shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeping Beauty - I CANNOT believe some Peeps!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:16:49 PM
Author: doodle
AAAARRRGGHH!!! IndyLady, I don''t mean to be fussy, but your signature line makes me nuts because I seriously wind up reading it with the rest of your post EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. For the record, I actually like the sentiment of the quote; I just get on my own nerves reading it with your posts all the time, haha! Anywho, not that anything I just said was relevant in any way. I''m just goofy. Carry on!
9.gif

LOL I always do that, too! There needs to be a dividing line before the signatures - maybe 2.0 will have it?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:18:12 PM
Author: Amethyste
Date: 6/2/2010 11:13:58 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

Definitely remove the picture. That is just stooping to childish levels by the fact that you even felt the need to TAKE the picture - posting it online is just disrespectful.

As far as the sleeping, you say she's been dozing off and on for 6 years. If that's the case, then the moment she asked to nap you should have told her you would prefer she didn't. Since you decided to just suffer in silence, then you don't have much room to complain, Ames.

no I said she has been doing this behavior in the last 1 of the 6 I have been doing her nails.

Whoops, sorry, I misread. But after a year of her coming back to you what, once a month, maybe more? You should be comfortable enough to make the request.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:13:18 PM
Author: fiery
Aren''t acrylics less than gels? Did you charge her less?

Usually they are in different salons - but what I use, my acrylics products are pretty much in the same cost line as my gels - that''s why I price them the same.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2010 10:54:03 PM
but to actually sleep like this, she must know that it is almost impossible for me to do my job.

Did you tell her?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:15:03 PM

That''s a good point. I would be pretty ticked off and wouldn''t have tipped you, either.

For crying out loud, i charge $25! - you go to the nail shop around the corner and some of them charge even more just for acrylics. Enough with assuming I screwed her out of money - cause i surely didn''t.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, based on the replies we''ve gotten so far from Ames (yes, you''re getting nicknamed now because you called me "Noodle". Deal with it.
3.gif
SOOOO just teasing you, btw!!!), I''m going to just assume that the main gist of this thread was to get a bit of sympathy for your frustration at having a napper while you were working, and I''ll just throw in that I''m sorry you had a difficult day with work, and I hope that, in the future, this client won''t pose such difficulties for you. I''m sure it must be very irritating to be attempting to provide someone with a service that you feel isn''t being appreciated or respected.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2010 10:43:59 PM

Tips may not be required, but if I was sleeping when someone's doing my nails and i know how hard the tech had to work while I dozed off, there would certainly be a tip for her extra effort.

Again, you are assuming she understands what you had to go through.
Perhaps she's clueless.

Tell her.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:23:21 PM
Author: kenny
Date: 6/2/2010 10:54:03 PM

but to actually sleep like this, she must know that it is almost impossible for me to do my job.

Did you tell her?

I thought it was pretty obvious? But I guess it was not for her after all. She did say at the end that "It was pretty convenient for her to rest while I was working on her nails... And I did say that it was a difficult for me this time. But she also said that is why she comes, cause I do the best I can even with her strange requests.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:23:44 PM
Date: 6/2/2010 11:15:03 PM

That''s a good point. I would be pretty ticked off and wouldn''t have tipped you, either.

For crying out loud, i charge $25! - you go to the nail shop around the corner and some of them charge even more just for acrylics. Enough with assuming I screwed her out of money - cause i surely didn''t.

I don''t mean to be rude Ame because I know how terrible it is to have had a stressful day (or evening at work) and I can only imagine how stressed you are now. But this tone and really your tone in your replies is a bit uncalled for. MP and I don''t know how much you charge. At my nail place, acrylics is way less than gel. That''s why I asked.

The fact is that you are the expert, not her. While it may seem obvious to you that a nap is not a good idea, it may not be obvious to her. You also say that she''s been dozing off and on for the past year so since nothing has been said, she probably figures it''s not a big deal.

Next time mention it to her.

Also, you keep mentioning the service you provided to her but really the service she expected was gel and that is not what she received.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's been a client for 6 years?? This isn't a stranger. YOU know her, so should have said something. Meaning like Mrs S, I see you are tired, but I can't do this work when you are dozing off. Would you like to come back tomorrow?? Or you could say, I see you are exhausted, is everything OK?? Would you want her driving home like that??

