shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Bookshelves!

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Jennifer W|1332433413|3154340 said:
Okie, in spite of recently qualifying as a lawyer, I had NO idea that is what they were. How funny!

Well then, how appropriate! That's what I've always heard them called (in the US, anyway), lawyer's bookcase, or barrister's bookcase.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, if you don't mind me asking, what shade of gray (grey?) is that on your walls? I love it and am painting our master bedroom gray (grey?!?) next weekend.

And since you're a grammar goddess, is it GRAY or GREY? I never know. :confused:

Ooh, and is it "if you don't MY asking" or "if you don't mind ME asking?" I need a grammar app on my phone......

And sorry for the jacking.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Travel Goddess!

The paint is Restoration Hardware's Slate color. It looks really dark, but we have so many windows in that space that it works really well. I've been longing to paint our walls this color for years, but DH was convinced it would be too dark. Recently, the local RH painted their walls Slate, we walked in, and DH said, "What about this color, it's so nice." :roll:

DH was also convinced the paint would be poor quality, but it turned out to be really nice. The one recommendation I have is to ask how long they've had the cans sitting in the back of the store. Since they don't mix the paint right there for you when you buy it, you want to have the newest arrivals. Not that you know if they're telling the truth, but it won't hurt to ask.

"Grey" is typically used in the UK, "gray" in the US. Although, I think I spell it "grey" more often than not. Both are correct.

As for your other question, I'm not even going to touch it. :cheeky: There's an interesting discussion about it here:
http://www.italki.com/answers/question/65803.htm

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332444277|3154465 said:
Hi, Travel Goddess!

The paint is Restoration Hardware's Slate color. It looks really dark, but we have so many windows in that space that it works really well. I've been longing to paint our walls this color for years, but DH was convinced it would be too dark. Recently, the local RH painted their walls Slate, we walked in, and DH said, "What about this color, it's so nice." :roll:

DH was also convinced the paint would be poor quality, but it turned out to be really nice. The one recommendation I have is to ask how long they've had the cans sitting in the back of the store. Since they don't mix the paint right there for you when you buy it, you want to have the newest arrivals. Not that you know if they're telling the truth, but it won't hurt to ask.

"Grey" is typically used in the UK, "gray" in the US. Although, I think I spell it "grey" more often than not. Both are correct.

As for your other question, I'm not even going to touch it. :cheeky: There's an interesting discussion about it here:
http://www.italki.com/answers/question/65803.htm

Okay, the spelling of gray. I wondered about this when my son's spelling list included that word so I had looked it up a few weeks back.

The easy way to remember is in America, it's gray. In England, it's grey.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC--I like it! Thanks for sharing.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
These aren't mine but I pinned them to one of my Pinterest boards. They're the Billy bookcases from IKEA and the homeowners modified them a bit. I love them. I'd love to do something like this in our guest room and hang a big mirror or a print above.

Billy bookcases.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My photos are crap since they're from my Droid, but I also organize by color and find it really easy to find things. And, I am a librarian with librarian friends and it kind of horrifies them that my books aren't arranged in proper order, but I wouldn't have it any other way--I am not a very organized librarian. :cheeky:

2012-03-22_17-14-22_752.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a great thread. I was so inspired by Haven's color coordinated bookshelves... so beautiful-- thank you all for posting - this thread is an inspiration--- been working all day to arrange things by color... Low and behold!... all my sailing, sea adventures books are in blue!!! here's mine...

book787.jpg

books45.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The organizing by color is something that would have never crossed my mind! We must have some right brained people around here! :)) Mine are organized by topic or author. I don't have a lot of books on my great room shelves, but they are the only ones I have a picture of! I have some favorite books mixed in with special art objects and photos. I also have two really pretty tall bookcases with all my education/reading related books and a couple of other bookcases around the house.

IMG_2444.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love all the bookshelves and books! Haven, what a beautiful display by color- love it! I wish I could say ours were organized in any way but I still haven't gotten around to it. There are lots of things on my to do organize list LOL. I just need some motivation and energy and your thread might just be it. :appl:

So while ours is not as aesthetically pleasing since there is absolutely no organization I will share it because my dh built it from scratch. And I love that. Sorry for the mess though.

