shape
carat
color
clarity

Sharing on the Pricescope - 5 Tips to Stay Safe

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We care a great deal about your safety, so we created a blog post on Internet over-sharing. In the past, the moderator has had to remove photographs and information at the request of ps'ers, so we hope this will help with future posts. Diamondseeker's signature always sticks in my mind. "When in doubt, don't" - if you feel a post is over-sharing, trust your instincts.

Some of you are safety pros, so the info may be redundant, but if you are new to ps, or if you simply need a reminder, please check out the tips in the link below.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/sharing-internet-5-tips-stay-safe

Have a tip? Please feel free to share-thanks! :wavey:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you don't feel like clicking on the link, here are the tips. :))

1. Never post your address

This includes addresses on wedding invitations. It's fun to post your invites on PS to get input, but please make sure you hide any addresses, names or pertinent location information.

2. Choose a username carefully

It's best to use a name that does not identify you. Please avoid using first and last names, and you may want to consider avoiding nicknames and other site login names. People are increasingly easy to find via search engines, so choosing a username that is general and does not connect to your real name is wise. Google your username to see what you find. The more general, the better.

3. Be vague about your location

If you live in a large metropolitan area, then you have a bit more anonymity than someone in a small town like Cozahome, Arkansas. (Yes that is a real city!) It is best to keep your location general. It is now commonplace to be identified by location, so take care when posting on Pricescope. Also be vague about your everyday comings and goings; avoid specifics about trips to the coffee shop, mall, or grocery store.

4. Leave out vacation dates

Getting tips and sharing about travel can be lots of fun, but please do not share specific dates. Be vague about when you are traveling if you are seeking advice on seasonal destinations. No one needs to know when your house will be empty.

5. Share photos with caution

We share personal photos on the forums, but remember that the forum is public. Have fun, but please post with caution. Take care when sharing pictures of jewelry, cars, homes, and yourself. Remember that just hiding your face in a photograph may not be enough-especially if the surroundings in the photo are recognizable. The Internet has brought us all closer, but it has also made us easier to find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a great refresher Coati, and applies to the internet as a whole. not just PS.

For as many wonderful people are on here... there are lurkers who see "Diamond Board" and think 'score.' I had nearly all my jewelry (fortunately I was wearing my diamonds) stolen from me 2 years ago. It ended up being a couple of junkie college kids, but before the cops caught them (I got about 50% of my stuff stolen back) my husband and I wondered if there was a PS connection. There wasn't. But the point is that there could have been.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Be especially careful using photos from cell phone cameras. Some cell phones will embed your location in the photo. You can disable this (I think incredibly pointless) feature. To find out how to disable this feature, ask at the place you bought your phone, they will help you to turn it off.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Less of a security issue, but people can be identified by their pet's names and pictures. Of course the viewer has to know the member in real life first, but it is possibly to "out" somebody based on pet info. If you have several pets and list their names in the same post, that post will come up in google if somebody searches for the pet names. I had this issue in the past with my 3 cats. Somebody found one of my online identities based on my pets' names. It makes it easy for somebody to stalk you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1290219767|2773651 said:
Less of a security issue, but people can be identified by their pet's names and pictures. Of course the viewer has to know the member in real life first, but it is possibly to "out" somebody based on pet info. If you have several pets and list their names in the same post, that post will come up in google if somebody searches for the pet names. I had this issue in the past with my 3 cats. Somebody found one of my online identities based on my pets' names. It makes it easy for somebody to stalk you.

:o This surprises the heck out of me.

I do list my pet's names. I have no idea how they would be tracked to me though. Off to ask the mods to delete a post or two.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I am not comfortable with using real life photos as avatars, especially ones with their kids in them, what if some shady character decided to kidnap the kid for ransom? But I guess people are more open these days, with Facebook and all.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Great post - thank you!

I wish we had an Edit button as well though.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This thread was a great idea. The newer people might not realize and I know from my own experience that sometimes posters can get caught up in the excitement and forget that it isnt only fellow trustworthy psers seeing their posts. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results