Is that unreasonable?? I dunno. If it were my client, and had been one for the past 6 years... I would go the extra mile to make sure all was ok with her. But that's how I roll.
5.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:30:32 PM

I don''t mean to be rude Ame because I know how terrible it is to have had a stressful day (or evening at work) and I can only imagine how stressed you are now. But this tone and really your tone in your replies is a bit uncalled for. MP and I don''t know how much you charge. At my nail place, acrylics is way less than gel. That''s why I asked.

The fact is that you are the expert, not her. While it may seem obvious to you that a nap is not a good idea, it may not be obvious to her. You also say that she''s been dozing off and on for the past year so since nothing has been said, she probably figures it''s not a big deal.

Next time mention it to her.

Also, you keep mentioning the service you provided to her but really the service she expected was gel and that is not what she received.

She gets either - gel or acrylics - as I said before - we do both - gels for french and or acrylics for color. I decided to start with gels today, and then she went to sleep - so I finished the hand with gels and I knew I couldn''t possibly finish the other hand that way, so I did the other method so the result would be more uniform and risk less chances to get an un-even application and ruining the overall result. I certainly didn''t cheat her in any way - I used what I know to her advantage.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:34:51 PM
Author: Kaleigh
She's been a client for 6 years?? This isn't a stranger. YOU know her, so should have said something.
2.gif

Yeah I could have said something - and I did at the end ( see Kenny's post ), but I was so stunned I kinda went into thinking mode to get it done right, cause there was no way to re-schedule her apt as she is being part of a recital on friday, so tonight was the night. I do know how she is, and she is a tough cookie.

ooops - looks looks like you edited your post after I replied. No reason to be worried, she didn't drive - her husband drives her around. That's how she rolls.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste -- you''ve posted before about how you go out of your way to provide service to people elderly people based on their need, and (if I recall correctly) how one of them is very rude and demanding and you basically put up with it. I''m not sure if this client is in the same category. Someone going out of their way -- at their own expense -- to make other people happy and then feeling used when those people take advantage of it rather than showing appropriate gratitude is a very old story. In the pop psychology world it''s called people pleasing behavior. IMHO the antidote is to charge appropriately and make appropriate demands of your clients -- i.e., charge and act like a professional, speak up when their demands are out of line. And BTW professional behavior includes does not include gel -- or rather acrylic -- and tell!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:44:56 PM
Author: VRBeauty
Amethyste -- you've posted before about how you go out of your way to provide service to people elderly people based on their need, and (if I recall correctly) how one of them is very rude and demanding and you basically put up with it. I'm not sure if this client is in the same category. Someone going out of their way -- at their own expense -- to make other people happy and then feeling used when those people take advantage of it rather than showing appropriate gratitude is a very old story. In the pop psychology world it's called people pleasing behavior. IMHO the antidote is to charge appropriately and make appropriate demands of your clients -- i.e., charge and act like a professional, speak up when their demands are out of line. And BTW professional behavior includes does not include gel -- or rather acrylic -- and tell!

Yes, I do go out of my way to make people happy - and 98% of them really do appreciate it. There is always 1 or 2 that no matter what you do, it will never be enough or good enough. I certainly could charge more, but why? I don't own a salon, I do not have overhead - so I feel that I am pretty competitive and reasonable in what I charge. I do need to speak up when something is not appropriate and I usually do. But tonight, I just didn't because I knew I couldn't re-schedule her and I really didn't know what to say or approach this as this never happened before and took me by surprise!

And as for the gel/acrylics thing, we mix and match all the time, 2 or her nails always get acrylics cause they crack vertically - so when I do "gels" it's always a thin layer on top of the acrylic. It took me a while to figure out a system that works for her, so she is aware we mix and match all the time - depending on what she needs - what shape her nails come in - and what she wants for final finish ( color or french ).

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:30:32 PM

While it may seem obvious to you that a nap is not a good idea, it may not be obvious to her. You also say that she's been dozing off and on for the past year so since nothing has been said, she probably figures it's not a big deal.

I do understand the nodding here and there and a lot of people do that from time to time - but It is the first time though she plopped her head down and actually slept! - and that, caught me off-guard, coupled with the fact that she couldn't reschedule - I had another client coming in later this evening, I tried all that I could to get her enhancement service as requested and being respectful to my other client's scheduled time as well. I ended up with a spare 7 mins, but it was a bit stressful. I could have called my other client to tell her to come later, but she lives 35 mins from where I am so by the time she started napping - my other client was already on her way.