I added a view of 3 of our cat carriers (the pink one is Francesca's of course) on the top...my dh is still waiting for me to find a better place for them. :bigsmile:
And on the bottom shelf you can see a cheesy fake bouquet that my dh insisted on buying me at city hall- the first time we got married. I didn't want to get them because I thought they were too expensive ($20) and my dh said, this is our wedding day- and I'm getting it for you. LOLOLOL...well, I still have them all these years later and smile whenever I see them.

library.jpeg

IMG_20120322_210457.jpg

IMG_20120322_210452.jpg

IMG_20120322_210439.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
one more photo .... we turned the living room into a library, reading room... since Kindle most of my books are on kindle, but I do love having these books for reference and to turn to and I must say I wish most of my kindle books were hard copies!!! I'm not quite as good as as Haven arranging by color but trying...

books in living room3.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh, love your bookshelves gardengloves! Nice!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Missy, I love the light blue background on your cases......

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So wonderful!!!

We have 4 book cases in the living room, 3 in the office, 1 in the guest bedroom (oh... plus I put shelves in the guest closet and made it into a bookcase), and 5 in the theater room. They are all a mess right now as we just shifted them all around. I need to get everything back sorted again.

So.... Does anyone keep a spreadsheet or anything to keep track of everything in their collections?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1332478909|3154896 said:
So wonderful!!!

We have 4 book cases in the living room, 3 in the office, 1 in the guest bedroom (oh... plus I put shelves in the guest closet and made it into a bookcase), and 5 in the theater room. They are all a mess right now as we just shifted them all around. I need to get everything back sorted again.

So.... Does anyone keep a spreadsheet or anything to keep track of everything in their collections?

I agree, so wonderful! I feel better now as my book collection is out of control and I LOVE seeing that others are proudly showing off their amazing "babies." Really, it's awkward that DH and I have books stacked up everywhere and only one other person I knows has her books displayed. Do some people not read? Or do they just not set their books out for display? (speaking of people I know in RL.)

I don't have a spreadsheet but started a tracking of all the books I've been reading since the start of 2011. I'm not sure why I decided to make a list, but I like to look back at the titles of the books I've read and say, "ah, yes, that was a great one." I also track the ones I tried SO HARD to get through, but simply couldn't stand them. There were two in 2011 that I tried twice to read, but kept putting down. One I have been told, I should try a third time. Maybe I'll do so, or maybe not...I just don't want to force a book...I am a strong believer that if, after a point, I can't get into a book, I should just move on and find one that I love. Life is too short and there are a hell of a lot of books out there that sound really appealing.

Do you have a spreadsheet, Toopatient?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, so many great new bookshelves and cases!!!!

Missy--I'm very impressed with your husband's handiwork. DH was planning on building built-ins for our wall before I decided to go with these Pottery Barn shelves. I love the blue background, too. They look amazing.

A spreadsheet?! Whaaaaat?! Does anyone do this? That is something I never thought of doing! (I keep a spreadsheet of Juicy Words, though--great words that I find or hear throughout the day. I have a tab for each letter, and have been doing it for years and years. I used to write them down on scrap paper and keep them in a box, so a spreadsheet is much easier to use.)

I could never maintain a spreadsheet on my books because I rotate them so much. I'm always swapping with people, giving them away and replacing them with new ones, lending them to students, or leaving them in random places with notes inside. :bigsmile: I do this mostly with the types of books that are on the shelves in these pictures, not with my big coffee table type books and my very tiny collection of first editions, inscribed, and signed books.

DH is the type to keep his books forever. I keep the ones I love enough to reread, and give away most of the other ones. My book club is always bringing in piles of books to swap with each other. It's so much more fun that way.

I do have my Shel Silverstein books from childhood, though. Complete with dated inscriptions from a very good family friend. Love those.

ETA: MC--I use Goodreads.com to keep track of books I've read. I love it!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332528160|3155210 said:
Oh my goodness, so many great new bookshelves and cases!!!!

Missy--I'm very impressed with your husband's handiwork. DH was planning on building built-ins for our wall before I decided to go with these Pottery Barn shelves. I love the blue background, too. They look amazing.

A spreadsheet?! Whaaaaat?! Does anyone do this? That is something I never thought of doing! (I keep a spreadsheet of Juicy Words, though--great words that I find or hear throughout the day. I have a tab for each letter, and have been doing it for years and years. I used to write them down on scrap paper and keep them in a box, so a spreadsheet is much easier to use.)

