, my only option would have been to barricade myself and DS in a room and call 911. The idea of being defenseless really frightens me.

I do think the security system is a good start. The one I purchased has a crazy loud alarm and you can program it to turn on every light in the house - that seems like it'd deter most criminals. I'll have to have a serious talk with DH to explore all our options. Thank you for your advice!

Did you get the professional installation and home assessment with it? We found it well worth it given that we have pets. The installer knew how to position the motion sensors so that our pets wouldn't set them off. They also had fantastic suggestions like placing contacts on a sliding door that could be accessible using a ladder. Another consideration is where your electrical box is located. Ours is inside, so we have our system set so that somebody could break into the garage, but not the house. If our electrical box were in the garage we would have had to set it up differently. Just things I didn't think of.

A professional installer can also wire in smoke detectors and CO detectors so the authorities are alerted if there is a problem. Its peace of mind with small pets.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
LALove|1347732101|3268702 said:
ihy138|1347728994|3268668 said:
Well I guess they are actual burgers as they were caught IN a house down the road.
They sound scary but DELICIOUS! (glad they got the bad guys/meats!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results