I understand that most of you think I am on a high horse and I have a bad attitude. I can see where you all are coming from - it's much harder to actually "BE" in this kind of situation and make every decisions right when caught in that moment. I am very honest person - i'd never cheat anyone out of money - or do less than I could with the "I don't care attitude". I am EXTREMELY proud of the work I do and put my all in what I do. I was a bit frustrated cause I have given her a lot of my time and care and the fact she slept felt to me that she didn't really care or thought out of the extra work it would cause to perform this service and I did take it to heart. I am a little hurt that most of you jumped to the conclusion that I cheated/deceived her. I do understand that my original post was pretty dry, and that it could have been interpreted as a "high horse" attitude - After doing nails for 15 years - tonight it took the cake and it bothered me. Maybe to most of my clients I am "just a nailtech", but above all, I am person and being slept on while I am trying to do a good job felt to me as disrespectful. I thought the picture (though blurry,grainy and low quality ) was non-invasive and added a light touch to the hurt emotion I felt - I understand you all thought it was not appropriate, I didn't think it was a problem since I never mentionned her name, or showed any facial feature, so I did ask the Mod to remove it if they felt it should. Anyhow, I just wanted to say sorry if I hurt any of you in the way I expressed myself, trying to explain my point of view and what I can go through "servicing" people. Thanks for trying to understand me, offering advice and listening.

All, have a good night and I hope our paths will cross again in the near future...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, still not seeing it. I have gotten gels and acrylics and as I can''t really sleep unless I''m laying down I''ve never even snoozed while getting nails done. My biggest issue with your posts is that you come across as passive agressive and entitled. It''s not HER fault you don''t enforce your boundaries and demand respect. You come across as feeling smug and juvinile because you punished her for sleeping by NOT giving her what she paid for (doesn''t matter is the chicken and the pork are the same price... if I order chicken you better not give me pork!)-- which was a full set of gels THEN YOU POST HER PIC ON THE NET. And then you defend yourself for your actions with a bunch of BS ''justifications'' instead of just saying "You know what, I did lose it. I''m human. Next time I will just tell her to please stay awake. Mea Culpa."

Regarding the tip. Either your work is worth the price you charge or it isn''t. Either raise your rates, so you don''t resent not getting a tip, or deal with the fact that sometimes people don''t tip.

It''s not the I don''t get respecting people in the service profession. I''m just of the opinion that if someone is disrespecting you-- you address it head on, instead of passive aggressively getting in your kicks at the other person''s expense. IMO, falling asleep while getting your nails done is nto nearly as bad as your stylist taking it upon herself to change your order then violating your privacy by taking a pic of you when you are vulnerable and defenseless then posting it. That''s just meanspirited. So yeah... no sympathy here.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I dunno... I could see myself doing that. Sometimes I get so sleepy that it''s not really possible to keep my eyes open and remain coherent. Unfortunate that it happened while she was with you... I don''t think I would have been offended, I think I would have been amused and i don''t think asking for the towel or even telling me to pass it would have registered... I WOULD have said something like okay that''s fine but if it becomes impossible for me to do my job I will either have to wake you or reschedule.....

... I don''t think I would have tipped if the job I asked for (gels) wasn''t done... you should have woken her up! Or refused and told her it wasn''t going to work for you.

Sorry Amey!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:36:13 PM
Date: 6/2/2010 10:23:42 PM

Author: heraanderson

I dunno. I think it''s way worse that you put acrylics on one hand and gels on the other! She came in to get gels put on and you are supposed to put them on her. I can totally understand that she got a little snoozy as I have totally closed my eyes and nodded off a little (She was a little excessive). While I can understand you having your feathers ruffled, I don''t think that''s an excuse to do what you did.

Well, excuse me! ... Try to go gels on someone that has limp fingers trying to work backwards to put the hand in the machine without touching anything and wreck what you just did? Obviously, you were not offering the service nor know how hard it is to do such meticulous work on a dead hand! Gels and acrylics are in the same family - they are all resin/plastic. Secondly, she polishes her nails - once the gel is cured, I remove the sticky layer and file the nails to shape - when it is at that stage, there is not really a difference between the 2 - especially once they are polished. She has done both in her life. She ''usually'' do a french so hence the gel route - but has not done that in the last 2-3 months.

It was that way or me telling her that I cannot do the service or spend 2 hours trying to maneuver my way around her state.