I could never maintain a spreadsheet on my books because I rotate them so much. I'm always swapping with people, giving them away and replacing them with new ones, lending them to students, or leaving them in random places with notes inside. :bigsmile: I do this mostly with the types of books that are on the shelves in these pictures, not with my big coffee table type books and my very tiny collection of first editions, inscribed, and signed books.

DH is the type to keep his books forever. I keep the ones I love enough to reread, and give away most of the other ones. My book club is always bringing in piles of books to swap with each other. It's so much more fun that way.

I do have my Shel Silverstein books from childhood, though. Complete with dated inscriptions from a very good family friend. Love those.

ETA: MC--I use Goodreads.com to keep track of books I've read. I love it!

Thanks, Haven, I'll have to check that site out.

Guess what? I'm getting some new shelves. Well, not new, exactly. About two years ago I sold a bookshelf on CL and I regretted it when we moved into our current house b/c we have an odd spot in our house where it would have fit perfectly. Even my DH had said it was a shame we sold it. Well, guess what? I was on CL this morning and FOUND IT listed for sale! It has to be the exact same one as it was rather unique and by a company that went out of business a number of years ago. I'm going to go pick it up this afternoon after my kids get out of school. I'm so excited that I'm tempted to take my kids out of school early! lol :cheeky:

Good think I didn't go to the Hunger Games this morning or I'd never have found it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a spreadsheet started but never had time to finish it. My collection has grown substantially since then so it will be quite an undertaking.

Since all of our books have to be re-organized anyway, I think this summer is a good time to get this done. A spreadsheet (or database?) would be great so that I can track which books we have, search by author or title or topic, and note which ones I've read.

Another thought about a complete listing of titles, authors, and paperback/hardcover (maybe even condition?) is that if anything ever happened to the house, I'd be able to provide the insurance company and accurate listing for replacement. We've got so much right now that I'd never be able to come up with a complete list off the top of my head.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1332532693|3155273 said:
I had a spreadsheet started but never had time to finish it. My collection has grown substantially since then so it will be quite an undertaking.

Since all of our books have to be re-organized anyway, I think this summer is a good time to get this done. A spreadsheet (or database?) would be great so that I can track which books we have, search by author or title or topic, and note which ones I've read.

Another thought about a complete listing of titles, authors, and paperback/hardcover (maybe even condition?) is that if anything ever happened to the house, I'd be able to provide the insurance company and accurate listing for replacement. We've got so much right now that I'd never be able to come up with a complete list off the top of my head.
Goodreads is actually great for this, too! Are you on there? You build bookshelves, and you can choose to include advanced information about each book, including if you own it. There are also fields for its condition, original purchase location, date of purchase, among other things. For example, I just looked up LOOKING FOR ALASKA, which is the John Green book I'm currently reading, and I see that I put that KayPea from PS recommended it to me in the "Recommend to me by" field. I didn't remember this, so now I have to find KayPea and thank her for the rec!

I actually do use GR to catalog the books I have in my student lending library in my office. I have a bookshelf just for them, and they can click on it and see how many copies I have of each book. I also note the name of the student who donated it to my lending library, if that applies, as well as whether students have used it for book clubs or recommended it. I only have a couple hundred books in my lending library at work, but it's nice to have a catalog that students can use to find them. (Those aren't organized in any real way either, though! Well, I keep sets of the same book together. Does that count?)

I swear I don't work for Goodreads! It's just a really great website, and super easy to use. Shelfari and LibraryThing are other similar sites that readers love, too.

Ooh, you reminded me that I have some crappy pictures of other bookshelves on Goodreads.

These are four cubbies of our family room shelves. There are 12 of these sections total. They look different now because I rearranged for the new shelves, but this is how I keep the books in our family room--I fit them in to fill up the back of each square of space. Don't hate me, librarians! It looks very nice to have that wall of books in each nook. :cheeky:
Sorry for the poor cell phone pictures.
FamilyRoomshelves.jpg
Here's part of my "lending library" at work:
Officeshelves.jpg
And my very messy office with one of my crappy black metal bookshelves:
Office.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, I'm apparently the target audience for your "lending library." :lol:

I was just at a conference the past few days and got into a spirited discussion with some guy when it turns out I read the same books as his 14 year old daughter -- kind of comical when I'm trying to pretend to be all professional and whatnot. Apparently all the rage is for the youngsters to debate whether Harry Potter or Hunger Games is better (Twilight obviously sucks).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just rearranged one of my bookcases by color. Looks really good! The only observation is that books w/certain colored spines look a lot prettier and something to keep in mine when I publish a novel :) Also, now I have to figure out what to do with all the books stacked along side of my bookcases that don't coordinate!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't color code, I would never find anything!