I think she got a REALLY good service - considering the weird contortions I had to do to get there.
I know this upset you and I''m afraid that you''re going to be disagreed with her for the most part, even from me, but I still adore you :) I just think that it would have been better to wake her and say, "this isn''t working" and explain to her the options she had available.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 12:44:43 AM
Author: Gypsy
Yeah, still not seeing it. I have gotten gels and acrylics and as I can''t really sleep unless I''m laying down I''ve never even snoozed while getting nails done. My biggest issue with your posts is that you come across as passive agressive and entitled. It''s not HER fault you don''t enforce your boundaries and demand respect. You come across as feeling smug and juvinile because you punished her for sleeping by NOT giving her what she paid for (doesn''t matter is the chicken and the pork are the same price... if I order chicken you better not give me pork!)-- which was a full set of gels THEN YOU POST HER PIC ON THE NET. And then you defend yourself for your actions with a bunch of BS ''justifications'' instead of just saying ''You know what, I did lose it. I''m human. Next time I will just tell her to please stay awake. Mea Culpa.''

Regarding the tip. Either your work is worth the price you charge or it isn''t. Either raise your rates, so you don''t resent not getting a tip, or deal with the fact that sometimes people don''t tip.

It''s not the I don''t get respecting people in the service profession. I''m just of the opinion that if someone is disrespecting you-- you address it head on, instead of passive aggressively getting in your kicks at the other person''s expense. IMO, falling asleep while getting your nails done is nto nearly as bad as your stylist taking it upon herself to change your order then violating your privacy by taking a pic of you when you are vulnerable and defenseless then posting it. That''s just meanspirited. So yeah... no sympathy here.

She did not get a full set - she got a 9 day fill - to be ready for her recital. Why you think I did punish her!?! i gave her a fill and a nice one at that even in the situation I was in. - as I said before, we mix and match all the time between acrylics and gels - cause her nails require different things. So to me, I didn''t cheat her out of anything - I gave her exactly what she paid for. I was frustrated and sorry if i came across as juvenile. My fault, just had a bad day.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 12:56:10 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I know this upset you and I''m afraid that you''re going to be disagreed with her for the most part, even from me, but I still adore you :) I just think that it would have been better to wake her and say, ''this isn''t working'' and explain to her the options she had available.

This. I fully understand your anger, but it could have been solved if you had spoken up - I hope you do next time, if she tries it again!
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:14:06 PM
The blurry picture - seeing hair and a blue hand is really that terrible ( there is no facial features showing )? I didn''t say her name or stated where she lives... If the moderator wants to remove the picture, it''s fine - but I don''t think I am revealing much of the person...

Noodle - Yes, she is demanding and is a difficult person to handle.

She paid for nail enhancements. My gels and acrylics are the same price ( $25 with no repair and $3o with repairs )- She did get fabulous nails in the end. 2 different process, but same results - so I didn''t cheated her. I would have cheated her if I continued doing gels and having them all bumpy in the end . I was through working on 4 nails when she decided to fall asleep. As I already started to work on her, and all her nails were free of polish and part sanded down - it was not really possible to stop and tell her to comeback another time - so I used my knowledge to render her service in the best possible way I could at that time.

Rescheduling for her is a hard thing to do - she is very much involved in her home and her activities.
and actually you CAN send her home with her nails only partly done if that is what SHE wants. There is *nothing* wrong with you setting boundaries and it is her choice to live within them or not.

As for the pic, eh - I''m on the fence. It doesn''t show anything that would give her away to anyone anywhere ever so IMO no harm no foul... but I do understand the underlying principle that has some people offended about it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said you were so stunned she did that, but then you said she''s been doing this for years and has been your client for 6 years. If you know how she is, then why so surprised? And if you have never said anything to her before, she obviously doesn''t know it''s more difficult for you when she naps. AND as you said she obviously feels confident and trusting in you. Next time, speak up and let her know how you need it to be, OR fire her as a client if she''s such a PITA.

When I get pedicures I practically pass out in the chair during the massage so I can sympathize with her, getting nails done is relaxing!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 1:05:27 AM
Author: Mara
You said you were so stunned she did that, but then you said she''s been doing this for years and has been your client for 6 years. If you know how she is, then why so surprised? And if you have never said anything to her before, she obviously doesn''t know it''s more difficult for you when she naps. AND as you said she obviously feels confident and trusting in you. Next time, speak up and let her know how you need it to be, OR fire her as a client if she''s such a PITA.

When I get pedicures I practically pass out in the chair during the massage so I can sympathize with her, getting nails done is relaxing!

as I said in a previous post - she has been nodding here and there, but its the first time she ever plopped her head down and actually napped. falling asleep on a pedicure is very common, its a little less involving than getting your hands done - you don''t have to switch your hands every 10 seconds back and forth in the uvlight machine to cure your nails.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:19:06 PM
Date: 6/2/2010 11:16:49 PM

Author: doodle

AAAARRRGGHH!!! IndyLady, I don''t mean to be fussy, but your signature line makes me nuts because I seriously wind up reading it with the rest of your post EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. For the record, I actually like the sentiment of the quote; I just get on my own nerves reading it with your posts all the time, haha! Anywho, not that anything I just said was relevant in any way. I''m just goofy. Carry on!
9.gif

LOL I always do that, too! There needs to be a dividing line before the signatures - maybe 2.0 will have it?

Let me see if I can put in a dividing line...
1.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 1:03:22 AM
Date: 6/3/2010 12:56:10 AM

Author: Cehrabehra

I know this upset you and I'm afraid that you're going to be disagreed with her for the most part, even from me, but I still adore you :) I just think that it would have been better to wake her and say, 'this isn't working' and explain to her the options she had available.

This. I fully understand your anger, but it could have been solved if you had spoken up - I hope you do next time, if she tries it again!
1.gif

I did send her an email ( I waited a bit to send her or say anything to her cause i wanted to make sure i did make sense and cool headed ) - that's the only way she communicates - I did mention to her that we'll need to figure out another way or time cause doing this when she's sleeping is hard to do and myself be totally happy with the whole service provided. We'll see what she says...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 1:05:27 AM
Author: Mara

haha - I was thinking the same thing - I get a mani/pedi every week and sometimes I just lay back and my eyes - they just close on their own! I swear! lol

Does it have anything to do with conversation? You are a pretty social person from what I can tell, do you rely on conversation to help you get through the mundane tasks? I always feel like I owe it to my service person to have some conversation but I don''t speak chinese so it''s easier to just fall asleep!

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
At that age is not rare to be sleeply/tired, beta blockers and many cardio vascular drugs can keep you awake at night, sleep apnea also comes to mind, you don''t have to be large and snoring....tired/older lungs can make you sleepy just by walking a few steps and may be the reason why she''s not driving.
I''m sure you didn''t cheat her at all Ame, but if you can''t deal with her, next time let another person take care of her. Not sure if a picture was necessary, her hair looks nice though.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I find it hard to believe that you are very proud of your work if you sneakily gave her acrylics instead of gels, boasted about it on the internet and then posted a picture of your client without her permission! Instead of telling her in a few words that she needed to wake up in order for you to complete your service, you instead gave her a dodgy job and then came here to grizzle?!

In my book that''s totally unprofessional. And you are mad that you didn''t get a tip? You didn''t deserve one, sorry.

I accidently fell asleep having a deluxe mani/hand massage right before my wedding. I paid $100 for the service and I was flat out exhausted and stressed and when I got there, I didn''t even realise I was sleepy unti she woke me up to tell me that the french manicure looked terrible as I had fell asleep. You are the professional for crying out loud, why on earth didn''t you wake me up 10 mins ago to tell me that I was stuffing up the polish?!?!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you are upset. However, I also don''t see the problem to be as big as you make it out to be. She has a habit of dozing off, as you said, and my guess is she was just really, really tired.

In my opinion, you should have woken her up gently to tell her you wouldn''t be able to do her gels if she was napping, not done gels on one hand and acrylics on the other without telling her.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 1:42:49 AM
Author: Rachel9
At that age is not rare to be sleeply/tired, beta blockers and many cardio vascular drugs can keep you awake at night, sleep apnea also comes to mind, you don''t have to be large and snoring....tired/older lungs can make you sleepy just by walking a few steps and may be the reason why she''s not driving.

I''m sure you didn''t cheat her at all Ame, but if you can''t deal with her, next time let another person take care of her. Not sure if a picture was necessary, her hair looks nice though.

She doesn''t drive cause she doesn''t see well at night/when the sun goes down. I do nails at my home - there are no other techs sharing my space, so i cannot just "let another" take care of her. Unless I tell her I don''t want to provide her with services, then she''ll have to find someone else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results