I arrange by subject, and because I am forgetful, I use little brass label holders to remind me of where everything goes.

If anyone would like their own label holders, they are here; http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=183

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1332800418|3156843 said:

I arrange by subject, and because I am forgetful, I use little brass label holders to remind me of where everything goes.

If anyone would like their own label holders, they are here; http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=183
I label our linen closet shelves! The labels aren't for me, though, they're for someone else who lives in our home . . .
I mean, who mixes bed linens with bath linens? Seriously. :cheeky:

MC--That's so exciting about your shelves! What serendipity, that they were for sale again!

I agree that I wouldn't want a large library to be color coded. Can you imagine?
But two shelves of fiction and a shelf of nonfiction? Easy peasy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332802232|3156867 said:

I label our linen closet shelves! The labels aren't for me, though, they're for someone else who lives in our home . . .

MC--That's so exciting about your shelves! What serendipity, that they were for sale again!

I agree that I wouldn't want a large library to be color coded. Can you imagine?

Thanks, yes, I haven't quite figured out how to decorate them yet so two of the five shelves have random stuff on them.

Our local library has book sales off in a little room to the side and I always buy books from there. They often have donated, like-new books, that are hardcover and so I got five of them ($1 each!). This is so silly but I picked them because of their COLORS! I scanned books for pretty covers that had interesting sounding stories...Now, I have another green book and two gold/yellowish books to add to my rainbow. The other two are white and are for the kids! lol

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332802232|3156867 said:

Ugh, no, can't imagine it. I have about 100 linear feet of books, so it's a lot to keep straight. I tried to post pics, but they posted sideways (?!!) so I deleted them.

I do take a certain delight in saying, at least once a week, "That's referring to (something or other) from a book in our library. Would you like me to get the book out?" Sad part is, no one in my family ever wants to see the book . . . :nono:

But IF they ever want to see the freakin' book, I can find it! :D

ETA: I actually used to have a lot more, but I cleared out about 12 linear feet a couple of months ago. Just took them out to the curb, people were coming by all day and carrying off armloads of them. It was great, watching a crowd book-browsing on the street. :bigsmile:

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the late reply, but just on the topic of spreadsheets / tracking books....

I used to have a spreadsheet, mainly for insurance purposes in case the shipping company lost all my books when moving internationally (I was horrified at the idea of losing them all!!). Then I was pointed in the direction of Librarything.com, and now I am in cataloguing heaven. :)

Sadly, nearly all of my 500+ books are still in boxes upstairs (hopefully the floor joists are strong in that room!!) as we just don't have the bookcases, or room for them, yet! Hopefully sometime...

I love all of these pics, though. Some great bookcases here!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You would absolutely hate my book collection. It is sorted in a way where I can find whatever I want: the classics are sorted chronologically (but grouped by author), the fiction by theme, the history books are also chronological, the sci-fi by author, science by theme and so on. They are also rather messy on the shelves, since some are double stacked and others simply because I left them like that.

These are the two main shelves in my bedroom, which take up two walls. There are about 16 linear meters of shelves.Books are also stacked on the floor under the window and in rolling drawers under the bed, for extra space. And a few more in the living/dining room as well.

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
RubyBeth--A room lined with bookshelves . . . heaven. I love it!

LadyD--I love your shelves! Did you hang them, yourself? If so, would you mind sharing where you found them? My mom is looking for white shelves just like that.
I love that you sort your classics chronologically!

All of the fuss about finding books is so funny. I only keep about 500 books out in the house, and I'm digging through them so often that I typically always know where a book is if I need it. If I kept a larger collection at home, I think I'd need to do a better job of organizing it, but as it is it's small enough to be manageable. I rotate them so often that organizing them would seem a bit of waste of time, anyway. I'm constantly swapping with friends.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results